Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why some people like to play healer?

13»

Comments

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Its pure fun to have one of my team mates getting hit by 4 enemies, and im outhealing the damage, and after 5 minutes when they are dead, they realize i had to die first, IF THEY COULD hehe

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

For me my first roll is typically a tank and my second roll is generally a healer. I find that in most games they are the most challenging aspects of group play. It's not really about helping people for me though I do love to help my friends, the type I help I do would be just fine as any class.

Mainly I find DPS classes just boring. You sit there and do your rotations and watch the numbers fly. With tanking and healing you have to react to the situation and be in control. Otherwise your party fails, plus I know a lot of tanks and healers suck and I don't so I love all the compliments I get for not being one of those people that simply rolls healer or tank so they can get party invites. Healing takes a certain amount of finesse and concentration which is another attractive attribute to me. Plus not having to sit around trying to get a group is a bonus but that's a reason way down my list, I would still choose those two classes even if I had the difficulty a DPS generally has.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by fenistil

@OP

Why people play tanks, dps ,support ,cc , etc classes?

edit:lately games don't have dedicated cc or and support classes though :/

True, CC is nowadays majorly ignored. Another aspect of the present games' dumbification (if such word exists, lol). Kill order and target selection mattering? Why? Let's just spam AOEs.

Anyway, I agree with you. Why play any role? mmmm.. cos you like it?

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I do a lot of PvP, and DPS are pretty much a dime a dozen.

I have found when i play a healer, i "win" more than i lose, that being open pvp with others, battlegrounds, rvr, whatever. I really enjoy winning the big picture, than i do beating down a  random dpser.

As someone said earlier, its quite hysterical watching two people try and beat someone down while i am off in the background healing them. You get a lot of words of thanks for stuff like that. On the opposite end, when you get noticed, and continuosly focused fired can be a drag, but i think of it more as a compliment :)

As far as PvP goes, it rarely takes long to get a group.....

So i play a healer

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

A good question I think.  I played my very first healer in SWTOR, so I can't give you a history of my healer experiences.  However, I'm finding I enjoy it more than what I would have thought.  I usually play damage based mages.  I like standing in the back pounding things.  I didn't really think I would like healerr, but I thought I'd give it a try.

One of the fun parts for me, is trying to keep a party alive when it gets close.  Juggling between healing 3 near death players, while they battle on, being mindful of each little drop of health, husbanding that last bit of mana for your few last spells, can mean the differrence between defeat and victory.  

It's kind of a MMO'er rush on trying to do that juggling act.  When you're the healer, and there isn't really a challenge, you're just sort of tagging along because it's part of the trinity, it's not that great.  But come the big battles, its on.

I self identify as a monkey.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

As someone who has always played healers, my answer is simple. I'm a control freak who wants my limited game time to be productive. That means I'm going to be the one to keep my friends alive so we can get through whatever content we're working on as smoothly as possible.

Dying is a pain in the ass. I'd rather not do it, if possible. If that means that I'm the one keeping my guildmates alive, so be it. Besides, it's fun.

• Sanity888Sanity888 Member UncommonPosts: 185

One-third of MMO players are females ... healing is one-third of the trinity roles ... anyone see a co-relation?

• GranreyGranrey Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by Sanity888

One-third of MMO players are females ... healing is one-third of the trinity roles ... anyone see a co-relation?

Now that you mention that. Some of the healer guys are strange.................

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by Sanity888

Stereotype much?

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I like to heal because I find groups fast. Also, its far more challenging than a facerolling, button mashing DPS class.

DPS are a dime a dozen, and the difference between an OK DPSer and great DPSer is not going to make or break a group. 

Can't say the same about a healer or tank.

• ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

I personally have never been into the healer role. Not sure why people like it. Yes it makes you feel good you can support your team, but I think in games your whole point is to kill and get points? Yeah you can get points when you heal, but in the end its n ot the same satisfaction. 

• drivecdrivec Member UncommonPosts: 104

THE HEALZ I KEEP THEM COMIN. 

nothing better then saving a friend from the jaws of death.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

-Join pug.

-Heal like a machine.

-Right before final boss pull quickly enter "afk bio" in group chat.

-Start Fraps

-75% chance they miss or ignore chat.

-Watch as they pull and then slowly realize that you are afk.

-Revel as panic sets in and chaos ensues.

-Snicker as everyone cusses you and each other.

-Wait for the storm to settle a bit.

-Type in group "Woah, what happened? Dood, I said I was afk."

-Stop fraps

-Finish boss with group chat probably being dead silent.

-Return to town.

-Upload Fraps.

What's not to love about being the healer?

All die, so die well.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I tried healers and I find most healers to be quite a bore.  It feels like its usually either too simple or the UI is too useless.

I enjoyed healing in WoW though because the addons really made it nice and easy to manage healing, cleansing, etc.  Unlike SWTOR where its a pain in the @$$ to tell whether that guy has your HoT or not and its impossible to tell unless you targetted them and see the buffs.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• lance999lance999 Member UncommonPosts: 12

I've played a healer several times. Mostly, I like it, because I can "carry" a group. Like the whole group could be terrible, but in most games with a good healer you can clear anything (especially early game content)

Same for playing a tank too, you can carry a group aslong as your healer isnt complete derp.

• Julian-DarkJulian-Dark Member Posts: 6

Basically in holy tinity games, to play a DPS, you can be retarded. Just mash some buttons and you are fine. You get praise if you are good and the game has damage meters. Zero responsibility most of the time.

Being a tank, it's about kinda going first everywhere, you can still be retarded and just mash buttons, but there is some (mis)conception of leadership, you need to know (or at least pretend to know) what you are doing. Being a tank puts you in front of the group, in the spotlight, so you have to like that.

Being a healer, you are in the middle of the retarded DPS(=out of sight), you have to keep everyone alive, if you don't, it's a wipe. So kinda responsible role, usually gets no praise when sucessful, often gets hate when not (even if it's not their fault). So to like being a healer, you have to be self confident about your abilities, and find joy in doing things right, have some sense of responsibility. Basicaly you have to like being the "guy that gets things done but noone appreciates him".

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

this has been said on every page in this thread, so I'm gonna say it again.

It's fun knowing that you make or break the group. If a dps guy disconnects or dies, well the fight just takes a little longer. If the tank dies, usually the mob is close enough to death that a dpser can off-tank it while you burn it down. If the healer dies, everyone panics.

And it's nice being able to find groups pretty much 24/7

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I play healers because they tend to solo more easily than other classes.  Also, in regards to mana based classes, healers tend to be least problematic when it comes to mana pools / regens when soloing.  My favorite type of class is Druid and sadly, they almost always get pigeon holed into the healer archetype although some games do give them a nice mix of magic damage and healing combined.  The Everquest I druid is still by far my most favorite class of any MMO to date.

All that being said, I am really looking foward to Guild Wars 2.  The fact that everyone will be responsible for their own healing is a breath of very fresh air.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

I think it is the same type of fun as all the other classes. Essentially, every class has a spectrum of powers from which to choose in what situations in the most efficient and effective means possible. The only difference between a healer and any other class is that they focus their button pushing and clicking toward watching health bars rise, where everyone else is focused on watching mob bars go down.

In addition, many games throw a couple of extra 'you need a healer for _______________' - fill in with things like, 'stun' or 'rez' or 'super power buff #1', etc.

Recently the trend has been to let the healer achieve their role in new and exciting ways. Gone are the '99 EQ cleric: /sit, /cast complete heal, /sit. That was almost the only thing they did other than rez. Now we have melee healers, caster healers, plate wearers and cloth wearers. Healers that gain their abilities by drawing on the mob - so they finally get to like watching health bars drain for once.

And last but certainly not least - you almost always have a group.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

Vanguard Disciple is just a great class to play. I hate whack a mole healers and refuse to heal if the game doesnt have defensive target. 

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Because everyone else wants to DPS.  The few the proud, the Healers.  In gaming that's who we are.  Lets listen to what goes on in a Healers mind.

1. Must keep Tank alive

2. Must keep Group alive

3. Must keep Raid alive

4. No Time to heal my slef

5. Some one will notice these Adds, and come rescue me

6. Melee DPS, ignoring their role as Healer defence for 23 years.

That's right, there never was a Trinity.  The roles are:

1. Tank

2. Range DPS

3. Healer

4. Healer Defence

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I'm playing healers almost exclusively for several years and through various mmorpgs.

Besides finding groups on the fly, people are usually being more friendly to healers and i don't have to take all the sh1t the DPS guys get. No one cares for my HPS as long as people stay alive, while lots of times people get upon each other about DPS although the group performs just fine. This has quite an impact on my personal gaming experience which is way more enjoyable being a healer.

Also, as a healer i don't have to mess around with stupid groups, stupid tanks or stupid DPS. Get another group in a second or let everyone die who acts like an idiot. They usually behave afterwards, it never happened to me as a healer that someone tried to votekick me.

In my raiding times i've always had my own slot on the roster.

The main reason is but that one day i got sick of playing dmg-classes because all you've come to deal with are the same-o-same scripted mobs day in and out.

Playing a healer, my part is not to deal with scripted repetition, but with actual people. Anything can happen all the time, no two runs are the same.

All this helped me to keep my interest in mmorpgs while standing around in a capital city with my warlock begging for an invite i would have quit ages ago.

• GranreyGranrey Member Posts: 53

Thanks all for your repplies.

Anyway, GW2 is getting rid of it. DCUO is finding a way around it (you can can still be a healer but raids and alerts can be done without one or any other class)