Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Open Beta and Release This Year - Year of the Dragon

Comments

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

Now I need to find all those naysayers who said the game would release in 2017. 

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by Raijukin

SWTOR better start working on their Free2Play model =p

Ya, not even close. SWTOR, after the free month are still at heavy, most servers and some standard. I haven t seen 1 light server, unless it s 1 am. That said, GW2 is going to be amazing, but will effect SWTOR little IMO. Most people I know and have talked to will play both or GW2 and another MMO.

GW2 will be a great game, no doubt, but I still see a million threads in the future of, I m max now what. It s ineviatable with any MMO nowadays.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Haha

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by NBlitz

*passes the Kool-Aid around*

:D

Aye gimmie dat lol

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• RaijukinRaijukin Member Posts: 63

haha it was clearly a joke...might want to relax a bit on the defense mode fan boy =p

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

So now we have to hear about the TOR killer with every release?

Anyway can't wait to take GW2 for a spin, I'll happily play both if I like GW2.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

haha it was clearly a joke...might want to relax a bit on the defense mode fan boy =p

Lol, ok.

• GamayunGamayun Member CommonPosts: 73

Originally posted by Beachcomber

Overhyped by the community.

Threres going to be a lot of dissapointed people soon.

The sooner the better.

Potential players should always check their facts first. 

From what I've seen, GW2 will be a good game with many unusual features and a cohesive idea: how to make a fun game and address some of the current problems with MMORPGs. 

But there will probably always be a group of people who for some silly reason think dynamic events will not involve killing foes, or who come to some similar unfounded conclusion. 

For those, really, the sooner the better.

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

^But ArenaNet is an American company, so wouldn't it be 6/28/12?

• mastaDmastaD Member Posts: 10

Well thats somewhat expected good news. That said...  GW2 seems great, cant wait :)

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Originally posted by Leucent

GW2 will be a great game, no doubt, but I still see a million threads in the future of, I m max now what. It s ineviatable with any MMO nowadays.

You get that problem when u design games with raiding-centered gear-grinding endgame...

you allways need more & new to be able to keep playing with some challenge...

Guild Wars 2 has a diferent design...

Dinamic content and sidekick system will keep ALL zones always challeging no matter what level are you.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Nice to hear, game is progressing nicely :-)

Some caution or realism for those who eagerly think that this means GW2 will release before Summer: when GW had its first open beta weekends (Fall 2004), it wasn't until 8 months later that the game released. I don't expect that the time between first open beta and release to be that long for GW2. However, the announced mass scale beta for March and April is still not the open beta as we have seen them the past years for MMO's.

Considering that after April, based on their findings the real open beta tests will be held some time afterwards, and that due to various reasons usually there's a 2 month at least between open beta of an MMO and release, any release before July seems very unlikely and unrealistic, especially seeing how ANet has taken their time to do things right and not rush stuff.

No AAA MMO has released in July-Aug, so September seems the likeliest release date for GW2.

I expect TSW and TERA to be released first, namely in April/May.

Originally posted by Zzad

You get that problem when u design games with raiding-centered gear-grinding endgame...

you allways need more & new to be able to keep playing with some challenge...

Guild Wars 2 has a diferent design...

Dinamic content and sidekick system will keep ALL zones always challeging no matter what level are you.

I think this has less to do with design and more to do with that (a lot of) people will get bored regardless in the end, when they've in their eyes consumed most content for their character.
  • rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Lol not even close  totally diff customer base both are after for one most ppl who even liked the first guild wars are the cheapers who didn't wanna pay a monthly fee I doubt many of those are playing swtor atm as it does cost a monthly fee not to mention swtor is sci-fi.Maybe GW2 will finally innovate actually being able to jump in there game.Cannot wait for it to hit beta and launch and listen to half you guys rage over how it sucks same as you do any game that comes out.Gw2 is not gonna innovate anything nor will they even be close to being a SWTOR killer.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Beachcomber

Overhyped by the community.

Threres going to be a lot of dissapointed people soon.

They won`t be disappointed...well...not soon anyways - well - they MAY be disappointed that the launch isn`t going to be soon :D

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Zzad

Though something we won't hear, are the thousands that usually threathen the devs saying; "If this hasn't been done by the 1st month then I'm unsubbing."

The Buy 2 Play model, how I love it. XD

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Large amount of excitment from the folks around here for a beta...lol. The problem with all the hype, is that a game can never live up to it. There are a lot of people around here that acting like this game will save them from the horribleness the genre has become. Funny thing is... when I was playing Shadowbane years ago, the EXACT same thing happened with GW1 came out...lol. The game was popular no doubt, however, not the savior that everyone from Shadowbane was hoping for. I wish GW2 success, although, it's not sounding like my cup of tea. 

Still no release date announced but it sounds like everyone is thinking August. That gives TOR a lot of time to fix some stuff and it gives time for MoP and FFXIV version 2.0 to hit. Should be a pretty good second half of the year!

Originally posted by smh_alot

[...] No AAA MMO has released in July-Aug, so September seems the likeliest release date for GW2.

Well ArenaNet have been all about defying existing conventions, so a May/June release is actually possible. Especially if the Open Beta takes place around April.

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

Originally posted by nomss

We already knew it was going to be 2012.........................................................................................

everyone said that about 2011 lol

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

So we talk about an august release date or later.Thats a lot time to wait but nevermind lets hope the game will really deserves it because i want a company to show all these retarted developers how to create games.It may end like another crap but lets hope for the best.

Originally posted by Praetalus

Large amount of excitment from the folks around here for a beta...lol. The problem with all the hype, is that a game can never live up to it. There are a lot of people around here that acting like this game will save them from the horribleness the genre has become. Funny thing is... when I was playing Shadowbane years ago, the EXACT same thing happened with GW1 came out...lol. The game was popular no doubt, however, not the savior that everyone from Shadowbane was hoping for. I wish GW2 success, although, it's not sounding like my cup of tea...

Funny thing is that only the naysayers like yourself aproclaim that GW2 will be the Messiah of the MMORPG genre. Whereas people on the various Guild Wars 2 forums, who are hyped about the game, are pretty level-headed. We follow the game closely, so we know what to expect, because the devs tells are everything. Only those that have loafty expectations are the ones that won't have their expectations met. But the vast majority of GW2 fans following the game won't be.

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

Ya, not even close. SWTOR, after the free month are still at heavy, most servers and some standard. I haven t seen 1 light server, unless it s 1 am. That said, GW2 is going to be amazing, but will effect SWTOR little IMO. Most people I know and have talked to will play both or GW2 and another MMO.

Well server statuses don't really show the actual population just what SWTOR decided was the server limit.  The question is, how much interaction do you see while you're playing on the servers, how many times do you play non-huttball games, and how long is the wait to get into 4-man heroics.

Isn't that what SWTOR has now for their endgame.  It's hard to say what will happen with GW2, there's still a lot of info that hasn't been released.

But we shall see at release I guess.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Refraining from excitement until I see Open Beta Stress Test - I believe that was the final stage last time. Game released about a week after that. XD *excitment oozing out*

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

Originally posted by Master10K

Originally posted by smh_alot

[...] No AAA MMO has released in July-Aug, so September seems the likeliest release date for GW2.

Well ArenaNet have been all about defying existing conventions, so a May/June release is actually possible. Especially if the Open Beta takes place around April.

Yes defying everything but time.  They said closed betas for 2011 and started them in December.  I don't really see them releasing the game within a month or two of large open beta testing (we assume large, we don't really know how big or at what level they will increase over time). I say not even September, these guys are going to try and get this game as "polished" as Rift *he said choking on his words*.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Where do you read open beta?

An open beta is availeble to ANYONE.