Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Open Beta In the Planning Stage

13»

Comments

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by MrBoots

I'm losing interest in this one fast. I remember when they promised minimal instancing and awesome pvp. Now all I hear about is instanced pvp and once a week faction wars.

"once a week faction wars"

whatya on about, bro?

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

WvWvW or "faction wars" (they are really "server" wars) will occur every two weeks. 

PvP is, however, instanced. It's difficult to have a DE system with open, world PvP.  Maybe the next iteration by Arenanet (or some other game) can figure out the intricacies of having both systems in an open world.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

NOT EVERY 2 weeks. They will LAST 2 weeks and then start new round.

"Every two weeks, three worlds are matched together for a battle.[2] The match-up favors matching worlds of similar strength or ranking. A world's rank increases as it wins more often.[3] During combat there is no direct way for these worlds to communicate with each other.[4]"

Source: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Resources

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

"Every two weeks, three worlds are matched together for a battle.[2] The match-up favors matching worlds of similar strength or ranking. A world's rank increases as it wins more often.[3] During combat there is no direct way for these worlds to communicate with each other.[4]"

Then that article needs clarification to prevent such misconceptions. The battles last 2 weeks and then the servers are rematched. They are not short battles. The WvWvW is essentially open world PvP with it's own dynamic events ect. and will be available at ALL times for all players (once they reach Lion's arch, which can be straight after the tutorial).

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

NOT EVERY 2 weeks. They will LAST 2 weeks and then start new round.

This.

Kakkzooka, you can rest in peace. GW2 will have awesome PvP action both instanced and non-instanced.

The difference to your run-of-the-mill "PvP" MMO is that you will be facing normalized enemies, whose gear and level are equal to your own. No ganking lowbies. Only your skills as a player and your team's ability to play together as a team will determine the winner.

• rdashrdash Member Posts: 121

"At the end of the two weeks, the match concludes, the rank of the world is updated, and a new match begins."

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Originally posted by MrBoots

I'm losing interest in this one fast. I remember when they promised minimal instancing and awesome pvp. Now all I hear about is instanced pvp and once a week faction wars.

Sorry to hear your version of 'awesome pvp' is stabbing some guys in the back while they try and play the game. It must be if your complaint is that PvP is 'limited' to WvWvW (NOT once a week, the servers are rematched fortnightly, they're permenantly ongoing) and competetive PvP for heavily team based action.

I won't miss anyone who thinks ganking PvE'rs to exercise some superiority complex (as it is always picking on weaker players) if 'awesome' :p

Note to everyone: If you're losing interest in the game, it's likely due to 2 reasons:

a) you've misunderstood something, like this guy.

b) you're overhyping the game so much you're getting burned out. Go play ToR or something and come back for open beta.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

[mod edit - please do not quote scammer links!]

Mea Culpa. That sounds much more intense.

• DragviperDragviper Member UncommonPosts: 100

16/50 Here, my goal was the awesoness of  Orrian Baby. I don't play much GW don't even have friends to play GW to join me, I did all my stuff by my own but now, I think I will keep playing and keep forward for the other rewards like the aquatic pet or the white raven!  This at least, will keep me busy until GW2 open beta!!!

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Mea Culpa. That sounds much more intense.

Also, there *will* be dynamic events in the area where you fight WvWvW. Also, it is not instanced in the normal sense of the word. I think anyone who enjoys pvp will like it.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Charrrrrrrge! Come on ArenaNet don't milk it just fix it and release it! Getting close :)

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I just hope this game wont suffer from lack of content like most mmos suffer from. And unfinished content like AoC. But GW1 had a lot of content so I would assume GW2 would be no different.

• sdsbatessdsbates Member UncommonPosts: 17

Ruddy marvelous news if you ask me! :)

• El_LionEl_Lion Member UncommonPosts: 154

There will not be an 'open beta' as you suggest

This was taken from the GW2 facebook group:

Guild Wars 2 Hi, everyone. I want to clarify a few points that have been mentioned by commenters here. :-)

We purposely didn’t use the term “Open Beta”, we mentioned Beta Events. To some people Open Beta means unlimited access to the game and everybody on the interwebs can play it. This is not what we will do.

We will do Beta Weekend Events. Those of you who played Guild Wars might already be familiar with the concept. It means that many of you (like the blog post says) will get a chance to participate in specific Events, but access won’t be unlimited – there will be some kind of selection criteria and the beta period will usually start on a Friday and end on the following Sunday.

Hope that helps. :-) ~RB

15 hours ago ·

Eaglix