Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: No 2012 Blizzcon

2»

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Guess that's supposed to happen when you take 10+ years for every title plus 2 years for every ridiculous small addon (aka "when it's ready") -you run out of stuff to present on your own conventions.

Even if Blizzcon was every 3 years they still wouldn't have enough news on their own developements to fill 2 days with.

But perhaps it's just Kotick not allowing them to spend any of his money.

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by Devokan

OW MY GAWD i just had my mommy finish the handmade panda costume i would wear are blizzcon to do the panda dance on stage.

I'm sure there are plenty of furry/cosplay conventions going on this year where you can proudly display your mother's creation image

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• ooblaoobla Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by Praetalus

Originally posted by Kyleran

Yeah, the luster is off WOW now, and has moved solidly into a declining phase (happens to every title, they had a legendary run).

I'm guessing the real emphasis is on Titan as they need to get moving on that if their money maker is moving into a long term downward trend.

If it took 7 years for the "luster" to be off WoW... that's still pretty impressive no?

Perhaps their busy working on Titan?

It is impressive but you have to remember WoW came along at exactly the right time . Many people had just got broadband for the first time and like myself wanted to play an mmo . In its original design Blizzard got WoW so right and no mmo has managed to offer a persistant world with decent pvp and pve since . Thats not to say they have been bad games but they either have been linear like AoC or pvp orientated while lacking pve like Warhammer or pve orientated with a persitant world like Lotro .

None of them have got all the ingrediants WoW had in its early years in the right measure . Hats off to Blizzard for that . But hats firmly back on for making the game too easy and destroying world pvp in one fowl swoop with thier cross server looking for a group system .

I think the sheen has worn off Blizzard and the announcement of MoP really made a lot of people see which way they wanted to take the game . WoW isn't dead yet but its dieing and  it will be a long slow protracted death though .

As for Titan I'm keeping an open mind but I believe Blizzard have pretty much ruined thier reputation as a developer in the eyes of many gamers . That will have an effect on sales . The problem is Blizzard have shown where they take a game even if the original concept is brilliant .

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Dont forget blizzcon is just 1 of 2 fan conventions they do each year, Blizzard also have the World wide invitational event, they announced SC2 at that back in 2009? 2008?

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

This is pretty expected from most people, Blizz is ending a release cycle right now.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

It is possible that they plan for MoP and Diablo 3 to be out a couple/few months before Blizzcon would have been held, so without something big on the horizon it didn't make much sense to have the convention.

I think that 2013 Blizzcon may be early next year, and that will be when they start teasing Titan.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Wow, some of you guys are so blinded with hate it's just ridiculous. Hell, if Blizzard donated all of its profits to charity I am pretty sure you will still find a reason to hate them for that.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

there was another time they didn't have a Blizzcon, there is no conspiracy lol

i guess the people desperate for blizzard to fail because blizzard somehow ruined their life will keep making up stuff lol.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Originally posted by fivoroth

Wow, some of you guys are so blinded with hate it's just ridiculous. Hell, if Blizzard donated all of its profits to charity I am pretty sure you will still find a reason to hate them for that.

Blizzard ruined their lives can't you see that hahaha.

they need their hate to feel alive :P

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201

profit hasn't been very good for them lately is the real reason...they take way to long to release anything and that just doesn't fly anymore when other companies can release game back to back and be triple aa titles...death of blizzard is incoming...

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by zephermarkus

profit hasn't been very good for them lately is the real reason...they take way to long to release anything and that just doesn't fly anymore when other companies can release game back to back and be triple aa titles...death of blizzard is incoming...

A company like Blizzard will never die, they'll just evolve if it ever came to that, which it probably won't.

Blizzard would make a great publisher, don't you think guys?

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

Guess the shake up is bigger than we though.  D3's behind schedule and being semi-overhauled and Titan's won't be ready for the spotlight by October?  Activision is having a very positive affect on Blizzard apparently ...

Fanboy it up, but I'd start shorting the stock if I could.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by dreamsofwar

A company like Blizzard will never die, they'll just evolve if it ever came to that, which it probably won't.

Blizzard would make a great publisher, don't you think guys?

Gaming industry is just like a sea of fish. The big companies eat the small one. If ever blizzard would fail and become small (With I doubt though) some bigger fish be ready to simply swallow the whole thing.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Well, let's summarize Blizzcon 2011:

1. We learned very little we didn't already know about concerning Diablo III and Heart of the Swarm.

2. We get MoP reveal that makes  people who see it throw up a little bit in their mouths (speaking from personal experience) and make it so much easier to quit WoW and try other games. The video on Youtube has more than 4 million views and more than 50% of the people who voted thumbed it down.

3. Every Alliance player was dissed at a show they paid $200 to enter or $45 dollars for a virtual ticket. The outlash was so great, the president of the company had to issue an apology.

Overall, I think Blizzcon 2011 was a disastor. That's why they aren't doing 2012.

• pandaNOTbelfpandaNOTbelf Member Posts: 1

pandas > belfs

• GudrunixGudrunix Member Posts: 149

Originally posted by expresso

Why do people assume the worst? they had no trouble selling tickets last year and sold out.

I would say I find it puzzeling they are not doing Blizzcon, they didn't announce anything at Blizzcon 2010 either so having nothing to announce is not an issue.

Blizzrad do make a lost on these events though so maybe it's just the bean counters being causious.  You all have to rememeber that all these millions blizzard makes do not go to blizzard they go to vivendi who then give blizzard a budget to work with.  Maybe they would rather spend the blizzcon event money on development?

But yeah Blizzcon would have if anything been Titans day..oh well guess we wait a lil longer.

People are assuming the worst because canceling a long-standing event is almost always a bad sign for a company.  This is like when Steve Jobs canceled a scheduled appearance before anyone knew about his medical condition - they didn't know the reason but assumed the worst, and how bad did it turn out to be?  Pretty bad.

The expense is not the issue - it may be a justification, but it's not the issue.  Conventions are always money-losing operations, in any major industry, but companies almost always make up for them in additional sales.  Wildly popular conventions like BlizzCon are about the best possible marketing any company could buy.

I don't know the reason, but I suspect that Blizzard is facing serious trouble related to upcoming releases.  D3 may be in the worst trouble; it already is behind schedule, and there are rumors of a major revamp in process.  That isn't a good sign.  WoW is also slumping at the moment, and the reactions to Mists of Pandaria were . . . mixed.  SC2 expansion is the only one that hasn't been hit by rumors of things going badly - but that is not their biggest ticket item coming up.  Titan is a non-issue, no way are they going to announce a new MMO with a packed release schedule and WoW looking vulnerable for the first time in years.

My suspicion:  Blizzard is in way over its head with its release schedule, and is now in all-hands-on-deck mode trying to fight fires and keep the ship from sinking.  I say this with no hate from me for Blizzard - I hope they get some great games out.  But it's impossible to ignore the warning signs, and the canceling of BlizzCon is a very big one.