Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 5 Forum Archetypes

Comments

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by Konfess

The Librarian.  Keeper of all knowledge and facts.  Often mistaken for the Grammar Police.  See “Actually...”

Librarian tend to prefer the color BLUE which embodies Truth and Correctness.

The Valid Hunchback.  Identified by valid and true statements, that are ignored or repudiated by Fanbois, Yes Men, and Corporate Shills.  Their hideousness leads them to end up on ignore lists. You see that iceberg, we are gonna hit it and sink.  Your just a Hatter, you have no confidence in the White Star Line, give them time, they’ll fix it just you wait and see.  You don’t know what you are talking about.

Valid Hunchback tend to prefer the color PURPLE which embodies RED & BLUE colors.  But given time will evolve to BLACK which embodies all that is detested.

So I fall into the MAD Librarian category? I fight for truth and correctness sure but dont care much for spelling and grammar.

All this time I thought I was a defender of true journalism, fighting those that spun falsism and opinion into what they call facts. Integrity of the writen word, real facts - less manipulative spin.

I dont recommend this Archtyoe to those feignt of heart though. Those in this category are usually hated by everyone at one time or another, even by the mods on occasion. It is a duty though, someone has to protect the truth, even when the turth isn't the popular standing.

Not to mention you will be called the bad names from every category on here at least once too, depending on which side of the argument the truth lies. If the truth supports the game your called a fanboy, if it doesn't then your a hater or a troll. 

Every post is believed to be 'personal' even if you post a disclaimer stating otherwise. Questioning ones integrity of facts hardly ever gets another gold star under your name. It's a thankless job, but important to have at least a couple on every forum less it become a cestpool of farout exaggerations and wild tales. 

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by 77lolmac77
    and who can overlook the "English isn't my primary language" guy
    always fun deciphering those posts

Meme...ME!
  • JoonasJoonas Member Posts: 21

What % of the forum users are regarded as peacemakers?

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

I enjoyed reading this good post op.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Originally posted by precious328

Overly Smiley or Mangirl:

This user is either too happy or too afraid that he might be read wrong. :) Everything sentence has a smile on the end of it :) :D

I have a good friend who is like this, and it has rubbed off on me O:-)  So I found this offensive :(

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Meltdown

Originally posted by Tardcore

So who did we miss? Which archetype do you identify with most? C’mon now.  Be honest! Let us know in the comments.

The Thread Derailer. He's passionate, he's got an axe to grind, he can sometimes be quite erudite and lucid, just not on the actual subject at hand.

"Wait, you are actually profiling and sticking blanket labels on posters? You know there was another group of people that liked to hang labels on people, the NAZIS!

Ah yes... that sounds like someone I know quite well... Would this "derailer" also tend to explain things via analogies that would also tend to derail discussions?

Indeed. Why it quite reminds me of the type of poster who when discussing a Star Wars MMO would make a comparrison to the controversy when Lucas changed that Han Solo shot first. Which I felt quite destroyed his film legacy.

Discuss.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

edit: oops Loktofeit beat me to it, nevermind..

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/ image

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I am Bottle Collector type

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Originally posted by precious328

The Forum Dropout

• User name generally has X's around it, e.g., XxNAMExX.

Or numbers. Oh wait...

• AsterivethAsteriveth Member UncommonPosts: 109

Couldn't resist, they are so cute!!!!

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Funny article, it is good to change ideas from time to time :P

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • Ludichris1Ludichris1 Member Posts: 41

Two other forum people would be the Meme Person, the Asterisker, and the Brony.

Personally, I'm a Lurker. I read posts and rarely post to them.

Oh wait, ... I've been found out! NoooOOOO---

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185

where'd they get the idea that lurkers like the color white?

Originally posted by yutty

where'd they get the idea that lurkers like the color white?

Sometimes people just feel the need to assign colors to groups... lol

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

The Kardashian

Desperately seeking attention, but doesn't have anything constructive to say. The Kardashian will often post useless drivel and fluff text  in threads linked to competitions, news posts or started by MMORPG forum moderators, in a desperate attempt to have their post seen and responded to by others.

The Kardashian is often attracted to the colour pink, bright yellow and flashy ASCII art.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Trolls come in so many shapes and forms its tough to group them under one category.

There is the hater troll, thats mostly described here.

Then there is the

ALL CAPS TROLL LOLz.  THEY DONT EVEN DISGUYZ THEY ARE TROLOLOLING YET PEOPLE FEED THEM JUST THE SAME!!!!!!111!!!!!1!1!!1!

And of course the hot topic troll.  This person brings up a topic that he knows will get a rise.  For example: Hell go into a suggestion thread and post things that are in WoW because he knows that will set people off.  'This game needs flying mounts and rated bgs!'

Actually Torvaldr....  Those guys are very helpful to the site because they are bringing quality topics of discussion from reputable blogs and usually sparking interesting debates that are difficult to derail.  It is refreshing compared to the typical my game vs your game threads you see a lot of.

:D

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by 77lolmac77
    "Oh youve been playing MMOs since EQ? Yeah I played Meridian 59"

Ah yes the M59'ers. So many people on these forums tout that game as their first MMO. Pretty sure most of them just looked up the oldest MMO on this site's game list to beef up their credentials.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• CripnoahCripnoah Member Posts: 128

Lurker reporting in; usually feels like I can barley be bothered to post nowadays. I just usually post if the thread of posts in a certain thread are enough to infuriate me that I have to say something.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

I always thought this was an interesting topic! Well done!

I started a thread last week to ask how we could define hater/fanboy, but it was closed because we are "supposed to talk about games, not forum behavior."

I'm glad to see we can, in fact, discuss forum behavior.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Nothing to see here, just another thread propagating perspective based generalizations upon a forum of over one million users.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• adiktusadiktus Member Posts: 128

I fit in two of those categories. Sometimes I'm a peacemaker, sometimes I'm a lurker.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by DarkPony

"So who did we miss?"

THE FORUM PONY

The forum pony successfully embodies all described categories and assumes the role that seems the most appropriate to him on each individual occasion. Always with remarkable wit and style, occasionaly with blazing sarcasm or stone-cold factual information, grasping the essence of a subject in just a few sentences and often leaving his fellow forum posters breathless in his wake.

lolz .....got to love the pony....hehe

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

The Burnout

Grown tired of trolls, fanboys, and forum-gods.  Posts occasional insignificant items, but really doesn't give a ...

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

I suppose I qualify as a Lurker..

Never really used them much in Starcraft aside from tower defense maps.

..whaaat?