Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited: Entering the Forgotten Realms

1235»

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by drbaltazar

Originally posted by ropenice

Originally posted by Loke666

No, I'm talking about the open world aspect, I just used to recent examples to get that point across.

Frankly could it be with someless phasing than Wow and LOTRO.

But yeah, lets have an open FR game with either D&D 3.5 or even better the Pathfinder ruleset. Both those mechanics works perfect straight over to a MMO andit ain't the number of levels that matter anyways but the time it take to max out as any DDO player can tell you.

Another Wow but slapped with a Forgotten realms skin on the other hand is nothing I really want.

Open world doesn't fit DnD-which is based on modules and crafted quests, not 100 people running around the same area fighting over mobs or waiting for a boss to respawn. This is one IP where instancing is actually the better way to do it, as they can craft the story, dungeons, etc fora small party to run without breaking the immersion of a bunch of other adventurers running around in it. If you want a 50 person raid where they beat on some giant mob boss for a half hour, they already have plenty of games like that. There's room for a game to do instancing the right way and other games to be open-world or sandbox.

Umm...since when does open world = 50 person raids?  You can still have your instanced dungeons, but I'm sorry, when I read any of the Forgotten Realms novels, I imagine breathtaking vistas that will melt my graphics card.  And if I see that mountain in the distance, I better be able to climb it and find Frost Giants on it's peaks, and things like that.  That's what I long for in MMOs and only Lotro has come close to giving me that feeling.  But even that game has invisible walls or unclimbable mountains.

sadly you havent read the book cause a lot of what happens say in dritz era adventure take place in various area of underdark

and the way it is described it isnt for the clostrophobic

Wow, you are just reaching now.  I read those books, Drizzt is one of my favorite literary characters and I LOVE the idea of the Underdark and Menzoberanzan.  It could be it's on expansion similar to how Moria was with Lotro but even bigger.  See all the potential here of open world mechanics? I sure do.

they dont need to make huge change ,wow showed it is possible that have open instance,same with swtor but their engine is so bad they cant keep more then 80 player at a time in ilum.but i saw way more then 80 in the daily of rage of fireland in wow.and it is possible,as long as it isnt a close instance i dont really care ,and of cuarse the area are big enough you dont want a 5 foot by 5 foot area like dragon nest .that is a nono

• RevenusRevenus Member Posts: 70

I play DDO sporadically at best and the sad truth is;  the game could be 100 times worse and I would play on a more serious level should they embrace a Forgotten Realms world.

I grew up table-topping and adventuring through places like the Underdark and Myth Drannor.  The current setting never made much sense to me.  Especially considering FR was and is the most popular D&D setting.  

"There is a certain undeniable power in the void; within lies an unspoken promise of greatness, the shadowy truth that man is ruled by fear not of what is seen, but of what he perceives is seen beyond."

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by EduardoASG

interesting. Eberron was a bad choice compared to FG or Kryyn or  Greyhawk...

Eberron was the only choice though.  WotC was just launching the Eberron campaign setting when development on DDO began.  The only way for Turbine to get the green light for DDO was to set it in Eberron.  WotC had hoped a game based on the new world would drum up interest for the table top campaign. 

I would have personally loved to have seen the first setting for DDO to be Krynn.  As much as I love the RAS books about TFR, my first novels in high fantasy were Weis and Hickman and their tales of Krynn.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

No, I'm talking about the open world aspect, I just used to recent examples to get that point across.

But yeah, lets have an open FR game with either D&D 3.5 or even better the Pathfinder ruleset. Both those mechanics works perfect straight over to a MMO andit ain't the number of levels that matter anyways but the time it take to max out as any DDO player can tell you.

Another Wow but slapped with a Forgotten realms skin on the other hand is nothing I really want.

Open world doesn't fit DnD-which is based on modules and crafted quests, not 100 people running around the same area fighting over mobs or waiting for a boss to respawn. This is one IP where instancing is actually the better way to do it, as they can craft the story, dungeons, etc fora small party to run without breaking the immersion of a bunch of other adventurers running around in it. If you want a 50 person raid where they beat on some giant mob boss for a half hour, they already have plenty of games like that. There's room for a game to do instancing the right way and other games to be open-world or sandbox.

Umm...since when does open world = 50 person raids?  You can still have your instanced dungeons, but I'm sorry, when I read any of the Forgotten Realms novels, I imagine breathtaking vistas that will melt my graphics card.  And if I see that mountain in the distance, I better be able to climb it and find Frost Giants on it's peaks, and things like that.  That's what I long for in MMOs and only Lotro has come close to giving me that feeling.  But even that game has invisible walls or unclimbable mountains.

I didn't say open world = 50 man raid-I said open world with 100 people running around fighting over mobs would break a dnd immersion. DnD has always been about small group heroics fighting against near overwhelming opposition, doing the improbable and taking down a Lich-king, or stopping the threat of a giant invasion, etc. and you can't do that without a crafted scenerio built for a small group. What you (and others i see on this thread) are suggesting is taking the DnD IP and making it like games that are already exist. We don't need a dnd WoW or LOTR. DnD IP should stick as close to the PnP version as possible (with allowance for vid game mechanics) and not be a copy of another games mechanics or style. DDO has quests out in wilderness areas and not just in dungeons, but they are instanced for a single group.

They even have large Wilderness zones that you get xp for finding explorer points, xp for killing the mobs you encounter and xp for finding and defeating rare boss mobs which you get loot for as well. In these wilderness areas there are quest entrances  you can find and lead to an instanced dungeon or wilderness story. I know people like sandbox or more open world games (the open world in DDO is the huge city zones that you socialize, etc.)-i like these other type of games as well, but don't think they would capture the DnD feel very well, as they would be like a normal mmo in a DnD setting, with normal mmo mechaniocs.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389

Originally posted by drbaltazar

sadly you havent read the book cause a lot of what happens say in dritz era adventure take place in various area of underdark

and the way it is described it isnt for the clostrophobic

Hmm you haven't read many R A Salvatore books in that series have you ?  Because they, many of them happen OUTSIDE of the underdark.

I whole heartedly agree with elocke on this, i want to be able to explore faerun and not just some of its "dungeons".

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

Well, this will be interesting.

Turbine has pretty much driven me from my favorite games with their money grabs, but this is going to be direct competition to earn players who actually play the real D+D. sorry, DDO isn't D+D, it's Ebberon, and was a poor choice.

This is also the real test for Wizards. They are going to mess with original TSR worlds now, the worlds that made the game what it is, the worlds Wizards basically screwed up with their new systems. Hopefully having both Turbine and Perfect World creating Forgotten Realms settings for an MMO, someone might find the 'magic in a bottle' that was the reason this whole genre exists in the first place. Hell, the original Everquest was closer to the world TSR created than the 4th edition ruleset Wizards made.

But I digress, I will definitely be playing Neverwinter, and am excited there will be a direct competition to it so it will have to be good to keep us....which I don't think PW will have a problem doing, Turbine on the other hand will have to step up it's game 10-fold.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by Storman1977

Originally posted by EduardoASG

interesting. Eberron was a bad choice compared to FG or Kryyn or  Greyhawk...

Eberron was the only choice though.  WotC was just launching the Eberron campaign setting when development on DDO began.  The only way for Turbine to get the green light for DDO was to set it in Eberron.  WotC had hoped a game based on the new world would drum up interest for the table top campaign. 

I would have personally loved to have seen the first setting for DDO to be Krynn.  As much as I love the RAS books about TFR, my first novels in high fantasy were Weis and Hickman and their tales of Krynn.

Best thing about taking an MMO into the Forgotten Realms, is the fact that Krynn can be reached from there both in game and legally since it's the same gaming company.

I too love Krynn, some of my favorite books as a child, but such an endeavor for an MMO is really pushing the boundaries...I would rather them see if they could do Forgotten Realms right first, then Ravenloft, Dark Sun, PlaneScape, then Krynn.

Tons of content from D+D once you start with the Forgotten Realms as the anchor.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Man. I'm old. I see many think of Drizzt when the Underdark is mentioned. Understandable. I too, read and enjoyed many of those tales by R.A. Salvatore (among other stories..his or otherwise..based on D&D). However..I thought of "Descent into the Depths of the Earth" when I heard the news and was no less excited.lol. Granted those modules took place in what was the  Underdark of the world of Greyhawk.

• kimochiikimochii Member UncommonPosts: 7

The F2P model is ok for like lvls 1-8 maybe 1-10 (which actually takes a while unless you power lvl, levels are significant). After that most everything you'd want to do costs turbine points and the lack of bank/inventory space is going to really start bugging you. You get points for leveling and the first time you complete a quest so you'll have enough to pick up an adventure pack or too, but unless you are happy grinding those over and over you'll want to buy one.  I never play DDO until I'm willing to pay the subscription, one because most of my characters are a restricted race or class, and two because it really sucks to try to find a group for something and everyone is doing p2p content. The VIP subscription pretty much covers all the content though so I'm happy to pay for it when I want to play and hardly use the store except to expand my shared bank space.  

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

it's too bad they couldn't convert the entire current setting to forgotten realms

DDO is great but the eberron setting is so awful

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Was interested till I went to the site to reactivate and their billing system is messed up...does not create a lot of confidence in them.

• Holst86Holst86 Member UncommonPosts: 57

Turbine, f2p and Forgotten realms? I'm shivering in fear! The only reason DDO is popular at all is because its f2p otherwise it would have been dead and buried a long time ago, which would have been a good thing. As a true D&D and mmo player I put all my wishes that Neverwinter will be good. Fail = exploiting popular titels in games under the average standard.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Holst86

Turbine, f2p and Forgotten realms? I'm shivering in fear! The only reason DDO is popular at all is because its f2p otherwise it would have been dead and buried a long time ago, which would have been a good thing. As a true D&D and mmo player I put all my wishes that Neverwinter will be good. Fail = exploiting popular titels in games under the average standard.

Neverwinter uses the 4th edition rules... They are really bad and I am not sure if you played Forgotten realms 4.0 or not but they killed of more or less the entire realms.

DDO is not really a bad game but it is a CORPG, not a MMO and should not be played like one. It should be played with a few friends, not PUGed or soloed. Ok, it is sad that Biowares "Neverwinter nights" from 2001 had way better dungeons but still many real MMOs have far worse than DDO.

(we live in the same town BTW)

• JumdorJumdor Member Posts: 62

@tkobo - I laughed hard man. 

True enough people making a game will rarely just as in film be able to capture something written in a book to the liking of the players or viewers. To capture Lloth's world you would have to redvelop aspects of the game that these developers will not want to stretch their budgets for. You will see small aspects that will be probably close to the lore, but will not be to the levels your hope and others hype may reach. 

"Love can be innocent and can be sweet, but sometimes about as nice as rotting meat."

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

Yep,DDO is not a bad game. Like loke... said, it is more CORPG than MMO, but the eberron setting sucks.

They should have gone with some other setting,anything is better then this one.

Who knows,maybe this crossover works out and improve the game.

• ColligulaColligula Member Posts: 2

This is exciting news but as a forgotten realms fan i'm disappointed. i was hoping that ddo would come out with a seperate new game, a more classic open world style game with actual pvp in it. the idea of playing the same old ddo with just a great new series of dungeons for you and only a couple select friends to explore is not what i was hoping. combine the combat and game play of ddo of old with an open world with plenty of pvp areas/ faction battles or whatever, i.e. wow similar or ultima online and they would have had a game i could commit years of gaming to. add some options later to purchase parts of the server and build your own houses or guild head quarters and you got the greatest epic mmorpg game ever created with a world like forgotten realms to explore.

dungeon instances are still perfectly fine to have, i would just like to see some towns without loads between them, some random wandering monsters and areas that i can go to have fun ctf or faction/guild war seiging