Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Professional gaming sites are way out of touch with gaming

Even the most die hard fan boy has to admit SWTOR has fell flat on it's face, but if you are still living in denial then a simple look at the server population on the official site will back me up.  Any mmo that sells 2 million copies at launch and then has empty servers 6 weeks later is an utter failure.

Anyway am not here to point out the obvious, I am here to draw your attention to this http://www.swtor.com/awards  it's a huge list of awards saying how amazing SWTOR is as an MMO.  It just goes to show how many so called "Professional" gaming sites are utterly out of touch with gaming. 

Or maybe it shows how many are easily bought ;)

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    First off, the servers aren't empty. They are packed still.

Second, it didn't fall flat on it's face either.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

ok sorry

• VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542

Where did you go to see the servers are empty? Since as far as I can see that isn't true at all.

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

Wait..

Ok?  Sorry?

Wait now..  Troll posts trolly thing, fanboy responds in expected manner, troll...says ok and stops posting.

can that happen?  You know this is the internet, more importantly the MMORPG.COM forums, and that you're supposed to beligerantly and hard headedly reply to EVERYTHING that isn't in your realm of aggreable situations.  This goes for trolls, haters, fanboys...  everyone fights like a frothing maniac about the slightest of things for days on end on these forums and you...YOU sir, say OK?  You Say..SORRY?

HOW DARE YOU SIR, you get back here right now and make this worse!  It was expected of you and how dare you let us down!

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Originally posted by Mackeh

Even the most die hard fan boy has to admit SWTOR has fell flat on it's face, but if you are still living in denial then a simple look at the server population on the official site will back me up.  Any mmo that sells 2 million copies at launch and then has empty servers 6 weeks later is an utter failure.

Anyway am not here to point out the obvious, I am here to draw your attention to this http://www.swtor.com/awards  it's a huge list of awards saying how amazing SWTOR is as an MMO.  It just goes to show how many so called "Professional" gaming sites are utterly out of touch with gaming. 

Your right it's all about kickbacks and marketing....Add in that many are just pure Starwars fans, and many of them are video game players, not mmo players !

It's not an mmo its a standard video game.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

ok sorry

I'm going to give you an award for being the first person to say sorry on mmorpg.com

Congrats!

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

Originally posted by Varking

Where did you go to see the servers are empty? Since as far as I can see that isn't true at all.

http://www.swtor.com/server-status

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

No..

NONONO

this isn't okay!  Don't pretend it's okay, don't let him think this is okay!

This is supposed to be a rabid, frothing, ridiculous conversation that brings out the oddest and wierdest of the wierd to violently quote random and possibly imaginary quotes and to spurt forth purely made up percentages and poll numbers!

THIS CANNOT HAPPEN

If we change the way things work...even once..it could show others that being human..being respectable and kind to one another is a great way to enjoy each others intelectual company and share ideas.

We cannot, CANNOT have that here.

OP, come back..make things worse pls.

I'm afraid.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

ok sorry

/Jaw drops open in disbelife.........Fatal heart attack..........Dead.

See, it's starting.  You just killed Spookydom.  I hope you're happy...YOU MANIAC!

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Kenze

you know, all those "light" servers? i thought i'd logged in wrong because i couldn't find a "dark" one. took me ages to realise that was the server load. man, do i feel stupid!

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

Originally posted by Gurpslord

We cannot, CANNOT have that here.

OP, come back..make things worse pls.

I'm afraid.

Youtube

Is it prime time for gaming? Here in the US on the east coast it is 6 AM on a weekday. Out west it is 3 AM on a weekday. Is this surprising? Check back on those during peak hours.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

You have to remember Gaming websites do not hire people that play MMOs exceppt in the most limited sense.  Writers for this site and other major MMO sites simply do not play the games they write about longer than a couple of hours.  All these companies care about is page hits which generally involves hyping up games.  They repeat company talking points because thats easier and they generally have no idea what they are talking about.

MMO websites like MMORPG.Com are responsible for many of the bad gameswe see and the decline of mmos in general.  They simply give companies free reign to put out any bad game and never question it.  They are not journalists rather theier interests are in line with hyping bad mmmos.

That being said I don't think ToR is a bad game for what it is an ultra casual MMO that is not made for veteran MMO players.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I think the baiting of fans of this game is becoming a new blood sport. I do not approve but rising to the thread bait won't help either by those who do. Let go of your hate, choose the light side of the Force. Or maybe hate can only destroy hate, er, yeah. But anyway rising to the bait will only make the baiters froth and gurgle in pleasure like when a fox is ripped to shreds by hounds in front of hunters on horses.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

Is it prime time for gaming? Here in the US on the east coast it is 6 AM on a weekday. Out west it is 3 AM on a weekday. Is this surprising? Check back on those during peak hours.

.. i wasnt making a statement about the population.. i was answering YOUR question.

"Where did you go to see the servers are empty?"

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• KhorsKhors Member Posts: 147

Your right that these gaming sites are out of touch.  Its more about the individual behind the curtain of the site that is out of touch, like MikeB, in most cases, vs the Market. One who guages a mmorpg by his first experience being WoW, without any intellectual depth about where mmorpg's came from or what should be valued within the context of traditional Massively-Multiplayer, people get false information with a dumbified impression that a product is entertainment-worthy when it actually falls-short.

This site isn't alone in their mis-representation of products, but a clear example of their review impressions being on the losing-end of audience appeal who are interested in these types of products.  One who can seriously infer that SW:TOR is innovative as a subscription-based mmorpg is soon recognized for what they are; ill-informed and lacking credibility.

.. i wasnt making a statement about the population.. i was answering YOUR question.

"Where did you go to see the servers are empty?"

I get where you were coming from, but as a whole for the OP, would this be the best time to see server pops? That is what I don't get. If this were at 6 PM EST and it was all lights on the East Coast I would be concerned.

• zoddenzodden Member UncommonPosts: 80

Don't know what your talking about. This past weekend Republic Fleet had had the most players I have seen yet.

• Brisky29Brisky29 Member Posts: 65

Perhaps server status should be checked during prime gaming times for Europe servers, and then U.S servers (U.S prime gaming tends to fall between 2300-0700 GMT roughly from the East to West coast). And make sure its not server downtime, like yesterday partially was.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

That's about the same as Warhammer Online 3 years ago.

It started good too and everyone was psyched about it.

3 years later, we use it to make fun of other games in the manner of "uh oh, I think you just got wahammered with that MMO of yours"

Did I mention that it was also an EA game?:)

First, they destroy Mythic's reputation, now BioWare...wonder who's next

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

Ok, all silliness aside.  

You know what blows my mind here?  The OP immediately said, Ok, it's cool guys, don't wana stir the hornets nest, my bad I apologize.

Despite his act of humanity the zealous came to feed anyhow.  Well, that's just...about right for this place actually.  Sad overall really, but..exactly what everyone would and should expect from this scary hell on earth.

Gotta love it.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Gurpslord
    Ok, all silliness aside.  

You know what blows my mind here?  The OP immediately said, Ok, it's cool guys, don't wana stir the hornets nest, my bad I apologize.
    Despite his act of humanity the zealous came to feed anyhow.  Well, that's just...about right for this place actually.  Sad overall really, but..exactly what everyone would and should expect from this scary hell on earth.

Gotta love it.

There is some irony in coming here with the intent of not stirring a hornet's nest of anything. Your only tool is a stir stick and the only thing to poke are hornet's nests.

** edit **
    But, in fairness, they did walk into a room full of people who like SWToR, and then shout, "SWToR can't possibly be as good as all these awards and reviews say it is!" This is after a dozen people have done the same thing with the specific intent of making everyone in the room angry. "Look before you leap" would be the advice I'd give, but I suspect the reactions were not only expected, but desired.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Indeed, sir.  

You are wise and true.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

My good sir - you GREATLY underestimate the faithfulness, zealotry, and obedience of fanbois, lol

This discussion has been closed.