Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No PVP gear.. why is that good?

Comments

• brac777brac777 Member Posts: 35

Well actually I don't think you need PVP gear really.  I mean I used to play counter strike for days on end for no other reason than because it was fun, same with TF and TF2.  I never played GW1 but I'm pretty much burnt out on the WOW iteration of MMOs and I'm ready for something different.  Not having a carrot in front of me to grind to get to so I can be 1% better than the next guy I think will be fun.  So I can just sit back and enjoy the PVP, hopefully it will be fun and compelling and not a giant grind. 

On another note for the beta testers, should I pickup GW1 to see how it is and is that a fairly decent way to get a preview of how GW2 combat and stuff works?

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Toxia

You'll get plenty of rewards for being excellent in PVP.

None of them will help you kill others more easily once you have them.

You decide if it's worth playing now. I'll be there. See you on the feild if you are too.

There are global and individual rewards available in World vs World combat.

World benefits

Territories and control points within the map will confer benefits to the world that controls them, such as faster energy/health regeneration, increased drop rate or increased experience gain for a time.

Individual rewards

Players can gain experience and level their character, including rangers charming pets,[9] entirely in World PvP. Killing people in World vs World gives the player loot which means a player doesn't need to leave World PvP to get better gear.

Taken from the wiki^^

So, you DO get your armor, though it wont be statisticlly better, it may have unique looks that shows you got it from PVPing. so its an epeen i spose.

Spot on..WvWvW is about the server and community not the individual looking to wtf pawns i have the best gear on the server.People like the OP have a hard time getting their heads round that concept.

Faster xp

Enhanced loot drops 

And numerous other benefits for the controlling server.

Individual glory can be found in structual PVP but that is leader boards and not epic PVP loot drops. OP, you play or you don't,i guess if you don't SWTOR and WOW will be your home for years to come.

Come on ArenaNet..give us a Darkness Falls type dungeon for the icing on the cake.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by sammyeli

Its looking pretty equal to me 

PvE - Pesonal story + World PvE

PvP - WvWvW-PVE + Hot joins 

2 on one side 2 on the other, I don't understand where the notion that anet is going for one or the other more is coming from.

Fixed it for you.image

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Why do people need pvp gear over regular gear? Shouldnt your regular gear be just as good? Shouldnt need to grind a million points, tokens, or commedations to have pimped out pvp gear like in so many games. I just dont understand the need for pvp gear, shouldnt even be an issue.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by sammyeli

Its looking pretty equal to me 

PvE - Pesonal story + World PvE + Dungeons

PvP - WvWvW + Hot joins + Tournaments

2 on one side 2 on the other, I don't understand where the notion that anet is going for one or the other more is coming from.

Still equal  :)

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• PTEDPTED Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by jackman1118
    Will I be able to get anything but "fun" out of pvp?
    (note: I am not asking for pvp gear to own casuals, but I need something to aim for when pvp'ing!)

There is PvP gear in a sense...

Structured PvP is entirely separate from the other aspects of the game. As such, cosmetic options displayed in PvP must be earned in PvP. You've also got titles/achievements and player run tournaments.

Not much else has been announced as of yet, however, as the PvE side of the game has been more than well covered, PvP is next up so stay tuned.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Confession: I like swtor's carrot on the stick (if that disqualifies me from liking this game too then so be it)

But without pvp gear, what keeps me pvping in guild wars 2? I am trying to find information but all I see is people saying "Its fun, thats why you should play it!"

I play mmo's to progress a character, I play sc2 or fps' for competitive fun. (cause its a rpg)

Will this game provide the same types of ladders and stat tracking that a fps or a sc2 provides to keep me playing? This is something dearly lacking from swtor and if this game *plans* on having it at release I will be very interested.

(note: I am not asking for pvp gear to own casuals, but I need something to aim for when pvp'ing!)

Pvp gear just don't work, it end up being abused to gain them, not to mention it unbalance the game so much. Look at Aion and all those games with "pvp gear". Imo there is only one single reason to put pvp gear, and you will not like to hear it. Its to make carebears and noobs understand pvp isn't that bad as they think, and that playing against or with oither people is like fun sometime too. *roll eyes*. YE those people need some carrot on a stick because they don't want to wark by themselves.

But even if you want to give some rewards, they are far better rewards to give that something that imbalance the gameplay. I think rank is a good exemple of that, it is used by pretty much any competition game, it's not for nothing.

• BladedsunBladedsun Member Posts: 7

Well in WoW the first PvP gear you could obtain didnt have stats like resilience or valor. They later added resilience because the PvE gear was far too dps based with very little defense to mitigate all the damage. So tier 2-3 guys would one shot eachother and everyone else around them. The high dps stats the PvE gear had was due to the endgame bosses having a million health. WoW was the first place I ever saw resilience, and at the time it really helped balance PvP, until a week later when ppl maxed out their resilience and became invincible. So in Rift they had both resilience and valor, to take less damage in pvp and do more... lol.

Essentially though PvP gear shouldn't be needed unless the regular gear becomes too high dps for players defensive capabilities to handle. Without the introduction of new levels of gear ie. tier 1, t2, t3 etc. and If the strength of the gear stays constant and does damage consistant with our health bars, we won't need pvp specific gear.

I wouldnt mind having 3 sets of gear though. In every other game I always have carried atleast 2 sets. But Id rather carry 3 sets of gear that only have minor function differences rather than whole gameplay requirements. Like a set that gives me a bit of an edge on health regen, or a set that gives slightly higher haste and CD speed.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

Originally posted by svann

Originally posted by Arawnite

Gotta love whining from WoW kids...

So OP... I guess if you can't grind or exploit your way into having a gear advantage over other players, you don't see the point?

There needs to be a Godwin's correllary for wow imo.

I support this.

• BladedsunBladedsun Member Posts: 7

What I really love about the gear in GW2 is that armor will mitigate all types of damage physical and magical. Warriors wont have a magic defense gear build, and a seperate phys def build. Magic users wont naturally be more defensive to magic. But Ill say again that I would love to see enchantments atleast but would prefer gear with attributes that Id need to either grind for or search out that give bonuses to certain traits such as haste or run speed or increased health. Everyone in the same gear is great, but I would like to tweak my gear a little, give myself 5 pieces of haste gear with the haste enchant, and 3 pieces of run speed with more haste enchants, while another guy could tweak his gear with improved health regen and increased health. just to add a little flavor to the game and allow everyone their own playstyle bonuses, to be better at how they play.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Confession: I like swtor's carrot on the stick (if that disqualifies me from liking this game too then so be it)

But without pvp gear, what keeps me pvping in guild wars 2? I am trying to find information but all I see is people saying "Its fun, thats why you should play it!"

I play mmo's to progress a character, I play sc2 or fps' for competitive fun. (cause its a rpg)

Will this game provide the same types of ladders and stat tracking that a fps or a sc2 provides to keep me playing? This is something dearly lacking from swtor and if this game *plans* on having it at release I will be very interested.

PVP should be competitive. PVP in MMORPGs isn't competitive, it's a gear race. I play the best PVP in League of Legends and CoD Modern Warfare 1 (modded). I hope Guild Wars 2 can bring it too.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Did some of you actually read he's question?

He's not asking for gear to pwn everyone, he's asking about the incentive for him personally with PVP.  He happens to like gear treadmills, funnily enough some people like the idea of progressing their character through new gear.  It gives them something to aim for, it's a simple formula thats kept other games successful.

@OP My take on the PVP system is that it'll be more achievement based, i.e. achieveing a certain score or doing certain things will get you some cosmetic reward/titles.  It won't give you any statistical benefits and they'll be seperate systems for the more serious structured PVP and more casual drop in stuff.  

You have to remember that GW2 is a B2P game.  Most other games use gear treadmills as a way to keep people paying a sub fee.  There's no need for that here, so I think the philosophy is to attract the hardcore pvpers on the competitive side, (i.e. there looks like they'll be support for cash prize tournaments, much like SC2 and other FPS have), while at the same time having a seperate drop in system for those who like the fun of PVP.

Of course this is theory, they haven't gone into great detail about PVP as they have with the PVE side as yet.  I for one am in favour of this sort of system, I think it'll make for a better community without all the lootwhoring but I can understand if thats not your bag.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by Omnifish

Did some of you actually read he's question?

He's not asking for gear to pwn everyone, he's asking about the incentive for him personally with PVP.  He happens to like gear treadmills, funnily enough some people like the idea of progressing their character through new gear.  It gives them something to aim for, it's a simple formula thats kept other games successful.

@OP My take on the PVP system is that it'll be more achievement based, i.e. achieveing a certain score or doing certain things will get you some cosmetic reward/titles.  It won't give you any statistical benefits and they'll be seperate systems for the more serious structured PVP and more casual drop in stuff.  

You have to remember that GW2 is a B2P game.  Most other games use gear treadmills as a way to keep people paying a sub fee.  There's no need for that here, so I think the philosophy is to attract the hardcore pvpers on the competitive side, (i.e. there looks like they'll be support for cash prize tournaments, much like SC2 and other FPS have), while at the same time having a seperate drop in system for those who like the fun of PVP.

Of course this is theory, they haven't gone into great detail about PVP as they have with the PVE side as yet.  I for one am in favour of this sort of system, I think it'll make for a better community without all the lootwhoring but I can understand if thats not your bag.

i answer for the question does one need pvp gear, why does pvp need different gear than any other aspect of the game? pve or pvp should be implemented to be choise of playing style not some statt dependable where there is various examples on this, wow pvp was fun when resilence wasnt there for example in my cup of tea. caster should only last few swing from heavy sword when wearing a robe, and caster can seriously harm heavy sword wilder from distance , simple but yet so hard to understand.

• robsonicrobsonic Member UncommonPosts: 26

My opinion is that there should be PvP gear, but it should be totally cosmetic.

But this means that it needs to look REALLY awesome.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Keep PVP skill based, rather than gear advantage based.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by robsonic

My opinion is that there should be PvP gear, but it should be totally cosmetic.

But this means that it needs to look REALLY awesome.

And that is exactly how GW2 will be, with it's Structured PvP. Only in WvWvW will gear matter in PvP and that is because your character will use it's PvE gear there.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by causs

PVP should be competitive. PVP in MMORPGs isn't competitive, it's a gear race. I play the best PVP in League of Legends and CoD Modern Warfare 1 (modded). I hope Guild Wars 2 can bring it too.

Thats why they made 2 type of pvp in GW2, one is purely competitive and everyone have the same stuff, other in the Mist is more mmo like style open world pvp, and honestly having both is really good imo. But it doesn't meant to mist kind of pvp should be a gear race as in some game that are very gear dependant, you still can make non gear based game, as they say.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Requiamer

Originally posted by causs

Thats why they made 2 type of pvp in GW2, one is purely competitive and everyone have the same stuff, other in the Mist is more mmo like style open world pvp, and honestly having both is really good imo. But it doesn't meant to mist kind of pvp should be a gear race as in some game that are very gear dependant, you still can make non gear based game, as they say.

I also like how the combat compliments all this, I can't name an MMO were you could dodge literal attacks and no damage happens or block and no damage happens even in AoC and DCUO combat was that intense done, you could flee and still be hit out of range for mobs.

So in WvWvW you can be "out geared" and "out levelled" but still manage to take down a foe. I actually don't know if scalling is in, I figured it was since DE's and enemie AI are in as well.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

sidekicking is in but it only really affects your power one way, down. you can be made weaker...but your stas come from attributes. you will not be given hundreds of attribute points and skills on the fly. you get high HP and perhaps base stats, that's about it. that's why they say a lvl 10 sidekicked up is weaker than a lvl 20 sidekicked up, who is weaker than a lvl 40 sidekicked up, etc.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

Originally posted by Siveria

I think having pvp earnable gear ruins it for everyone. Should have to raid like everyone else for your gear to use it to pvp with. It worked fine in dark age of camelot and a few other mmo's don't know why all the recent mmo's insist on having 2 seperate gear sets one earnable thru pvp and one thru pve.

The dumbest thing is forcing players to pve in order to have pvp gear, which WoW learned long ago. WoW may have some problems but how they separate pvp and pve in that game was ingenious. Why would it make sense for someone who can spend 3-5 days a week raiding have the advantage over someone who cannot. 

PVP gear was meant to reward people for skill in battle not how much time they can spend in game a week. 

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by fony

PVP Gear vendors right here. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SOKqmeE-8c#t=1m44s

and yes, there will be stat tracking of some kind, as well as titles.

Are you sure that was GW2?  That looked like a chezzy fluorescent colored console game, Im being totally serious, Ive seen videos of in game footage before and it looked allot richer than than that clip.

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

GW2 doesn't need PVE or PVP gear separation because it doesn't have RAID or PVE gear in the first place. All gear is using the same scale so all gear is pvp or pve. Theres not some stupid PVE only or PVP only stats like in WOW. There are no raid only dungeon Phat lootz in guild wars, theres just loot no matter where you get it. 

• ArawniteArawnite Member Posts: 163

Originally posted by Onomas

Why do people need pvp gear over regular gear? Shouldnt your regular gear be just as good? Shouldnt need to grind a million points, tokens, or commedations to have pimped out pvp gear like in so many games. I just dont understand the need for pvp gear, shouldnt even be an issue.

The split between PvE gear and PvP gear was introduced with the WoW Burning Crusade expansion, in response to the number of complaints about the huge imbalance created with late vanilla raid gear. The main complaint was the fact that someone who hardly ever participated in PvP (and often low skill) now had a huge advantage in PvP due to the stats of the gear alone.

When Naxxramas was introduced, only a small % of the playerbase was able to complete it and farm it for gear, and those that could had a huge advantage over anyone that wasn't a hardcore raider or anyone that hadn't done the grind for High Warlord/ Grand Marshal rank (and even then the set bonuses were superior on the T3 raid gear). So Blizzard decided that with the upcoming expansion they would introduce another character statistic, resilience, that only had an effect on incoming hits from other players.

This served two purposes: (1) allowing the playerbase that preferred PvP over hardcore raiding to have a distinct gear advantage over the primarily PvE crowd during PvP....and the PvE crowd to have a distinct gear advantage over the primarily PvP crowd during PvE. (2), and this is what I think was the primary reason for the change, it forced the playerbase that liked both PvE and PvP to spend twice as long on gear progression for their character, ensuring a much longer subscription period.

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

People play games to not have fun...?

Maybe I already knew this, but I never wanted to believe something so .... Fill in the blank.  It's not a positive word.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Originally posted by Arawnite

Originally posted by Onomas

The split between PvE gear and PvP gear was introduced with the WoW Burning Crusade expansion, in response to the number of complaints about the huge imbalance created with late vanilla raid gear. The main complaint was the fact that someone who hardly ever participated in PvP (and often low skill) now had a huge advantage in PvP due to the stats of the gear alone.

When Naxxramas was introduced, only a small % of the playerbase was able to complete it and farm it for gear, and those that could had a huge advantage over anyone that wasn't a hardcore raider or anyone that hadn't done the grind for High Warlord/ Grand Marshal rank (and even then the set bonuses were superior on the T3 raid gear). So Blizzard decided that with the upcoming expansion they would introduce another character statistic, resilience, that only had an effect on incoming hits from other players.

This served two purposes: (1) allowing the playerbase that preferred PvP over hardcore raiding to have a distinct gear advantage over the primarily PvE crowd during PvP....and the PvE crowd to have a distinct gear advantage over the primarily PvP crowd during PvE. (2), and this is what I think was the primary reason for the change, it forced the playerbase that liked both PvE and PvP to spend twice as long on gear progression for their character, ensuring a much longer subscription period.

Dont see how having the same gear would give anyone an advantage. This pvp grind to get tokens, commedations, or whatever is just a form of bad content to keep people occupied while they think of more content.

This is also why i am against loot based gear. Crafted gear should be the only thing that should be used in a mmo. Then there is no set advantage or disadvantage. Goes by your stats on armor which you can pick and chose.

Many games dont have this type of gear and do just fine. Dont see how GW2 would be any worse or better with it or without.

I hope more mmo's start moving away from pvp/raid gear garbage.