Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perma-banned for using a meme

Comments

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by Weretigar

Anywayz it is in the terms of service that this game is for 13+ 

/thread end

Fixed that for you.

CSR has bigger things to deal with than chasing down some ridiculous YouTube meme or go through a process to maybe possibly verify if some moron is over 13 or not when he says he's 12. In this case, the ban is well deserved, just for being an idiot. Federal law is federal law and a game company isn't going to risk ANYTHING that might put their compliance in jeopardy. 

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by Lidane

Anywayz it is in the terms of service that this game is for 13+ 

/thread end

Fixed that for you.

CSR has bigger things to deal with than chasing down some ridiculous YouTube meme or go through a process to maybe possibly verify if some moron is over 13 or not when he says he's 12. In this case, the ban is well deserved, just for being an idiot. Federal law is federal law and a game company isn't going to risk ANYTHING that might put their compliance in jeopardy. 

With the permission of parents, a child of 12 can play. Your logic is flawed.

• Cameron27Cameron27 Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by KyutaSyuko

A question to all those that think BW jumpped the gun.  If you walked up to a police officer and told them straight out that you murdered someone in cold blood what do you think would happen?

Meme or not they have to take things at face value.

Ok I'll take this through the woodshed. First, Bioware has his stated age on file from when he registered his account, so it's like telling the police one day, "Oh yeah I was out in Botswana on the 24th of May 2011." and then later when you're walking into the police station with your friend you crack a joke saying, "I killed Mr. Sandoval last May with a rusty shovel." Now the police are forced to believe one of two contradicting statements.

In the case of Bioware they have to believe that either he was lying when he registered or if he's lying on the forum, both of which are equally possible which makes the ban stupid because they clearly never attempted to judge which was true and which was false.

Tallyho!

"I will not play it nor any other MMO until they make it possible to obtain the best gear without forcing people to group up to do so." SwampRob

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

Federal law also gives you right to due process, which means innocent until proven guilty. If they took the time to ban him they could have took the 2 sec to check his age. Hiding behind the law for bad customer service and pretending they can do no wrong isn't going to help the issue. 

HUMOR: SWToR as Told by Episode III and /v/ - Lo-Ping

Originally posted by Ausare

Why should they waste their time checking his age?  The other night at a bar during a football game the owner had told people it was setup for fans of one team.  He did not want other people there wearing other team gear because he was being sponsored.  Someone came in wear a different team...thought it was all funny and even had another shirt to wear.  Owner kicked him out and tresspassed him from the property.  Private groups do not have to verify or try to understand your joke.  They set rules and if there are enough people that "Mr. Funny" will not be missed then kick him.  His anger and venom will be a memory in a few day and eveyone that wants to try the game or is playing the game will continue on.

Oh man it's another gem. I bet that guy wearing the other team's gear paid the owner money before he showed up, and  the owner presented him with a legally binding ToS contract. I bet that's just what happened. It's not like a person goes to restaurant and pays after they've already eaten, heavens no. They pay before they even enter the restaurant.

Private groups have to be fair to their customers. He most certainly should have been questioned, but I believe having his billing information match up with his account registration would be enough proof. Or do 12 year-olds have credit cards these days?

"I will not play it nor any other MMO until they make it possible to obtain the best gear without forcing people to group up to do so." SwampRob

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Banning Trolls is never bad customer service.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

He violated TOS end of story and this  really don't see how federal government would be any use. It is just like ay other business banning you for violating the private establishments rules.

Originally posted by Epicent

Sure. But that permission doesn't give the child the right to violate the TOS. In fact, just like any other private business, EA and Bioware are will within their rights to ban over this:

http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/#section9

Federal law also gives you right to due process, which means innocent until proven guilty. If they took the time to ban him they could have took the 2 sec to check his age. Hiding behind the law for bad customer service and pretending they can do no wrong isn't going to help the issue. 

HUMOR: SWToR as Told by Episode III and /v/ - Lo-Ping

"Innocent until proven guilty" only applies in criminal cases. The guy violated the TOS of a video game when the company outright tells you they can ban you at their discretion. 

Sure. But that permission doesn't give the child the right to violate the TOS. In fact, just like any other private business, EA and Bioware are will within their rights to ban over this:

I bet if they posted this section in big capitol letters at the top when you first made your account or had it in gamestop and bestbuy under the game they wouldnt have sold a million copies. 

I still don't get it. Wouldn't he literally have to become a 12 year-old to violate the ToS? I mean he wasn't violating when he gave them his age on his account the first time, but now he is?

I bet if they posted this section in big capitol letters at the top when you first made your account or had it in gamestop and bestbuy under the game they wouldnt have sold a million copies. 

It's the standard TOS that every single person agrees to in every single MMO on this site. You agree to play by a developer's rules. If you break the rules, you're gone.

Most people are smart enough to know that, so they don't act like idiots and break the TOS.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Just curious...if the guy is older than 13, then how did he violate the TOS? If he genuinely is older than the required age, then technically he isn't in violation of the TOS, and a statement that he is 12 still doesn't change that fact. Surely a joke isn't a TOS violation, so what TOS rule did he break?

• SepulcherSepulcher Member Posts: 216

AS has been stated, he didn't violate the TOS.  Is there a clause that says you can not say you are under 13 on the forums?  As a major company you think they would check their facts before they ban people.  If someone says they are a wookie would they get banned because wookies have no rights on earth?  Use your brains people.

If people can get banned for making a joke, even if you think it is a stupid one, then the customer service at bioware is retarded.

Originally posted by Jimmac

Just curious...if the guy is older than 13, then how did he violate the TOS? If he genuinely is older than the required age, then technically he isn't in violation of the TOS, and a statement that he is 12 still doesn't change that fact. Surely a joke isn't a TOS violation, so what TOS rule did he break?

How does Bioware have any guarantee that they are legitimately older? Also, why should they go through a lengthy verification process when they've likely got billing issues and other CSR problems that would require more immediate attention?

Imagine the outcry on these boards if EA took time away from handling credit cards being improperly charged or some other major billing or account issues to verify if some guy is 13 or not because he decided to be a moron and follow some YouTube meme instead of acting like an adult. The shit storm around here would be worse than usual.

Just like any other business, EA says outright that they reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. They can terminate your account at their discretion if they think you broke the rules. Simple as that. 

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132

They should ban you for using the term meme, because Dawkins is a retard for college freashmen who are afraid of developing individual thought and hasn't written anything new or relevant since 1976.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

What a pathetic company. 

The chances of me buying a BW game in the future continue to sink faster than a rock.

I must say, this is perversely amusing to watch from the sidelines. And the Biodrones always provide comedic gold when it comes to making the most asinine excuses for SWTOR, BW and EA. Hah. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

How does Bioware have any guarantee that they are legitimately older? Also, why should they go through a lengthy verification process when they've likely got billing issues and other CSR problems that would require more immediate attention?

Imagine the outcry on these boards if EA took time away from handling credit cards being improperly charged or some other major billing or account issues to verify if some guy is 13 or not because he decided to be a moron and follow some YouTube meme instead of acting like an adult. The shit storm around here would be worse than usual.

Just like any other business, EA says outright that they reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. They can terminate your account at their discretion if they think you broke the rules. Simple as that. 

So because they have a lot of work just like all mmo's they have a right to be lazy? It's not a lengthy verification system its 2 secs to look at his profile age.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

So just to be clear, if the guy is older than 13, he didn't violate the TOS at all in any way. Sure, Bioware can permaban his ass for any or no reason...I wouldn't dispute that. I still would just like to hear the defenders state clearly that if he is older than 13 that he didn't violate the TOS. That it is possible that he is older than 13 and didn't violate the TOS but permabanned anyway. Don't see why it's so hard for any of you to state that accurate factual statement.

• insanejoshinsanejosh Member Posts: 26

So because they have a lot of work just like all mmo's they have a right to be lazy? It's not a lengthy verification system its 2 secs to look at his profile age.

I can go make a profile that says I'm 90 yrs old. Does that mean I am 90? No.

Originally posted by insanejosh

Lol your right and when you use a credit card trew a bank that uses authorization and it says your age is 90 you will get declined faster then a middle eastern man getting a green card from iran

Originally posted by Sepulcher

AS has been stated, he didn't violate the TOS.  Is there a clause that says you can not say you are under 13 on the forums?  

There's a clause that says this:

EA reserves the right (but has no obligation except as required by law) to remove, block, edit, move or disable UGC for any reason, including  when EA determines that UGC violates these terms.  The decision to remove UGC or other Content at any time is in EA's sole and final discretion.  To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, EA does not assume any responsibility or liability for UGC or for removal of, UGC or any failure to or delay in removing, UGC or other Content.  

You are solely responsible for your UGC and may be held liable for UGC that you post.  

"UGC" in this case means User Generated Content. That includes forum posts. If they think you posted something that violated their TOS, they have the right to ban you. And they tell you in their Rules of Conduct that "role-playing" isn't an excuse.

It's all there in writing, and people agree to it every time they log into the game. It's not their fault if someone decides to be an idiot.  

He might be he might not be.  If one yells fire in a movie theater one does not have to actually have fire to be guilty.  Causing a disturbance and saying they are 13 is enough to EA.  They do not have to verify or anything.  If they want him gone he is gone.  The fact is that he said he is 13....that is a factual statement.

So just to be clear, if the guy is older than 13, he didn't violate the TOS at all in any way. 

If they think that he violated their Rules of Conduct or made the environment hostile or whatever, they can ban him, no matter how old he is. It's all there in the TOS. 

I've worked at a game studio. I've gotten to know CSR folks before. I still have friends who work for several developers (and no, none of them are at Bioware). They're not going to ban someone without a good reason. It might seem draconian or unreasonable when a post like this thread goes up, but as far as the developer is concerned, it's a cut and dried decision. Violate the rules as far as the company is concerned, and you're gone.

Originally posted by insanejosh

Lol your right and when you use a credit card trew a bank that uses authorization and it says your age is 90 you will get declined faster then a middle eastern man getting a green card from iran

Credit card authorizations do not use age as a factor.  They use billing address and information directly printed on the card.  Only if your account is being monitored are additional factors used.

This discussion has been closed.