Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 5 Forum Archetypes

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Guess I'd be a peace maker.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• kokotewakokotewa Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by precious328

Kokotewa's above reply just made me think of another archetype.

The Fail Troll.

I'm not a fail troll.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

The Forum Dropout

• Walls of text

• Poor spelling

• Zero sentence structure

• Does not understand the difference of there, their, they're, to, too, and two.

• User name generally has X's around it, e.g., XxNAMExX.
  • TheNitewolfTheNitewolf Member Posts: 102

Decent article. But, like others said, what is described as troll in the list is rather a hater, as trolls generally just try to poke people, no matter how they think about the game in question.

My Signature

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

How about the Jaded One (sounds epic, right)? He instantly puts down any new MMOs because he's been burnt by one or more bad MMOs in the past. I don't see these people as trolls, just angry people that are tired of (what they perceive as) shitty games.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

The one that comes to mind is the "overquoter." This person loves having his individual post be made up of 3,4,5 or even more posts from other people just to say one minor thing about the giant wall of text taking up 98% of his post. Does he expect us to read all this? Or does he just love the "quote" button over the "reply" bottum so much that he can only ever quote things.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by k11keeper

The one that comes to mind is the "overquoter." This person loves having his individual post be made up of 3,4,5 or even more posts from other people just to say one minor thing about the giant wall of text taking up 98% of his post. Does he expect us to read all this? Or does he just love the "quote" button over the "reply" bottum so much that he can only ever quote things.

As someone who has to sift through this stuff -- I hate this guy more than the troll. ;)

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Here's a couple more quick categories for consideration.

The Egotist

The egotist always has an opinion on everything, and is not willing to let any criticism, comment or differing opinion go without a rebuttal.  This poster generally isn't as interested at seeing other posters' opinions, and infrequently reads any of the other posts in a thread.  To them, their idea is the only one that matters.

The Terminator

This forum denisen typically wants to have the last word on everything said.  They will post, hoping to see their name as the 'Last Poster' category.  They think that they 'win' if their name is listed on any page, even if it is page 17 of an obscure game's sub-forum.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Trolls and Fanboys have their places on a discussion forum.  I would add another category, called "spammers".  The spammers have NO places on a forum.   What is a spammer ?  Well it can be a troll or a fanboy.  It's basicly someone with no point of view and  no arguments, posting just to post, making a useless thread like the following examples :

A  fanboy spammer  :

-Man this game ROCKS, get it, get it.

A troll spammer ::

-THIS GAME SUCKS !!  it Sucks !

Both these examples show a typical spammer post, posting is point of view without any meaningful content or reasons to make it's point.   That's spamming in my book.

When it comes to trolls and fanboys, they are welcome to post as long as they add meat (reasons) why they love or hate a game.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Oh I almost forgot about handbag guy!

He can appear at any time, in any thread, discussing any topic and it is his duty, NO God Given mission to sell you cheap knockoff designer handbags via a highly dodgy website

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

The cub scout:

This poster must at all times step in to "help the mod team", he can't stand to see people bicker or attack each other. He likes to pull out his junior moderators assistant badge and try and help police the forum.

The Grand Father of the internet:

This poster loves to talk about the good ole' days. No matter what the subject is, it was done better in his time. This poster also acts similar to the cub scout at times, only instead of loli-pops and gum-drops being used to fuel his posts, he relies on ole #7 and can be rather brutal in his "you kids stop fighting in my yard" rants.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

TL;DR

• MacroHardMacroHard Member Posts: 104

I can be anything you all have mentioned on any given day... rofl.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

I'll add another archetype, the "thread jacker".  Do i need to say what this guy do ?   It's pretty much annoying  only to the original poster.

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

I'm not sure where I fall in there.

I'll argue a point, but not an opinion.

I'll give my opinion on any game I've played (positive or negative), but I dont knock people for theirs.

I dont go starting or looking for arguments, but I dont run away from them either.

I dont mind anwering noobish questions if I can, but I dont like being burdened with people flocking to me for help either.

I guess I'm in forum limbo. I took a D&D personality test once...said  was true neutral. There should be a "Neutral" poster type.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

For those self-identifying as trolls?

(Kidding!)

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I think I tend to lean toward peacemaker.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Bittervet !

You missed a whole category of which I am one!

• ZX81SpectrumZX81Spectrum Member Posts: 39

The Goofball. 

Loosely speaking he/she might be a derivative from the peacemaker/lurker, but with nothing constructive to add in the posts besides some lame jokes.  The goofball is most of the time a lurker (sometimes sadistic in nature and loves to watch AAA titles burn).

As the goofball rarely posts he/she will often only do it in relatively harmless threads; since its opinions are not thought through. When the goofball needs to be taken seriously it has to start the sentence with: "Seriously I....".

80% Goofball - 20% Noob

40 Year old couples and gaming. Toons borrowed from Cyanide and Happiness.Text is Yours truly. Paint ftw :)

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by k11keeper

ROFL that has to be the most annoying type of poster ever, hehehe.

Also, along the same lines, the ones that quote other people and just add "This." as their message.

I'm not sure why but those really get on my nerves.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Has anyone mentioned the Armchair Designer?

Has little or not actual development experience, especially in the video game industry. Will often comment on the time it takes to develop a game's features, or to fix a bug. Will compress any fairly long development Q&A process into just turning feature X off, or adding feature Y to a game to fix various and sundry issues.

Just allow players to only kill other players if those other players have ninja looted! How hard could it be? We do this all the time at the tire factory!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I am all of them! No wait. Not peacekeeper. I am not a Peace Destroyer, just more of a Prod Peace annoyingly with a Really Sharp Stick.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225

Sarcasmatron - the result of a troll and a lurker mating. The sarcamatron scans the forums in search for inept, uninetionally funny or plain stupid posts. After the prey has been identified the sarcasmatron proceeds to comment in the mosts juicy sarcasms it can think of. After shooting the load it goes back and rereads its own post several times, all while commending itself for being so witty. The sarcasmatron is usually neutral to the topic. 

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

wheredoweputthepeoplewhoneverusepunctuationproperlyandthrowinsomel337sp3akandothermindlessdrivelthatsreallynotontopicohandbythewaytheyneverformsentencesintoproperparagraphssowhomevertrystoreadtheirtexthitsforlike198763486987WTFOMGBBQdamageandhastogotothefridgerightawaytogrababeersotheycanchasedownfororfiveadvilandinthemeantimeplottoseekrevengeonthefamilycatsignedunclemolevel50troll/lurker

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Drive-by Poster:

That's me ;D.  I tend to only pick posts in that little box on the front page that catch my eye, I may even reply within that thread more than once, but more often than not, I've shot my gun and am looking for the next interesting thread to poke my head into.