Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Why I'm Freaking Out Over SOPA/PIPA

Comments

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

With the closing of megaupload, and 50 sites that connect to it, I dont see why they dont just pass SOPA/PIPA, I say its worse they can take down individual sites without a second glance from the millions of people that use it every day including me. 

Maybee they can make a few hundread thousand more jobs for people that all they do all day is watch the interent for online piracy, thats money well spent, lmao.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by eycel

With the closing of megaupload, and 50 sites that connect to it, I dont see why they dont just pass SOPA/PIPA, I say its worse they can take down individual sites without a second glance from the millions of people that use it every day including me. 

Maybee they can make a few hundread thousand more jobs for people that all they do all day is watch the interent for online piracy, thats money well spent, lmao.

I remember your previous post about how there should be no copy protection on anything, pirating software is not bad, its not like stealing a car because your making a copy, there is no value in the creative element etc etc.   

You probably have terabytes of pirated music, movies and games dumped on a network storage device and cant stand the thought of having to pay for somthing youve probably been stealing most of your life.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

Some MMO's that are up and coming ask for ideas on what the players would like to see in their games in the way of clothes and tattoo's etc.

Of course the easiest way for any user to show what they like is to post a link or picture thats already on the net. SOAPA and PIPA would kill this interaction.

What amazed me all about this is that I was speaking to an American the other day and he had never heard of this SOAPA or PIPA. When I told him about it he asked what dumb country thought of that law..........

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by eycel

Thats because with SOPA/PIPA it would be easier to do that. They would not need to involve FBI or anyone. They would just flip the switch without unneeded publicity for themselves. Poof. Site disappears.

Originally posted by Olgark
    Some MMO's that are up and coming ask for ideas on what the players would like to see in their games in the way of clothes and tattoo's etc.Of course the easiest way for any user to show what they like is to post a link or picture thats already on the net. SOAPA and PIPA would kill this interaction.What amazed me all about this is that I was speaking to an American the other day and he had never heard of this SOAPA or PIPA. When I told him about it he asked what dumb country thought of that law..........

Thats because the USA media and news services intentionally black out any sort of information on those bills.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Sanya hit on the biggest problem with SOPA/PIPA, the requirement for websites to police themselves and the ridiculous ease for an accuser to cause issues with such.

That provision is just outright non-American.  It just shouts out a start down the path to Facism.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Yuui... So stealing user information is OK...? As long as i prove a point...? I am not saying that it is the retaliation recently that put them in the same boat but ther behaviour in general.

Also.. you od know that "Anonymus" began like a joke right... And that it is actually a lot like calling your self "Player 1" and claming to be the greatest player in gaming history...

But some people did not get the joke... And others used it to troll with.. and then came the hackers... And now you have a lot of yahoos running around with masks celebrating a delusional man who tried to blow up a goverment building... And guess what those are called... I am sure there is a pattern here.

This have been a good conversation

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by tawess
    Actually... Terrorist: Someone who uses terror as a mean to achive their goal. Sounds a awful lot like Anonymus to me... And before anyone actually hail them as "heroes" i like to point out  that they do infact use the exact same tactics to get what they want as every other terrorist group from ETA to IRA to Al'Qaeda... With the sole difference of doing it on-line. This is ofc good since it keeps the bodycount down but it is still pretty much the same thing. 

You forgot to mention the American Colonists like Ben Franklin, George Washington, and the others.

Fucking terrorists.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Sanya hit on the biggest problem with SOPA/PIPA, the requirement for websites to police themselves and the ridiculous ease for an accuser to cause issues with such.
    That provision is just outright non-American.  It just shouts out a start down the path to Facism.

Fascism? Not really.

It's just a cover all law. But yeah those types of laws never work just because they often cause trouble for most people and just add an extra step to avoid for those who were going to break it anyway.

The RIAA doesn't want to tell new musicians that they're going to have to tour 200 days of the year to make money.

The MPAA doesn't want to go into international court to sue the actual perpetrators stealing their content.

It was cheaper for them to lobby a few million dollars to Congress and make a cover-all bill.

It's a waste of our representative government to do this and quite frankly they should be sued for doing so.

But we made bribing our officials legal in this country.

• TyrokiTyroki Member UncommonPosts: 183

Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by BadSpock

Tin foil hats off please.

It is about piracy, and it's about MONEY and the corporations and entities losing it due to piracy.

So they pad a few congressional pockets, help write up a really, really poorly written bill or two - internet backlashes, victory for internet right?

They will pass something, something to help curb piracy.

Constructive criticism and fact based arguments to support a new version of the bill that doesn't place the burden of truth on the accused.

Poorly written bill, but something needs to be done.

Piracy IS illegal.

Here's a grown up, adult solution to the problem -

PAY for material from artists, corporations, companies, and other such groups that you like and want to support. Vote with your wallet.

Capitalism.

"There is NO such thing as a free lunch."

YOU, the movie/game/music illegal downloader brought this on us.

The entitlement this generation feels... that they "deserve" to steal is just laughable. Not being able to afford something you want to have is no justification for stealing it. That is called "life" and "reality."

Piracy is a problem... but it's nowhere near the problem that the Music, Movie, and other entertainment industries try to make it out to be.

If you believe everything these companies claim about piracy...

• Casettes killed the music industry.

• VHS killed the movie industry.

• CD burning killed music industry.

• DvD Burning killed the movie industry.

• P2P filesharing killed the music industry.

Sorry, but I'm hesitant to believe that the big bad Internet is doing oh so much harm to these companies that have a distinct history of crying wolf over piracy.

Should piracy be dealt with? Yes, but not to the degree that it erodes free speech and bypasses due process.

This. Besides, it was already proven by the australians that the entertainment industry in general falsified their figures to make piracy seem worse than it is. In reality, the industry has been doing damned good lately.

If a company falls, it isn't piracy, it's usually the company spending their budget badly and pumping out something the people don't like. That's always happened. It isn't piracy that does it :P

MMO's played: Ragnarok Online (For years), WoW (for a few weeks only), Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Eve, Allods, Shattered Galaxy, 9 Dragons, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Star Trek Online (Got someone ELSE to pay for it), Champions Online (Someone else paid), Dofus, Dragonica, LOTRO, DDO and more... A LOT more. I've played good AND bad. The bad didn't last long. :P

Originally posted by PukeBucket

Actually... Terrorist: Someone who uses terror as a mean to achive their goal. Sounds a awful lot like Anonymus to me... And before anyone actually hail them as "heroes" i like to point out  that they do infact use the exact same tactics to get what they want as every other terrorist group from ETA to IRA to Al'Qaeda... With the sole difference of doing it on-line. This is ofc good since it keeps the bodycount down but it is still pretty much the same thing. 

You forgot to mention the American Colonists like Ben Franklin, George Washington, and the others.

Fucking terrorists.

I am going to stop posting in here before i have my posting rights rewoked... But yes i am pretty sure that is what they would have been called if they had lost...

All in all i still hold firm that anyone who tries to use fear and threats to drive theri agenda is not worth praise and no one in here can do jack about that.

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

If it hasn't been pointed out already, SOPA and PIPA are shlved indefinately.  For the time being...

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Originally posted by PukeBucket

Fucking terrorists.

History is written by the winners. If Anonymous somehow caused a revolution that abolished copyright they would be called Heroes

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

For attacking DoJ and FBI websites, Anonymous can now be officially classified as terrorists.

Warrants are out.

These teenage/early 20's yuppy Europeans are going to cry themselves to sleep while shitting out of their mouths in Gitmo.

Was it worth not spending 99 cents for a song douche bag?

We can all agree, the way SOPA/PIPA were written badly and the lobbyist-written language they used were terrible. Awful.

Worth opposing, 100% definitely.

But you can't defend sites like Pirate Bay and Megaupload that knowingly and willfully allow the illegal distribution of copyrighted material.

Illegal = Illegal

Stealing = Stealing

Saying that something isn't worth the price because it's crap.. so it's OK to steal it is really, really niave.

Youtube does it right = user generated content = free.

Copyrighted content = stealing and blocked is A OK

Some of what you say is true.  But Megaupload and Piratebay are used more for file transfer and storage than they are for pirating...  If those sites go down, it will be sites like Fileplanet and other file hosting sites next, regardless of wether they have illegal content or not.  This is all theoretical though.  I personally believe that even if SOPA eventually passes, hardly anything will change.  The government isn't as experienced with the internet as the daily users are, they will try to enforce SOPA, but will fail.  This also applies to the large corporations, who aren't even familiar enough with computing itself to protect their product.

Originally posted by PukeBucket   Originally posted by tawess Actually... Terrorist: Someone who uses terror as a mean to achive their goal. Sounds a awful lot like Anonymus to me... And before anyone actually hail them as "heroes" i like to point out  that they do infact use the exact same tactics to get what they want as every other terrorist group from ETA to IRA to Al'Qaeda... With the sole difference of doing it on-line. This is ofc good since it keeps the bodycount down but it is still pretty much the same thing. 
      You forgot to mention the American Colonists like Ben Franklin, George Washington, and the others. Fucking terrorists.  
    I am going to stop posting in here before i have my posting rights rewoked... But yes i am pretty sure that is what they would have been called if they had lost... All in all i still hold firm that anyone who tries to use fear and threats to drive theri agenda is not worth praise and no one in here can do jack about that.

Why do you hate America?

• CanisLupusXCanisLupusX Member UncommonPosts: 14

For attacking DoJ and FBI websites, Anonymous can now be officially classified as terrorists.

Warrants are out.

These teenage/early 20's yuppy Europeans are going to cry themselves to sleep while shitting out of their mouths in Gitmo.

Was it worth not spending 99 cents for a song douche bag?

We can all agree, the way SOPA/PIPA were written badly and the lobbyist-written language they used were terrible. Awful.

Worth opposing, 100% definitely.

But you can't defend sites like Pirate Bay and Megaupload that knowingly and willfully allow the illegal distribution of copyrighted material.

Illegal = Illegal

Stealing = Stealing

Saying that something isn't worth the price because it's crap.. so it's OK to steal it is really, really niave.

Youtube does it right = user generated content = free.

Copyrighted content = stealing and blocked is A OK

Oh hell. Small minded one. THINK OF IT.

You make a pic of your fav MMORPG you like. No copyright infringement as game has screenie function.

You post it here. NOW IT IS COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT AS YOU DIDNT ASK GAME COMPANY. Now theres a small badaxx who doesnt like you or mmorpg.com or both and tells officials "SOPA CASE! SOPA CASE!" and mmorpg gets shut down.

I dont say i want everything to be free but something so badly written as SOPA is, is real BULLSH!T. Work it over. 10 times. 100 times. Then try again, USA gov't.

If i would write my programs as bad as SOPA is written legally-wise a case of hitting a wrong key would not lead to a popup msg stating ur fault but burning up ur mainboard and reformatting harddrive.

• Lost_BothanLost_Bothan Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by fivoroth

I find the laws ridiculous but you know what's more ridiculous? The US government trying to screw with the affairs of other countries. I mean it is one thing to come up with some stupid laws for your own country but when your laws affect other countries as well, now that's absolutely ridiculous.

Because of the US government I couldn't use wikipedia all day. Wikipedia should block the US from accessing their website... Why do other English countries had to put up with this is beyond me.

What seems ridiculous is how some are generaizing other groups in general. If "other english countries"  blocked the "USA" from wikipedia that would be no better then  previous mentioned bills or laws that so far have been shot down.  Many websites Observed the "black out day" in some form or another whether it was an article, censorship, disabling of support /abilities etc. So if you werent able to access wikipedia for that period id suggest taking it up with the website themselves. I think also that the "hate" generated toward normal everyday people in any country based on their leader's decisions  is a little overboard and ridiculous as well. ( personally it doesnt matter to me where someone is from, but how they act toward me and my friends /or guild /or family )

Given that many websites of different sorts, from information sites, to gaming sites, to hosting sites etc stood together and went against the bills that were proposed. The generation of awareness thanks to these websites  can "awaken" people to the issues being slipped passed without knowledge. Im personally glad that the bills were shelved / sent back to the drawing board / shot down because they were horribly written and failed to follow due process and would only create more problems then already exist.

Originally posted by Lost_Bothan

I find the laws ridiculous but you know what's more ridiculous? The US government trying to screw with the affairs of other countries. I mean it is one thing to come up with some stupid laws for your own country but when your laws affect other countries as well, now that's absolutely ridiculous.

Because of the US government I couldn't use wikipedia all day. Wikipedia should block the US from accessing their website... Why do other English countries had to put up with this is beyond me.

I'd like to point out that this *points up* is in no way shape or form a qoute form me... It is the result of someone derping their keyboard.

What seem(snip)

And i have no idea what he is on about since the read gave me headache.

• Lost_BothanLost_Bothan Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by Lost_Bothan

I'd like to point out that this *points up* is in no way shape or form a qoute form me... It is the result of someone derping their keyboard.

What seem(snip)

And i have no idea what he is on about since the read gave me headache.

If there is any "derping" going on, then perhaps you should scroll up to this quoted post from someone else. My entire point is that "hate" for another race or culture shouldnt have to be here as a result of the horribly writing of a select few people. And Given that its been shot down for now and awareness has been increased. if you had nothing to do with the green part then id suggest taking it up with the above poster for improper quoting.

I wouldn't classify taking a government website as "terror". Terrorists kill people. True both groups don't approach the problem peacefully but no blood is spilt. So they can't really be compared.

I don't agree with their methods but I don't like what the US government is doing either. 

• MazzarinMazzarin Member Posts: 2

What's really hilariously tragic to me is that so many people are willing to complain about things like SOPA/PIPA, the U.S. Government, and whatever else is popular to dislike, but how many of you actually read the legislation? How many of you actually did something about it besides comaplaining on the internet? Did anyone actually write their Congressman? Sign a petition? Make a campaign donation?

My gues is a resounding "No" for the vast majority of posters. And to all the non-Americans complaining about your country's extradition treaties with the U.S., your country's leaders (and by extension your inaction) are at fault if they do not meet your personal approval. Again though, we all know that these treaties are not exercised except when someone does something blatantly illegal. Be thankful the U.S. has chosen to punish individuals and not whole groups. I'm sorry if you're country isn't a global super power with the ability to exercise its vast resources to achieve its strategic goals, but hating and taking measly post shots from a distance under the cloak of anonymity is going to get harder and harder. Your tears fuel this machine because it confirms that things are working as intended.

As for the issue of piracy, you all KNOW how its defined under the law. Whether or not you agree with that definition is not relevant to the discourse. Megaupload and many of its linking sites (to include such places like Icefilms) knowing engage in illegal downloading and pirating of copyrighted material. Their being shut down should not come as a surprise to anyone.

Also, have any of you considered that your posts here and elsewhere on the internet are easily used by the very corporations you claim to hate so much as evidence that callous copyright infringement is widespread? Probably not, because I suspect most people posting in this thread are late teens/eary twenties with no prospects for the future and a "gimme gimme gimme" attitude.

• MazzarinMazzarin Member Posts: 2

I wouldn't classify taking a government website as "terror". Terrorists kill people. True both groups don't approach the problem peacefully but no blood is spilt. So they can't really be compared.

I don't agree with their methods but I don't like what the US government is doing either. 

Alright, let's let Wikipedia define "Terrorism" for us:

"Terrorism is the systematic use of terror, especially as a means of coercion"

Sounds exactly like the sort of thing Anonymous actively pursues. It systematically conducts attacks as a means of coercion. Although they did recently steal a bunch of credit card numbers from STRATFOR just to point out a security flaw. I just feel bad for all those charities who were made accomplices to their "donoations" (most of which were probably cancelled) in the aftermath.

In short, violence isn't required, though they did cause considerable destruction. I guess the next time someone blows up a building in the name of God but doesn't kill anyone, we'll chalk it up as just a random act of violence.

The U.S. Government didn't shut down Wikipedia. That was a voluntarily action on their part, and it was made global to reflect the global reach of SOPA and PIPA. What exactly could other English speaking governments have done about it? Again, it was a voluntarily action from a private organization.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

Originally posted by Mazzarin

What's really hilariously tragic to me is that so many people are willing to complain about things like SOPA/PIPA, the U.S. Government, and whatever else is popular to dislike, but how many of you actually read the legislation? How many of you actually did something about it besides comaplaining on the internet? Did anyone actually write their Congressman? Sign a petition? Make a campaign donation?

My gues is a resounding "No" for the vast majority of posters. And to all the non-Americans complaining about your country's extradition treaties with the U.S., your country's leaders (and by extension your inaction) are at fault if they do not meet your personal approval. Again though, we all know that these treaties are not exercised except when someone does something blatantly illegal. Be thankful the U.S. has chosen to punish individuals and not whole groups. I'm sorry if you're country isn't a global super power with the ability to exercise its vast resources to achieve its strategic goals, but hating and taking measly post shots from a distance under the cloak of anonymity is going to get harder and harder. Your tears fuel this machine because it confirms that things are working as intended.

As for the issue of piracy, you all KNOW how its defined under the law. Whether or not you agree with that definition is not relevant to the discourse. Megaupload and many of its linking sites (to include such places like Icefilms) knowing engage in illegal downloading and pirating of copyrighted material. Their being shut down should not come as a surprise to anyone.

Also, have any of you considered that your posts here and elsewhere on the internet are easily used by the very corporations you claim to hate so much as evidence that callous copyright infringement is widespread? Probably not, because I suspect most people posting in this thread are late teens/eary twenties with no prospects for the future and a "gimme gimme gimme" attitude.

Stop making new accounts to bait people and insult them.

Most poeple like myself did goto the freepress website to sign a e-petition, which gave you the number of your local congressman. Mine was Senator Manchin, I then called him and spoke to one of his advisors. I have already gottin a letter in the mail from Senator Manchin even if it was just some print out signed document saying the bill was postponed until a further date and he would investigate his residents concears when the bill was brought up again. 

Also like somone else stated if all we did was let our goverment walk all over us right now we would still be British.

• waxmaskwaxmask Member UncommonPosts: 55

It´s time to bail the Old Internet and make a new opensource Next Gen Internet platform. A closed circle where only a friend from a friend can join by invitaton and let them sign a nondisclosure first. The Old one is in it last days, overpowered by crap, and now under the watchfull eye of Bigbrother.

Bail ship, make a new one!

You are right, but it´s simply not enough. Reall life action should be taken. Informing the public should be prio 1 atm as many don´t even know what it is let alone read it. It´s hard to explain to my parents what´s going on and what´s the fuss about. And there are the legions of mindless Facecrappers buying into that CIA turd.

First of all read up on your Sun Tzu cause it´s  WAR now, and first thing you should know is your enemy and in what form it´s comming to you!!!!

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

Here's what's driving me nuts...

We (society) are actually lending credence to this nonsense.  You want to stop piracy? Fine/Arrest the people distributing the item. Not hard to do and within legal bounds to do so as long as they are in the U.S.

Distributors should recognize that they are doing this for a reason and it typically isn't altruistic. Supply to the need and you remove the impact of piracy.

In truth, I feel that we have much larger issues that really should be looked at in relation to the internet.

Groups like Youtube are making massive dollars in advertising while typically showcasing  acts that are illegal daily.

Not just illegal, but abhorrent.

Human, Civil, and Animal rights violations filmed and distributed  for profit daily.

Daily.

We endured years of the US Goverment working to ban/censor rap music and video games, but have seen them do almost nothing legislatively regarding this issue.

Instead they attempt to pass legislation that was almost certainly sparked by lobbyist groups because their clients don't feel like they are making enough money...

As long as governments don´t value  human life they don´t have the right to prosecute for any other less offence event. If they still can bomb children in the Middle East, and let people die from disease and famine while there is enough food and medicine in the West, they got NO right to come with crap like this!!! Who care Lars Ulrich gets only 7 Mill of an album instead of 15 Mill. Making laws to make these kind of persons even richer should be a offence, not stealing from rich people!!!