Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Senior Producer Exits Blizzard

Comments

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

Everyone will buy D3 because fo the former Diablo glory, but few will play it for more than a couple of months. Yuo can't win the modern market with the clone of an old game.

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by NameWasTaken

Originally posted by salenger

By the time D3 is released no one will care

True, the game is pretty much done, programmers come and go, who gives a rats arse who Steve Parker was anyway. Just hire some indian import for half the money, pretty much just as good.

too funny.... it's truly grtting to be like that anymore.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Game is almost out. He probably had another opportunity somewhere, and both sides saw it wouldn't hurt development if he left at this late stage.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

You have to admit it does sound odd for someone to leave ones position before the project is done. I'm assuming he's spent the good chunk of the last couple years focuses on D3, only to leave before it's release.

And honestly.. your the Senior Producer for D3, where are you going to find greener pastures?

To me, clearly something hit the fan and they just parted ways.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I don't even know what a producer would do in a video game.  In movies they provide money.  Blizz doesn't need financial backers, so what was his role?  He wasn't lead designer I assume.  Maybe it was more of a managerial role.  Guess if I knew what he actually did it would mean more to me.

TL2 trolls should really stay away, no one wants to hear your crap about how D3 won't be as good as TL2.  Where is that game btw? 

• Tyvolus3Tyvolus3 Member Posts: 67

For a guy who started playing Blizz games in 1995, I could care less about D3, wow, Titan or whatever other garbage Blizz wants to put out.  Blizz to me, is dead and buried, and has been for years now.

Originally posted by eyelolled

Blizzard doesn't have it in them to produce a good quality game anymore. I'm glad I was able to enjoy Diablo II, and I'll let it end there.

sums is all up quite nicely, IMO.

Originally posted by Deeter

Wow he must have gotten a job offer at Valve because why on earth would you willingly quit a job at BLIZZARD of all places.

huh ?  Blizz has been losing its top tier talent for YEARS now.  this is just more of the same for them.  its why SC2 was such crap and why wow is nothing like what WARCRAFT originally was and should be.

Originally posted by DaddyDark

Everyone will buy D3 because fo the former Diablo glory, but few will play it for more than a couple of months. Yuo can't win the modern market with the clone of an old game.

everyone will most certainly NOT be playing D3. 

• AdvancedTechAdvancedTech Member UncommonPosts: 165

Originally posted by Tyvolus3

Originally posted by Deeter

Wow he must have gotten a job offer at Valve because why on earth would you willingly quit a job at BLIZZARD of all places.

huh ?  Blizz has been losing its top tier talent for YEARS now.  this is just more of the same for them.  its why SC2 was such crap and why wow is nothing like what WARCRAFT originally was and should be.

Such a dumb statement.

• TyrokiTyroki Member UncommonPosts: 183

Not to be a troll by saying this, but I honestly think if they don't release before Torchlight 2, they will likely lose a sizeable portion of their fanbase.

Now please keep in mind that I've been waiting a long time for Diablo 3, the same as many of you. I was really stoked, but lately, it just seems like Blizzard keep going in the wrong direction. I myself was rather worried about that recent list of changes. From what I heard, things were rather good as they were.

I should, however, say why I think they will be in trouble if they don't release before Torchlight 2.

The main reason I say this is... it won't be getting in the way of having a good time, and especially won't be getting in the way of community creativity, one of the reasons why Diablo 2 (and games like it) survived so long. They are supporting their future mod community from creation. The thing Blizzard seems to have forgotten is... the community created content often gives a game massive replayability, which gives it longevity. With Diablo 2, many played Median or Eastern Sun.

Titan Quest is a good example of what a games community can achieve and the replayability that stems from that. Vanilla, it was an ooookaaaay game (in my opinion, yours may differ). However, even after the company that made it died off, the community kept it going. They were the ones to patch it, they were the ones to keep it going with new campaigns, classes, etc. One thing to note here is that TQ wasn't exactly there for the mod community.

Another example is the original Neverwinter Nights. This game, unlike Titan Quest, had the incredible ability to be modded pretty much from the core. The developers created the ability to mod it like crazy, and the community took to it like absolute mad men and geniuses. Massive community patches with insane amounts of new content (textures, character/creatures models, scripts, etc)

Now look at what will be happening to Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2. Blizzard said "We won't be supporting the mod community."

Runic Games said "We will be :D"

So after everyone is done with the content of Diablo 3, then what?

As a final note, yes, I understand that both games can be bought (I will most likely be doing that myself, hoping like crazy that Diablo 3 doesn't end up as I think it probably will.) I just think that Torchlight 2 will be better. Believe me, I didn't at first, but over the past few months... Blizzard haven't exactly made me feel amazing about what they're doing to D3. For a long time they did but... now? I'm not so sure.

MMO's played: Ragnarok Online (For years), WoW (for a few weeks only), Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Eve, Allods, Shattered Galaxy, 9 Dragons, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Star Trek Online (Got someone ELSE to pay for it), Champions Online (Someone else paid), Dofus, Dragonica, LOTRO, DDO and more... A LOT more. I've played good AND bad. The bad didn't last long. :P

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Nothing about this game should make it take this long to develope.  Diablo is shallow.  D1 was shallow, D2 was shallow.  D3 is in the exact same vein.  Its an uncomplicated design that any company with the funding that Blizzard has, should be able to whip out in no time flat.

Something is wrong with it, plain and simple.

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

Nethack lite ftw.

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Doom.

Gloom.

Sky is falling.

Yawn.

People move on in every industry. Maybe from creative differences, maybe for monies, maybe from burnout. Doesn't matter.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

You hear that sound?

Thats the sound of Blizzard's coffin lid being closed slowly before burrial.

Anyway, If anyone had any doubts on how bad Diablocraft III will be this pretty much proves it :)

I'll wait for Torchlight II, aka the real Diablo franchise successor with actual diablo developers and music composer.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• warbot7777warbot7777 Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Eyelolled was correct in stating that Blizzard no longer has what it takes to produce a QUALITY product. They're letting money dictate "success" rather than the players themselves dictate what is a success. It is absolutely unacceptable what they're doing to Diablo 3.

-Adding in RMT's to ruin the general experience. We play games like Diablo 3 to GET AWAY from RL stuff like money!!!!

-Bleeding concepts from WoW HEAVILY into Diablo 3, like that demon-hunter chick, as well as the "kiddy" art style is unacceptable. Go compare Diablo 1, Diablo 2, and now Diablo 3's artstyle. You'll notice how hardcore Diablo 1 was, and how moderately dark Diablo 2 was, and now Diablo 3's artstyle just looks like it's HelloKitty Online [Demon Edition]. Seriously, WTF happened here?!

I agree with this guy 100%. Torchlight 2 is looking better and better.

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

Srsly all this wow haters get off blizzards n***. Yeah we get it you dont like WoW neither do i like it but stop giving bad critics to SC 2 and now coming D3. Tell me which other rts game has such a huge mp community and is still played. None right because there wasnt a single decent mp rts since Wc3 and dont come with dawn of war 2 and other crap and to the dude saying wc2 was better then wc3 plz stay away for ever.

• Jonnas13Jonnas13 Member UncommonPosts: 93

Regardless of how good/bad D3 turns out to be it will get mauled on metacritic. Everything else is a maybe but that is the one true constant.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Ye i think they revamp the game for some unknown reason and the guy seam really pissed. They probably trashed his 5 years worth of work, over some difficult to spot reason. Maybe some concurrent are like knocking on the same door, and they got all fuzzy. The concurrent is my personal theory.

Also at this point even a revamp won't do anything at all imo, and is probably why the guy is so pissed. They kept the simplest core game. Diablo was just a simple rogue game with nice graphics, thats all, and its the same cup of tea now except a slightly better coop function. Honestly i don't think that can do well in 2012. I mean the game is nice for sure, but well, some games are really really good now, especially some console games. They should have gave it an whole other level instead of all this RMT mess, that is just giving them bad reputation and do them only arm. Not because RMT is bad, i don't like it, but i don't think it's bad per say. But because nothing is actually holding the game but this crap.  Obviously they made D3 revolve around that RMT mess, since well Diablo is like one of the most addicted, grind centered old title ever made. That's just a silly move from Blizz... Also they probably back up a bit of that work made around this, in case they have to pull this out.

So ye i'll rather wait for some real work done like NC is doing with their next mmo based on a Diablo like engine, that sound like some great work to me.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

I still have the cd's for Diablo1 and Diablo2 both games have Bots / Hacks / Exploits that all work on Blizzards Battlenett Realms. Blizzard does'nt give a crap about the Diablo Franchise otherwise they would have banned all these cheaters  and made it impossible for anyone to use 3rd party programs on the Realms.

I am not looking forward to Diablo3, i will buy it but i know that it will just gather dust for i just dont like what i see in Diablo3.

I don't believe Torchlight2 will be any better, i for one don't want to join Perfect Worlds servers just to to play peer to peer Torchlight2, remember this is not the tl mmo that they may do in the future.

I just hope that Diablo3 hardmode (one death and delete your charactor) will be as fun, death waiting in the shadows and around every corner on the edge of your seat gaming.

Although i doubt it will be, for once again the CareBear bunch of players will cry and have any hard monsters removed from the game (just like they did 2 years ago with Diablo2).

Games are way to easy now.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

The WOW vanilla development team is the one that pushed the Diablo creators out of the company and WOWified Diablo.  They have specific ideas of what does and doesn't work.  It's too bad that Blizzard had or chose to sell to Vivendi.  Too many cooks in the kitchen and a willingness to cut costs just to crank in the cash.

I'm sure D3 will be fun, but it won't have anywhere near the impact D2 did.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Serelisk

His leaving quote would suggest the seperation was on amicable terms.

More likely just doesn't believe in burning bridges behind him.  NDA precludes certain public statements for a couple of years after end of employment anyway.

Creative differences?  Boss is s jerk?  No Christmas bonus?  Who the hell knows (or cares)?

We're just inviting people to read their crystal balls again.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Originally posted by Tyroki

Not to be a troll by saying this, but I honestly think if they don't release before Torchlight 2, they will likely lose a sizeable portion of their fanbase.

Now please keep in mind that I've been waiting a long time for Diablo 3, the same as many of you. I was really stoked, but lately, it just seems like Blizzard keep going in the wrong direction. I myself was rather worried about that recent list of changes. From what I heard, things were rather good as they were.

I should, however, say why I think they will be in trouble if they don't release before Torchlight 2.

The main reason I say this is... it won't be getting in the way of having a good time, and especially won't be getting in the way of community creativity, one of the reasons why Diablo 2 (and games like it) survived so long. They are supporting their future mod community from creation. The thing Blizzard seems to have forgotten is... the community created content often gives a game massive replayability, which gives it longevity. With Diablo 2, many played Median or Eastern Sun.

Titan Quest is a good example of what a games community can achieve and the replayability that stems from that. Vanilla, it was an ooookaaaay game (in my opinion, yours may differ). However, even after the company that made it died off, the community kept it going. They were the ones to patch it, they were the ones to keep it going with new campaigns, classes, etc. One thing to note here is that TQ wasn't exactly there for the mod community.

Another example is the original Neverwinter Nights. This game, unlike Titan Quest, had the incredible ability to be modded pretty much from the core. The developers created the ability to mod it like crazy, and the community took to it like absolute mad men and geniuses. Massive community patches with insane amounts of new content (textures, character/creatures models, scripts, etc)

Now look at what will be happening to Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2. Blizzard said "We won't be supporting the mod community."

Runic Games said "We will be :D"

So after everyone is done with the content of Diablo 3, then what?

As a final note, yes, I understand that both games can be bought (I will most likely be doing that myself, hoping like crazy that Diablo 3 doesn't end up as I think it probably will.) I just think that Torchlight 2 will be better. Believe me, I didn't at first, but over the past few months... Blizzard haven't exactly made me feel amazing about what they're doing to D3. For a long time they did but... now? I'm not so sure.

Torchlight 2 won't be a factor on D3 sales.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Torchlight 2 won't be a factor on D3 sales.

Any proof or argument on that?

Quite a lot of community has went all "frackk d3, Ill get torchlight II instead" with each anouncement last year, including RMAH, DRM, new armor "designs" and etc.

Will it affect the sales in major way? Surely not. There are a lot of blizzard fanboys who buy everything actiblizzard makes. 

But saying thait WON"T affect the sales at all is ridiculous.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

"those guys are going to kill it with Diablo."

That quote can be taken 2 ways...