Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers Population During Evening - EST Timezone

So, when i play during the evening (from about 7PM to 9:30PM), The fleet varies from 200 to 250 (250 being the highest i've seen).

I always look at the servers before shutting down the game.  ALL of them are either Standard, Heavy or Very Heavy.  What's the problem again?  This game is dying?  I don't think so.  I think the more Bioware fixes problems and add content, the more people will play this amazing story driven MMO.

eqnext.wikia.com

Comments

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by matraque

So, when i play during the evening (from about 7PM to 9:30PM), The fleet varies from 200 to 250 (250 being the highest i've seen).

I always look at the servers before shutting down the game.  ALL of them are either Standard, Heavy or Very Heavy.  What's the problem again?  This game is dying?  I don't think so.  I think the more Bioware fixes problems and add content, the more people will play this amazing story driven MMO.

Even if Bioware releases a statement saying they have 5 million subs and adding new servers, those same people will be saying what a failure the game is.

I wouldn't let it bother you.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    I get some will argue that bs expected to sell 4 million and only sold 2 million.so?the economy is bad everywhere most wont shell 60 $ for a mmo when they can get a full tank of gas instead and go job hunting
  • MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143

Not all servers are the same size it would seem. My server (Sedyn Kyne) is usually listed as standard and the republic fleet NEVER has more than 30 people and imp fleet maybe twice that much. It's just to hard to find a group for anything when there are less then 10 people at 50 and I'm actually gonna unsub until they can merge the server or something.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Originally posted by drbaltazar

I get some will argue that bs expected to sell 4 million and only sold 2 million.so?the economy is bad everywhere most wont shell 60 $ for a mmo when they can get a full tank of gas instead and go job hunting

Is that a rhetorical 2M or have I missed an announcement by EA Bioware? Just curious.

Also http://www.mmo-junkies.net/statistics/servers/list/ shows the status of all the servers. You can check on any server; the graphs lift the server status data. Note: they make no claims about population.

As others in this thread have said - and in the official thread on the SWTOR forums - there are calls for 'nergers' which is what you will expect going forward as some stay and some leave.  

• Tyvolus3Tyvolus3 Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by drbaltazar

I get some will argue that bs expected to sell 4 million and only sold 2 million.so?the economy is bad everywhere when they can get a full tank of gas instead and go job hunting

I guess I am in the minority who has a job and gladly shelled out $60 for a game....Skyrim.  Economy didnt seem to damage their sales at all. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Mechanism

Not all servers are the same size it would seem. My server (Sedyn Kyne) is usually listed as standard and the republic fleet NEVER has more than 30 people and imp fleet maybe twice that much. It's just to hard to find a group for anything when there are less then 10 people at 50 and I'm actually gonna unsub until they can merge the server or something.

teh servers could be the same size. the ammount of players you see on the top left of screen only shows the ammount of people in that planet / fleet. not actually the server ammount

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    And most area have different instance so they might have 3 instance of the area you in
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

The world economy is in a bad place right now. Not even peaked. 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Ehh? Ok, on my server, JekkJekk Thar, at evening EST Corellia had 18 people, Alderaan had 30 people and Voss had 16 people. There is a clear player bleed. You may like or dislike the game, but twisting facts just ain't right.

Say about Cryptic what you want, but their "one server" idea was WAY better. Why not make one server and then dozens or hundred copies of a planet? In that way you never would have a difficulty. But this is just bollocks. I predict server merges before the year is over.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by rojo6934

teh servers could be the same size. the ammount of players you see on the top left of screen only shows the ammount of people in that planet / fleet. not actually the server ammount

i think the game uses a lot of instancing too, so that the most amount of people you will see in your 'area' is 250...  but it does mean that it makes it harder to find groups, which imo, is the games biggest problem right now, its not so much a lack of people, its a lack of ability to form groups. image

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I really dont mind a small amount of people.  It actually makes questing easier.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

When SWTOR launched it had quite a load of FULL servers during the morning / afternoon (off peak times)

If populations were healthy then there should be FULL servers at peak times not just Very Heavy. There are becoming too many Light and Standard servers, and soon there will be merges which is bad for just over a months release

It doesn't help when the game creates instances to split up the population, as you will never see loads all in one area, which was possible even in SWG.

Story driven content is not enough to keep people playing, it needs more tinkering content, to keep people playing between the story driven content. Once I have maxed to 50 I will probably then just sub once a month every 6 months, and probably be able to complete all added  content that was added within the 6 months within the months subscription.

If craftting was like SWG I would be exploring the planets trying to find the best resources, and crafting and selling stuff to other players, but in SWTOR this is not very good. and so not worth it, so leaves nothing to do

The same for creating pets and mounts

Also there was the chronicle system where you could create your own content and sell / give to other players.

Basically there was more to do at 90

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

What does Standard, Heavy and Very Heavy even mean? I don't know what the numbers are for these words. Do you? It's a completely arbitrary scale. They could call it Purple, Yellow and Red and it would have the same meaning. There is a reason they choose and arbitrary scale with no actual numbers. So people are always left guessing and so there is no credibility to "doom and gloom" or "this game is beating WoW" threads.

And before anyone freaks out, I am not making any predictions. I'm saying an arbitrary scale with no numbers is pointless.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143

I very much regret picking a low pop server after hearing about server queues. There are actually some planets during prime time that are completely unpopulated by republic during prime time and only enough people at level 50 on any planet to put together a single ops group.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

You can't judge a game's population just because your server seems to be busy lol. Dear God please forgive them for they know not what they do! :)

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

I very much regret picking a low pop server after hearing about server queues. There are actually some planets during prime time that are completely unpopulated by republic during prime time and only enough people at level 50 on any planet to put together a single ops group.

This is why I never pick low pop servers. Queues are a short term nuisance. :)

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

Here's, in my opinion, the biggest mistake Bioware did so far:

-Add more servers before and at launch.

Queue is not a bad thing.  They listened to the whiners and added more servers.

There's no "light" servers at peak time, but instead of having a bunch of standards, they could have the following:

-Heavy

-Very Heavy

-Full

eqnext.wikia.com

• levin70levin70 Member Posts: 87

Here's what I have seen

The servers that were made available in early release tend to have greater populations than the servers that were created for the "official" launch.  Those servers I notice rarely hit even heavy load, let alone very or full.  Off peak they generally never move off of light.  It appears that BW/EA were expecting a significant amount more people to join upon official release than what actually occurred.  I have noticed that my server has not had a que, even at prime time since about 2 days post "official" release.  I have even noticed that my server has not hit very heavy on a few mid week peak times.  I have definately seen a drop off since early release of people playing.  My concern is 6 months from now, if the standard 50-60% unsubbing dropoff occurs that has become pretty standard for mmo's.  This will create a rush to close/merge a boatload of servers during this period.  That feeds upon itself.

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

Originally posted by Elikal

Ehh? Ok, on my server, JekkJekk Thar, at evening EST Corellia had 18 people, Alderaan had 30 people and Voss had 16 people. There is a clear player bleed. You may like or dislike the game, but twisting facts just ain't right.

Say about Cryptic what you want, but their "one server" idea was WAY better. Why not make one server and then dozens or hundred copies of a planet? In that way you never would have a difficulty. But this is just bollocks. I predict server merges before the year is over.

The JekkJekk Tar server is the unoffically Oceanic and Western US time zone server.  I think it being dead during German Prime time play hours makes sense....

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Originally posted by Mephster

You can't judge a game's population just because your server seems to be busy lol. Dear God please forgive them for they know not what they do! :)

But you can if your server is light? Dear God please have mercy upon the hypocrites of this world! ;)

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by superniceguy

When SWTOR launched it had quite a load of FULL servers during the morning / afternoon (off peak times)
    If populations were healthy then there should be FULL servers at peak times not just Very Heavy. There are becoming too many Light and Standard servers, and soon there will be merges which is bad for just over a months release

There were bucketloads of FULL servers right after launch, because the population cap per server was like 2000-2500, and they wanted the player population spread out more over the servers. That population cap has over the weeks been raised, in some cases to double that amount.

In the same line of logic, you can't judge a game's population just because your server seems to be empty in some areas at certain times. Case in point, there has been an overall decrease after the free month ended, but it isn't as high as those on low population servers think it is, and it isn't as nonexistent as those on well populated servers think it is.

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Shinanigans.  I play on Jekk Jekk.  Been there since early access.

The server is heavily populated on prime time.  Has about 140 peeople on the republic fleet on a given night.

Most zones I've been in on my level 50 and level 19 have around 50-80 people.

I will say that the GTN has taken a massive hit due to Biochem being the only crew skill to take at end game.  SWTOR has major issues, but Jekk Jekk is FAR from dead.  I know this as a fact.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by smh_alot

There were bucketloads of FULL servers right after launch, because the population cap per server was like 2000-2500, and they wanted the player population spread out more over the servers. That population cap has over the weeks been raised, in some cases to double that amount.

In the same line of logic, you can't judge a game's population just because your server seems to be empty in some areas at certain times. Case in point, there has been an overall decrease after the free month ended, but it isn't as high as those on low population servers think it is, and it isn't as nonexistent as those on well populated servers think it is.

It seems a bit stupid to raise caps AND add more servers, but even after launch and they so called raised the caps there were still loads of full servers

Populations are just declining, and will continue to decline, and faster as time goes on. People are still levlling toons up. Once people get to 50 will end up quitting unless more varied gameplay systems gets added instead of just story based content.

I have created 8 characters, and got 3 over level 10, and the resto about level 5-7. Once they are all 50 I see no reason at all to play the game any more, and will slow it down further by unsubbing and subbing. With SWGs crafting system I not only subbed constantly, but subbed multiple accounts constanly because there was a tonne of things to do in it.

If nothing decent added within 6 months then SWTOR will become deader than SWG. Most people will have had enough of it by then, paying for a game that can get equal enjoyment from many other single player games that do not require a monthly sub, and then not be able to play it at all after 8 years or maybe sooner when SWTOR shuts down.

SWG peaked to #8 on Xfire in Aug 2004, over 1 year after its release, I doubt SWTOR will be back up in the top 10 again next year, unless radical awesome stuff gets added to it.

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by smh_alot

It seems a bit stupid to raise caps AND add more servers, but even after launch and they so called raised the caps there were still loads of full servers

Populations are just declining, and will continue to decline, and faster as time goes on. People are still levlling toons up. Once people get to 50 will end up quitting unless more varied gameplay systems gets added instead of just story based content.

I have created 8 characters, and got 3 over level 10, and the resto about level 5-7. Once they are all 50 I see no reason at all to play the game any more, and will slow it down further by unsubbing and subbing. With SWGs crafting system I not only subbed constantly, but subbed multiple accounts constanly because there was a tonne of things to do in it.

If nothing decent added within 6 months then SWTOR will become deader than SWG. Most people will have had enough of it by then, paying for a game that can get equal enjoyment from many other single player games that do not require a monthly sub, and then not be able to play it at all after 8 years or maybe sooner when SWTOR shuts down.

SWG peaked to #8 on Xfire in Aug 2004, over 1 year after its release, I doubt SWTOR will be back up in the top 10 again next year, unless radical awesome stuff gets added to it.

What is SWG at on xfire right now?

In Bioware we trust!

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by godzilr1

The JekkJekk Tar server is the unoffically Oceanic and Western US time zone server.  I think it being dead during German Prime time play hours makes sense....

You assume too much.

I play during US East Coast prime time. Otherwise my critique would have made no sense, ya ne?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert