Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seems like the game has peaked on XFire

Comments

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Originally posted by Blackbrrd

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by potapithikos

Everytime people say that Xfire proves nothing.... and so far everytime they have been proven wrong.

The world is full of Homer Simpsons.

I'd like to see that proof. Keep in mind coincidence doesn't constitute proof. You have to proove a direct corellation and causation.

I know a strong trend down on xfire for AoC was because the playerbase was falling. I have been following the game relatively closely, and if you adjust the trends on xfire for xfire campaigns it's a very good _indicator_. I think it's too early to conclude anything for swtor, especially with downtime on both the 18th and 19th.

No, it only indicates within X-fire.  It has no validity outside of X-fire.  This has been discussed far too many times in this thread.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Vato26

Everytime people say that Xfire proves nothing.... and so far everytime they have been proven wrong.

I'd like to see that proof. Keep in mind coincidence doesn't constitute proof. You have to proove a direct corellation and causation.

I know a strong trend down on xfire for AoC was because the playerbase was falling. I have been following the game relatively closely, and if you adjust the trends on xfire for xfire campaigns it's a very good _indicator_. I think it's too early to conclude anything for swtor, especially with downtime on both the 18th and 19th.

No, it only indicates within X-fire.  It has no validity outside of X-fire.  This has been discussed far too many times in this thread.

Be my guest and ignore it then.

There is no "ignore" on my part.  I'm following proven statistical analysis procedures.  Which proves, by fact, that X-fire statistics used outside of X-fire userbase has no validity.

However, there is "ignore" on your part.  Ignoring these statisical analysis procedures to use X-fire statistics in any way you can to fulfill your own self-serving beliefs.

So, be my guest and ignore the actual facts then.  It doesn't make your position truthful.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

There is no "ignore" on my part.  I'm following proven statistical analysis procedures.  Which proves, by fact, that X-fire statistics used outside of X-fire userbase has no validity.

However, there is "ignore" on your part.  Ignoring these statisical analysis procedures to use X-fire statistics in any way you can to fulfill your own self-serving beliefs.

So, be my guest and ignore the actual facts then.  It doesn't make your position truthful.

You made your point, and others like you. You don't believe it has validity. Ok, we get it. Now stop disrupting this thread please? So we can disuss trends in xFire? Thanks.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

What you mean is: we don't know how badly or how well the x-fire population represents the total userbase. It could be a perfect representation or a very bad one, but we don't really know. So therefore, you assume that it is a bad one and dismiss all trends shown by it. 

• kurtbarlowkurtbarlow Member Posts: 39

How well does http://www.swtorarena.com/statistics/ represent server statistics on population trends ?

Maybe we could compare between xfire and this.

Originally posted by Metentso

You made your point, and others like you. You don't believe it has validity. Ok, we get it. Now stop disrupting this thread please? So we can disuss trends in xFire? Thanks.

It's not a "belief" it's a fact. The thread is not about trends on xfire. It's about if SWTOR had peaked three weeks ago, which it clearly hadn't,  And what it meant which is nothing. What is disrupting this thread is people necroing it to give their fantasy version of how statistics work.

It's about if it has peaked on xFire, as the title says. And it's never been "necroed", at most 2-3 days have passed without a post, that's not necroing, I watch xFire every day and there is always something to comment on.

And yes, SWTOR has peaked on xFire, a bit later than the OP said but it did.

So, because my statements are not you want to hear, yet they are based on X-fire, you don't want me to type them? 

Sorry... I am not gonna comply with your wishes.

Originally posted by InFaVilla

What you mean is: we don't know how badly or how well the x-fire population represents the total userbase. It could be a perfect representation or a very bad one, but we don't really know. So therefore, you assume that it is a bad one and dismiss all trends shown by it. 

I believe that you haven't read all my posts on this subject.  Because, I have specifically stated, MULTIPLE times, that X-fire statistics are useful for showing trends within X-fire.  I have also proven my point, MULTIPLE times, that X-fire statistics used outside of X-fire are invalid based on the complete lack of sampling controls.

It's not a "belief" it's a fact. The thread is not about trends on xfire. It's about if SWTOR had peaked three weeks ago, which it clearly hadn't,  And what it meant which is nothing. What is disrupting this thread is people necroing it to give their fantasy version of how statistics work.

It's about if it has peaked on xFire, as the title says. And it's never been "necroed", at most 2-3 days have passed without a post, that's not necroing, I watch xFire every day and there is always something to comment on.

Yet, the anti-SWTOR brigade has tried to use the X-fire statistics outside of the X-fire userbase a multitude of times within this thread.  That is a fact.

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by dubyahite

Here, I can play with Xfire numbers too:

ToR currently has 9,453 users per day on Xfire.

WoW has 19,138 players.

This means that the ToR population is about 49% of WoW's population. So that meanst ToR has 5 million players. 

See how silly that sounds? 

true is that wow has 8mil chineese player in that number so it leaves 2mil to NA and EU

that also means that swtor has around one mil based on this statistic, which is pretty accurate

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I don't think I'd call what its doing now "peaking" .. but I'm sure any similarity that shares with actual changes in TOR's population is purely coincidental image

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Has it peaked on xfire? Probably but hard to say without knowing the future. Had it peaked when the thread was started? Absolutely not. It was a settled issue the assertion proved wrong weeks ago.  Dead is dead. Rising dead threads is necroing. Tthree days three weeks three minutes, it makes no difference.

It has peaked for now, and it looks like for some time. Of course we are not going to wait till Bioware closes the game to know for sure when was the maximum xFire rating in the history of SWTOR.

Thread was not dead. Now comes the first week end after payment. We will discuss it if you dont mind of course.

So, because my statements are not you want to hear, yet they are based on X-fire, you don't want me to type them? 

Ok do what you want but we had 50 pages discussing what you are trying to bring up again. And we just want to talk about xFire trends. If you are going to say after every post that xFire numbers don't represent blah blah blah, ok but it's annoying.

Ok do what you want but we had 50 pages discussing what you are trying to bring up again. And we just want to talk about xFire trends. If you are going to say after every post that xFire numbers don't represent blah blah blah, ok but it's annoying.

Selective memory?  Because the anti-SWTOR brigade keeps on trying to use X-fire statistics outside of the X-fire userbase.

Selective memory?  Because the anti-SWTOR brigade keeps on trying to use X-fire statistics outside of the X-fire userbase.

Well they can if they want to. It's not against the law you know.

Well they can if they want to. It's not against the law you know.

I see.  So, you complain that about me "disrupting the thread" by making my factual comments about X-fire statistics.  Yet, you are ok with the anti-SWTOR brigade trying to use X-fire statistics outside of the X-fire userbase while also stating that this thread is only about if it has peaked ON X-fire

Hmmm.... that speaks volumes.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

XFire showed the decline of AoC, WAR, FFXIV & Aion, and now it's doing it again, Xfire is a great way to see trends of soon to be f2p mmos, it doesn't matter really, just look at Teala's post, xfire, again, has showed the decline of another MMO. [Mod Edit]

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

Around 18% loss comparing yesterday to previous saturday. Doesn't seem too bad, would be a 72% retention rate among xFire users, which could be the most higher level and more demanding players, so not looking bad for SWTOR.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

Around 18% loss comparing yesterday to previous saturday. Doesn't seem too bad, would be a 72% retention rate among xFire users, which could be the most higher level and more demanding players, so not looking bad for SWTOR.

If you're basing that 72% retention on that 18% loss, then I think your meant 82% :-)

Regardless, that figure is based on player hours, not Xfire player numbers. If you compare the player number of this Saturday to the one last Saturday (10749), then it's a 13% loss and 87% retention in the line of your calculation.

However, I still find it too premature to make conclusions based on that. When the days progress this week, it'll become more clear whether the 13% drop and related 87% retention is an overall Xfire trend for TOR, or if it'll show large fluctuations.
  • smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Timacek

Originally posted by dubyahite

Here, I can play with Xfire numbers too:

ToR currently has 9,453 users per day on Xfire.

WoW has 19,138 players.

This means that the ToR population is about 49% of WoW's population. So that meanst ToR has 5 million players. 

See how silly that sounds? 

true is that wow has 8mil chineese player in that number so it leaves 2mil to NA and EU

that also means that swtor has around one mil based on this statistic, which is pretty accurate

It doesn't really work like that. For example, EVE Online has a reported 350k subs which we know aren't in China like WoW's but for the largest part in the West. EVE has 1200 Xfire players. Based on that, TOR would, because it has 8 times more Xfire players, have around 2.8 million players right now, if you use the Xfire figures like that.

That's why it isn't very accurate to compare games in Xfire with eachother, too large a margin for inaccuracy. However, for general trends per game itself personally I think tools like Xfire and Raptr are ok, as long as you're aware of the limited merit of it.

Originally posted by smh_alot

If you're basing that 72% retention on that 18% loss, then I think your meant 82% :-)

Regardless, that figure is based on player hours, not Xfire player numbers. If you compare the player number of this Saturday to the one last Saturday (10749), then it's a 13% loss and 87% retention in the line of your calculation.

However, I still find it too premature to make conclusions based on that. When the days progress this week, it'll become more clear whether the 13% drop and related 87% retention is an overall Xfire trend for TOR, or if it'll show large fluctuations.

Ah yes.. my maths... :)

I agree with you completely. But honestly i was expecting a much bigger drop in xFire players. Time will tell.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

X-Fire players are spending less time playing SWTOR than they did last week or the week before. That would be expected, and the graphs show it.

But does that automatically mean they've unsubbed and uninstalled the game ? Or are they still subbed, but less active because they're waiting for new content and/or bug fixes ?

I've no idea how other people pay for games that require monthly subs, but personally I always buy 6 or 12 month subs if I feel that I'll be spending regular time in a game. It's usually a considerable saving as opposed to paying the standard $15 on a monthly basis.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

It had a serious dip on the 18th (34322) but it looks like it's recovering rather nicely. Jan 14: 67744 and Jan 21: 55992. That's almost 83%, if that were a good indication of retention for the first month then all hail EA/BW. That would look great.

Of course there are some people that have already cancelled and still have access to the game, but it doesn't look like TOR is dead just yet. :)

imageimage
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

EDIT: Double post /EDIT

This discussion has been closed.