Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Current Graphs Showing Decline - (Found something interesting).

Comments

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by Yamota

Yep. As expected, first month is ending for most people and by the end of the month we should be seeing atleast a 50% drop in both these graphs.

Fans will ofcourse say the graphs shows nothing but we know better.

^this and /thread

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

Originally posted by TJixlee

i cant wait till all the negative ppl leave and move on. then i can enjoy the game along with MANY others

Yep same happened to WaR, Aion, CoH, you name it. In the end, only the chosen few get to enjoy the game while everyone else moves on. Also, youre right, negative people should move on and stop posting negative stuff about the game. From now on, only positive stuff shall be posted.

ps: im still playing the game, so i suppose i should wait til my sub runs out to start posting negative stuff about tor :P

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by Caldicot

What's the big deal? Of course a large enough sample is going to provide data to draw general conclusions from. It's basic statistics. Using two independent sources provides even more reliable data. The conclusion to be drawn from this example is that SWTOR is in decline at the moment. Are there any numbers that says anything other than that?

The 'big deal' is that it fits in with a number of posters view that the game is dying because they want it to.  They think it should die because it doesn't appeal to them so by god it's dead!

Fact of the matter is those, 'sources', are faulty in calculating subscription numbers.  SWArena itself says it's on their site that it no way of testing what subnumbers are due to the changes in server caps/so on, (someones already posted this and the OP hasn't been back since because it ruins he's argument no doubt).  Xfire is used by a tiny percentage of gamers, people on these boards have been saying for years how, 'Xfire proves this X game is dying!!!', and every time there wrong, why? because more people don't use the application then do, so it proves little.

Face facts the games going to be around for a while.  I'm sure many of you don't like that but your going to have to get over it.  Constantly posting these threads about, 'the game should/is dead!', won't make it happen because you want it to and pulling up graphs with questionable sourcing won't make it happen either.  

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I think they will be lucky to have a 55% retention rate at the end of the free month. That still leaves a lot of players, but the big question will be what the retention rates are moving forward and how much they get offest by new players.

I just don't see anything about the MMO aspects of this game that signal retention rates superior to the average AAA title released in the last five years, which would equal a pretty steady decline and the need for server merges by the end of year one.

I think TOR may have an advantage in getting people who bought the game to buy at least one paid month. For those who really like the storyline and avoid PVP and Endgame, there is probably enough RPG story content to keep many happy for two months, or even more. However, for everyone, once Story content loses what ever benefit it holds for particular players, I think the game just does not offer enough as an MMO to maintain long term retention.

If the drop off now that the free month has ended is as steep as other AAA titles, TOR may be in real trouble, because their "Zero Month" retention should benefit a lot from the story content.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

@Sukiyaki

Mostly true, but in all fairness holidays and other seasonal stuff could be filtered by doing a relative comparsion to other games, f.e. if pop stable mmo xy drops by 10% and ToR drops by 15% you could say holidays make up about 10% of the decline.

Personally im going with the theory of people adapting saner game times though, i do know many people pull all nighters etc on new MMOs, lord knows there are enough 50s complaining of being done with content ...

That being said, there is an xfire phenomenom that i call "crash and burn". I have witnessed it with Warhammer, AoC and STO, there was a very steep decline visible on xfire even during the free month and as we know in hindsight this was indeed a sign of things to come. This was not the case for SWTOR, but we will see how many of the xfire users will continue their sub in about a week.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Made up graph, correct graph makes no difference to the overall fact.  SWTOR numbers have declined.  I don't need all these fandangeled graphs, and xfire and what not.  I know it because it's just plain common sense.  A game comes out, it is very hyped and everyone rushes to buy.  All these hyped MMO'ers play and a natural selection process begins where it weeds out the uninformed, the over enthusiastic, and the simple 'meh, its not for me'.  A natural evolutionary process that all games go through.   Yes, Yes, lets bring up WoW.  I would submit that's an outlier and not part of the norm.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

And I dont even get the people who pretend "there are no holiday activity drops". Is it not fucking obvious when looking at the playtime graphs of almost all "popular" games, going steadily down about 5-10% since Christmas, with exception of those running some "free2play" events lately? Its like "hey the white line is the one straight horizontal! The red line is NOT and its dipping below the angle of that straight horizontal white one very clearly... so its dropping." - "What? Hu? Cant hear you! Nothing dropped except SWTOR! They remained all stable! lalalalalalala!" At that point any argument is pretty much worthless.[Insert blue/red sky anology]

The point I was trying to make with the my graphs was that the people saying "SWTOR is only losing people because of the holiday periods" - is not correct. And I directly answered a question about "show me a game that has not dropped on Xfire"

I did....

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by Zeal77

Hi. I've been playing MMO's since 1999. I have never heard of xfire, I have never used xfire. I play SWTOR. There are millions of folks like me who don't use/ have never heard of xfire and play MMO's. I think there may be a flaw in your data/ assumptions.

So..you have never heard of it.  20+ million other people have.   :)  Yes, xfire has 20+ million registered users.   Now whether all 20+ million are still registered..it kind of blows your "There are millions of folks like me who don't use/ have never heard of xfire and play MMO's" all to pieces.

Actually, it doesn't.  20 million is a small portion of the probable total gaming population.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Originally posted by pharazonic

Originally posted by Slowdoves

Originally posted by pharazonic

Originally posted by jpnz

I'm sure the fact the holiday season is over for people that work has nothing to do with this. XD

I wasn't able to login the past 2 days due to work. :(

Believe it or not but MMORPGs get more play during work weeks as opposed to holidays. 

Summers and Christmas/New Years are the slow, lull periods in MMOs. 

Really?

I dunno, there are a lot of kids and College kids out of school!

Really. 

Holidays see the rise of school kids playing and the fall of college kids/adults. 

That's a pure guess on your part.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

The decline to me won't matter. People who have looked forward to the game and are big fans are all that will and should be left to play. A few will be held for a while until some of the new big names coming go gold.  GW2 is in my opinion going to suck up a lot of players from many of the other MMO's due to it being something totally different and being f2p. I'm not a fanboy of GW2 but I read a lot on different MMOs and it just makes sense.

I'm loving this game so far and it has so many awesome qualities. If we are knocked down to just a few servers with dedicated players so be it, the are the ones I wanted to play next to and against anyway! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

{mod edit}

.... but seriously, it's not all too surprising.  I still wish BioWare all the best with the game but just from what I've seen from the people I know (and there are quite a few) who got the game, there were very few who felt great about the game while most felt lukewarm (see what I did there?) at best.

I won't claim to know the numbers, but quite simply, if those graphs are fairly accurate it simply doesn't surprise me.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Originally posted by Amjoco

GW2 is in my opinion going to suck up a lot of players from many of the other MMO's due to it being something totally different and being f2p. 

GW2 is not f2p, it's b2p.

How many times does it need to be said?

..Cake..

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by sgel

GW2 is in my opinion going to suck up a lot of players from many of the other MMO's due to it being something totally different and being f2p. 

12.7 times a day. 

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I'd bet you'd see a similar decline followed by a gradual stabilisation at a new population level for any subscription MMO out there.

I don't think anyone expected them to keep on to all people after the first month.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Seems there starts to be a discrepancy. Arena hardly showed any difference after first payment, while xFire use decresed a lot.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

This is a another webpage with graphs taken from swtor servers

http://www.torstatus.net/shards/eu/trends

http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/trends

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

Made up graph, correct graph makes no difference to the overall fact.  SWTOR numbers have declined.  I don't need all these fandangeled graphs, and xfire and what not.  I know it because it's just plain common sense.  A game comes out, it is very hyped and everyone rushes to buy.  All these hyped MMO'ers play and a natural selection process begins where it weeds out the uninformed, the over enthusiastic, and the simple 'meh, its not for me'.  A natural evolutionary process that all games go through.   Yes, Yes, lets bring up WoW.  I would submit that's an outlier and not part of the norm.

That pretty much sums it up. We see it with every game that's come out lately and for some reason it's DOOOM groundhog day every time it happens.

Over time people will leave, people will stay and people will join. Things will get fixed, things will get added and things will get broken and nerfed. There will be drama and outrage along the way and they'll be excitement and pleasure. In short, TOR's lifecycle will be perfectly normal.

• illorionillorion Member Posts: 467

Originally posted by sgel

Probably as often as that point needs to be countered I supposed.

I don't know about all of you... but i certainly DO NOT have the time to invest into two different MMO's. When I played WoW thats all I played was WoW. When I played Darkfall that was all I played was darkfall.

So even thought SWTOR and GW2 are two different payment models it has no bearing on whether or no GW2 will affect subs... because it most certainly will.

I know that if I was still playing SWTOR when GW2 came out and GW2 was obviously better than SWTOR (which it will be IMO but we just have to wait and see) than I would definatly stop play SWTOR and go to GW2... because I have a job and  life. I only have to time to invest in one MMO.

Edit: Plus MMO's have become like sports... people pick a team and stick with them

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by spizz

This is a another webpage with graphs taken from swtor servers

http://www.torstatus.net/shards/eu/trends
    http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/trends

From the owner of that site you linked:

"accumulated population index has nothing to do with the number of players!" -_-

Seems like the creators of those charts on both sites are more knowledgeable in the data they collect than most people linking to it >.>

... then again, when people keep posting flawed or incorrect information, it leads to reason that people like that have another agenda than just posting objective data.

As for the charts, server load status has changed over the weeks, if 2000-2500 registered as 'full' a couple of weeks ago, the same amount'll register as 'heavy' or 'very heavy' now.

Besides that, server status doesn't mean the same for all servers: 'full' on 1 server can be 'very heavy' on another with the same number of players.
  • spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

This is interesting, most decline of players are actually on pvp servers...its understandable.

hthttp://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats

http://www.torstatus.net/shards/eu/stats

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

keep feeding him his granola

Originally posted by illorion

I know that if I was still playing SWTOR when GW2 came out and GW2 was obviously better than SWTOR (which it will be IMO but we just have to wait and see) than I would definatly stop play SWTOR and go to GW2... because I have a job and  life. I only have to time to invest in one MMO.

Edit: Plus MMO's have become like sports... people pick a team and stick with them

Maybe to some people that's true, you certainly see the same fanatical devotion with some people when it comes to having chosen a sports team they're fan of, with the same bashing on other sports teams that such devoted sports fans do.

However, there are also a lot of people that treat it differently, who for example just like baseball or football in general, with many some teams they favor more but not in a way that they can't enjoy the games of other sports teams as well.

Personally, I like it when I can vary between games, instead of spending 100% of my MMO time on 1 MMO, I divide it by spending like 60% of my MMO time on my main, and 40% on a second one, or maybe 10% of that on a third when I'm in the mood. That's what I liked of GW. Even when I was playing other MMO's, I could hop into GW whenever I felt like it without having to make a fulltime 100% MMO commitment. Now, with other MMO's having gone F2P or fremium, that is even more possible.

But hey, each person is different in that, some MMO gamers indeed treat their MMO gaming monogamousmly where they only pick 1 MMO and stick with it disregarding all others or treat it like a fulltime project commitment
    Originally posted by spizz

This is interesting, most decline of players are actually on pvp servers...its understandable.

hthttp://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats
    http://www.torstatus.net/shards/eu/stats

Keep linking the false information, pal, it doesn't make it any more true :)

the chart creator himself alrdy said that his graphs aren't about player numbers, it's funny how you link his info for your own agenda while ignoring what he himself has to say about it.
  • illorionillorion Member Posts: 467

Originally posted by smh_alot

Originally posted by illorion

Maybe to some people that's true, you certainly see the same fanatical devotion with some people when it comes to having chosen a sports team they're fan of, with the same bashing on other sports teams that such devoted sports fans do.

However, there are also a lot of people that treat it differently, who for example just like baseball or football in general, with many some teams they favor more but not in a way that they can't enjoy the games of other sports teams as well.

Personally, I like it when I can vary between games, instead of spending 100% of my MMO time on 1 MMO, I divide it by spending like 60% of my MMO time on my main, and 40% on a second one, or maybe 10% of that on a third when I'm in the mood. That's what I liked of GW. Even when I was playing other MMO's, I could hop into GW whenever I felt like it without having to make a fulltime 100% MMO commitment. Now, with other MMO's having gone F2P or fremium, that is even more possible.

But hey, each person is different in that, some MMO gamers indeed treat their MMO gaming monogamousmly where they only pick 1 MMO and stick with it disregarding all others or treat it like a fulltime project commitment

I agree with you... there are people that like to play serveral MMO's at once... but there are also alot of people who only have time for one. Alot of the time its becasue they want to experience everything a game has to offer.

If you only have 4 hours or so on average to play a day... and you only spend half of that time in WoW and the other half else where... then you will probably never have experienced end game because, lets face it, it takes a hell of alot more than two hours to play any sort of end game.

However, Im sure there are a HUGE number of players that feel as you do. However, to say that GW2 will not affect SWTOR... or any other P2P games... is just naive

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

This discussion has been closed.