Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perma-banned for using a meme

Comments

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by KyutaSyuko

He was banned for Violating the ToS by "admitting" he's under the age of 13 as you can see in the PM the video shows you.  There is no way for BioWare to verify age so yeah if you go on their forums and claim you're under the age of 13 and the ToS clearly state that anyone under the age of 13 can not play the game then yeah you're going to get banned.  I personally don't see any issue here and think the guy is a dumb ass for saying they're 12 and then mad because they got banned.

Basically, at this point Bioware has to do nothing -- their evidence is the statement he made, whether admission or meme.  If the OP wants to play again, buy another copy of the game....

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by CristianCeo

That's EPIC Fail from Biowarez :D

More like EPIC PEBKAC!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288

Originally posted by Jetrpg

We should all post on the forums hey bioware CS, i payed for next month.

Hopefully, if the standard for creditability for bioware is a forum post we will all be credited with a free month of gameplay.

I mean otherwise, there is no realy stadard for banning him. Or do you want it both ways. I mean they have his account and billion info, but forum post supersede these i guess.

Only difference is they can check their records to see if we paid or not while they have nothing to check a person's age against.

• VorgoVorgo Member Posts: 6

Instead of a perma-ban, this should have only have been a 1 year ban... After all, he'd be legitimately 13 after a year.

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

Hey look, another person trolling SWTOR got himself banned on purpose.  Will /v/ ever get bored of this.

It wasn't hard to find this users name and search through his posting history.   Two things became apparent on doing so.  The first being he no longer wanted to play SWTOR/disliked it.  The second was that he is a '4ch'er. (I'd use different words here but I'm certain they'd get me introuble)

Anyone knowing the importance of my last point knows exactly what I'm talking about and why it's so meaningful.

At any rate, thanks for the lulz.  As I see it, SWTOR banned you for trolling, they just don't know it.  XD  The double joke in this tickles me in a way that makes me smile and laugh.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Lol, I'm sure he could appeal and get the ban overturned quite easily :)

The context is not very clear, would have been good to see exactly what he really posted. Every story has 2 sides...

he responded to another post with a meme of the same value as "arrow to the knee", so bw's reaction is as realistic as if they've called an ambulance and sent it out to someone who posted "i used to play swtor, but then i took an arrow to the knee..."

for reference to some who didn't get the meme: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I%27m%2012%20years%20old%20and%20what%20is%20this%3F

12. we've all been there.

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288

Originally posted by headphones

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Lol, I'm sure he could appeal and get the ban overturned quite easily :)

The context is not very clear, would have been good to see exactly what he really posted. Every story has 2 sides...

he responded to another post with a meme of the same value as "arrow to the knee", so bw's reaction is as realistic as if they've called an ambulance and sent it out to someone who posted "i used to play swtor, but then i took an arrow to the knee..."

for reference to some who didn't get the meme: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I%27m%2012%20years%20old%20and%20what%20is%20this%3F

12. we've all been there.

With the exception that BW isn't responsable for someone shooting themselves in the knee with a bow and arrow, but they are responsable for an underage child playing their game.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Deivos

That being said. They are only a section of Bioware and do not represent the company as a whole. The facility itself was setup for the development and operation of the game with people that are new to MMOs and backed by a publisher that proves it's strategies less than stellar...well...most of the time.

Stop mindlessly bashing an antire company and people won't bash your misinformed opinion?

You seriously dont believe this do you? I do believe you are the misinformed one.  Thats like me saying while I'm at work I am only in a paticular department and I do not represent the company as a whole. What utter bullshit. YOU DAMN WELL DO REPRESENT THE COMPANY AS A WHOLE. To say otherwise is simply misinformed.

Its the same reason why social media such as facebook and twitter are checked by companies now when they are looking to hire someone. If they dont like what they see they wont hire you. Why? Because every single employee as an individual represents the company. You may not like it or agree with it but it is a fact regardless.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by xenogias

That being said. They are only a section of Bioware and do not represent the company as a whole. The facility itself was setup for the development and operation of the game with people that are new to MMOs and backed by a publisher that proves it's strategies less than stellar...well...most of the time.

Stop mindlessly bashing an antire company and people won't bash your misinformed opinion?

You seriously dont believe this do you? I do believe you are the misinformed one.  Thats like me saying while I'm at work I am only in a paticular department and I do not represent the company as a whole. What utter bullshit. YOU DAMN WELL DO REPRESENT THE COMPANY AS A WHOLE. To say otherwise is simply misinformed.

Its the same reason why social media such as facebook and twitter are checked by companies now when they are looking to hire someone. If they dont like what they see they wont hire you. Why? Because every single employee as an individual represents the company. You may not like it or agree with it but it is a fact regardless.

Whle its true that people say that, only the ignorant actually believe it.  If I get bad service one time at an Outback Im not going to sit there and say 'Im never going to an outback again because I had shitty servce one time'.  

And you really cant expect Bioware to school its employees on outdated memes, can you?  The employee did nothing wrong.  People are freaking over a perma ban, but its not like they wont lift it if he proves his age.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

This is absurd.

People defending the mods is even more absurd.

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

Originally posted by Vorgo

Instead of a perma-ban, this should have only have been a 1 year ban... After all, he'd be legitimately 13 after a year.

LAWL.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Come on people... "i'm 12 and what is this" is used SO OFTEN.

Its a joke.  An internet meme that the OP has already mentioned.  Yes, MODS are not expected to know every internet meme out there, or any at all but...come on MODs, major fail... they should only be worried about the age of the person paying for the account.  Done.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Jason2444

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j144/jason2444/1327184211519.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-w2tOW0Xrk

Oh god i can't breath 

I do have to say that this was the dumbest ban i've seen yet. I also have to say has ANYONE at bioware 1: ever played an mmo, ever? 2: Ever used the interweb for anything other then googling code because even I knew that meme at my age and somehow they took him seriously, really bioware? Really?

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by xenogias

Whle its true that people say that, only the ignorant actually believe it.  If I get bad service one time at an Outback Im not going to sit there and say 'Im never going to an outback again because I had shitty servce one time'.  

And you really cant expect Bioware to school its employees on outdated memes, can you?  The employee did nothing wrong.  People are freaking over a perma ban, but its not like they wont lift it if he proves his age.

I'm not even commenting on the ban. I think the ban is alittle silly but I also know rules are rules. As to me being ignorant I think you need to look in the mirror. If you dont think companies actually check social media sites you really have no clue what goes on when hiring employees. Maybe not for your typical factory or office job. But it DOES happen. There are even positions that temporary services check things like that. How do I know? Because that was my job for a short period of time. Yup, thats right. I got PAID to go online, type in a persons name and then fill out a report on what I found. Again, this generally only happens for jobs where a person is in the public representing the the company.

As to the outback thing I'm with you. One bad experience will not keep me from going to outback again. However not everyone is like you and me. Just because WE would go back doesnt mean the other 20 people that waitress pissed off would go back. I'll use my parents as an example. They where treated horribly by someone at best buy a few years back. They have not and will never go back to Best Buy again. Just like there are people out there who will never buy another product that has EA attached to it in any way, even if they are just the publisher, simply because they backed SOPA.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

While quite funny, i think that posting a vid showying you have cheat engine installed and on your mostly used programs isn't smart :)

P.S. to people who dont know what cheat engine is, CE is a real time debugging, memory injection, and dissasembling tool aimed at manipulating / reversed engineering games... Most commonly used to creat "cheats" AKA trainers, but can also be used for various other purposes inlcuding cheating in online games.

He knows what firebug is, he knows how to use cheat engine, to fake that video wont be that hard heck configuring IE to work with a proxy like fiddler and creating a script that will load a modified page isn't really hard...

BTW the only reason why i some what belive it, it's because it's the stupidest thing i've seen since a jpg name on CNN of  JW boosh a couple years ago was named baboon.jpg....

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

What do you expect from BW/EA? They support SOPA :P

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

I went to police station and said "I used to be a serial killer, but then I took an arrow to the knee" yet they arrested me!! WTF is up with that!!!

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

Originally posted by Eliandal

ToS is ToS.

If a person under 13 is not allowed to have an account - what exactly are they supposed to do.  There are legal requirements in the US that must be met.

Nothing to see here. A troll got his just desserts.

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

I think everyone should just post on the SWTOR forums, "I'm 14 and what is this." The new internet meme has been created thanks to Bioware CS.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

I can't stop laughing at all the obvious biodrones who are hopping into this thread to defend this like its a proper, valid ban.

I mean honestly, there are so many ways he could have verified his age, the fact is that Bioware's hubris has become ungodly ridiculous and this was an example of it.

On a side comparison, lets be honest, this is an exact example of the type of behaviour that people are worried about with the government, normally referred to as "big brother".  They basically had a computer somewhere scanning posts, saw that it said "i'm a 12 year old" and then insta banned him without having it actually read by a person who could see that it was an obvious use of a well known meme.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Originally posted by namelessbob

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j144/jason2444/1327184211519.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-w2tOW0Xrk

Oh god i can't breath 

Meme or not you said you were 12. Honestly your fault all the way. Embrace the epic fail bestowed upon yourself and move on.

Trust me, i don't care

The game is already sinking, might as well speed up the process by banning people for EVERYTHING POSSIBLE

If you didn't care you wouldn't be posting this same, exact thread on any and every gaming forum on the blessed internet...

You trolled, you got banned (I am sure that you already had strikes on your account if your posting history is any indication).

You represented that you were under the listed age to be able to use this product under the EULA/TOS, you were banned.

Either way they were well within their rights to enforce their TOS...

I have no pity for you and no Bioware/EA did nothing wrong here.

Learn your life lesson and move on.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Why should they waste their time checking his age?  The other night at a bar during a football game the owner had told people it was setup for fans of one team.  He did not want other people there wearing other team gear because he was being sponsored.  Someone came in wear a different team...thought it was all funny and even had another shirt to wear.  Owner kicked him out and tresspassed him from the property.  Private groups do not have to verify or try to understand your joke.  They set rules and if there are enough people that "Mr. Funny" will not be missed then kick him.  His anger and venom will be a memory in a few day and eveyone that wants to try the game or is playing the game will continue on.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by Jetrpg

We should all post on the forums hey bioware CS, i payed for next month.

Hopefully, if the standard for creditability for bioware is a forum post we will all be credited with a free month of gameplay.

I mean otherwise, there is no realy stadard for banning him. Or do you want it both ways. I mean they have his account and billion info, but forum post supersede these i guess.

How many people bought this game again? If some dumbass wants to play at some "ZOMG IM 12 herp derp" meme when a game company's first instinct in that case is to ban first and ask questions later, they deserve the ban. Bioware doesn't have any guarantee that any verification or ID would be legit, so in order to comply with the law, they're not going to go through a lengthy appeals process.  If you give any indication that you're underage, bye bye. 

It's why companies like KingsIsle (the makers of Wizard 101) are draconian on their TOS and in their parental controls. The law is the law and they try to keep a safe environment for their customers. 

In this case, there are far more SWTOR customers than there are Bioware CSR people. And they've got enough to handle now with billing and other bigger issues. Some loser joking that he's 12 and being surprised that he earned a perma-ban for it is no big loss in comparison. CSR should be focused on handling billing and legitimate customer service problems, not some dumbass following a ridiculous meme.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

The real crime here is that 12 year olds were their target audience :/

"Here watch this movie now...okay now press this button (don't worry, it doesn't matter which one you press)...just follow the instructions and don't let go of the rails..."

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

exactly the whole reason older gamers are bashing this game so hard is because it was designed for chidren, then they say hey your a child BAN??? 

Anywayz it is in the terms of service that this game is for 13+ even if the graphics are for players aged 8-14, but hey there is no problem here is there i mean its not like they made flavored cigerettes and was like ohh well there not for children.

You guys are bashing him for using a youtube joke and getting banned for it when he had to enter his real birthday and credit card to even play the game. They knew he wasn't 12 or they are retarded. 

btw Retarded is a mech term it means that one of the rods is not pushing the valves in correct timing so no im not being discriminatory to dumb people just dumb mods.

/thread end

This discussion has been closed.