Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Beta Events to Launch this March

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Source: http://www.gamebandits.com/news/guild-wars-2-open-beta-to-launch-this-march-31044/

"

ArenaNet has announced that the beta for Guild Wars 2 will start this coming March. ArenaNet president Mike O’Brien, through an official Guild Wars 2 blog post, says that the team is trying to get the testing process underway. The team has finished with their first closed beta test and are eager to hold larger beta testing.

Those who would like to participate in the beta must know that next month, the invitation process will start. O’Brien reveals that they will be choosing representatives of the press to participate in the open beta. In March and April, the beta test events will be a whole lot bigger with interested players being allowed to participate. ArenaNet’s president feels it right to assure fans that the Guild Wars 2 will be released later this year. However, there is still no word of an official launch date. Maybe, the developers are still depending heavily on the results of the beta testing.

Last week, Guild Wars 2 writer Angel Leigh McCoy reported that the game is doing well under development and that the team is planning to hold an beta. Apparently, Guild Wars 2 is gearing up to be one of the year’s biggest MMO releases. It looks to be worthy of being mentioned side by side with TOR and The Secret World. Because of this, the usual World of Warcraft concerns pop up just like when Star Wars – The Old Republic was about to be released.

Screenshot from Guild Wars 2 (Credit: ArenaNet)

Screenshot from Guild Wars 2 (Credit: ArenaNet)

Will this new MMO, as well as the other 2012 MMO releases, prove to be devastating to WoW? Will Guild Wars 2 steal away some of WoW’s current subscribers? We have to keep on waiting for updates. For now, the game is still gearing towards a testing process that could help polish it further."

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

That beta is anything but open...

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by bossalinie

Yeah my bad I eagerly misread it.  Updated title :)

"O’Brien reveals that they will be choosing representatives of the press to participate in the open beta. "

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

^^And many recent Closed betas have been anything but closed...

Either way, it's damn exciting if you ask me :)

• merieke82merieke82 Member Posts: 165

"It looks to be worthy of being mentioned side by side with TOR and The Secret World."

Huh?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by merieke82

"It looks to be worthy of being mentioned side by side with TOR and The Secret World."

Huh?

haha yeah :)

Huh?

I think it's got a fair chance of being 'better' (at least in my opinion, for me) than both TOR and TSW.

TOR is not for me.  I don't think very highly of it, but understand why it was designed the way it was.

TSW looks really interesting to me and I hope it'll be a great game... but GW2 is my most anticipated MMO right now.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

I see three threads on this subject on the first page, this is the fourth.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Topic is misleading and derived information from a 3rd party site is NEVER accurate, sorry to say.  Nowhere did they confirm sign-ups next month nor the actual "Open Beta" in "March".

Read the exact info here: http://www.arena.net/blog/dragon

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• merieke82merieke82 Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by DeaconX

Huh?

I think it's got a fair chance of being 'better' (at least in my opinion, for me) than both TOR and TSW.

TOR is not for me.  I don't think very highly of it, but understand why it was designed the way it was.

TSW looks really interesting to me and I hope it'll be a great game... but GW2 is my most anticipated MMO right now.

It's just a very odd quote. The article sounds like it was written by someone with very little knowledge of the MMO scene. Whether or not you like where GW2 is going, it's one of the biggest releases for 2012 so of course it's "worthy of being mentioned."

And the comment about whether or not GW2 is going to take subs from WoW ... I don't think anyone seriously considers GW2 a threat to WoW subs. Or, even if GW2 does significantly impact WoW subs does anyone really care? Why does that need to be postulated in this article?

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Jessina

Topic is misleading and derived information from a 3rd party site is NEVER accurate, sorry to say.  Nowhere did they confirm sign-ups next month nor the actual "Open Beta" in "March".

Yeah I think this is probably a delayed (and poorly) reported reaction to that. As they did not link the source hard to tell. 

Still it does sound like the end is in sight.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

We will see and we will judge if the game lives up to player's expectations.Till then everything is just bubble talk.

Till now every mmo comes out is a piece of fail.

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Heh. I definitely think it'll have a chance of being better than TOR and The Secret World.

I'm a xenophile, which is a strange thing. Human nature generally dictates that people remain with familiar settings, it's a survival override. So generally people hate being adventurous, dislike different things, and generally are more stuck in their ways than most of the autistic people I know. (I am reallly not kidding about this, I've known more open-minded autistic people who welcome change more freely than people who're neurotypical. It's weird.)

The point of this is that I crave new experiences. I am absolutely sick of tired of playing Generic, Handsome/Sexy Human Hero in Equally Generic Fantasy/Sci-Fi Land™. This describes far, far too many mainstream games out there. The lowest common denominator sadly demands that things must be this way, and this is why TOR chose the most boring races possible. In fact, TOR is worse than Star Trek when it comes to aliens, since all of them are humans with differently coloured skin and bumpy foreheads. So alien! Even Star Trek Online does better! And it does so much better.

The Secret World, again, is an incredibly boring setting. Not only that, but everything The Secret World is doing has been done better by the World of Darkness setting (old and new). TSW really just seems like a cheap, slave-labour knock off of White Wolf's world. The imagination just isn't there though, TSW just tends to be very black & white. You have good guys and bad guys, and the only thing it has going for it is its ALL THE CONSPIRAMACIES ARE TRUE angle.

But regardless, TSW pales in comparison to World of Darkness. And the playable options there are just, once again, very boring. I mean, its Asian group is called 'The Dragons' for crying out loud. Could you even try to be more typical and average? Could you? Could you possibly try to be more average, Funcom? And this bothers me, because it's all really bloody boring. I'm sure it's going to be comforting and therapeutic to people who want to play the same thing day in, day out, day in, day out, forevermore. But for me it just drives me crazy.

No matter what the medium, whether it's books, films, or games, I hate generic shit. At least try to exercise yoru own imagination and personality. The fact is is that the likes of TSW and TOR have no identity of their own. If these games were people, they would be stereotypical accountants. I mean, they'd be good people, sure, but if I had to sit down and talk with one of them then I'd be asleep in a matter of minutes. And if I had to force myself to stay awake then I'd likely find the proceedings physically painful.

These games are as mind-rottingly, incessantly dull as being shown family holiday slides.

Hooray for the lowest common denominator.

As a xenophile, I find this absolutely exasperating. This means that I don't game as often as I would, otherwise. Instead I have my head buried in comic books, books, certain films and TV shows, and cartoons, but games... games specifically are languishing in this sort of Familiarity Quagmire. Oh look, another WW II shooter. Another modern skirmishing game. Another generic fantasy game. Over, and over, and over. I'm just old, 'kay? I remember the home computer days when gaming was wildly varied and interesting.

Really, the biggest hope for me has been independent developers, because you can get some real gems, there. Have you played Rochard? If you haven't, do yourself and me a favour and play Rochard. It's a joy. And it's got the best use of gravity in any game I've ever played. It's brilliant stuff. About halfway through it you do get a 'gun after a fashion' but you can completely opt not to use it, as I did. They just put it there for you know who.

Then you have independents like To the Moon and Gemini Rue, both of which I recommend as being two of the best stories I was told in 2011. Gemini Rue is even a philosophical treatise on consciousness, consicence, identity, and personality. And whilst I may not have agreed with all of the inclusions it came to, at least it had a conclusion with some weight to it. There's a lot of intellectual worth to Gemini Rue, and it's worth experiencing at least once, because it is, as I like to emphasise, something a bit different.

So, how's this relevant to GW2?

I'd say that this is the reason.

In all my time of gaming I haven't seen anything quite like it.

• It's a beast race but not a typical one. It's actually more like were-creatures. Often, wheen beast races are done they're very human-like in their nature and they don't really display anything culturally that stands out or truly exhibits their alien physiology. See Skyrim.

• The Black Citadel is... gods damn. I mean, you can see their construction style all over it. Just... look at it. Shush for a moment and look at it. You can tell from looking that the charr don't cast metal the way we do. I gather that this is because they originally started off with bronzed devourer husks (because the charr do tend to like devourers), this would lead to metals being cast upon those and having a more curved nature. This would also explain why charr construction has a mildlly insectoid feel to it. This game has me thinking things like this.

• Just wandering through the Black Citadel you can see how alien it is. Here, you have a clearly highly intelligent race of creatures which are also organised and militaristic. They have a level of intelligence which could easily be designed as equal to or possibly even superior to human intelligence. And all of what they have is self-built. No magicks involved. It's all thanks to them having figured out industry and having buitl themselves a factory city. A factory city.

• Clockpunk is underused. I love clockpunk, and I love dieselpunk. Dieselpunk is horribly underused too... you know, I really want to see more games use more exotic dieselpunk locales. Steampunk is common, we've been there and done that a billion times over with dieselpunk, but according to the lore everything the charr make is essentially clockwork. This requires a level of understanding and intricacy of production that goes well beyond what we've seen in any fantasy setting before.

• Even in books, films, and comic books, the only race that really comes to mind as being as original as the charr is the Kzinti. And that I'm comparing them with Niven once again speaks volumes of the sort of thing we have on our hands here.

• I would really like to point out how insectoid the Black Citadel looks again. Just take a gander at that video. It has things in it which can only be described as 'mechanical sphincters,' they're like shutters on cameras, and there's so much about it that just makes it feel liek a hive. It's something that I want to explore and understand because I've never walked through anything like it.

• This is the first instance of equal rights between genders in an MMO which is not only supported by the lore, but visually too. The women wear the same armour as the men and they're every bit as capable. Thankfully ArenaNet didn't try to just sex up the charr. I have nothing against pervy furry art considering how open-minded I am, but with a race like the charr, and their particular history, you'd expect there to be true equality there. I also think that they're the only race in MMO history that's had an event where one gender was suppressed.

Could totally go on like this.

I am excited.

It's not the game I'm excited about, but specifically the charr and the Black Citadel because I'm a xenophile.

This is genuinely new. This is genuinely interesting. I want to poke it and learn about it. I want to very, very, very much. And this is why, from a personal standpoint, TOR and TSW will just pale by comparison, because there is no charr and no Black Citadel in either of them.

(Whoops, link didn't take.)

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

Heh. I definitely think it'll have a chance of being better than TOR and The Secret World.

I'm a xenophile, which is a strange thing. Human nature generally dictates that people remain with familiar settings, it's a survival override. So generally people hate being adventurous, dislike different things, and generally are more stuck in their ways than most of the autistic people I know. (I am reallly not kidding about this, I've known more open-minded autistic people who welcome change more freely than people who're neurotypical. It's weird.)

The point of this is that I crave new experiences. I am absolutely sick of tired of playing Generic, Handsome/Sexy Human Hero in Equally Generic Fantasy/Sci-Fi Land™. This describes far, far too many mainstream games out there. The lowest common denominator sadly demands that things must be this way, and this is why TOR chose the most boring races possible. In fact, TOR is worse than Star Trek when it comes to aliens, since all of them are humans with differently coloured skin and bumpy foreheads. So alien! Even Star Trek Online does better! And it does so much better.

The Secret World, again, is an incredibly boring setting. Not only that, but everything The Secret World is doing has been done better by the World of Darkness setting (old and new). TSW really just seems like a cheap, slave-labour knock off of White Wolf's world. The imagination just isn't there though, TSW just tends to be very black & white. You have good guys and bad guys, and the only thing it has going for it is its ALL THE CONSPIRAMACIES ARE TRUE angle.

But regardless, TSW pales in comparison to World of Darkness. And the playable options there are just, once again, very boring. I mean, its Asian group is called 'The Dragons' for crying out loud. Could you even try to be more typical and average? Could you? Could you possibly try to be more average, Funcom? And this bothers me, because it's all really bloody boring. I'm sure it's going to be comforting and therapeutic to people who want to play the same thing day in, day out, day in, day out, forevermore. But for me it just drives me crazy.

No matter what the medium, whether it's books, films, or games, I hate generic shit. At least try to exercise yoru own imagination and personality. The fact is is that the likes of TSW and TOR have no identity of their own. If these games were people, they would be stereotypical accountants. I mean, they'd be good people, sure, but if I had to sit down and talk with one of them then I'd be asleep in a matter of minutes. And if I had to force myself to stay awake then I'd likely find the proceedings physically painful.

These games are as mind-rottingly, incessantly dull as being shown family holiday slides.

As a xenophile, I find this absolutely exasperating. This means that I don't game as often as I would, otherwise. Instead I have my head buried in comic books, books, certain films and TV shows, and cartoons, but games... games specifically are languishing in this sort of Familiarity Quagmire. Oh look, another WW II shooter. Another modern skirmishing game. Another generic fantasy game. Over, and over, and over. I'm just old, 'kay? I remember the home computer days when gaming was wildly varied and interesting.

Really, the biggest hope for me has been independent developers, because you can get some real gems, there. Have you played Rochard? If you haven't, do yourself and me a favour and play Rochard. It's a joy. And it's got the best use of gravity in any game I've ever played. It's brilliant stuff. About halfway through it you do get a 'gun after a fashion' but you can completely opt not to use it, as I did. They just put it there for you know who.

Then you have independents like To the Moon and Gemini Rue, both of which I recommend as being two of the best stories I was told in 2011. Gemini Rue is even a philosophical treatise on consciousness, consicence, identity, and personality. And whilst I may not have agreed with all of the inclusions it came to, at least it had a conclusion with some weight to it. There's a lot of intellectual worth to Gemini Rue, and it's worth experiencing at least once, because it is, as I like to emphasise, something a bit different.

• It's a beast race but not a typical one. It's actually more like were-creatures. Often, wheen beast races are done they're very human-like in their nature and they don't really display anything culturally that stands out or truly exhibits their alien physiology. See Skyrim.

• The Black Citadel is... gods damn. I mean, you can see their construction style all over it. Just... look at it. Shush for a moment and look at it. You can tell from looking that the charr don't cast metal the way we do. I gather that this is because they originally started off with bronzed devourer husks (because the charr do tend to like devourers), this would lead to metals being cast upon those and having a more curved nature. This would also explain why charr construction has a mildlly insectoid feel to it. This game has me thinking things like this.

• Just wandering through the Black Citadel you can see how alien it is. Here, you have a clearly highly intelligent race of creatures which are also organised and militaristic. They have a level of intelligence which could easily be designed as equal to or possibly even superior to human intelligence. And all of what they have is self-built. No magicks involved. It's all thanks to them having figured out industry and having buitl themselves a factory city. A factory city.

• Clockpunk is underused. I love clockpunk, and I love dieselpunk. Dieselpunk is horribly underused too... you know, I really want to see more games use more exotic dieselpunk locales. Steampunk is common, we've been there and done that a billion times over with dieselpunk, but according to the lore everything the charr make is essentially clockwork. This requires a level of understanding and intricacy of production that goes well beyond what we've seen in any fantasy setting before.

• Even in books, films, and comic books, the only race that really comes to mind as being as original as the charr is the Kzinti. And that I'm comparing them with Niven once again speaks volumes of the sort of thing we have on our hands here.

• I would really like to point out how insectoid the Black Citadel looks again. Just take a gander at that video. It has things in it which can only be described as 'mechanical sphincters,' they're like shutters on cameras, and there's so much about it that just makes it feel liek a hive. It's something that I want to explore and understand because I've never walked through anything like it.

• This is the first instance of equal rights between genders in an MMO which is not only supported by the lore, but visually too. The women wear the same armour as the men and they're every bit as capable. Thankfully ArenaNet didn't try to just sex up the charr. I have nothing against pervy furry art considering how open-minded I am, but with a race like the charr, and their particular history, you'd expect there to be true equality there. I also think that they're the only race in MMO history that's had an event where one gender was suppressed.

I am excited.

It's not the game I'm excited about, but specifically the charr and the Black Citadel because I'm a xenophile.

This is genuinely new. This is genuinely interesting. I want to poke it and learn about it. I want to very, very, very much. And this is why, from a personal standpoint, TOR and TSW will just pale by comparison, because there is no charr and no Black Citadel in either of them.

Ahh

What would I do without your famed text walls?

Thank you for that video, I finally found out what happened to Stormcaller

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

Originally posted by dinams

I am excited.

Ahh

there would be less to quote without reason

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by semantikron

Originally posted by dinams

I am excited.

Ahh

there would be less to quote without reason

You did that on purpose didnt you? Do you know how annoying it is to read a wall of quoted text followed by only a single line? Tsk!

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

I am excited.

You just won a fan. Love it or hate it, well written and easy to read wall of text. Doesnt happen many times in forums...i can do it thats for sure. Nice. image

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by Clerigo

TL DR; GW2 ROCKS WOOOO!

You just won a fan. Love it or hate it, well written and easy to read wall of text. Doesnt happen many times in forums...i can do it thats for sure. Nice. image

He's/She's had a lot of practice.

This is not a game.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Huh?

Yeah that article looks like it was written either by someone who only just heard about GW2 for the first time or for an audience who has not yet heard about the game.  There were many similarly questionable elementary statements in there. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

"In February we’ll invite select press to participate in beta testing, and in March and April we’ll aggressively ramp up the size of our beta test events so that many of you will have a chance to participate. "

From the very link you yourself provided. They can't misquote themselves. So yeah....

Originally posted by itgrowls

"In February we’ll invite select press to participate in beta testing, and in March and April we’ll aggressively ramp up the size of our beta test events so that many of you will have a chance to participate. "

From the very link you yourself provided. They can't misquote themselves. So yeah....

Yeah and that definitely does NOT equal: 

"beta for Guild Wars 2 will start this coming March. ArenaNet president Mike O’Brien, through an official Guild Wars 2 blog post, says that the team is trying to get the testing process underway."

This implies that an entirely different kind of beta is starting for the very first time in March.  Trying to get the testing process underway?  They've already got closed beta underway.  Again, this implies that Anet is trying to start a new kind of beta, presumably an open beta, which simply has not been announced.    

"In March and April, the beta test events will be a whole lot bigger with interested players being allowed to participate."

It has NOT yet been announced that "interested players" will be allowed to participate in the March and April beta events.  This is nowhere on the GW2 official blog as the article states.

Don't forget to factor in terrible journalistic sentences like "Maybe, the developers are still depending on the results of the beta testing" (Maybe? So this is just a side speculation that should have been scratched by an editor somewhere in the process of publication--not to mention the random comma after "maybe");  or "Apparently, Guild Wars 2 is gearing up to be one of the year’s biggest MMO releases." (Apparently? Did the author just hear about GW2 for the first time?); or "Those who would like to participate in the beta must know that next month, the invitation process will start." (Not even an English sentence.)

I'm sorry, on forums, in game chat, in instant messages or texts, grammar and well constructed sentences that express clear ideas don't necessarily mean a whole lot, but in the world of journalism--on any level--they are legitimate indicators of credibility.  

This link has little significance as far as actual news goes.  Anyone who bends this info to fit the actual announcements simply demonstrates the effects of biased desires on a human perspective.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by bossalinie

Well you see... their "closed beta" was freinds and family and so their "open beta" will be closed. and their pre-order will be open with a wipe.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Homitu

"beta for Guild Wars 2 will start this coming March. ArenaNet president Mike O’Brien, through an official Guild Wars 2 blog post, says that the team is trying to get the testing process underway."

This implies that an entirely different kind of beta is starting for the very first time in March.  Trying to get the testing process underway?  They've already got closed beta underway.  Again, this implies that Anet is trying to start a new kind of beta, presumably an open beta, which simply has not been announced.    

"In March and April, the beta test events will be a whole lot bigger with interested players being allowed to participate."

It has NOT yet been announced that "interested players" will be allowed to participate in the March and April beta events.  This is nowhere on the GW2 official blog as the article states.

Don't forget to factor in terrible journalistic sentences like "Maybe, the developers are still depending on the results of the beta testing" (Maybe? So this is just a side speculation that should have been scratched by an editor somewhere in the process of publication--not to mention the random comma after "maybe");  or "Apparently, Guild Wars 2 is gearing up to be one of the year’s biggest MMO releases." (Apparently? Did the author just hear about GW2 for the first time?); or "Those who would like to participate in the beta must know that next month, the invitation process will start." (Not even an English sentence.)

I'm sorry, on forums, in game chat, in instant messages or texts, grammar and well constructed sentences that express clear ideas don't necessarily mean a whole lot, but in the world of journalism--on any level--they are legitimate indicators of credibility.  

This link has little significance as far as actual news goes.  Anyone who bends this info to fit the actual announcements simply demonstrates the effects of biased desires on a human perspective.

Sorry his direct quote hurt your feelings there and sorry you still can't read it properly, hmmm maybe it's staring at the screen while mad that's causing your issue. Perhaps if you stepped away from the computer more often you'd be less angry at people proving you wrong. So let's look at it again from a better perspective. First, he did say right there in the sentence that the next stage of beta events will begin in feb (it's purely symantics to called it open or not) second, he did say he was expanding the beta to include people outside of the press, that;s the possible future players of the game not family and friends, and lastly he does say the word March and April in his statement. Last time i checked those were definite months a series of definite times that can be measured, so yeah it's varified by the man himself on Anets website no less.

And let me just point out that not only was this the man himself speaking on their very own website not some press event, it is also well known by the fans that they never planned a standard open beta where you could play through an entire game in a three week period losing all mystery and wonder when the game launches. 

Kinda makes you wonder why you were argumentative to my pointing out the problem with your post doesn't it when all the facts are right there on Mike's own statement on Anets own website. It certainly is a mystery to me but to each their own i guess.

Oops almost forgot, down at the bottom of his post on that same page there's a link to that blog that specifically says "Stay tuned to this blog for information on how to participate in an upcoming beta event" if that's not an invitation to the public i can't imagine what is.

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

I am excited.

Sounds like you are excited by the impression that ANet refuse to proceed with the realization of ingame stuff unless it is utterly informed by their vision of its source.  This will enable you to indulge your xenophilia no matter where you are in game, as everything you encounter will appear to originate in something other than what you have experienced before (even if its surface qualities seem familiar, like a Norn or even a human would).  Daniel Dociu talked about this when asked what he was looking forward to playing after release.  His answer was the Sylvari for the general reason you give about the Charr.  His impression was that the overall experience of playing a Sylvari character would be something truly new in the space.  But I think we'll find that genuine experience of otherness pretty much everywhere.

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

Originally posted by Homitu

<snip>

<>

Sorry his direct quote hurt your feelings there and sorry you still can't read it properly, hmmm maybe it's staring at the screen while mad that's causing your issue. Perhaps if you stepped away from the computer more often you'd be less angry at people proving you wrong. So let's look at it again from a better perspective. First, he did say right there in the sentence that the next stage of beta events will begin in feb (it's purely symantics to called it open or not) second, he did say he was expanding the beta to include people outside of the press, that;s the possible future players of the game not family and friends, and lastly he does say the word March and April in his statement. Last time i checked those were definite months a series of definite times that can be measured, so yeah it's varified by the man himself on Anets website no less.

And let me just point out that not only was this the man himself speaking on their very own website not some press event, it is also well known by the fans that they never planned a standard open beta where you could play through an entire game in a three week period losing all mystery and wonder when the game launches. 

Kinda makes you wonder why you were argumentative to my pointing out the problem with your post doesn't it when all the facts are right there on Mike's own statement on Anets own website. It certainly is a mystery to me but to each their own i guess.

Oops almost forgot, down at the bottom of his post on that same page there's a link to that blog that specifically says "Stay tuned to this blog for information on how to participate in an upcoming beta event" if that's not an invitation to the public i can't imagine what is.

Yes, I'm simply fuming with rage.  And I'm the one who spent a solid half paragraph making baseless, irrelevant insults at a stranger.  

As for the rest of your post, it doesn't really warrant a reply because I would only make the same points again as they still hold.  This article overreads a few quotes, then re-explains those quotes using wording that implies more than the original Anet update did.  It's not even a matter of interpretation; it's simply what those words in the English language mean.  Why even reword the quotes at all?  Just quote the Anet blog and let that do the explaining for the audience.  If the author wishes to add his own speculation and interpretation afterward, he may do so.  But it must be made clear that that is what he is doing.