Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eligium: Closed Beta Preview

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

We've spent some time with Frogster's Eligium: The Chosen One in its closed beta phase.  Does this Action-MMO import have what it takes to capture your attention? Read on to find out.

I try not to judge games in their Closed Beta phase too harshly, I really do.  But Eligium: The Chosen One just isn't really my bag.  That's not to say it's "bad", so much as it is to say it's not for me.  From Shanda Games and Goldcool and published by Frogster, I was expecting something as polished and refined (though derivitive) as Runes of Magic.  What I got instead as an Action-MMO that's still badly in need of some translation work to make its grindy nature worth enduring.  It's on par with many other F2P imports, and in some cases it surpasses others, but I guess I've come to expect more from Frogster of late.

Read the rest of our Eligium: Closed Beta Preview.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• MmorpgeriusMmorpgerius Member UncommonPosts: 56

Judging from the last picture, I'm not expecting much.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Wish I'd been invited, I quite like action-MMOs.

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

Japanese panda warriors? Who could have possibly thought of THAT before? *sarcasm*

• ekifekif Member UncommonPosts: 9

The game was just too lazy for me. I could auto-walk to my target, attack a mob, alt-tab and browse the web. Come back in a min or so to see if the mob was dead. Rinse and Repeat.

I was hoping for a game that was at least on par with RoM but this game is something much less.

• 32style32style Member UncommonPosts: 24

Another reason that Chinese shouldn't make MMORPG's. IMO

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

standard F2P mainstream asian-style. i have seen nothing, no gamemechanic or feature, which concerns me to even consider to play this game.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I only played the game for 30 minutes. I was especially shocked about the combat system.

You click on the mob for an auto-attack, then press the hotkey to use your skill which will cancel the auto-attack. So you click the mob again - meanwhile your skill is ready again and you start over once more.

The game reminded me a lot of Ran Online and this fantasy version of Ran which was taken offline about 8 years ago. Except for.. Ran and that other game (really can't remember the name) were more fun than this.

Harbinger of Fools
  • bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Originally posted by Dakeru

I only played the game for 30 minutes. I was especially shocked about the combat system.

You click on the mob for an auto-attack, then press the hotkey to use your skill which will cancel the auto-attack. So you click the mob again - meanwhile your skill is ready again and you start over once more.

The game reminded me a lot of Ran Online and this fantasy version of Ran which was taken offline about 8 years ago. Except for.. Ran and that other game (really can't remember the name) were more fun than this.

Oh, so it isn't really an action-MMO then? Just a normal MMO with misleading genre naming.

• MacroHardMacroHard Member Posts: 104

I don't understand why the Asian game makers ever thought adding in game mechanics to automatically route players to their quests.  Maybe it began as something put in for the purpose of allowing gamers to step away from the games for a quick sec to give them breaks, IDK.

It would drive me crazy with all those grammatical errors in the English translationl

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

The game's graphics seemed really grainy, and the game's combat mechanics seemed sticky for the most part. Yes, the translation errors were bad, but for CB I well expected it...even in OB will probably be quite the few.

I don't have much a problem with auto-route as is saves mouse clicking or carpal tunnel issuse from holding W down.

I don't think this game offers much...easily passible for other games that will come out this year or you can just stick with whatever you are playing now.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

This game is terrible.  I was really hoping for something at least on the level of Runes of Magic even if I didn't enjoy it.  However, this game is terribly subpar.  I couldn't even force myself to play it.

Steam: Neph

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Well, GW2 blends an auto-attack with action battle elements (the first skill on your bar can be right clicked to recast automatically when it cools down) but then GW2 isn't claiming to be an action MMO. On the other hand, TERA ~is~ claiming to be an action mmo, and does something similar. In the end, I think it boils down to implementation, and it seems that's where Eligium is falling flat.

Also, get a better graphics card Will, the game is much prettier than that ;x

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269

makes me anticipate c9 all the more.

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• nurd6nurd6 Member UncommonPosts: 2

I went on a f2p playing spree this past weekend, and while I didn't find Eligium to be a bad game, I found all of the same features in other f2p games and done better.    For anyone keeping score, Eligium is the westernization of Magic World Online 2, a game released in Asia in 2009 (Pandas and all).   I only reached level 38 before the closed beta ended but I found parts of the game to be really fun.  The only problem is that other games have a lot of the exact same features but better presented and more polished.     

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

" So if you're looking for a Wild West game that's reminiscent at times of Lineage, you could do worse."

Really? Could you really do worse? I don't think so. This game is spectacularly bad in nearly every regard.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

It is Frogster, it will cost a fortune to be competitive in both pve and pvp.

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

Anyone actually try out and make sense of the crafting?

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Worst beta I've participated in since Alganon. This game has no reason to exist, and certainly there is no reason why Frogster would waste their time and money publishing it in the west.

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

more of the same crap from the east... another waste of space in the MMO world this game... nothing speical at all in the game, combat same.... themem same... just mor eof the same

• steelfinsteelfin Member UncommonPosts: 121

Why expect so much from Frogster games and 'free' MMOs in general? Just wait until the cash shop arrives...

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

what is it with bloody pandas in games, ahs the MMO industry all of a sudden started aiming there games at 2 years olds...

I do not want to play games with little cuddy animals............................

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

I wish someone would tell other people that WoW's ui was not the reason why it was successful. Other than that, they really need to step up the combat.

• Lighten_UpLighten_Up Member Posts: 108

I feel dirty for actually anticipating this. Goddamnit, Frogster! Stop getting my hopes up each and every time you announce a new game. You did this with Mythos, and now Eligium. A word of warning, stay the hell away from this thing. Just stay the hell from Frogster.

Ironically, the pandas were the only respectable race in this rubbish pile of mediocrity.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Gfx looks good but I often get the impression that these asian MMOs are catering to the younger crowd with little mental challenge. I guess there is not much mental challenge in western MMOs either but alteast it has a more mature look. These pandas and oversized weapons and what not just screams to me that the game is for sub 15 year olds.

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

That screenshot...the UI looks almost 100% identical to Warhammer Online's. No joke, 100%.

WAR default UI