Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The 2011 Player’s Choice Winners

Comments

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

In other genres, GOTY is limited to games released that year.

If it's best MMO ever, EvE loses, best MMO released this year, EvE doesn't qualify...so basically, the award is null, even moreso due to the fact that when i played, you would have the 'rally' thread on the official forums with people encouraged to make alt accounts to vote.

Yes, it's that sad.

• CalennandCalennand Member Posts: 1

I try a lot of game, i play a lot of games, but i never felt the need to vote for the games i played back in time, I did it with eve tho, why? because i think it really deserve it.

true, i'm an eve fanboy, but that's for a good reason.

I still think that eve is the only one that deserve the status of MMOG and that no other game can compete with it (and it should deserve the "most innovative" even after all those years). eve is the most complete game out there and that's why it deserve to win over anything else. (it is not perfect, but is closer to perfection than others).

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Only disagreement I have is putting Rift over Glitch, but I put that down to market unawareness of Glitch. I am pleased it was nominated tbh.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Tbh, if EvE wasnt looking at a ship with a black background for 90% of the time, i would sub for life.

I love complexity - I studied this game and it's systems extensively,i even wrote a program to run alongside it.
    I love the minimilist and Sleak UI
    I love the systems in place
    I love the freedom
    I even love the models and textures.

But what i cannot stand is visually, it is stupendously dull and lonely. You just look at your ship and another, briefly until it blows up, then back to darkness...loneliness. And to really get involved, you must sign a contract to make it your second job. I have spreadsheets open at work now, i don't need that at home too.

• TomShredsTomShreds Member Posts: 72

BEST HYBRID MMO – LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

Deserved, except would be better with more maps, what the fuck? Does people always play those same maps all over again EVERYTIME?!

RISING STAR AWARD – THE SECRET WORLD

Well done, I've been waiting for this game for a long time. I only really hope that Funcom won't give us a load of crap instead of a game with great potential.

MOST INNOVATIVE – RIFT

Okay... So-so I'd say. They DID enhance the "WoW-experience" in my opinion. But what's so innovative in enhancing? Instant Adventures? Rift? These are just examples of enhancing, not innovation. Minecraft in the beginning was an innovation, EVE is an innovation of the MMORPG genre, etc. But still, Trion is working their asses very very hard as we all saw in 2011. So I guess in the end, they deserve it.

MOST ANTICIPATED – GUILD WARS 2

Surely deserved. But as time goes by, I'm starting to worry about it. At first I was sure it would be the best game ever but as time flows, I see some little things that I don't like but still all my hopes are in GW2 to dethrone every other MMOs. I really believe in it, this could seriously be the game that a lots of us have been waiting for, or not.

GAME OF THE YEAR – EVE ONLINE

All I've seen in 2011 about EVE have been crap stuff, people complaining over and over again about it. So as Vegetto said forums fanbois have been heard.

That is what I think of these results. They seems pretty accurate and compared to the other 2011 choices awards, no one seemed to get paid to get an award! ;-) hahahaha

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Antemortem

All I've seen in 2011 about EVE have been crap stuff, people complaining over and over again about it. So as Vegetto said forums fanbois have been heard.

That is what I think of these results. They seems pretty accurate and compared to the other 2011 choices awards, no one seemed to get paid to get an award! ;-) hahahaha

As I understand it, CCP had to cut it's development on WoD and Dust 514 to pay for this award.

Just saying.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by Vegetto

Tbh, if EvE wasnt looking at a ship with a black background for 90% of the time, i would sub for life.

I love complexity - I studied this game and it's systems extensively,i even wrote a program to run alongside it.

I love the freedom

But what i cannot stand is visually, it is stupendously dull and lonely. You just look at your ship and another, briefly until it blows up, then back to darkness...loneliness. And to really get involved, you must sign a contract to make it your second job. I have spreadsheets open at work now, i don't need that at home too.

You're looking at the game too much, its not so much about the visual environment and more about what you can do to other people/groups. 

Stop seeing empty space and start looking at it like a candyland where pinatas full of loot i.e. other players can come skipping along and right into your jaws. Or even if not full of loot another statistic to add to your permanent combat record. Further allowing you to smack/shit talk in game chat or forums etc. Most of the fun comes from "pwning" other players, you don't have to commit to the game to do that, you just have to commit when you are logged in, and why not, beating other human beings in a game is infinitely more satisfying than beating some NPCs.

Making other people react to you is fun even if you don't "catch" them:

[00:11:03] Calfis > Srsly Cana?

[00:11:12] Calfis > u just cloaked ur drake? for real?

[00:11:18] Cana Ferro > lol

[00:11:28] Calfis > damn bro u must be mad scared

[00:11:30] Cana Ferro > call it a travel fit if u want

[00:11:43] Calfis > what am i gunna do to u realistically?

[00:11:46] Cana Ferro > not scared really

[00:12:00] Calfis > then why cloak?

[00:12:19] Cana Ferro > i like to show off

[00:12:32] Calfis > that u can cloak at any sign of other people?

[00:12:45] Calfis > im impressed

• keyboardhackkeyboardhack Member Posts: 2

eve is not a bad game. it's a great game because there is so many things you can do.if you don't want to look at your ship all the time then you can earn isk(eve money) from marked diffrences.

and even so that eve had a bad time in the middle of the year beacuse alot of players didn't want P2W into the game, then CCP listened and learned from it. don't know any other game where the company behind actually do as the plays tell them.

btw they also just released a great expansion to the game!

the only reason that alot of people in here hate eve is beacuse that eve always wins GOTY and they want their game to win and get the adward but they dont realize that EVE ACTUALLY IS the BEST GOTY. go try it out if you haven't played it instead of hating it and if you alreadt tried it and you still hate it, then that is where we are diffrent.

btw all of you peep that says that the eve players gets stuff from voting on eve can GT!O of here because that is actually against the MMO.com rules so how did eve win if that was true?

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I have always loved Eve, for many years, but I don't think it deserved game of the year this time.  It was actually a pretty crappy year for Eve imo.  We had the whole RMT debacle, the humungous let down of Incarna, the failed initial transition to new forums that had a huge security hole, the firing of quite a few people...I could go on (actually not sure if all those things were 2011, felt it like though).  Not a great year for CCP or Eve imo.  Was not a great year (AGAIN) for MMO's in particular either...

• erittainvarmerittainvarm Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Skranken

Seems like good results.

Even tho I do not play EVE anymore I can understand why it is voted game of the year.

Every year since i joined this site? (or feels like it). i.e. in comparison to games released in 2011, it wins based purely on expansions?

They should just give it it's own award called "EvE is so awesome, it doesn't need an award" award, and omit it from everything else, as it's getting ridiculous now.

Well expansions in EVE are different than wow expansios as you should know. EVE wins because it's continously evolving as a game, and not just getting more same old content in game as most of the other mmorpgs.

This year was very critical for EVE's future. Basically the summer expansion made EVE players feel like EVE is going to be too much about walking in stations near future and there were dozens of nasty problems waiting for fix in the space side already. Well, CCP believed the gamers after mass unsubcriptions and changed the course completely. Crucible expansion and couple other smaller patches made like 300 small fixes and dozen big fixes made EVE so much better and EVE's future develope course seems bright. Now that time dilation is up  you are probably going to hear about new records breaked in simultanious players in one battle.

And as someone already said, I think EVE is really the only title which really deserves the name MMORGP

• bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221

Not sure why I even bothered clicking this link...

• TommiJyurroTommiJyurro Member Posts: 51

Cmon, for hardcore gamers, EVE is heaven.  Where else is a pvp fight numbering 700 people or less considered small?

Anything new here? Hmmm... Nope. o/

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I believe i have a wrong understanding of the term innovation - looking at Rift as innovative game with much irritation...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• RiffixRiffix Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Greenzor

@Vegetto';s Definition of fanboy: Peeps liking a game HE doesn't like.  

I like EvE, played it for a long time.

Is it year after year the best game ever released, in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 & 2011? Perhaps not.

I would say your question holds the answer, EVE is like an MMO DOT (damage over time) that is stronger than just about anything that has been released since.

Of subscription-based MMOs, they have the system that is probably best in existence: you pay a small (comparatively, I think it is $20) up front cost and after that your monthly sub entitles you to all new content released for as long as you pay. And new players benefit from being able to enter the game with the same small up front cost and get access to all the content that has been released, not just the expansions they've paid for. 

Additionally, unlike many MMOs which are released and then have a "maintenenance" level dev team behind upkeep of the game, CCP has pretty much their whole staff working on EVE  the way most compaines work in the MMO before it is launched. This compounds the potency of my first point.

They sure as hell don't get it right all the time, the game is seriously niche, but they have staying power. Not to mention that they were able to turn their late 2011 expansion into a huge win after the summertime exapnsion debacle which NEVER happens in MMOs. Usually, you hear about how X company screwed the pooch and it is in constant decline after that.  All this translates into a game that the players love. Hell, I still know lots of people who play WoW and not a single one of them would vote it for game of anything, it's just something they do. 

• usrevengeusrevenge Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by MyPreciousss

@Vegetto agree, looks like fanbois invasion destroyed common sense. Oh well it's mmorpg.com ;)

Not hating EVE at all but tbh Rift was out in 2011 did nearly everything right and EVE released long ago and created a lot of controversy with their leaks and didn't do anything special in 2011 so RIFT should be considered the best mmo of 2011 imo.

And Rift just made it with 0.5% before SWTOR as the most innovative mmo. Seriously RIFT had many more core mmo functionalities and new cool ones like invasions and rifts invading a zone and killing npcs and fighting one another.

And I don't understand why mmorpg.com said they can't put SWTOR as best game for 2011 because it released on 20th of december but still put it in Most innovative category.

This poll is a failure.

Eve online does something no other mmo does..

SWTOR , RIFT, and just about every other mmo is WoW with (insert thing that they market here)

face it. if you like MMO's you play Eve online, or you play  a game that is probably wow or one of its many clones.

will eve be the best mmo in years to come?  not sure.. planetside 2 might be really good, but so far nothing has been spectacular in them mo world.

maybe if they remake star wars galaxies (before NGE) we will have something to write home about, but i won't hold my breath.

• NormantisNormantis Member Posts: 26

I voted for Eve because that is what I play. For me, voting for anything else would be like voting Mc Donalds as the best burger in town. 

• AkrasjelAkrasjel Member UncommonPosts: 6

Woting on EVE was legit, not our fault that people that play other games don't thing there game deserwes the award.

• ets4lifeets4life Member Posts: 1

Just wanted to let you know vegetto if you havent played the recent Crucible expansion that its not just ship on black backround anymore im assuming that you havent played since the intruduction of the nebulas which graphically look amazing,you should take up eve for one of there offers for returning peeps and give it another try atleast a day and see what im talking about.There is a reason that players are coming back in droves.

I love the freedom

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185

Originally posted by Akrasjel

Woting on EVE was legit, not our fault that people that play other games don't thing there game deserwes the award.

or some people dont make 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc accounts just to troll post and vote their game up.  Your account seems fishy

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357

I don't usually log on to post, but to those complaining about EVE, it's called the player's choice, and for better or worse, EVE does a lot better job of getting it's players to respond to things like this than most games. While some people may end up making additional accounts to try to tip the vote, that is possible for people who support other games to do as well, so that particular argument tends to be a wash. In the end, more EVE players show up to vote than players for others games. If you really feel another game should win, get your fellow players to show up and vote. Until you do so, EVE will continue to win.

It also helps a lot that while it is far from perfect, CCP has been able to provide a solid, reliable game that requires only the initial cost and the montly subscriptions. For everything they do wrong, they manage to do something else right, and even if people who play it aren't thrilled with every decision CCP makes, they are generally able to live them, get over them, and move on the the aspects of the game they like. This is a big factor in EVE's success, and one that drives EVE's success in votes such as this.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

No game made now or in the next 10 years will win over EvE in best game.

That is because any time any site has a vote award, it is linked on the Official Forums and they come in droves to vote, usually whilst they are 'waiting' for something to happen ingame :)

Never say something like that.

If nothing else CCPs own World of darkness online have a lot of potential.

Besides, it is sad anough that a game from 2003 win that award 2011, if the same thing is true for 2021 the genre probably would be dead.

There are plenty of games in the making, and some are actually very innovative (like Class 4). One or another more or less must beat Eve.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

No game made now or in the next 10 years will win over EvE in best game.

That is because any time any site has a vote award, it is linked on the Official Forums and they come in droves to vote, usually whilst they are 'waiting' for something to happen ingame :)

ArcheAge will.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by yutty

or some people dont make 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc accounts just to troll post and vote their game up.  Your account seems fishy

I don´t think so. Eve is different from the rest of the games while most of them more or less are the same game reskinned. That means that votes on Eve are focused while someone likeing a regular themepark can vote on a whole bunch of similar games.

Now, if there were more games that felt unique the vote might have gone differently. Eve is not my favorite game but I still think it deserved it for being different from the rest of them. Being innovative and thinking outside the box should be awarded.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

People are crying because EVE has won on multiple occassions... So I am assuming that people want some kind of rule in place that prevents a game winning just because it has won before?

Instead of crying "FIX!!!!!", perhaps people should look at the piss poor WoW clones that have come out over the last few years have a bit of a think as to why it is easy for EVE to dominate the best mmorpg poll year on year.

Perhaps part of the reason RIFT didn't win the best game is because a great deal of it's players are more likely to be looking at jumping ship to the next "big thing" (SWTOR/GW2/whatever) then voting for it in a poll. Which tells you a great deal.

To be brutally honest I'd be far more likely to cry foul if EVE didn't win it year on year given the steaming pile of crap that most recent mmorpgs have been.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• AkrasjelAkrasjel Member UncommonPosts: 6

Originally posted by yutty

Originally posted by Akrasjel

Just beacause "your game" didn't win you acuse us for not playing "fair".