Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan - why it ruined my fun with every other MMORPG

rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

It is not my favor theme, the story of Hyboria.

In general im more sci-fi tuned then these fantasy and medivel scenarios, but after some time in Age of Conan, it becomes more and more hard, to have fun with other cobat systems in games.

Most MMORPGs nowadays use tab'able targets and autocombat, dependend on gear.

And then it looks ugly.

Sorry to say that, but especially the new SWTOR hype and my chance to test it the last weekend made this clear.

The head is not moveing with my view direction, turning the char will simple and static rotate its middle axis.

All games - more or les - are so.

No target, no action.

And then you have this incredible - compared to really all other games - really incredible combat system, incredible cool looking characters AND never before seen character animations.

Once you ate it, you will miss the point in every other games combat system.

I am already happy, that developers seemly coming down from the autoattack feature and expect YOUR action for every action your character should do. Fallen Earth is a good but honestly slow example.

So there is hope for SWTOR, but it will be hard, to step down from combat combinations and standing positions.

It is always problematic, who misses the target, you or the algorythm behind ...

I mentioned SWTOR because it should be the next game, im playing, the beta weekend was really fun, it is a solid and very good game, but im not sure, it can top AoC's combat system at all.

Can you people call other games with outstanding combat systems ?

Comments

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

I'm hoping that TSW will have the combat of AoC. What are you're thoughts on that?

I liked the combat in Tabula Rasa. It had a lot of action to it. In my opinion it had the best sci fi combat.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Yeah, the combat system in AoC is very, very good. The graphics and combat animations of AoC are top notch. I also think that their high end instances are also extremely good. The problem is Funcom thou. Funcom seems to go off on wild tangets on their priorities. Adding things no one asked for (ala invisible walls) while not fixing game breaking bugs (mini game bug). I still to this day do not understand Funcom's decision making process. The game is pretty buggy now (American servers).  

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I also really enjoy AoC's combat animations etc.

Champions Online also  has a great combat system. It also has a blocking mechanic, though quite different. It has attacks that change depending on how long you hold them down - "Charge" attacks. Some that have different effects depending on whether you go beyond 50% charge for example. Some of these in practice become like having two different powers.

For example on my force field character, I can spam one attack with taps for a lot of DPS on a single target, but it is also useful for knocking back a whole pile of foes if I hold it down (which is hard to do since it uses so much power, you have to have an energy form up)

City of Heroes also should be mentioned. Though that is a different story, the combat, the using abilities part is more or less typical for an MMO. The thing that is CoH really tops most other MMOs in is, the complexity and variety of builds.

If you can imagine a fantasy or sci-fi, or super hero character you can approximate it in CoH. That is somewhat true of CO too if you have a paid account, since it is classless, but I think CO has more abilities and the invention origin enhancements make it a little more various imho.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I probably would've been hooked to Age of Conan's combat system if it'd included a Physics system.  It would've brought a lot more brutality to a theme that THRIVES off of brutality.

But, alas, was not to be.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Every time I play another MMO I always compare it to AoC and AoC wasn't even my first MMO.  It was such a huge leap forward from what was being put out at the time and still today!

There are so many things that Funcom did right with this game that I have yet to ever find in another MMO since.  The ambience is just amazing.  When I'm in Cimmeria it can be 90 degrees in my room, but I feel like I should be cold and wearing a heavy coat.  The combat is visceral, gory and takes skill rather than just TAB+1+2+3 like most other MMO's on the market.  The music is amazing, the character customization is really good and now that there is a social clothing tab, everyone can look exactly how they want to look so every person of the same class isn't a clone anymore.

Unfortunately they really screwed up bad in two areas that really count:  end game progression (The Korean/asian style super grind) and PVP.  PVP should never have been gear based, there never should have been separate gear for PVP, and AoC showed us just how terrible of an idea FFA PVP really is.  Faction based PVP with real world objectives to fight over should have always been the model.

As much as I want to only play AoC for the rest of my MMO playing days, they screwed the pooch on everything past leveling to max... but boy did I have a wonderful time getting to 80 on all of my characters.

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

In it's essence the combat system is enjoyable, but pressing four-key combinations for one action is absurd.

The animations, and pretty much everything else involving graphics in the game (including the engine) is pretty fantastic, and assuredly the best of any MMO we'll see for several years.

Funcom aren't really that bright, I'm not sure how they manage to get so much right yet still fail to manage or follow thru properly. (Anarchy Online, Age of Conan.)

Age of Conan is a perfect example...

Great graphics, great story.

1-20 is an excellent single player RPG, until you leave Tortage, where they  dropped the ball entirely.

Fairly sizeable, interesting world - ruined with endless zonelines, leaving gameplay feeling disjointed and broken.

Enjoyable (mostly, I hate the multi-key system) combat, but gear has no hint of relevance in any aspect, leaving you "grinding" out meaningless trite quests for nothing. (I'm not going to rant about how they handle "elite" and "special" world mobs or level scaling.) I never even tried to PVP, but I've yet to hear anything good about it.

Instead of for example, Vanguard - which the only thing that game has ever had going for it is that it's soon dead, and has a giant-ass world. Or Warhammer, with the early days RVR being it's only worthwhile point.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

OP.. Your post hits the spot. Perfectly.

AoC is so fare ahead of even todays games getting launched when it get to tech. There is no way you will find the same number of bones in any character of any other MMO. Also there is no way you will find such an perfect implementation of motion capture animations. There is no way you will find such a crisp wellmade combat system... I really love it and have stayed with the game for ever.

However, the price FunCom had to pay for launching a game with such high ambitions was poorer stability, more complaints and just more complexity in general. However, for those people having the right hardware, haveing a good internet access with a service provider that does not have fcked up and unstable network hubs in their service you can have imense fun. I am one of those lucky guys and I'll stay with AoC for many more years for that reason..

Note: AoC could still be a rising star just for the reason that tech out there in the world and hardware home in the playroom continually gets better. Eventually everyone will be able to play this game without a glitch in it's full splendour. The way I see it, AoC seem to get more users lately.. But that might also just be because SWTOR is tanking.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507

AOC was my favorite MMO of all time.  I loved everything about it until the Asian XPAC which it turned into a big grind and quit shortly after.  To me it still has the best dungeons i have ever played.  They actually felt like dungeons instead of this crap in WOW and SWTOR.  Combat system is the best ever i think.  Graphics are the best ever which to me is extremely important in immersion.  I cant be drawn into a game if it looks horrible.  Soundtrack was incredible, it helped immersion a ton too.  YoI played it for about 2 years straight and cant find anything to replace it. 

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

Leet necro skills

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Both Bioware and FunCom uses a motionsuit for animations so it is kinda odd that you think one is great and the other sucks. It do matters who wears the suit but still...

I do have to admit that I love AoCs use of collision detection instead of targetting in melee. It is excellent and something I wish all other fantasy MMOs should take after.

I had fun a while in AoC but the game is just too small to be really great and the qeusts are somewhat uneven, some of them are really great others rather bad.

• GerrigGerrig Member Posts: 30

Gamed AoC for a while in the beginning and got bored of the game but I truly did love the combat system, not so much about ten tons of abilities but more about movement and constant action. Loved it and would have loved to see it more games. Have no clue how easy it would be to implement in games but the "select target and autofight, chosing different abilities on autopilot" way of combat is boring.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Loke666

Both Bioware and FunCom uses a motionsuit for animations so it is kinda odd that you think one is great and the other sucks. It do matters who wears the suit but still...

I'm not sure either. While SWTORs animations aren't bad, some of them are quite good, they just don't seem to be nearly as well implemented as in AoC, especially the combat.

I keep coming back to play AoC because of the combat (and the great visuals). I agree that Khitai kind of killed a lot of my enthusiasm for the game due to the grind, which was pity because the areas were great and there were a lot of challenging fights. The dungeons were superbly done (if you could find a group for them). But the faction grind was the worst.

Originally posted by DJJazzy

I'm not sure either. While SWTORs animations aren't bad, some of them are quite good, they just don't seem to be nearly as well implemented as in AoC, especially the combat.

I keep coming back to play AoC because of the combat (and the great visuals). I agree that Khitai kind of killed a lot of my enthusiasm for the game due to the grind, which was pity because the areas were great and there were a lot of challenging fights. The dungeons were superbly done (if you could find a group for them). But the faction grind was the worst.

Yep the faction grind is why i pretty much why i quit.   Also i was a tank and felt like i needed to grind 2 sets of armor, protection and regular.  Which made it a horrible grind.  Before Khitai, i could log in and hop in raids and nobody what guild was running it, i knew people in the raid to cut the shit with.  So i never felt like i had to play to keep up but i would just log in do some dungeons and raids, play an alt and if a raid popped, i would just jump in it.  I miss that. 

Originally posted by flguy147

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Yep the faction grind is why i pretty much why i quit.   Also i was a tank and felt like i needed to grind 2 sets of armor, protection and regular.  Which made it a horrible grind.  Before Khitai, i could log in and hop in raids and nobody what guild was running it, i knew people in the raid to cut the shit with.  So i never felt like i had to play to keep up but i would just log in do some dungeons and raids, play an alt and if a raid popped, i would just jump in it.  I miss that.   In other MMOs with the dailys, i feel like if i dont log in that day i get behind, i never felt like that in AOC before Khitai.  I hate daily dungeon and quests crap.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

I do have to admit that I love AoCs use of collision detection instead of targetting in melee. It is excellent and something I wish all other fantasy MMOs should take after.

I had fun a while in AoC but the game is just too small to be really great and the qeusts are somewhat uneven, some of them are really great others rather bad.

tsk tsk.. Loke.

That is too simple of an comment. The number of bones in your character model also play a huge role in how well the animations play out. There is no MMO with more bones in your character than the AoC models. SWTOR today is down at about 70 bones while AoC have a whooping 140... Noone are close even to AoC ( TSW have about 80 bones... but it shows that it is not as ambitious as AoC).

Other things that also is of importance is the timing and implementation of the motion captured data. Even if BioWare dared to go with same number of bones as the FunCom AoC, the animations still could feel wrong. So I think my comment still holds water. AoC animations are unmatched in the entire gameindustry.

The Ultimate Breakdown