Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LoL I just had to post this....

Some dude raging ont the offical SWTOR forums made this and I kinda LOLed hahah...

http://i.imgur.com/UmcMV.jpg

Comments

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

old news....meh

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Lol....WoW just WoW

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

I still can't believe this image.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

the most "wow" part of it all, imo, is the designer's quote - which I agree with - given the final execution of the game.

The skill list is funny/sad, but playing any class in SWTOR for a few levels gives you that deja vu feeling of "funny, could have sworn I played this character before with these exact same skills"

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Yeah I kept noticing the same thing when I played a warrior in rift, kept calling abilities by their wow names because it was the same.

On the other side of the coin, however, that is only 14 abilities. The person who made this image decided to be selective and only show ones that were the same as wow, while leaving out the different ones.

Its been a while since I've played wow, but look at the taunt for example, it has a PvP effect. I don't think wow has that. There are lots of other differences in how the classes play.

Does wow have a stealth healer that can use cover and mel

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by Zlayer77

Some dude raging ont the offical SWTOR forums made this and I kinda LOLed hahah...

http://i.imgur.com/UmcMV.jpg

Welcome to 2009.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

The chorus of this song just popped into my head because of this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-_G37EK1VU

Honey....what do you do for money?

• SpiritraiserSpiritraiser Member UncommonPosts: 175

Yep, like wow was groundbreaking with abilities and names!

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-_G37EK1VU

Honey....what do you do for money?

m/  /o  m/

..Cake..

• superussuperus Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by Spiritraiser

Yep, like wow was groundbreaking with abilities and names!

yep there you go.. anyone else want to prove the point?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

He could have more or less patched in the same skills from Everquest as well.

Let's face it, MMO devs like to copy and paste stuff others have already made and then pretend that they don't.

I wish some ARMA members made a MMO, combat mechanics made by someone who actually know a thing or 2 about combat.

• pieholepiehole Member UncommonPosts: 47

Originally posted by Loke666

Let's face it, MMO devs like to copy and paste stuff others have already made and then pretend that they don't.

I wish some ARMA members made a MMO, combat mechanics made by someone who actually know a thing or 2 about combat.

Yep! Like a staffmember from Rift said "Why repair something that isn´t broken?". If you are developing a mainstream mmo its only naturall to copy things you like from existing popular mainstream mmo:s. Makes it easier for the audience of this kinda games to get into them. Mainstream audience like it easy or else their heads gonna explode :P. Just kidding, like a lot of those games myself even though I get bored of them sometimes.

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

A mainstream MMO having mainstream MMO skills and mechanics shouldn't be a surprise. There are loads of non-mainstream MMOs out there and some of them are great, but they tend to get slated and laughed at because their populations aren't so strong and their productions values aren't up to AAA standards - which is why mainstream games have become so formulaic.

If you want something different try something different. You'll have to put up with dodgy graphics and animations, some of the design choices might be a touch flakey and you won't find a lot of polish to show off your gaming rig, but you'll find some real gems out there in that rough. Support those and you never know, some of their innovations might find their way into mainstream games.

AAA MMOs, with their AAA costs and AAA captive audience, will always play it safe. They'll only incorporate tried and tested features, so if you want to see innovative features in AAA MMOs try and test them outside of the mainstream.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

This goes beyond having general similar abilities, which could be understandable, it's a carbon copy.

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

Can you think of a successful AAA MMO that doesn't have those skills? Hell, I've seen them in plenty of non-AAA games, some that even pre-date WoW.

Reactives, PBAOEs, taunts, guards, charges, in-combat buffs - these have been MMO standards since forever.

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by Metentso

This goes beyond having general similar abilities, which could be understandable, it's a carbon copy.

How can you call it a carbon copy? They are similar yes but not exactly like each other. Hey GW2 theives get shadowstep and steal, they must be copying wow to.

In Bioware we trust!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Loke666

Really? Name me the class and skills which are this close match in any other game?

I mean sure there will always be some overlap with other games but this is close to 100% overlap which means it was a shameless copy/paste.

And people say this game is not a WoW clone... gees.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

{mod edit}

That's insane man. But then again, saying that a game is a WoW clone seems to be a bannable offense, even though it is true.

Ok. I posted before without actually reading this, and as the Sith Warrior is the class I've played the least, I didn't really know their abilities.

A few things I noticed about this image:

Total Number of abilities listed: 14

Total Number of abilties that the Sith Warrior has in game: 59 according to http://db.darthhater.com/abilities/class_abilities/sith_warrior/   This includes the warrior's base abilities and abilities from both advanced classes. 

Total Number of Warrior abilities in WoW according to http://www.wowhead.com/spells=7.1  49.

Total percent of abilities from both games represented in this picture: 26%.

Total percent of Sith Warrior abilities represented from both AC's: 23%

Edited to correct my math error. Thanks InFaVilla

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

Originally posted by dubyahite

Yeah I kept noticing the same thing when I played a warrior in rift, kept calling abilities by their wow names because it was the same.

On the other side of the coin, however, that is only 14 abilities. The person who made this image decided to be selective and only show ones that were the same as wow, while leaving out the different ones.

Its been a while since I've played wow, but look at the taunt for example, it has a PvP effect. I don't think wow has that. There are lots of other differences in how the classes play.

Does wow have a stealth healer that can use cover and melée dps? Nope.

It's easy to look at the similarities and ignore the differences that don't fit your viewpoint, but there many differences.

Now before you start calling me names and raging out, I'm not trying to say that this game is ultra revolutionary or breaks the mold completely or anything like that, but several advanced classes play quite differently than wow characters. Even the ones that are very similar, sorc for example is very much like a healing priest in corruption and shadow priest in madness, but is more like a Mage when specced lightning.

The picture is all in fun, I get that, but it doesn't give you a good representation of all the class abilities ( maybe half of them).

But yeah, har har it's like wow. I wonder how many of those abilities wow copied from other games?

Hah you are simply unbelievable. Just look at your first and second sentence: Rift has the same abilities as wow and then the person who made this image is leaving our the diferent ones for swtor. So Rift that has tons and tons of posible combinations made you think of wow in this game you find that only 14 abilities are the same.  {mod edit}

Originally posted by n3v3rriv3r

Originally posted by dubyahite

Ok. I posted before without actually reading this, and as the Sith Warrior is the class I've played the least, I didn't really know their abilities.

A few things I noticed about this image:

Total Number of abilities listed: 14

Total Number of abilties that the Sith Warrior has in game: 59 according to http://db.darthhater.com/abilities/class_abilities/sith_warrior/   This includes the warrior's base abilities and abilities from both advanced classes. 

Total Number of Warrior abilities in WoW according to http://www.wowhead.com/spells=7.1  49.

Total percent of abilities from both games represented in this picture: 12%.

{mod edit}

Incorrect. I only come here when I'm at work. 

Edit: What you should be worrying about is how much work I'm not doing at my job while I'm on this forum.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

Originally posted by Hrimnir

Originally posted by Nazgol

How can you call it a carbon copy? They are similar yes but not exactly like each other. Hey GW2 theives get shadowstep and steal, they must be copying wow to.

Jesus, i bet you were the moron in high school arguing with your english teacher that your paper wasnt plagiarised because you changed 5% of the words from a paper you directly copied from the internet, or a friend, etc.

Yes, by strict pedanctic definition of the term carbon copy, its not a carbon copy.  But it is a blatant copy.  Most of the abilities operate identically and the ones that dont are barely different.  The names are just variations of the same thing.  Like saying "steel breastplate" instead of "steel chestplate", etc.

Its just an embarassing joke of a game.

So you try to insult me then admit I am right? Wow some counter arguement there.

In Bioware we trust!

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Jesus, i bet you were the moron in high school arguing with your english teacher that your paper wasnt plagiarised because you changed 5% of the words from a paper you directly copied from the internet, or a friend, etc.

Yes, by strict pedanctic definition of the term carbon copy, its not a carbon copy.  But it is a blatant copy.  Most of the abilities operate identically and the ones that dont are barely different.  The names are just variations of the same thing.  Like saying "steel breastplate" instead of "steel chestplate", etc.

So you try to insult me then admit I am right? Wow some counter arguement there.

Reading. Comprehension.

The point is you got on his ass for using the term "carbon copy" when for all intents and purposes it is a friggin carbon copy.  My point was that trying to devalue someone's post by being captain pedantic is aburd and frankly stupid.

That likes a lawyer trying to get his client off by saying "well the prosecution said he raped her for 2 hours, he only raped her for 1 hour and 58 minutes, so clearly, they are wrong".  The point is he still raped her.  Does this make sense now, or should i draw a picture and color it for you?

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Reading. Comprehension.

The point is you got on his ass for using the term "carbon copy" when for all intents and purposes it is a friggin carbon copy.  My point was that trying to devalue someone's post by being captain pedantic is aburd and frankly stupid.

That likes a lawyer trying to get his client off by saying "well the prosecution said he raped her for 2 hours, he only raped her for 1 hour and 58 minutes, so clearly, they are wrong".  The point is he still raped her.  Does this make sense now, or should i draw a picture and color it for you?

So the skills have different names, different cooldowns and different, but granted similar functions, and it is a carbon copy? I think your the one that needs a picture drawn for you.

In Bioware we trust!

This discussion has been closed.