Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

I have a couple months off.

RhevinRhevin Farm, KSPosts: 610Member

I had major knee surgery and am off of work for about another two months. 

I restarted my World of Warcraft account, started fresh, made an(other) 85, and have zero desire to get into raiding. Not sure what it is, but after playing on and off pretty steadily since 2004 I guess I'm just burnt out.

 

So I'm looking for a few suggestions. I used to be into EVE Online a bit. But I found the game had a tad too much waiting. Between all the travelling and scanning, I got bored after a few months. The missions seemed to get repetitive. I played Rift and it was too much like World of Warcraft so I left after a little over a month.

 

All in all, I'm looking for something a little more complex that World of Warcraft (grinding over and over / cookie cutter builds / similiar looking gear / similiar raid mechanics). But, I'm looking for something a little less complex that EVE Online (markets / scanning / POIs / shares / crafting was a tad involved). 

 

Something that I can make a character, explore a bit, perhaps with some crafting, diversity between classes; I really don't want to look like every other warrior out there with the same build/gear. I really don't care about the population. I'm sort of a soloist so if I don't end up grouping up with someone every 5m that's fine with me. Graphics I really don't care about either. I find that content is more important that pretty stuff. I really just don't want to end up doing the same over, and over, and over again at "end game". I don't want to grind missions or dungeons only to have to grind the harder dungeons/missions over, and over, and over again.

 

Iunno if I'm being to vague or perhaps this genre is dying for me. But I need something fresh. Queing for heroics just isn't doing it for me anymore. 

 

Thanks for reading.

________________________
Two atoms walk out of a bar. The first exclaims, "Damn, I forgot my electrons." The other replies, "You sure?". The first explains, "Yea, I'm positive."

Comments

  • KakkzookaKakkzooka Waterbury, CTPosts: 591Member

    Try Guild Wars. You can start obtaining Hall of Monuments points in preparation for Guild Wars 2.

    Re: SWTOR

    "Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

  • RhevinRhevin Farm, KSPosts: 610Member

    I was actually planning on getting GW2. Now, if I get GW1 is there any benefit? Not entirely sure what the monument things are that you speak of. Also, I don't want to buy GW1 only to have GW2 release in a couple weeks making GW1 a waste of time. =P

    ________________________
    Two atoms walk out of a bar. The first exclaims, "Damn, I forgot my electrons." The other replies, "You sure?". The first explains, "Yea, I'm positive."

  • punkrockpunkrock va, VAPosts: 1,777Member
  • WishMeisterWishMeister PortoPosts: 100Member

    I think u should try Fallen Earth, it's a mix of theme park and sanbox game, the crafting is awsome if u like to craft, big world to explore, u can solo instances or team up if u like, most of them u can easly solo them no problem, some will require a team mainly the harder bosses (Masters).

     

    The game as no classes as a traditional mmo, u can follow ur own path either being a rifleman, crafter, mellee or pistols...u can use hybrid builds like rifleman/crafter, or go supportive with team buffs and such...i mean theres a lot to chose from, and lots of paths u can go, it's all up to you.

     

    You have a wardrobe tab wich is used to equip vanity items, items u can dye, and lots of those items (gear) are made by players some are from quests rewards and bought from a merchant, u hardly find some one looking the same at any givin lvl expecially at lvl cap (55)  

     

    As for raids, well theres only one raid ppl do often wich is at Citadel were u gain points to buy crafting components used to make the higher lvl suits and weapons, but since the gear is player made and its not BoP or BoE u can easly skip the grind and make some chips to buy all the components or the whole suit/weapon of ur choice...it's all up to you.

     

    That being said i think u should try the game and see for youself as the game as a F2P option with some restrition ofc...i hope this was of some help ;)

     

    Cheers

  • RhevinRhevin Farm, KSPosts: 610Member

    Welp, just bought Guild Wars Trilogy through Steam. Give that a go I guess. No monthly fee so I can return at my leisure in the future I guess. =]

    ________________________
    Two atoms walk out of a bar. The first exclaims, "Damn, I forgot my electrons." The other replies, "You sure?". The first explains, "Yea, I'm positive."

  • RhevinRhevin Farm, KSPosts: 610Member

    Originally posted by WishMeister

    I think u should try Fallen Earth, it's a mix of theme park and sanbox game, the crafting is awsome if u like to craft, big world to explore, u can solo instances or team up if u like, most of them u can easly solo them no problem, some will require a team mainly the harder bosses (Masters).

     

    The game as no classes as a traditional mmo, u can follow ur own path either being a rifleman, crafter, mellee or pistols...u can use hybrid builds like rifleman/crafter, or go supportive with team buffs and such...i mean theres a lot to chose from, and lots of paths u can go, it's all up to you.

     

    You have a wardrobe tab wich is used to equip vanity items, items u can dye, and lots of those items (gear) are made by players some are from quests rewards and bought from a merchant, u hardly find some one looking the same at any givin lvl expecially at lvl cap (55)  

     

    As for raids, well theres only one raid ppl do often wich is at Citadel were u gain points to buy crafting components used to make the higher lvl suits and weapons, but since the gear is player made and its not BoP or BoE u can easly skip the grind and make some chips to buy all the components or the whole suit/weapon of ur choice...it's all up to you.

     

    That being said i think u should try the game and see for youself as the game as a F2P option with some restrition ofc...i hope this was of some help ;)

     

    Cheers

    I think I tried that before. I really didn't understand it. I tried it for a few days and moved on. I think that was the same time I started playing EVE Online hence why I didn't give FE a decent chance. 

     

    If Guild Wars falls flat I'll give FE another shot. Thanks mate. =]

    ________________________
    Two atoms walk out of a bar. The first exclaims, "Damn, I forgot my electrons." The other replies, "You sure?". The first explains, "Yea, I'm positive."

  • BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Colorado Springs, COPosts: 261Member

    Why not try SWTOR?  It's definitely got enough content for a few months, no matter who you are.  Honestly, though, with such an amazing opportunity that will probably never come around again (2 months from work, I mean), maybe you should go cross something off your bucket list and screw playing games?  There are tons of awesome things you can do, even with a bum knee -- just ask the soldiers in Skyrim :D

    Noone isn't a word; It's "no one". On a side note, you can guess where the word "none" came from.
    ------------------------------
    Their, There, and They're are not interchangeable.

  • Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 17,934Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Rhevin

    Welp, just bought Guild Wars Trilogy through Steam. Give that a go I guess. No monthly fee so I can return at my leisure in the future I guess. =]

    It is pretty massive and should keep you busy a while. :)

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,451Member Uncommon

    You could try Vanguard. People like the crafting and there is a huge world to explore. One can solo on the game but just know that certain areas require a group or you to be higher level. It's not for everyone.

  • ToxiaToxia Lake Charles, LAPosts: 1,319Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Rhevin

    All in all, I'm looking for something a little more complex that World of Warcraft (grinding over and over / cookie cutter builds / similiar looking gear / similiar raid mechanics). But, I'm looking for something a little less complex that EVE Online (markets / scanning / POIs / shares / crafting was a tad involved). 

     

    Something that I can make a character, explore a bit, perhaps with some crafting, diversity between classes; I really don't want to look like every other warrior out there with the same build/gear. I really don't care about the population. I'm sort of a soloist so if I don't end up grouping up with someone every 5m that's fine with me. Graphics I really don't care about either. I find that content is more important that pretty stuff. I really just don't want to end up doing the same over, and over, and over again at "end game". I don't want to grind missions or dungeons only to have to grind the harder dungeons/missions over, and over, and over again.

     

    Iunno if I'm being to vague or perhaps this genre is dying for me. But I need something fresh. Queing for heroics just isn't doing it for me anymore. 

     

    Thanks for reading.

    I'd say final fantasy 11... It's more complex than WOW, less complex than eve(isn't every other game though? =P), you can explore a vast world, it has crafting, much diversity between classes(Main+Sub classes), TONS of content, and getting to endgame isn't going to happen quickly.

    Cons- you'll have to party unless you're good with the game taking even longer to get through, and the graphics arent top notch anymore(though you said you'd trade that for content, which this game DEFINETELY has)

    Figured i'd toss it out there for you in case you hadn't tried/thought of it.

    The Deep Web is sca-ry.

  • MMOman101MMOman101 Posts: 1,274Member Uncommon

    Vanguard.  It has a free trial and if you PC can run it I think you will enjoy it.  The pop is not great.  It has a nce balance between depth/difficulty and fun factor. 

  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon ParisPosts: 1,066Member

    I would download the free trail of Vanguard adn test out all the epic classes. If you like the game then i would sub and join the guild twilight song on the telon server. Yes the game has a low population but if you are in a guild then it don't matter because you can play with guildies and they will be able to make anything you want or you can check out the epic crafting system yourself.

     

    If it's you and your partner then Vanguard is very duo freindly

    http://vanguard.station.sony.com/isleofdawn/

  • RhevinRhevin Farm, KSPosts: 610Member

    Originally posted by Beezerbeez

    Why not try SWTOR?  It's definitely got enough content for a few months, no matter who you are.  Honestly, though, with such an amazing opportunity that will probably never come around again (2 months from work, I mean), maybe you should go cross something off your bucket list and screw playing games?  There are tons of awesome things you can do, even with a bum knee -- just ask the soldiers in Skyrim :D

    I have zero, and I mean ZERO connections to Star Wars. Never watched the movies. Never got into the games. I really have no interest for some reason.

     

    Besides playing games, I build 4x4s. So until I can get into the garage I'll be gaming. I don't own TV (I haven't watched TV in five years) so I'm limited as to what I can do. I think I'll be able to get into the garage in a week or two to do some welding. But I'm really sore. I can sorta walk, but it gets painful. I'm also into firearms and wanted to get into reloading. Though, after buying scales, tumblers, primers, and powders, I'm looking at a $1000+ investment. Really don't want to drop that type of cash on something that I'm not certain I'll enjoy. 

     

    Guild Wars will be done downloading in a few minutes. I'll give that a go. =]

    ________________________
    Two atoms walk out of a bar. The first exclaims, "Damn, I forgot my electrons." The other replies, "You sure?". The first explains, "Yea, I'm positive."

  • WishMeisterWishMeister PortoPosts: 100Member

    Originally posted by Sovrath

    You could try Vanguard. People like the crafting and there is a huge world to explore. One can solo on the game but just know that certain areas require a group or you to be higher level. It's not for everyone.

     

    How could i forget VG omg...shame on me :P

     

    This is a good choice as well, the game is pretty massive :D

  • BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Colorado Springs, COPosts: 261Member

    I hope you feel better soon.  I tried GW for a few weeks but never liked it much.  What I didn't liek was the game lobby feel, it really broke my immersion (I am an RP nerd).  

    Last summer on my honeymoon at Great Basin National Park we ran across some 4x4ers doing a weeklong ride across the desert/mountains.  Now THAT would be fun.  

    I'm with you on TV.  I have one with rabbit ears -- I watch some football and basketball sometimes -- but other than that I never use it.  When this one dies, I won't be replacing it. 

    From time to time, I run across people who haven't seen any of the SW movies.  Amazing.  There's no reason to break your streak now, but I wouldn't avoid them intentionally forever.  Maybe slate them in the week before your 90th birthday or soemthing?  The original movies have some pretty awesome parts for the casual passerby, like me.  

    Whatever you do, I hope you make the best of this awesome opportunity :D

    PS: You WILL enjoy reloading.  It's fun, the loads are better and more consistent, and you never need to make an emergency run to the store for ammo. 

    Noone isn't a word; It's "no one". On a side note, you can guess where the word "none" came from.
    ------------------------------
    Their, There, and They're are not interchangeable.

  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member

    Originally posted by Rhevin

    Guild Wars will be done downloading in a few minutes. I'll give that a go. =]

    The original game only?  Not enough content to occupy you for 60 days, unless you're really a PVP maniac.

    But if you are, there's a lot of titles that'll kill two months :)

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • RhevinRhevin Farm, KSPosts: 610Member

    Originally posted by Icewhite

    Originally posted by Rhevin

    Guild Wars will be done downloading in a few minutes. I'll give that a go. =]

    The original game only?  Not enough content to occupy you for 60 days, unless you're really a PVP maniac.

    But if you are, there's a lot of titles that'll kill two months :)

    I got the trilogy. So, not sure what that means.

     

    Like it so far. I have no idea what I'm doing with all these carapaces and skeletol limbs, but I'll look into it more tomorrow. Started a monk. I enjoy it. I like how you can only take in 8 (I think?) spells wherever you go. No idea what I'm doing with my attribute points. I'll search tomorrow to see if there's a way to redistribute them. In the meantime, I'm just doing what I think is right. 

     

    I'll continue tomorrow. Thanks for the input. =]

    ________________________
    Two atoms walk out of a bar. The first exclaims, "Damn, I forgot my electrons." The other replies, "You sure?". The first explains, "Yea, I'm positive."

  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Sandpoint, IDPosts: 1,526Member

    Originally posted by Rhevin

    Originally posted by Icewhite


    Originally posted by Rhevin

    Guild Wars will be done downloading in a few minutes. I'll give that a go. =]

    The original game only?  Not enough content to occupy you for 60 days, unless you're really a PVP maniac.

    But if you are, there's a lot of titles that'll kill two months :)

    I got the trilogy. So, not sure what that means.

     

    Like it so far. I have no idea what I'm doing with all these carapaces and skeletol limbs, but I'll look into it more tomorrow. Started a monk. I enjoy it. I like how you can only take in 8 (I think?) spells wherever you go. No idea what I'm doing with my attribute points. I'll search tomorrow to see if there's a way to redistribute them. In the meantime, I'm just doing what I think is right. 

     

    I'll continue tomorrow. Thanks for the input. =]

    Guildwars is an awesome game and well worth its money even if you never touch the PVE part of it. I recommend making a PVP character and joining a guild so that you can fight in the AB matches. Use the guildwars wiki if you are not confident enough in making your own builds. PVE characters aren't going to be good for PVP until much later on when you have unlocked most skills from facing bosses. You can try several different classes with the PVP characters. Its best to build faction at first with a monk/warrior build in Random Arena (add the shout that adds to defense from the warrior skills until you can unlock some better ones good for monking) and even though you will only have 5 spells you will gain faction fast and be able to unlock more in just a couple hours. Check the wiki for random arena PVP monk builds. Make sure that they are good for RA. My favorite is by far the monk/warrior with shield bash when it comes to playing a healer. Once you have some PVP experience you can get an idea of what kind of PVE character you want to have by which PVP build was funnest to play so that later on you can PVP in style (PVE gear which isnt better but prettier lol).

    NEWS FLASH! A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore Darkfall Online player and knew just what to do.

  • RhevinRhevin Farm, KSPosts: 610Member

    Been playing for a solid day now. Iunno, I started on the very first series of the game. I prefer PvE for now. I started a Monk/Mes and its fun. Henchmen are awesome. Gearing up is a tad confusing, but its not bad. I wish the warrior henchman would taunt or something. Sucks when I get aggro and end up having to heal both him and myself. But I'm getting the hang of it. For $30, its been keeping me busy and I'm having a good time. =]

    ________________________
    Two atoms walk out of a bar. The first exclaims, "Damn, I forgot my electrons." The other replies, "You sure?". The first explains, "Yea, I'm positive."

  • omega78omega78 ..., CTPosts: 260Member

    I saw someone else suggested FFXI, I must say, that fits your bill. While the graphics may not be of the highest calibur, they have their own unique beauty.

    Twenty Classes, twenty. You can change at anytime and you can have a sub job ( I won't get into it now though but, its pretty much a job thats half the level of your current main job)

    About the grouping stuff. Soloing is FAR easier than it ever was. Pretty much any job can solo now and get good exp, but if you want to level at a rather high rate finding a party is far from difficult. Again though, that is something I'll explain to you play.

    As the other poster stated, content is large...very, very large. The sad part though, is that not much of it is done anymore due to the new "endgame" areas know as Abyssea, but if you find a good linkshell (guild) they'd be glad to go through it with you (usually)

    Now, if your looking for a F2P game that is rather solo friendly and people don't look like clones... Mabinogi is a nice one for that. I've yet to see someone who looks exactly like my character, and it is nearly as difficult to find someone with the exact same combat style as yourself ( when you reach midgame+ at least) The game is decently sized, especially without a mount.

    another often overlooked game is Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine, I don't know if your familiar with the series, but it is a rather nice mmo with very large maps....very. I haven't played this one as much as XI/Mabinogi, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

    I wish you luck in your endeavors and a speedy recover.

    Per...So...Na...

Sign In or Register to comment.