Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many of you actually play?

DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Just a fun little poll here. 

Now in the questionare.. exlude games that you just "tried out"

for instance, I recently tried Perpetuum, but I only played a few hours and "tried it out" so I wouldn't consider it "played in the last week"

Hopefully thats easy for ya'll to understand.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

Comments

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I had all my eggs in the SWTOR basket and I just can't get into it at all, I think I am completely burnt out on MMO's. I have tried almost everything and I get excited by the new game hype but in reality I haven't lasted past the first month in any game released in the last 5 years.

I think it's time for me to move on, accept I have had my fun with the genre and start reading books, I hear there are a lot of them.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

League of Legends is on this site, does that count as MMO?  That is the only game I currently put in any time.

I have LOTRO installed but it isn't fun ever.  I have AoC installed and I can't kill more than 1-2 things before I log off.  SWTOR is installed and I quit that after max level + hard mode farming and realized it was over and done.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Originally posted by SlickShoes

I had all my eggs in the SWTOR basket and I just can't get into it at all, I think I am completely burnt out on MMO's. I have tried almost everything and I get excited by the new game hype but in reality I haven't lasted past the first month in any game released in the last 5 years.

I think it's time for me to move on, accept I have had my fun with the genre and start reading books, I hear there are a lot of them.

a good chunk of the community feel's the same way man.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• NargisNargis Member UncommonPosts: 8

I always played MMOPRGs in the last 12+ years, but after UO, DAOC and SWG i didn't stick with any of those i played for more than a few months (AoC, WoW ...). Always returning to these three every now and then.

After a month of SWTOR i had a few nice days reading books, now i am back to Vanguard.

Playing: VGSoH
    Played: UO, DAoC, SWG, SWTOR, WoW, AoC, EQ2, Eve

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

This realization makes you smarter than the majority of the whiners on these forums. Self accountability/realization is a rare commodity. People have a tendency of blaming external things for their "misery" because it's easier than looking at yourself as the cause of the problem.

I tip my hat to you sir

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If you haven't read the Dresden series of novels by Jim Butcher, I'd recommend them without reservation.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Haven't been playing since Skyrim, prior to that I was subbed to CoH and played L2 occasionally.

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

i  spend more time playing castleville now than i do mmos  i must  be growing up

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I chose other since the new GEN MMOs are all trail. Play to max in two weeks and find out all the stuff that was suppose to be in the game isn't, doesn't work, or got completely changed from what they stated would be available. So since WOW would be the last game I played as a MMO and that was until BGS killed Open World and before that DAoC for years. Haven't played anything for Years since DAoC but played most everything up to DAoC for years: EQ, AC, EQII...Modern MMOs are just all epic fails.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Currently playing 8+ a week, mostly on the weekend, with a little during the week...But it is getting less and less...I am playing SWTOR and it's just not doing it....But I am waiting on GW2, and maybe TSW.  I just havent been into anything in the past 5 years or so....Vanguard was the last MMO that me and the wife really liked.  I bought Rift and paid for 6 months before SWTOR, and I lasted about 3-4...I had never played less than a year on a mmo I bought, so figured I was safe and they gave a nice discount, still came out close to the same if I paid monthly...MMOs just don't have much depth anymore it seems...Its all rails/quest hubs and gear grinds for stuff that doesn't really matter due to the game not having stuff I really want to do anyway...  People say its burnout all the time, I don't think so....Just poor games, BW tried to mesh mmo and single player story and I think it diluted both and didn't work good.  I got my money worth imo, but I don't see me playing it past this month, unless something changes.

My top 5:

1. UO (went back recently, but I don't dig the new skill system mechanics, do prefer 2d client though over 3d) - Played 5 - 6 years total

2. EQ (great game, and I could argue it above UO, but LDoN+ started to wear on me, not a fan of instances, and they did take off) - Played 6 - 7 years total

3. DAoC (loved the RvR, disliked the huge nerfs, even after being out for a year, they didn't seem to know what they wanted to do, but the innovation and fun of the early game makes it #3) - Only played for like 1.5 - 2 years, then went back to EQ

4 Vanguard (loved the crafting/harvesting/classes/pve/huge world/pvp, had brand new computer so I didn't get hit by problems at launch much, like a lot did.) - Played till shortly after announcing they would not support PvP anymore and the PvP died and people left to AoC I think....I took a long mmo break at this point....Didn't buy again till Rift.

5. pre NGE- SWG (lottta things needed some fixing, but didn't  need the NGE) - Didn't play a long time, someone I worked with got me into it, and it was made mostly by ex-UO people, so I loved the design.  Buffs needed toned down, some balance needed to happen, and more original SWG style content...They could of even added some scenarios or something, like a hoth battle or whatever, but I hated the NGE, and I worked my butt off harvesting mats for my crafters, to have all my mats change with the CU/NGE...Medic changes pissed the wife off....Everyone in guild was quiting for the most part...So we left....never looked back on it...

I am excited about GW2's WvWvW...If they do it right, I am going to love it...I prefer open world stuff, to scenarios and I dislike arena stuff, I feel go play a FPS if you want e-sport imo...TSW looks like it may be interesting, I will have to wait till its closer to launch and decide, but I know a few people that are also interested, so I probably will try it.

Hoping EQ Next is truely a throw back, like they say, ArcheAge looks interesting (pve/pvp/questing, need to see more, love the crafting stuff).  Copernicus, maybe, don't know enough....WoD...not sure I am digging the vampires only and it seems delayed...Pathfinder could be interesting, and I love Forgotten Realms stuff, so I will pay attention to that, but the track record doesn't seem to bode well for it.

I just hope we get away from strict themepark play and get into the hybrid zone, and closer to sandbox, with what is good in a themepark sprinkled in....

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452

I only play Battlefield 3 multiplayer though I don't think of it as being a real MMO.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

Me too. I cancelled my SWTOR account a week after release and have given up on MMOs. I've wasted so much money on MMOs the last several years. I doubt I'll buy another one.

Now I just play Skyrim a few hours a week.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

I was playing SWTOR... but I find myself enjoying monster/player grinding to quest grinding... So I'm back on AION.

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Still doing 8+ in ToR.  Not super happy about the lack of mob variety (in gameplay terms) and really hate how inconvenient it is to group, but apart from that it's pretty solid.  Time will tell if I bounce back to RIFT (now that I have a computer able to better handle it.) 

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375

I play EVE 8+ hours a week. Yes, play. Not just spin my ship.

Then again, I havn't played any other MMO since basically forever (minus a two-week side step into LotrO while it was still pay to play).

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Have not played in last 6 months.   (NOT counting few days in TOR's beta and a total of few days in trying some mmorpg's I have not tried before - but since all of them offer very similar design I never got attached).

Got tired of same design copy & pasted all over modern mmorpg's.  Really : mmorpg that is about levellig to max and then practically only about running instances (+ tools that disconnect server community by connecting totally random people from all servers cause that allow making random instances runs more automated and "easier" - cross server LFG tools, etc).

This kind of mmropg does not fill my tastes anymore.

Sadly alternatives either are not in my taste either (EvE) or are bad , feature-less or / and bugged or / and old games.

So taking a break in mmorpg's. 

Looking for some short / incidental fun with GW2 and looking forward to ArcheAge as my main / long-term mmorpg.(only if it will be p2p).

So I am still facing long-months of no mmorpg for me.   Not happy with that ,but  I kinda accepted it. Playing mmorpg and not being satusfied is not an option ,prefer to not play at all.

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243

I jumped on EVE too late

I didn't like the way you leveled up your skills. I didn't like how it leveled up over real time.  I found myself, before they changed it, setting my alarm in the morning to wake up and start my next skill. That wasn't too appealing to me

I think the longest time I stuck with a game was that I have been playing Runes of Magic ever since it started.  The game has really been fun for me. I refused to jump on the WoW bandwagon and pay monthly, so instead I really got into RoM.  The game did crash every now and then, the PvP battles did tick a lot of people off, but what else do you expect from a F2P game?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Still playing TOR every few days with a friend til the sub runs its course, and trying out Rift again.  Definitely in the 8+ hours range.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

I'm always playing something.

In the last week, for instance, I was playing Uncharted Waters Online pretty heavily until the weekend; at which point I took advantage of Rift having a free weekend going, and played that on the weekend.

In the last month or two, it has been Uncharted Waters Online, LOTRO (always a go-to game to play periodically since it went F2P), EverQuest 2 (gave it another chance for a couple of weeks, still can't get past the boring combat to enjoy it), and a few that I tried out but didn't spend masses of time on (SW:TOR - played the beta, wasn't good enough to consider buying; Rusty Hearts - got a few days of fun out of that one; Spiral Knights - didn't really do it for me).

In the non-MMO front, I also spent time in the Diablo III and Path of Exile betas, as well as playing a few solid days of Diablo II to compare and contrast.

But yeah, generally dissatisfied with the state of the MMO genre? Sure. But there's always something to play, even if I haven't been hardcore locked into one game for months on end for nearly a year.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Wow, I'm actually supprised at how many people are playing MMO's on this forum. I figured that most would be like me (I dabble in a beta here and there, try something new out for a couple of days) But I havn't played a real MMO for any real period of time since 2010, and that was WoW (sad I know)

So now I fill my long days with Minecraft, and Skyrim. 

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• dylangdylang Member Posts: 12

I agree with this, although I don't want to move on and accept it :/

or read books

I played FFXI religiously since ps2 release, left it for too long and couldnt get back in.

nothing has filled the void aside from lotro for about 1/2 a year..

I tried AoC, EVE, WoW, Aion, FFXIV, Rift, SWTOR, WAR.. probably a few more, nothing holds me like ffxi.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Originally posted by lizardbones

If you haven't read the Dresden series of novels by Jim Butcher, I'd recommend them without reservation.

I'd also recommend the Redwall series by Brian Jaques. Your villians and heroes are in form of animals and not your typical orc / elf / human characters.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I play Pirates of the Burning Sea for several hours every night to just kick back and relax. 

Its the first game in a long while I actually see myself staying with off and on.  Good fun. 

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

The last MMO I played was ATITD and I was dropping 8 hour days. I did play a bit of Warring Factions but I didn't like the way the current round shaped up. I did drop 12 hours first day probe spamming.

I am currently prototyping my own MMO as a web game. It will never be published have pretty graphics or a big player base but I enjoy writing it and I enjoy testing it and I set it up so I can play by myself and add a sort of allied npc to compensate for minimal players. Not as efficient as players because npcs have limited capabilities.

I am planning on playing The Repopulation in the future and maybe some AA or GW2. I do occassionally boot up GW from time to time and I bought merc hero slots to let me solo content since I don't have time to make friends to play with.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

I feel like Im unable to actually play MMORPGs right now more than maybe a few hours here and there and then not enjoying it, awaiting the releases of 2012/2013, mainly archeage otherwise I dont know what to do really...