Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bioware/EA worst company ever

Comments

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Why people keep talking about Bioware like it's still it's own company is silly.

EA paid 700 MILLION DOLLARS for Bioware, they own it the name and run the show.

Just say EA is the worst company ever, Bioware as it's own company doesn't exist anymore, just the brand does.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Making an innovative and brilliant game is not based on luck, it just needs a talented dev team with vision and a understanding of their Market. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars to simply mash together lots of things that were popular 5 years ago is where luck and risk comes in.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by vesavius

Originally posted by Toxia

Well, to be frank, making any game is a risk, that much is true, but as far as that goes Bioware + Star Wars is probebly the safest bet out there. Or should be. It's taken something special to fumble the ball on this one.

If SOE proved anything, it is that even if its Star Wars, there is no such thing as a safe bet with MMOs.

As far as game design goes though, or the effort to make a 'different' game, I can't agree with you. I see no risk at all.

Making an MMO story driven in an age of A.D.D game players is a huge risk.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

I have been an avid supporter for SWTOR from the beginning, even before I played, I say I will sub for 6 months, but after just one month + 1 week of early access, I am truly frustrated to the bone with this game.

At first it was the journey to 50 which was great, the PVP was great because during the time that I pvp in the Warzones, there weren't that many 50's in champion gear and battlemaster gears so the gameplay was extremely competitive and fun.

Then once you reach 50 and begin experiencing the RNG champion bags, I keep telling myself I will get lucky in a few more bags, No problem, I will be geared before all my guildies reaches 50. Then reality sinks in, all the guildies that reaches 50 2 weeks after me, has only 1 piece to go before they have the whole set of champion gears. And I am valor rank 58 still missing my Helm, Chest, Legs, Belt, Main Hand, and is fully geared in Centurion ( do your own math on how many centurions commendations that is )

But I keep telling myself that its alright, I will reach rank 60 and start getting my Battlemaster gear first since they are all valor rank 30~40, and now with the Illum problem, Most of my Guildies is catching up, what took me days of PVPing, its now taking them hours.

All the efforts and excuses I have giving Bioware for SWTOR has now been destroyed by their own hands. I just really hope they know what they are doing, because this game has so much potential.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

It's one big mess at the moment.  It took me over a day to finally get a subscription going, as their site kept throwing errors at me.

My gf on the other hand, hasn't been able to get into the game for over two days!

This whole game becomes more and more of a total  joke really! As it's ironic that they want everyone to subscribe, but people aren't able to!

It's the kind of stuff that will chase people away from the game for good! Their Customer Support is absolutely horrible. Calling is totally pointless as you end up spending several months worth of subscription fee on international phone rates! /Facepalm

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

you guys are right not the worst ever, but the customer service sucks, their patches are extremely slow, their content is lacking, the game engine sucks, just dont understand where 200mil went

Trion should have made SWtor

• sylentnytesylentnyte Member UncommonPosts: 68

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by Befuzin

Worst company ever, no, that honor is reserved for SOE.

I second that. Compared to the issues I had with SOE and SWG this game is solid gold.

Man people sure have short memories. The worst companies ever vanished from public view. Anyone remember NewroSoft Research & Development and Quad Software? Or that little gem they put out called Mourning, Realms of Krel?  

Held such high hopes for mourning lol....i was one of the suckers that bought it.

But that game was just plain a scam at that point.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

EDITED to add that this is the reason we aren't getting new 'INNOVATIVE" Games. They take a risk, it doesn't pan out, and now they are the worst company ever. i wouldn't try and make different games for you asshats either.

What risk did EA take with SWTOR exactly?

Apart from their ludicrous over investment in a very pedestrian game?

They took the risk of making an MMO, knowing full well their strengths were in the single player realm.

Well, to be frank, making any game is a risk, that much is true, but as far as that goes Bioware + Star Wars is probebly the safest bet out there. Or should be. It's taken something special to fumble the ball on this one.

As far as game design goes though, or the effort to make a 'different' game, I can't agree with you. I see no risk at all.

You're right-Making ANY game is a risk. ANYTIME you put money down on ANYTHING you hope/plan to succeed is a risk. So what do they do? They make a game that is VERY MUCH like games already released and succesful.

Why?

Because that's the safest bet. Because if they do something totally their own/unique/innovative/different, and it isn't widely loved and praised, then they are called 'the worst company evar' by these dumbasses who can't see past their noses and discredit everything that company has ever done. Sure, call it the worst game the company has ever made, but throwing the whole company under the bus for it?

No.

EDITED to add- and Vesu, if there is no risk in making a different game, why didn't they do endgame in another flavor than say, raids or gear treadmills? Because it's a risk. a risk they didn't want to take. because the WOW fanclub would hound them about how much they suck because they didnt have these things.

I didn't say there was no risk in amking a different game... or at least I didn't mean to :/

I have to say though that any dev thats so crippled by fear of failiure that they no longer try new ideas out or take risks is pretty dead to me.

Do I think they are the worst ever? Nah, not at all, but they certainly have fallen from their exalted perch. It's a shame, but just being a credible brand name for EA to hide behind and sell on has destroyed the company I once so admired.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

EDITED to add that this is the reason we aren't getting new 'INNOVATIVE" Games. They take a risk, it doesn't pan out, and now they are the worst company ever. i wouldn't try and make different games for you asshats either.

What risk did EA take with SWTOR exactly?

Apart from their ludicrous over investment in a very pedestrian game?

They took the risk of making an MMO, knowing full well their strengths were in the single player realm.

You're right-Making ANY game is a risk. ANYTIME you put money down on ANYTHING you hope/plan to succeed is a risk. So what do they do? They make a game that is VERY MUCH like games already released and succesful.

Why?

Because that's the safest bet. Because if they do something totally their own/unique/innovative/different, and it isn't widely loved and praised, then they are called 'the worst company evar' by these dumbasses who can't see past their noses and discredit everything that company has ever done. Sure, call it the worst game the company has ever made, but throwing the whole company under the bus for it?

No.

EDITED to add- and Vesu, if there is no risk in making a different game, why didn't they do endgame in another flavor than say, raids or gear treadmills? Because it's a risk. a risk they didn't want to take. because the WOW fanclub would hound them about how much they suck because they didnt have these things.

I didn't say there was no risk in amking a different game... or at least I didn't mean to :/

I have to say though that any dev thats so crippled by fear of failiure that they no longer try new ideas out or take risks is pretty dead to me.

Do I think they are the worst ever? Nah, not at all, but they certainly have fallen from their exalted perch. It's a shame, but just being a credible brand name for EA to hide behind and sell on has destroyed the company I once so admired.

Agree all the way image

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

As long as they're still operating, soe will always wear the crown of Worst MMO Company.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by Ginaz

As long as they're still operating, soe will always wear the crown of Worst MMO Company.

they've made some of the best mmo's though..swg,eq2,planetside

and hopefully planetside 2 and everquest next

cant name another company that has that many good mmo's.

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by Myrdynn

Originally posted by Sector13

Worst company ever but people are still giving them money. Herp Derp.

if there was anything else to play, I would be playing it

so from this i get every other game thats out sucks.. so you play the best of the worst  and yet you still complain  about it being better (cause  there are tons of choices out there)  then others hence why your playing but you still want to bitch.

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by Ginaz

Thats a hard call, sure SOE has has rushed or shoddy releases or made bad judgement calls like deciding pvp in EQ2 was a bad idea. BUT look what EA did to Ultima Online, Mhthic Games and Bioware. At least SOE destroys their games in house, EA buys out a company makes their game horrible then destroys the company.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Originally posted by dronfwar

lol

http://www.lo-ping.org/2012/01/20/the-swtor-story-as-told-by-episode-iii-and-v/

This is brilliant and deserves a thread by itself.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Issue resolved. Everyone in the thread the OP linked is able to play now. 

And I doubt they quit because of it. Sounds like a problem with their authentication server or something. Hardly justifies calling them the worst company evaaarrrr.

Anyways, it's resolved now. You guys can move on to the next controversey. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by dubyahite

And I doubt they quit because of it. Sounds like a problem with their authentication server or something. Hardly justifies calling them the worst company evaaarrrr.

It isn't resolved! People still cannot login! And my gf still cannot subscribe to the game! She has been trying for over 2 days now.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by JeroKane

It isn't resolved! People still cannot login! And my gf still cannot subscribe to the game! She has been trying for over 2 days now.

What? You haven't convinced her that this game is terrible yet? 

Maybe I spoke too soon then, but that sounds like a different issue. The problem is people that HAVE subscribed that can't log in I thought. Being unable to subscribe sounds like something else altogether.  

Here, this is the op on the official forums that was linked " Hello I just renewed my subscription with a one month recurring. The payment went through and I still cannot log in. How long does it usually take the game to recognize there is time on my account?"

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by noncley

Originally posted by dronfwar

lol
    http://www.lo-ping.org/2012/01/20/the-swtor-story-as-told-by-episode-iii-and-v/

This is brilliant and deserves a thread by itself.

Lol. I don't agree with the viewpoint shown in it, but this is pretty damn funny indeed :)
  • HolaHolaHolaHola Member Posts: 68

For what EA did and still do to my beloved Ultima Online, i will always have a bit of hatred towards them.

Playing: League of Legends!

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by JeroKane

What? You haven't convinced her that this game is terrible yet? 

Maybe I spoke too soon then, but that sounds like a different issue. The problem is people that HAVE subscribed that can't log in I thought. Being unable to subscribe sounds like something else altogether.  

Here, this is the op on the official forums that was linked " Hello I just renewed my subscription with a one month recurring. The payment went through and I still cannot log in. How long does it usually take the game to recognize there is time on my account?"

took my wife ten minutes to figure that out. but then she got one of the coats in the game. that's given her a few days of amusement. she loves her fashion.

• Jonnas13Jonnas13 Member UncommonPosts: 93

Originally posted by Sector13

Herp Derp.

When I grow up I want to use other people's made up nonsensical bullsheet terms to look cool in front of socially inadequite, eternally virignial losers too.

• Originally posted by dubyahite

Those authentication servers. They will forever mark a comapny as the worst company ever for the 2-3 hours they are down for maintence. Then when they come back up people completely forget why they posted in the first place. Happens with every single game; sadly people do not learn.

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by Befuzin

Worst company ever, no, that honor is reserved for SOE.

I do not have the words to properly express how true that is for me.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• RaijukinRaijukin Member Posts: 63

EA is the worst company ever... if you go to battlefield play4free forums you will see EA for who they truly are.. They actually sold people items that where advertised as "Last Forever" and with specific capabilities and then took those items away after purchase and gave them different items that did not match what was advertised and is of lesser value...without even the option for a refund.. They even lied to the players on the forum saying they wouldn’t lose the weapons they bought and then after they removed the weapons they removed their post on the forums.

EA is currently being sued for something similar… EA promised PS3 players a free copy of battlefield 1943 with purchase of the new battlefield 3… and then when it was time to pay up they went back on the deal…

EA has become well known for being nothing but thieves and liars…

After the people who spent money on Battlefield Play4Free got ripped off they made signatures with pics of the devs and the words “thieves and liars” on it and everyone started to use it…Well they didn’t like that and are now going on a banning spree on anyone who uses the sig..

EA is by far the worst...