Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think Blizzard just handed it to StarWars TOR on a plate .

Comments

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Star Wars the Old Republic

Metacritic anonymous user score: 5.9/10

Sound bad out of context eh... ?

World of Warcraft Cataclysm:

Metacritic anonymous user score: 5.2/10

Wait is that the most overhyped and overpraised game on the market with a worse rating than 2nd, 3rd and 4th place on the MMORPG market?

Yet both together happen to be with large margin the two most popular games on the market at this moment.

Metacritic user rating have been horrible since ever. Even their "critic scores" are disputeable with lots of black sheep like paid reviews directly or indirectly trough ad space purchases or "presents" for bootlicking reviewer like exclusive interviews, info or invites to conventions or closed betas or websites pending biasedly towards populars games playerbase by offering the "deserved" high/higher ratings to their favorite game.

so a whole brand new game is barely doing better then an x-pac, pretty sad ..

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• MagterMagter Member Posts: 289

Originally posted by Azaria

The fanatics are currently in the TOR forums trying to convice people that being put on a payment plan to even play your free first month is normal. I dont remeber having to do that since maybe the early early days. 

That's been true with most MMOs I've played, only Free2Play MMO's don't have that.

Purpose in life is not to gain things, but experience. - Rover64dd

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by Magter

The fanatics are currently in the TOR forums trying to convice people that being put on a payment plan to even play your free first month is normal. I dont remeber having to do that since maybe the early early days. 

That's been true with most MMOs I've played, only Free2Play MMO's don't have that.

Thats been my experience as well but yet I read where its not so time and again. Maybe its different across the pond?

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by Razeron

They had about 240k~ online lastnight.

Not very good for 48h out of the gates. (52-53 servers at about 4.5k a pop)

Maybe to nit pick but at the time of your writing they had more than 200 servers (still the same afaik). And very few were low pop.

So I have no clue where you got the roughly 50 number from...?

(to clarify my allegience - WoW is the MMO I have played the most of any computer game and I have gamed for the last 30 years - however I am now bored by WoW for several reasons)
  • ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG
    This is just the first round.  If I remember correctly the Deathwing grand-finale raids for Cata start December.  The die-hard raiders won't budge if that happens.  However, overall I agree.  I was expecting something far more serious from WoW than one race and a couple zones, especially pandas.

It started and it ended, the hardcore raiders i know are now unsubbing and trying other stuff, mostly TOR.

Blizzard is still stuck in the mindset of it's other games. Competitive gaming is in their blood since Warcraft 2, but it just doesn't work in an MMO like WoW, especially if you also want to make it accessible to casual players. They skimp on customization features and other tools for individual expression and immersion like housing because they think "it doesn't fit" - They don't care about lore continuity because gameplay comes at #1, gameplay that has to remain accessible.

This muddled the core design of the game over the years and is now finally beginning to show the cracks.

A game like TOR just knows what it tries to be right from the getgo, though Bioware isn't a competitive game developer to begin with. They actually got the RPG in MMORPG, though i admit the MMO part falls a little short. Still, the game feels far more cohesive now than woW ever did.

Blizzard originally won people over with it's simple game design where casual players could get into MMO's, but they failed to understand the concept properly and rather than didn't, refused to build on it.

MoP will be a product from the content factory, not an expansion that actually tries to expand the game, if you know what i mean.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

Originally posted by NasherUK

[...] they are desparate to hang on to subscriptions for the kung-fu panda expansion and until their next game.

$15 a month.. hmmm. no thanks.

lololololololol

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

Originally posted by NasherUK

There is no doubt that Blizzard have screwed up, you only have to look at the amount of subscriptions they have lost per quarter (currently around 900k for this quarter).  If wow was released today it would be a massive fail because it would not hold on to it's player base.

Blizzard were counting on people staying with wow and then moving to their new MMO when that is released.  But Bioware has thrown a spanner in the works, TOR is a very good game and Blizzard assumed it wouldn't be because past competition wasn't.  Now Blizzard are panicing, which is why they are offering stuff like Diablo 3 for "free" with a year subscription, they are desparate to hang on to subscriptions for the kung-fu panda expansion and until their next game.

OK but WoW wasn't released today it was released in 2004 so it's a silly argument really. They're hoping giving people incentive to stay will keep the playerbase up. Really not a novel or bad idea in business. Often businesses give incentives to keep customers.

• LordEricLordEric Member UncommonPosts: 28

Honestly,

Screw how long the game has been out. Screw all the non-sensical facts and those who haven't played both games.

Lets get right down to business.

What is the key difference between SWTOR and WoW? Well, one could say everything. While everything in WoW has a focus on swords, shields, and magic... SWTOR brings about the force and lightsabers. It's a futuristic game that will appeal to those who truely enjoy that style.

However, MMO's in many mindsets are that of the past. Games that involve swords and quests and battles against epic monsters.

Personally, I just can't find myself playing SWTOR. I personally enjoy raiding and game content and I lack that vision with SWTOR. With star-wards... to stay true to the fanboys... it's hard to escape the scope... to have fresher ideas and expand... while with games like WoW... it can only keep evolving... we joke about kung-fu panda but lets be honest, Blizzard has flashed pandas in the past... They are staying with what they have...

But I'm also not going to say don't play TOR; by all means if you love star-wars or futuristic styled games.... then it very well may be the game for you...

And to all those who are arguing that 10's and 0's and WHO ACTUALLY CARES... reviews and numbers are great... but just because someone gives a 10 to jumping off a bridge or a 0 to eating for 2 weeks doesn't mean you should make that your decision. If you have the money give it a shot. If you don't, find a friend that has it and use him (duh). Make a character and ask to play for 30 minutes (or kick him out of his own  house and play all night).

All for nothing its playstyle and expectations... WoW had a focus and set out to accomplish that. They didn't give in to all demands, but they do what allows the world to progress. Many don't like Cataclysm, but lets be honest the content was refreshing and fun. Personally, the questing in Uldum for me was most likely my favorite experience in WoW. It' had a touch of excitement that pressed you forward.

All in all, screw ratings and the little war that is going on between the two games. Take the time to decide for yourself. Don't stop eating because someone rated it a 0 or jump off a bridge because it got a 10... The numbers in the middle also are biased. Without a scale that breaks down every physical element, it will never be accurate or unbiased.

{mod edit}

Do your research, stay away from user-reviews, watch videos of gameplay, find friends that have either game, and find out first hand if its the game you want to play.

Best of luck and peace in the butt crease.

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

It's already starting to fade out of sight, after a week its user base is right there with EvE online so far a 50% drop since the holidays.  Unless they release some groundbreaking expansion or content patch in say, two weeks time, TOR is well on its way to a 300k player base or going FTP.

• EnoshEnosh Member Posts: 140

It's already starting to fade out of sight, after a week its user base is right there with EvE online so far a 50% drop since the holidays.  Unless they release some groundbreaking expansion or content patch in say, two weeks time, TOR is well on its way to a 300k player base or going FTP.

I'm sorry but

what the fuck are you talking about?

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

LOL

• FearmeirlFearmeirl Member UncommonPosts: 231

Pretty much. TOR flopped HARD and personally I feel bad for anyone who wasted their money.

• Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by LordEric

What is the key difference between SWTOR and WoW? Well, one could say everything. While everything in WoW has a focus on swords, shields, and magic... SWTOR brings about the force and lightsabers. It's a futuristic game that will appeal to those who truely enjoy that style.

LOLOL

implying that lightsabers and "the force" is not the same thing as swords and magic!

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Even if you were right, it's is more likely something like this would be due to people no longer having TIME OFF for the holidays than anything else.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Originally posted by Fearmeirl

Pretty much. TOR flopped HARD and personally I feel bad for anyone who wasted their money.

Yet still the servers are full so theres plenty of people that must enjoy playing . This far into the first month if people hated it they would have rage quit .

And flopped ? Its the fastest selling mmo of all time . Hows that a flop .

Of course month two will be when it really tells but thus far apart from a little trolling in these forums nothing actually suggests it will be a flop .

So its a bit of a stupid comment to make because you have made it way too soon for it to be backed up with any kind of fact .

I would like to see where you got these numbers perhaps you would like to post a link because if you cant it makes you look a bit of an idiot doesn't it ?

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

Yet still the servers are full so theres plenty of people that must enjoy playing . This far into the first month if people hated it they would have rage quit .

Of course month two will be when it really tells but thus far apart from a little trolling in these forums nothing actually suggests it will be a flop .

So its a bit of a stupid comment to make because you have made it way too soon for it to be backed up with any kind of fact .

It flopped because he didn't buy it, and he's the only person that matters.

• sartoksartok Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by sirphobos

It flopped because he didn't buy it, and he's the only person that matters.

Lulz

• melton80melton80 Member Posts: 54

You know how many times i have seen this exact same title for a post, too many and they have all been wrong, the reason WoW is so popular is cause it is easy so their playerbase is like 5-80 year olds and the graphic requirement to play WoW isn't big, i got a 7 year old nephew that plays WoW end-game with a couple of his friends and he plays on a 6 year old computer with no lag or problems. I raided end-game WoW for years and with the right add-ons and 2 macros i could watch TV and raid at the same time and still be top 3 dps. I have played SWTOR and other then being an awesome theme for a game, it is nothing new, so i doubt it will be anything special except to Star Wars fanboys.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I would like to see where you got these numbers perhaps you would like to post a link because if you cant it makes you look a bit of an idiot doesn't it ?

A lot of the wow players locked in for a year sub in order to get D3 for free.  It does not matter if they stopped playing wow in order to play another game.   The sub is still running and wow will still be there when they get bored of tor.  In short Blizz has all the time in the world to bring the players back into the fold.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• KingPinoyKingPinoy Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Teh_Axi

Most people playing it seem to love it so if thats the case then they wont be going anywhere soon . 

No they dont, a large portion of people think its medicore or worse. Man even people I know that thought it was ok aren't going to bother getting it. The sub drop off at the beginning of next year is going to be huge.

TOR will be lucky to retain over a million players at this point.

A large portion of people said that about WoW and continue to do so . It doesn't stop people playing it . Also people said exactly the same thing about WoW seven years ago as your saying about TOR now . If you don't believe me I suggest you look at the oldest threads in these forums and you will see the same exact comments your making now were made back then . Hard to say what it will have in 12 months from now because a lot depends on the patches and updates Bioware put into it .

You have to bare in mind Amazon had to issue a statement about ToR and when they would be sending out the game because order numbers have been so high ( think this is the first time in its history its had to do that ) . Ques at shops for this game apparently are massive today so much so its actually been made a news item on the bbc news in the UK and has made the national press .( maybe its a slow news day lol )

I'll stick my neck out and say if the endgame is there 2-5 million players will leave WoW for ToR in the first six months and even though some of them will return to WoW for MoP it will not be enough to return WoW to anything like the numbers it has seen in the past . I also agree that WoW will continue on top of this to hemorage subs on a monthly basis .

After reading this it reminded me of the wii, when it came out no one had it, stores were out of stock, worth loads of money on sites you can sel sht on, but now compared to everything else, it sucks dck. Not taking sides just had to bring this up.

When I started this thread ( in the StarWars TOR forums later moved by a mod to the WoW forums ) StarWars seemed a game with a lot of potential . I've left it a month before commenting on its content as to give it a fair try .

In my original post I said "if its polished and fun" . Well not exactly polished but its better than most mmos at launch and apart from the rpg aspects its very generic . The game world feels very static  . The two opposing factions don't meet in the open world early on enough .so pvp even on a pvp server is pretty much non existant .  Questing is as easy if not easier than WoW because of the companions .

And the one thing that could have made ToR stand out the space combat is nothing more than an arcade style game which would have looked dated in the early 1990s . So bad its a joke .

Bioware had thier chance and failed to deliver  . I still think Pandas will not do a lot for Blizzards subs in the coming year but they have nothing to fear from ToR . How a company can spend 80+ million and miss the point totally suggests unbelievable  arrogance by the developers at Bioware think they could rest on thier laurels because of the StarWars franchise .

In short I think Bioware made a mmo with many of the faults of Warcraft without any of its charm and totally messed up the one thing that could have made a StarsWars mmo truely fun and interesting a mixture of generic mmo gameplay, mixed with what Bioware does best storytelling  and space combat .

I don't expect to see another Bioware mmo anytime soon after this debacle . They will need to focus on what they do well . Single player rpgs to recoupe thier loses .

Quite frankly thank god for Rift . The only mmo with truely customisable classes . Interesting pvp and a modicum of challenge in it .

lets hope Guild Wars 2 delivers because theres very little left on the horizon mmo wise that has a lot of potential . Secret World sounds interesting but its funcon and after AoC I have very little faith in that company and Tera is korean and most likly will be a grinder .

The mmo genre has truely got itself into a hole and its going to take a while before it gets out of it .

• DarthAttikusDarthAttikus Member Posts: 6

Wow is on such a declice it's NOT even funny anymore! Blizzard is trying to force players to come back to play by threating them with guild rights. I have contacted blizzard on the issue and they basically told me that I am S.O.L and transferred my GM position to some low level character that logs on once in a great while! They said since that person logs on once in a while Blizzard had to think about the guild progression and this is what one of the reps wrote to me "Thank you for contacting us 'name".

I do appologize for any confusion, and I will try to clarify the situation further for you.

When a guild leader remains absent for an extended period of time, it can be difficult for the remaining members to proceed normally with guild activities. With the growth and prosperity of the guild in mind, patch 4.3 introduced a new feature in which active members of a guild are able to request promotion when their guild leader has become inactive. As your character has gone more than 30 days without logging into World of Warcraft, it is considered inactive.

When this happens, the game will automatically notify members of the highest rank who have been online within the past week. If none have been online, then the next highest rank will be notified, and so on. In this way, guild leadership will be transferred to the highest-ranked active member of the guild.

The goal of this is simply to allow guilds lacking a present leader to resolve the situation without needing to contact our In-Game Support department. We hope you understand that this change was made in response to player concerns, and is intended to assure the prosperity of the guild.

More information on this change is available at http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/guild-dethrone-faq.

Thank you for contacting us. We hope you continue to enjoy your experiences in World of Warcraft.

Game Master Ikarimekki

Customer Services

Blizzard Entertainment

www.blizzard.com/support

"Building Mechanical Squirrel Armies, One Cog at a Time"

So basically they are forcing people to come back to get your stuff otherwise it's gone to another player!

I used their 7 day come back thing to see what was going on, and it was hard to even get a group going for heroics. It's the same old routine the things that you need really doesn't drop until you are on a different toon, no matter how may times a day you set yourself to do random specific cata dungeons still no stupid drops for you. As far as the "Wow killer" goes Swtor is going to put wow out of its misery because the game play and the hype is just like when wow was first released and to be honest I rather play Swtor now then wow and I have played wow since its release. BTW I have an extra copy of wow cata collector's edition if anyone is interested in buying! send me a private message.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

There really isn't much blizzard can do, they are just trying to hold on to as many customers as possible. I've had a lot of people pre-ordering the game most of them don't want to move on. And they are all hyped up for the expansion.

Why move to SWToR when WoW has everything SWToR has and more? The only difference is story and companions and ofc a change of scenery.

• DarthAttikusDarthAttikus Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Sideras

There really isn't much blizzard can do, they are just trying to hold on to as many customers as possible. I've had a lot of people pre-ordering the game most of them don't want to move on. And they are all hyped up for the expansion.

Why move to SWToR when WoW has everything SWToR has and more? The only difference is story and companions and ofc a change of scenery.

Are you kidding me? The only thing wow has established  are maps. However, nobody wants to play the old content any more thus in order for Blizzard to keep their subscribers entertained is by trying to create new expansions and force players to play! Hence, why the tougher rules now, which by the way they also took out scroll of resurrection! So, basically if you want to play you have to subscribe from now on! I am telling you Blizzard is hurting more than they show! At this rate they are not going to be able to keep player no matter how many "legendary" items they are willing to give. Moreover, with Swtor you have your mounts, your companions that do stuff for you, and your own starship!!!! With wow all you have is bunch of mounts and little companions that do squat! So, overall this is one battle Blizzard is going to lose no matter what. Players like myself are tired of playing with the same mechanics, and routine story line. Wow is just old and it’s on its last breath just like “Everquest” was. I just hope that it’ll be soon and painless. Not to mention Swtor is a new game so their expansions will be anticipated rather than frowned upon like world of warcrafts in my opinion. Not to mention I don't see anyone complaining about drop rate in Swtor.