Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

War of the Immortals: Learning More About WoI

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

War of the Immortals is Perfect World Entertainment's sequel to Battle of Immortals. We had the chance to sit down with WoI's Product Manager Thang Phan to talk about the game and what makes it tons of fun for players. Read on!

MMORPG: In War of the Immortals can you tell us about the world of Motenia? How do players interact with the world itself?

Thang Phan: Motenia is the main planet in War of the Immortals filled with vast landscapes and diverse environments. Players will traverse through each world by overcoming challenging obstacles such as world PvP. In search for honor and glory, they will also encounter fierce monsters, as well as the evil forces of Loki, who are waging a war to take over Motenia.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's War of the Immortals: Learning More About WoI.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188

I have been playing this game since about the 2nd week of open beta. It is fun at first, but then you hit the brick wall in leveling at about lvl 80.

The way the game is designed, grinding mobs is completely ineffective for gaining levels/coins/gear/anything. You are basically reduced to logging on, doing your "daily quests" and then either boss hunting for a chance at some soul gear/pets or trying to find some PvP action. The thing about pvp though is that the person with the most money wins. Your credit card limit > actual skill. It is quite possibly the worst pay to win game I have encountered, and I have played A LOT of f2p games. 

I will try to give a little bit of an explanation of just how pay to win the game is. Now this game has your basic f2p "fortify system" where you can level your gear up from 1-10 (I think lvl 105 gear goes to 15). This will give you a % bonus on the "white" stat of your gear, i.e. dmg on your weapon, evasion on your boots, accuracy on your gloves (you get the point). That system is completely fine imo since it isn't a huge advantage to get every piece of your gear with a high fort (minus getting bonus stats for the average lvl of your gear).

Then there is the Gem system. This is where the problem lies. Gems can be socketed into your gear with a maximum of 3 gems per piece of equipment, 12 pieces of equipment, 36 gems maximum in a full set of gear. You can obtain lvl 1 gems pretty easily in game from bosses, lvl 2 gems are semi-rare (maybe 1 in 10 drop rate on bosses), and lvl 3 gems are exceptionally rare from drops. It takes 5 lvl 1 gems plus a cash shop item to make a lvl 2 gem, 5 lvl 2 gems + CS item to make a lvl 3, etc,etc. The cash shop items for the gem combine ranged from 5 cents for lvl 1 to make lvl 2, up to 5$ for lvl 5 to make a lvl 6 gem. Now, the cash shop sells 2 levels of gems, lvl 2 gems sell at 50 cents, and lvl 4 gems sell at 12.50$ each.  This means that you HAVE to spend money in the cash shop or buy from someone who spends money in the cash shop 

It wouldn't be a big problem if the increase in power the higher you went wasn't so large and the maximum level of gems wasn't so ridiculous (lvl 9). Take for example a lvl 2 gem and a lvl 4 gem of evasion. The lvl 2 gem gives 42 evasion while the lvl 4 gem gives 247 evasion. Now, the leap from lvl 4 to lvl 5 is completely ridiculous going from the 247 to 523. You can start to see where the problem of pay to win comes in.

On the east server right now, there is a person who plays an Enchantress (semi-healer/buffs with pretty good dmg). That person has 26 lvl 5 gems (equates to something like 2500$ ish in gems alone) and can single handedly take down an entire group of average geared people. In my level 90 SG with lvl 2-3 gems I have something like 2.5-3k evasion, the enchanter I am talking abou thas over 11k evasion. Average gear would be lvl 3 gems and something like +7 fort on the gear. One person taking down an entire group in PvP. It has turned the game extremely dull since most of the bosses worth killing are located in PvP instances. That plus the fact that many people multi-client an army of alts for boss farming.

Overall, if you don't feel like sinking a down payment on a house into the game, don't play it. The power difference between a cash shop user and non-cash shop user is insurmountable, even if the number of non-CS users far outweigh the cash shoppers.

edit: Just to add a few more pieces of information for people. This game is basically Battle of Immortals 2.0. They have almost the same classes, skills, towns, zones, mobs, systems, graphics, etc, etc. If you did not like BOI for the core concept of the game, you will not like this game.

As such, BOI and WOI have almost the exact same items in the cash shop. The only difference? WOI's cash shop prices are 2-3x higher than the SAME ITEM in BOI. The exact same winter fashion came out in both BOI and WOI. The BOI price was 3.50$, the WOI price was 10$. Literally the exact same item for almost 3x the cost.

Just wanted to add that while I do harbor a decent portion of hate for a lot of the game systems, mainly the cash shop and price differences in BOI/WOI, I am currently still playing the game. Just trying to play it out in hopes that PWE stops being the greedy fatherless children that they are and adjust the prices to match BOI, and also severely tone down the pay to win. If they fail to do so, I feel the game will come to a screeching halt and lose a majority of the player base it hasn't already lost because of this.

• Cameo3Cameo3 Member Posts: 219

This game is so extremely basic...I mean honestly. There are what like 14 weapons, all of which are single equipped.

EVERY... SINGLE... GAME... all melee types everyone got the same items and upgrades, save the couple like me who got the recommended items.

Member of Talon | www.lakexeno.com
    RIFT: Redcameo, Warrior, Faemist Server
    RIFT: Bluecameo, Mage, Faemist Server

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Just curious, do they use the same 2 1/2 D graphics as in BOI?

Originally posted by Ozmodan

WOI is basically BOI with a new name and a few upgrades to certain systems. I.E. the pet system was changed. It is the exact same graphics, some of the exact same zones, exact same character models, same mobs, etc, etc, etc.

The only different between the 2 is that WOI has had the pets toned down. There aren't Zodiac pets or skills in which means that a pet can't wipe an entire party. I will say they aren't in YET as they are out in the Chinese version of the game. Any talk or questions about the Chinese version of WOI in the forums is promptly met with the thread being closed and a warning being issued for talking about it.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

I wished mmorpg.com will ask the hard question.

What is the major difference between BOI and WOI, and what is the purpose of this release. to achieve what?

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

Originally posted by xKingdomx

I wished mmorpg.com will ask the hard question.

what is the purpose of this release. to achieve what?

More revenue. People were leaving BOI is droves because of how ridiculously OP pets became (the cash shop pets of course). WOI was released to bring some of those players to a "new shiny" so they could sink more money.

From my understanding, this was supposed to be an actual expansion to BOI, but when they smelled the ability to make more money they made it a stand alone game.

• Argentwolf1Argentwolf1 Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by MrTuggles

Originally posted by Ozmodan

WOI is basically BOI with a new name and a few upgrades to certain systems. I.E. the pet system was changed. It is the exact same graphics, some of the exact same zones, exact same character models, same mobs, etc, etc, etc.

The only different between the 2 is that WOI has had the pets toned down. There aren't Zodiac pets or skills in which means that a pet can't wipe an entire party. I will say they aren't in YET as they are out in the Chinese version of the game. Any talk or questions about the Chinese version of WOI in the forums is promptly met with the thread being closed and a warning being issued for talking about it.

Hmm...I wonder why that is. Oh, right....because it's against the forum rules to discuss regional versions of the game. 

Also, all PWE games are independently localized, so what appears in one version may not appear in another. 

Back on topic--I, for one, wouldn't mind that zod pets were left out of the game--they took far too much focus from the skill of the player and were way overpowered.