Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When world of pandacraft comes out....

Comments

• TortanicTortanic Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by headphones
    i personally think pandas are idiotic as a player race and think blizz only put them in to please the chinese gold miners, but also i remember the fun over belfs. the pure hate over them was amazing.
    here's a quick challenge: has blizz released a race in an expansion that anyone liked?

Female Draenei are extremely popular.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by solarine

It's just that the western MMO playerbase seems to give any "cutesy" race a lot of flack. It's not even limited to games, really, this goes for all fantasy works.

Think Return of the Jedi and Ewoks! That movie got a lot of flack just because of the Ewoks and I'd say Ewoks actually are a big reason it's the sole movie in the classic trilogy that ranks worse than a movie from the prequel trilogy (which would be Episode III).

In WOW, Gnomes get a lot of flack for the same reason. You can see a lot of "Gnome-haters" out there! :) Likewise, whenever western players play imported Eastern games, they give small & cutesy races a lot of flack. 

So this is of little surprise. 

Silly races makes the game silly and, some, people do not want to play silly games. But I say one thing, I rather have panda monks than those prebuscent teens girls that many asian games feature. That is not only silly but also a bit disturbing.

Originally posted by jason_webb

It will never cease to amaze me how some people will have a go at something they have not seen any finalised gameplay of and of course never even played. This expansion isn't even in Beta and people are predicting how bad it will be......seriously?

The whole Panda thing is neither here nor there, it's a bloody fantasy game for the love of Pete! We have (as someone has already pointed out) giant cows and undead roaming about the place, but of course that is far more realistic than a talking Panda?!?

What it comes down to is the same as it has always been, if you don't like it, don't play it, but to put something down that you have never even played or in this case even seen any finalised gameplay on, well, what can you really say about that?

Bull > Panda

And to my knowledge there are no Kung Fu Bulls so for me Tauren are a pretty cool race. But Pandas? Could they not atleast have grizzly bears or something.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

people seriously need to stfu about the pandas, if you can accept the goddamn aliens, you can sure as hell accept something as small as pandas

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by Yamota

Bull > Panda

And to my knowledge there are no Kung Fu Bulls so for me Tauren are a pretty cool race. But Pandas? Could they not atleast have grizzly bears or something.

If possible im planning on rolling a Gnome Monk myself. Real men roll gnomes. :)

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Anyone that is actually a fan of warcraft accept panda monks.  They are one of the favored heros of Warcraft 3.

Originally posted by Rusty715

Bull > Panda

If possible im planning on rolling a Gnome Monk myself. Real men roll gnomes. :)

I effing hate gnomes... image

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by Teala

I have absolutely no horse (or panda) in this race but let me tell you why SOME people are pissed.

It all started as an April Fools Joke. It's as simple as that. It was a joke race. Not to be taken seriously. At all. Like ALL AFJ are. You were meant to be pissed at this.

BUT the W3 kiddies (read: children and immature adults) took it serious. Then Blizz took it serious. Now we have this. I work with about 10 people that play WoW. The ones wanting the pandas and the ones not wanting them can be guessed just by 1: their age and 2: maturity level. I'll just say that the pro-pandas also like My Little Pony and play Pokemon games on their DS during lunch.

THAT is the issue. The more mature players do not want WoW to become even more childish. Kung-fu pandas ARE childish, sorry but it's true.

tl;dr IT WAS A APRIL FOOLS JOKE NOT MEANT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY!

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Rusty715

Bull > Panda

I effing hate gnomes... image

And yet they are infinitely better than elves. image

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• orgashorgash Member Posts: 67

Jack Black doing the Blizzard tv commercial "i'm jack black and i'm a Pandarian monk"  will earn more $$$ than the 50 people crying over it on mmorpg.com will give blizzard a loss

Pandas in themselves weren't enough to turn me off to the game, though I do view it as brainless, childish crap best left in the Asian games.

The talent trees though?

Nope.avi

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Is the answer Space Goats? Because I really liked them and I'd hat e for them to be the ones out of place.

edit: btw the Ox man is supposed to be a Bison I believe.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• FearmeirlFearmeirl Member UncommonPosts: 231

Originally posted by nethrill

I'm quite sure that will be the end of my subscription, and i've had one since just about day one. Though the expansion might appeal to some, as far as i'm concerned they're selling out and adding a huge layer of cheezwiz on top of what was once a very cool game. How long before people will be calling for a wow classic server?

Wait, you think THIS expansion is when they are selling out?

/hah

Oh and btw, there is a lot of those 'classic' servers you talk about, if you know what the internet is.

• RevenusRevenus Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by nethrill

I'm quite sure that will be the end of my subscription, and i've had one since just about day one. Though the expansion might appeal to some, as far as i'm concerned they're selling out and adding a huge layer of cheezwiz on top of what was once a very cool game. How long before people will be calling for a wow classic server?

Blood elves:  Forums filled with forum posters swearing up and down they would not play with a fruity pretty elf race representing their horde.

Space goats:  Forums filled with forum posters swearing up and down that the alliance needed an ugly race and these draenei were not nearly ugly enough.  These guys were far too pretty to be the broken.  Never mind the bitching about spaceships, crystals and new age totems that was soaking up the boards.

Worgen:  OMG TWILIGHT?!  I QUIT!

Goblins:  Cool, I guess blizzard did something right.

Panda:  OMG KUNG FU PANDA?! I QUIT!

The truth is quite a few of the people crapping the bed over races either quit a long time ago or were not players to begin with.  Pandas and worgen have been around since WC3, well before twilight or KFP 1 & 2.  Blizzard is shrewd and has made their money enough for 10  corporate lifetimes.  Play, don't play, quit, buy a donkey, go play SWTOR or GW2, it really will not change anything.  

Between Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft, Blizzard Activision is not too worried, they will squeeze some more cash out of you in the future, one way or another.

"There is a certain undeniable power in the void; within lies an unspoken promise of greatness, the shadowy truth that man is ruled by fear not of what is seen, but of what he perceives is seen beyond."

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by bartoni33

I have absolutely no horse (or panda) in this race but let me tell you why SOME people are pissed.

It all started as an April Fools Joke. It's as simple as that. It was a joke race. Not to be taken seriously. At all. Like ALL AFJ are. You were meant to be pissed at this.

BUT the W3 kiddies (read: children and immature adults) took it serious. Then Blizz took it serious. Now we have this. I work with about 10 people that play WoW. The ones wanting the pandas and the ones not wanting them can be guessed just by 1: their age and 2: maturity level. I'll just say that the pro-pandas also like My Little Pony and play Pokemon games on their DS during lunch.

THAT is the issue. The more mature players do not want WoW to become even more childish. Kung-fu pandas ARE childish, sorry but it's true.

I play WoW, I don't mind the Pandas. I am 34, I don't play Pokemon or watch My Little Pony. I don't find Pandas to be any more or less childish than pretty much anything else in the game. Teala's posted picture says it all. Any one of those other "childish" races should have created an outrage. Although, the Draenei have often been jokingly called Protoss, but they are still tolerated.

It was an April Fool's joke, but Blizzard ran with it. If you have been paying attention over the past 7 years, a large number of people have asked for Pandaren to be added to the game, either as horde or alliance, and in each of those threads there was an equal amount of folks who didn't care or didn't want them.

My take is that Pandaren were added because they have been a somewhat polarizing subject in previous discussions. People seemingly either love or hate them, at least those who are vocal. What better marketing tool than one that generates extremely strong emotions, either positive or negative? A strong emotional reaction still shows attachment, and creates discussion, which is just free word of mouth advertising.

People will deal with Pandaren, the same way they've dealt with Death Knights and "Huntards".

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by Kaneth

Originally posted by bartoni33

I play WoW, I don't mind the Pandas. I am 34, I don't play Pokemon or watch My Little Pony. I don't find Pandas to be any more or less childish than pretty much anything else in the game. Teala's posted picture says it all. Any one of those other "childish" races should have created an outrage. Although, the Draenei have often been jokingly called Protoss, but they are still tolerated.

But have the other races had major motion pictures aimed at children come out in the last few years? Again I don't care but my friends that do not like this are telling me that this makes a game that is seen as "childish" even more so now.

It was an April Fool's joke, but Blizzard ran with it. If you have been paying attention over the past 7 years, a large number of people have asked for Pandaren to be added to the game, either as horde or alliance, and in each of those threads there was an equal amount of folks who didn't care or didn't want them.

I agree. Blizz would be silly not to listen to it's fanbase. But they will piss off some of them too.

My take is that Pandaren were added because they have been a somewhat polarizing subject in previous discussions. People seemingly either love or hate them, at least those who are vocal. What better marketing tool than one that generates extremely strong emotions, either positive or negative? A strong emotional reaction still shows attachment, and creates discussion, which is just free word of mouth advertising.

Again I agree but don't be suprised or shocked when people don't want this. Tealas pic was funny and all but their is a legit reason for people not to want this.

People will deal with Pandaren, the same way they've dealt with Death Knights and "Huntards".

Yep some will bitch, others will leave.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

And some will come. 

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by FTrunks21

Pandarens and the monk lifestyle have been a part of warcraft and in the lore since warcraft  or wc2 I believe.

no.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I'll only come back to play if the Pandas are voiced by Jack Black.

http://pandarens.com/2011/10/more-from-blizzard/

Panda lore back in 2003 table top role playing game.

Originally posted by Ausare

And some will come. 

Damn furries...

• GahnzoGahnzo Member UncommonPosts: 74

Originally posted by DJJazzy

I'll only come back to play if the Pandas are voiced by Jack Black.

You know I have a feeling that Blizzard would do the same thing with Jack Black as they did with Mr. T. With the Night Elf Mohawk outside of every starting area.

• Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170

that's kinda sorta a stupid argument. if you are looking at this from an outside looking in perspective then i can TOTALLY understand your confusion and query. however, if you were a follower of warcraft from WAY back in 1994 to today then some of these races fit into the lore well and have done so since the beginning.

Try to imagine this from the perspective of an everquest or forgotten realms fan. say you've been playing everquest for decades and it's got the elves and the humans and froglocks and shit. then, out of nowhere news they are like "due to popular demand that we made up and the success of the movie franchise Alvin and the chipmunks we are creating a new patch that takes place in southern california and a new race, the chipmunk, and a new class "cover band member". you'd rage.

if that makes no sense to you then i'll try applying it to dungeons and dragons: originating from the table top pen and paper imagination powered game from 1974,  you got your humans and drow and half-orcs (not really any anthropomorphic animals) and all of a sudden, coming 2012 a brand new expansion that you've been waiting for! introducing the brand new race "Aristocats", wise crackin, jive talkin, music singing felines! you'd ask yourself "what is going on here? who asked for this?"

so warcraft has had the orcs and humans from the start. the orcs came to azeroth via a portal that some old guy opened with demonic guidance and some serious shit went down and then a sequel game was made and you became more familiar with goblins and trolls and elves and ogres and dwarves and the like. then a third game was made that was still well written (a little hammy and campy but it kept you entertained and developed the following to rival star craft) and with it came undeads and night elves with satyres and dryads and such.

so you can imagine when wow was realized the game was jawesome, you went from a bird's eye view of the game world to mouse wheeling all the way into a third person perspective over the shoulder of a dude from your favorite, lore established race doing class jobs vaguely familiar to the RTS. all was good in the world.

Then came the expansions.... suddenly blood elves, the most popular race EVAR. but what could alliance get to maintain the balance?! MOAR humans? boring. half-elves? what is this, D&D? how about space alien goat monsters with top heavy males and well endowed anorexic females that make sex jokes in beta that are removed at launch? BINGO!!!! they lored these holy space demons into the game in a very flemsy way, claiming them to be evolved forms of dudes back on the orc world of drano. whatever.... no one plays alliance anyways so it's all cools.

then came the next expansion.... no new races, best zones in the game, serious shit going down. good expansion (i thought).

then came the NEXT expansion.... all vanilla content is removed and replaced, so leveling up an alt is actually kinda fun again and faster than EVER. but while we are at it lets make those werewolves that lore wise existed since vanilla playable for alliance and goblins (the most requested race) playable for horde (in alpha they were considered to be playable on alliance but changed to gnomes. THE MOAR YOU KNOW ~~~~* ) new talents, new stuff, things were ok cause some people were raging bout the werewolves and the talent/skill changes but people got over it and realized it was better than before. also people raged bout the goats but got over it again cause no one plays alliance and the rest of the xpac made up for stuff.

NOW comes hong kong fooey number one super guy kong fu panda 2: electric boogaloo. it'll be pandamonium they say. they'll be monks they say. they say it is in no way PANDAring to the asian markets. now true they've had panda easter eggs in wc3 and a neutral hero later added and junk. but many found them to more or less be retarded. now, fresh out of ideas, they get their own focused expansion that is the largest stretch of lore since the space goats: coast to coast. tis a sad state of affairs.

lastly it should be noted that in your picture only 3 are actually playable races and the 4rth coming with the expansion. TBH i PERSONALLY would have preffered had they made the Naga playable. or introduced a third neutral faction consisting of naga and ogres and murlocks and wolvarin and gnolls and other lesser races or something.

so don't try to simplify and invalidate other's arguments and reasonings for not liking something that is universally accepted as stupid.

Universally accepted as stupid....guess your universe is smaller than other peoples.  Panda Lore is there...already proven...been around since before World of Warcraft.  But nice post...it was long and stuff.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

What is kind of dumb, is that WOW would ignore, what has turned into the majority of their player base. You know, Asia.

To the rest, like the people who live and breathe lore, sorry, but you are not even a blip on the map of the total subs.

Lore is what Blizz writes it as and says it is:) And apparently it is Mists of Pandaria.

Only problem i will have with Pandarens, is that i prefer smaller character models. Hopefully we can make a smaller one as well.

Lore has always taken a back seat in games to the fun factor, and the money returns. Can not see where that is any different this time.