Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Sentinel Player Guide

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

With the amazing success of Star Wars: The Old Republic, players are often looking for direction on how to play their favorite classes. Today, MMORPG.com is pleased to present our Sentinel Player Guide. Check it out!

Star Wars: The Old Republic offers up eight different classes, and each of these classes can split off into two different Advanced Classes. This design allows for a lot of flexibility and you'll soon realize you're able to specialize in either a damage or a support role no matter what Advanced Class you end up picking, well, almost. Enter the Jedi Sentinel, a dual-wielding Advanced Class available to the Jedi Knight. Like any Jedi Knight, the Sentinel is committed to protecting others -- but sometimes the best defense is a great offense, which is why the Sentinel comes equipped with two lightsabers and three specs focused entirely on dealing damage.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic: Sentinel Player Guide.

Comments

• onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161

Nice guide, Mike

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Good work again Mike, loving these guides.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

I play watchman and it's pretty close to what I do. I worry less about keeping cauterize on all the time, as I like the zen/cauterize combo a lot, and I can build the 30 centering very fast these days, so waiting a bit to redo cauterize that can heal seems worth it to me. Keeping merciless strike going makes the DPS go way up however.

He's totally correct about the complex cycle of powers. And the recent patch totally hosed me because of the lack of greying out buttons I cannot push because of cooldowns. They provided an utterly stupid reason for it: If the skill meets the criteria for it's use, it'll be lit up, even if it is on cool down.... well guess what. COOL DOWN IS A CRITERIA FOR USE. GGAAAAHHHHH......

Add in the fact most of our powers are light blue in color, and the cooldown "bar" is light blue in color, and you can't tell when a power is usable or not.... GRRRR.......

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Originally posted by eric_w66

Add in the fact most of our powers are light blue in color, and the cooldown "bar" is light blue in color, and you can't tell when a power is usable or not.... GRRRR.......

SWTOR Fanboy: "Why not go to lenscrafters and get some glasses, and a new monitor. Not Bioware's fault you're playing at a scrunched res. "

SWTOR Hater: "Just more proof that Bioware does not know how to make an MMO. If there were UI mods this would not be an issue"

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

Originally posted by eric_w66

SWTOR Fanboy: "Why not go to lenscrafters and get some glasses, and a new monitor. Not Bioware's fault you're playing at a scrunched res. "

SWTOR Hater: "Just more proof that Bioware does not know how to make an MMO. If there were UI mods this would not be an issue"

All too true. I'm neither.

Me: JUST FIX IT (Or make it an option).

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

I rolled this up as an alt to my bounty hunter because a) I wanted a lightsaber wielding force class, and b) everyone said it was a gimp hard to play class.

I really like the class, but in warzones and PvP it really is lacking in some utility and usefulness.  You have the Sorceror/Sage who has the best CC's in the game, as much or more DPS, a shield that gives more survivability than most tanks have in key situations, a sprint, etc. which makes them like god mode especially in hutt ball.  You have the Juggernaut/Guardian splits of this class that have more CC, more survivability, more armor, and can put out plenty of dps. 

This is the hardest class to play, has the least utility, has some of the least survivability, and is out dps'ed by almost every class unless played on point where it can do great dps, but still can be out dps'ed by many classes due to survivability and other issues.  On top of this it has the most downtime of any class in PvE, and Bioware seems to think they need no changes and is just fine.

The problem is I just love playing the class.  I like the style.  I just don't see how they think this class is balanced against a Sorc/Sage or many other classes.  This game is going to have 3:1 Sorc/Sage over all other classes combined if they don't change something. 

Don't even get started on how hard melee is to play in world pvp where it is a ranged mob fest.  You can leap in and have some fun as the groups break apart, but otherwise there isn't a lot you can do.  Sorc/Sage are also gods here with pulls, shields, AOE, ranged dps, etc. 

Maybe just a force push or pull would make the class round out.

Nice guide though!  Spot on.

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

great article, helped me tremendously.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I am playing a combat sentinel. It is very fun, despite some drawbacks. It went through a small period of blah before getting the ataru form (level 15 to 20 was sorta of blah). Things are starting to pick up again at level 25. I hope the Sentinel continues to improve as he levels.

I think getting some of the additional specs in watchman might be of interest though to me now, because my character is definitely a squishy. I think that more than the burst damage aspect of it is what I don't like.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.