Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Making of an MMORPG

lokanalokana Sacramento, CAPosts: 5Member

Hey guys.  So I'm leading team of a little under 20 art and programming students and recent graduates working at an unfunded game studio in an attempt to make the next big MMO.  I know, a new craptastic MMO comes out every week, each promising to be amazing, so this, in and of itself, doesn't impress anyone.  Even worse, we're so early in production, that we don't really have anything to show anyone on our boring website other than some concept art that I made about 10 years ago when I was originally planning on turning this story line into an animated series rather than a game.  And considering I'm not even an artist on the team(I'm the writer), you can imagine that concept art isn't really that good compared to what the real artists on the team are coming up with(which I hope to post soon!)

However, what some of you *might* be interested in is the fact that I've been documenting our journey from just one guy living in the Game Development Deadzone that is Sacramento, CA, trying to recruit locally, a large and amazing team to create what we hope is a great game one day.  Will we succeed or will this be a colossal failure as most attempts are?  To find out, you can follow our blog through Facebook or Twitter following the links on the bottom of each page on our site.

-Brian

Comments

• MetentsoMetentso BarcelonaPosts: 1,436Member Uncommon

Very interesting Brian, I will be checking your site regularly. Wish you the best!

• MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,419Member Uncommon
    What language did you all learn to handle the Hero Engine? Also what's the FB page and twitter?

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Yakima, WAPosts: 609Member

no clown armor!!! sounds awesome. Good Luck in what looks and sounds to be an awesome adventure!

I've got the straight edge.

• lokanalokana Sacramento, CAPosts: 5Member

Thanks for the encouragement guys.  There's not really much about game play / features mentioned.  It's not that I'm afraid people will steal my ideas.  I think sitting around coming up with cool ideas that have never been done in an MMO is not really that difficult.  The danger is announcing those ideas, getting people really excited about your game, and winding up not being able to get them to a state that's enjoyable and having to cut them completely or leave them in still broken.  So we're not going to be announcing features until they're working in the engine and fun.

As for the HeroEngine, it has its own scripting language.  It's similar to most object oriented programming languages.  You have your Server and Client scripts that have all your functions in them and the Data Object Manager that has all your class definitions / class methods in it.  The HeroEngine is what SWTOR was released in, although they used a very early, untested version of it, which is probably why they've been having so many problems with bugs.  HeroEngine is now free to use if anyone's interested in poking around in it www.heroengine.com

The direct link to our Blog, FB, and Twitter are:

http://dawnshinedev.blogspot.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dawnshine/177437492332869

https://twitter.com/#!/dawnshineonline

Again, thanks for checking it out.  We hope to be posting some real concept art in a week or so.

• MacroHardMacroHard Fairfax, VAPosts: 104Member

Originally posted by lokana

Thanks for the encouragement guys.  There's not really much about game play / features mentioned.  It's not that I'm afraid people will steal my ideas.  I think sitting around coming up with cool ideas that have never been done in an MMO is not really that difficult.  The danger is announcing those ideas, getting people really excited about your game, and winding up not being able to get them to a state that's enjoyable and having to cut them completely or leave them in still broken.  So we're not going to be announcing features until they're working in the engine and fun.
    As for the HeroEngine, it has its own scripting language.  It's similar to most object oriented programming languages.  You have your Server and Client scripts that have all your functions in them and the Data Object Manager that has all your class definitions / class methods in it.  The HeroEngine is what SWTOR was released in, although they used a very early, untested version of it, which is probably why they've been having so many problems with bugs.  HeroEngine is now free to use if anyone's interested in poking around in it www.heroengine.com

The direct link to our Blog, FB, and Twitter are:
    http://dawnshinedev.blogspot.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dawnshine/177437492332869
    https://twitter.com/#!/dawnshineonline

Again, thanks for checking it out.  We hope to be posting some real concept art in a week or so.

from all the things I've been reading, everyone thinks their ideas are the best anyways, so releasing ideas for community consideration will do nothing but help you improve your concept.  That's what some of the team from gamedev.net and gamasutra say, at least.

• lokanalokana Sacramento, CAPosts: 5Member

Originally posted by MacroHard

from all the things I've been reading, everyone thinks their ideas are the best anyways, so releasing ideas for community consideration will do nothing but help you improve your concept.  That's what some of the team from gamedev.net and gamasutra say, at least.

I would agree with that.  Listening to people that follow a game you're developing, can certainly be a good thing.  I can't think of how many times I've been in a closed beta for a game with hundreds of other testers that all disliked an aspect of the game, but were ignored by the dev team because the developers thought their own ideas were golden.

We're planning on bringing in testers earlier in development than most MMOs would simply because we know we're going to need a lot of feedback on some of our more unconventional features.  It'll be quite a while before we get there though.

But as I said, I'm just trying to avoid saying we're going to definitely have specific features that we end up not being able to impliment.

-Brian

• BarrikorBarrikor Phoenix, AZPosts: 330Member Uncommon

It'll be interesting to see how your team gets on, I'll be watching your project with interest.