Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One Feature from a MMO that you liked!

LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

If we all list one aspects of a MMO that we have played and liked , hopefully by adding all these up, we might come up with what might work in a new MMO. Of course what One likes might not be what everyone likes. But I figure it could be a start.

Let me start with  FFXI - Named Mobs

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

Comments

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

A random selection of features will not make a good mmo.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

I liked it when monsters would not reset / lose agro in the old MMOs. Specifically EQ.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

CoH--sidekicking.

I'm limited to just one?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by Cuathon

But it might paint a better picture on what feature sticks with the players as they move from MMO to MMO

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

I really liked the Control Points battles in Tabula Rasa.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Open, non-instanced housing like UO/SWG.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

The Patron / Vassel system in Asheron's Call.. rewarding those who prefer to spend their time helping others.

No other game has done something like this as far as I know and I think it was the main feature that caused the excellent community it had (or has, havn't checked in out in a looong time).

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Sanity888Sanity888 Member UncommonPosts: 185

This won't work, since most of these forumers seem to think that the less features a MMO has, the better. So if I say, "Dungeon Finder" I know I will be flacked for it, although I do like the feature. I understand the point of why people think Dungeon Finder is bad, though, and I would like to add a feature that allows LFG chat and features to be implimented on cross-servers, in order to create an intimacy that is currently lacking there now. Something like a chat feature for pre-grouped parties in dungeon finder.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I will name a smaller feature, that I have not seen used, except in Vanguard, it may be in others, but haven't seen it....Group Harvesting...Its not huge, but it was just one of the many features I thought they did right.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

UMmmmmmmmmmm yeah, it's Dungeon Finder, admittedly.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

If I could not say full systems such as 'crafting' for example I would have to say:

In Xyson you can make your own quests and make the accessible to anyone. Such an easy feature to create with huge impact

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Originally posted by Cuathon

If only someone told Bioware :)

• Fornax123Fornax123 Member UncommonPosts: 36

SWG:  Permadeath

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Open stat / skill point allotting; ala Shadowbane.

A lot of games allowed it, and the trend is to not let players decide for fears of balance / gimping themselves.

But I miss it!

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

RvR

not War's crapshoot wanna be rvr.

DAOC rvr.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Runescape: Wealth of side activities/ mini- games. 

Atlantica online: Strategic combat

DCUO: No need to go back to NPC's to complete quests. 

Wow: Fluidity/ feel of combat was great

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

The only feature that sticks in my head is Multiplayer ships from SWG.  A feature so ahead of its time, and apparently so mysterious, that no gaming devs have been able to reproduce it.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

EVE Online's contract system. I really enjoy playing merchant/trader type characters and thw contract system allows me to customize trades, make specific arrangements with other players and manage the entire transaction relatively securely.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Daoc. Realm Points obtained through RvR ... progression beyond level 50

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Don't remember what game it was, but MOB's level off the death of players.  At least I think that was in an MMO I once played.  AC2 maybe?

• ReborncRebornc Member UncommonPosts: 42

UO: Vendor System

Shadowbane: Character progession and pvp and clancitys

EvE: economy and nullsecwarfare and politics

WoW: the atmosphere of the world in vanilla

DaoC: Grinding in a group, RvR

Dark and Light: Flying (the only thing that worked in that game)

Of all games EvE and Shadowbane had the most features i really loved.

Its a shame shadowbane had so many other bugs and ugly things.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Being able to see on the mob what item it will drop. I remember in EQ you could see on a mob if it dropped a certain weapon.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

UO - being able to put things on the ground

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Economy of Eve

3D aerial PVP of AION

Classes of FFXI

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Teala

Don't remember what game it was, but MOB's level off the death of players.  At least I think that was in an MMO I once played.  AC2 maybe?

Definitely AC, don't know if that was in AC2. UO was another one with mobs levelling off of players.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre