Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: $100 Million in Revenue in 2011

13»

Comments

• usagichan77usagichan77 Member Posts: 13

You shouldn't all worry that games dont earn money. RIFT cost them 100 millions, they made already about 500 for sure since the start. The same is with other games, if its not as succesful as WoW it doesn't mean it is not profitable.

It is very normal that RIFT has normal income.

Probably even FInal fantasy XIV has made it to be profitable, but not of course for future updates and everything.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Rift isnt my kind of game but I have huge respecr for Trion, they've worked for their cash offering fast updates and speedy customer support while they could of done like some other companies *cough* BIOWARE *cough* and just release their game and milk their cash pigs while answering CS calls and fixing bugs at their own leisure.

• BigCaliGuruBigCaliGuru Member UncommonPosts: 103

I wanted to give Rift another go when I build my new PC in about a month. Gaming on a crapy PC does any game a great Injustice. Hard to stay merged in the fantasy when your PC is craptastic...

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Originally posted by smh_alot

Really people, doesn't sound so strange at all. Didn't they report 1 million sales half a year back?

1mil * 50 dollar (euro even more) = 50 million dollars revenues already

Let's say that player retention in the first 3 months was at least 500k, that's 500k * 3 * $15 = 22.5 million dollars already.

Make some additional calculations, and you'll see how easy it is to reach 100 million dollars in revenues, which ofc isn't the same as 100 million dollars profit. All costs have to be subtracted first for that.

This.

My own assessment last year was c. 1M boxes/digital at $60 average (most were sold at launch so price was higher) = $60M

Then assuming an average sub of $10 (3 and 6 month plans etc.) then 650k in months 2-4; 450k in months 5-7 and 250k in months 8-10 would be just over $40M in revenue from subs.

As smh_alot says getting to $100M revenue is pretty easy especialy when you sell 1M boxes.

Rift has done OK imo and 250k, if it has 250k of course, would be good numbers and would allow Rift to recover the investment maybe early next year ....

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Originally posted by Karahandras

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Rift's subscription number is under 250,000. I wonder how they got so much "Revenue" last year?

Maybe they're counting that extra $85mil as part of it

LOL excellent point!

image.  

Certainly guess they have some form of additional revenue to rift and am definitely curious as to what it is(maybe something to do with the tv game tie in)

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by gervaise1

Originally posted by smh_alot

Really people, doesn't sound so strange at all. Didn't they report 1 million sales half a year back?

1mil * 50 dollar (euro even more) = 50 million dollars revenues already

Let's say that player retention in the first 3 months was at least 500k, that's 500k * 3 * $15 = 22.5 million dollars already.

Make some additional calculations, and you'll see how easy it is to reach 100 million dollars in revenues, which ofc isn't the same as 100 million dollars profit. All costs have to be subtracted first for that.

This.

My own assessment last year was c. 1M boxes/digital at $60 average (most were sold at launch so price was higher) = $60M

Then assuming an average sub of $10 (3 and 6 month plans etc.) then 650k in months 2-4; 450k in months 5-7 and 250k in months 8-10 would be just over $40M in revenue from subs.

As smh_alot says getting to $100M revenue is pretty easy especialy when you sell 1M boxes.

Rift has done OK imo and 250k, if it has 250k of course, would be good numbers and would allow Rift to recover the investment maybe early next year ....

I think it's on the trion website and says 1mil accounts created.  Typically this includes free trials.  So maybe 500k box sale(could be conservative but then again could be a bit generous), at least at start.  Also don't forget trion have a decent amount of sales and even gave the game away for free at one point in the UK.  So your box sale money could be quite a bit off.

And lets be honest the money from subs are anybodies guess.  Even if they are only averaging 250k subs over the year that's still 25mil(the actual amount is going to be over this).  

Also want to point out that they haven't said that rift alone is generating all this revenue, but they have also said it is turning a profit.  

If they do have additional revenue streams could they pass this info on to some of the sandbox indie devs.

Or better still make something more sandbox themselves, pretty pleaseimage.

• TanissaTanissa Member UncommonPosts: 7

Grats to RIFT and thank you TRION for raising the bar on what a company can do.  Fast Great CS, forums with actual communication from Devs, and mostly for listening and responding to your player base, may it only grow stronger.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by SBFord

According to an interview with Reuters, Trion Worlds' Lars Buttler has confirmed that Rift has generated $100 million in its first ten months. In addition, Trion Worlds has acquired $85 million in new funding revenue that will likely be used for future property acquisition or licensing.

This is the problem with MMORPG, they don't seem to understand that the 100 million is just the turnover for the Trion with the game. Subtract out the costs and the actual profit may be slim and even an actual loss. After all does a company that is making huge profits need to take out 85 million bucks in loans, no of course not. Simply put  Trion are using the banking system to expand their company. How much money they will make is anyones guess, especially as GW2 is likely to cannibalise their game numbers for subs significantly when it hits retail release, likely later this year.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Revenue is not profit. Its why there are two different terms. 

My opinion is they don't have 250K subs. Most of the servers are pretty barren, and as a subscriber I haven't seen a heavy or full servers in quite some time.

I would really like to see them cut servers, and increase population cap per server.

Also, this is for the entire 2011 year. They were really hot from March-July. Then not so much. Let's see how horrible their numbers are in 2012 without box sales bailing them out(which exlpains the 85 million they need to get from investors).

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Good job really and it looks like they will dodge a bullet with TOR stinking up the joint. I may just resub to Rift.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Tenebroso

Awesome news! Rift is awesome and Trion always came through for me.

Now how about taking the EQ IP out of SOEs hands and revamping it? :-)

That would be a disaster. SOE already tried to copy WoW in EQ's theme (ala: EQ2) and it failed on its face. We don't need an even MORE Wowified version of EQ from Trion.

~No thanks

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.