Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[XBLA Thieves] - If your account is compromised, MS keeps your money!!!!!

MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

On November 22, 2011 my xbox account was compromised. I was billed for $54.61 for MS points I did not purchase. Since then I have been trying to get the money back via phone support.

They have been unable to aid with this. They keep telling me that all phone support can do is give one month of xbox live gold. With phone support like this I don't trust them at all anymore! If they have no power, why do they even have jobs? That could be an automated system and be this effective.

Every time I talk to support, I'm told the investigation is still ongoing, but that there's no new notes on the case. This investigation was suppose to take 30-31 days, but it's been 63 now. I have been trying this whole time to get my money back and them take their points back!!! They will not do it!!!

As it stands, my account is frozen, and I still do not have my money back. As of now I have NO faith in xbox support as this has taken months and nothing has been done.

I urge everyone to stop using XBLA for any purchases! If you get compromised/hacked, Xbox, Microsoft, will just keep your money!

Comments

• Omen6Omen6 Member Posts: 7

Exact same thing happened to me. Someone managed to recover my account onto there xbox somewhere in the world and charge some 2000 points.   Xbox support was horrendous. I was locked out of my account for months and eventually they told me that it's my fault because an xbox account can not be hacked.  When I tried to talk to someone more senior they hung up on me.  Yep, was a blast.  Got a good laugh when I logged onto the website and it said I had been playing Fifa soccer 2 mins ago, a game I dont own.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

My XBLA account was also compromised, in early November. I had about $127.00 of points charged to my account from MS. I immediately called Microsoft, and had them reset the password and whatnot. They for the serial number on the xbox I play on, but I only use XBLA for my Zune Pass, so they said that they couldn't investigate the issue and told me to call my bank and have them perform a chargeback for the purchases.

I called my bank, spoke with them for a bit, and had my money back in about 2 days.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

I love the reasoning "x cannot be hacked".

Even if it is your fault.. that line of thinking is just factually wrong.

Everything connected to the outside world can be hacked.  Everything.   They are probably instructed by legal to say that.

• dssasdssas Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Angier2758

I love the reasoning "x cannot be hacked".

Even if it is your fault.. that line of thinking is just factually wrong.

Everything connected to the outside world can be hacked.  Everything.   They are probably instructed by legal to say that.

Thats what sony said... now we all know better dont we

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

One more reason to just not use it at all.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

Xbox customer service is very very poor.    Wait i should try this again,   Xbox Support agents are very nice, the policies they have to follow are terrible.

Im only giving them 10$ currently because my friends insisted i play MW3 with them, but they at least have figured out i suck (on purpose :P ) So now i can go back to my happy pc gaming world.   

P.s. dont use your credit card on your account, youll find strange charge dates and poor answers, use those reloadable cards.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Time for a nice letter(an actual written letter, sent recorded delivery, they will just ignore emails) with the heading "Notification of intention to commence legal proceedings" then explain how they are holding your money illegally and you want it back plus interest. Every time I have had to send one of these letters(one to XBOX Live, one to TalkTalk, one to Barclays Bank) I have had the money back within 2 weeks

If you are in the UK then you can quote the distance selling regulations(as long as you contacted them within 7 days) which say that for any transaction performed over the phone or internet or by mail order etc, you have a 'cooling off period' of 7 days in which you can cancel the transaction for any reason you like.

Im guessing that there was a credit card saved on your account that was used for the purchase? If so then instruct the credit card company to do a chargeback. Be warned though, this will probably result in your XBOX live account being banned(even though thats illegal too)

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Same thing happened to me.  Microsoft support is not going to help get your money back, just go to your bank and lodge a dispute on the charges and let them deal with it, i was refunded in a couple of days.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

This also happened to me.  They charged it from my paypal account which debits directly from my bank.  I took the matter up with Paypal and said screw MS,   paypal contacts the vendor for you,  and Microsoft didn't object, so I had my money back in about 7 days.

• HardcodedHardcoded Member UncommonPosts: 97

same thing happend to me, and ironiclly as someone posted above it was for fifa soccer. Support is a joke, go to your bank, or call your credit card company, more than likely they will know that x-box accounts are getting hacked, hell my bank did and im in a small town in montana.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Call your credit card company, complain that Microsoft wouldn't do anything, and have them issue a chargeback. The more people who do this, the more Microsoft gets charged in fees.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by darkmyth78

same thing happend to me, and ironiclly as someone posted above it was for fifa soccer. Support is a joke, go to your bank, or call your credit card company, more than likely they will know that x-box accounts are getting hacked, hell my bank did and im in a small town in montana.

lol, yeah, fifa soccer on me too......  wth is up with fifa soccer?