Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: New Video Looks to the Future

13»

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

These UI changes and guildbank should have been in Patch 1.1 !

Maybe... just maybe... a little more people might have actually subbed to the game.

Do they really think people are going to wait till March for patch 1.2 to finally have a decent UI and a guildbank? /facepalm

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

"we always listen to the comunity"

bullshit.

Comunity warnned them long ago this 1.1 crap wouldnt work, that there are loads of important stuff to be fixed..

bunch of liars.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

SWTOR is going to be around for a very long time anyone who doesn't think so is just deluding themselves.

And not i don't have a crystal ball, it's just comman sense.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

This video made me feel bad for Bioware and the developers.

It became clear pretty quickly that the game really needed another 6 to 12 months before it launched. Bioware now finds itself in the position where they have to spin as amazing features we may see sometime in the future, but should have been in the game for launch. Sad.

I've brought this point up before, but "Rise of the Rakghouls"? Seriously? It's an idea that never should have made it out of the brainstorming phase. To find out that they have spent a year developing the story line and associated content sort of makes me nauseous. Rakghouls are by far the most annoying, ill conceived and idiotic mob type in the game and someone thought it would be a good idea to base an Epic Story around them?

Finally, very, very appropriate that the developer in the video couldn't look us in the eye as he emotionlessly recited the company spin. The whole thing reminded me of a hostage video where someone is forced to say how bad their country of origin is and how wonderful the enemy is. I wonder if his job was being held hostage in order to force him to sit down and read the script. (Oh, and the constant disclaimers take the cake, basically, don't get your hopes up on anything shown in the video).

Wow. If I was a SWTOR developer at any level, I think I'd be getting my resume and references together with the intent of getting off that sinking ship asap.

Seems like it didn't take long for EA to kill Bioware. I hope EA will at least bring in grief councilors for the Bioware folks. :(

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Just wanted to say some thing, I keep typing  then deleting it.  The video didnt seem out of the normal for some one to act to me, I mean honestly are you guys being serious?  hehe, but anyway SWTOR is currently my favorite game for anyone deciding on wether or not to buy and I play just about every pc game.  Its the first game Iv played in a long time that gives you that feeling of new territory, something fresh and exciting. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

nice video, finally a UI scaling / moving and guild banks. I hope they also work on open world pvp in some way

• zytinzytin Member UncommonPosts: 202

I have to wait two months for them to let me SCALE the UI (all at once, and not seperately) and move the elements around...But No additional action bars or ability  to adjust their slots, direction and individual size?  

Why don't they just allow mods?  

I've been playing this game for two weeks and currently have a charaqcter at 33.  So far it feels more like a single player game with some multi player features, such as once in a while I'll come accross someone who will actually talk on the general channel, or will be on the same level or in the same area and will actually want to group up.  I usually have to wait hours to find people who want to join a heroic, and since I have no interest in standing around an intrance area or heroic 2+ area waiting for other people to come by (again because no one ever talks on the general channel), I tend to just go back to my main racial quests and end up off the planet before anyone else comes along that wants to do heroics.  

This game has fun and interesting storylines, and the voice acting is enjoyable and pulls me into the game.  It just is frustrating the lack of community features they have, and the very very crappy UI and their unwillingness to allow modders to work on it.  Seriously?  2 months?  I'll only play until I finish the character's story.  I really don't see the point of paying 15 bucks a month to keep playing a game that doesn't provide me with anything but more time to play out other stories, all of which don't require teams to help me.  I could just unsub and set this game up on a personal server and play the rest of it out..

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by fiontar

It became clear pretty quickly that the game really needed another 6 to 12 months before it launched. Bioware now finds itself in the position where they have to spin as amazing features we may see sometime in the future, but should have been in the game for launch. Sad.

I've brought this point up before, but "Rise of the Rakghouls"? Seriously? It's an idea that never should have made it out of the brainstorming phase. To find out that they have spent a year developing the story line and associated content sort of makes me nauseous. Rakghouls are by far the most annoying, ill conceived and idiotic mob type in the game and someone thought it would be a good idea to base an Epic Story around them?

Finally, very, very appropriate that the developer in the video couldn't look us in the eye as he emotionlessly recited the company spin. The whole thing reminded me of a hostage video where someone is forced to say how bad their country of origin is and how wonderful the enemy is. I wonder if his job was being held hostage in order to force him to sit down and read the script. (Oh, and the constant disclaimers take the cake, basically, don't get your hopes up on anything shown in the video).

Wow. If I was a SWTOR developer at any level, I think I'd be getting my resume and references together with the intent of getting off that sinking ship asap.

Seems like it didn't take long for EA to kill Bioware. I hope EA will at least bring in grief councilors for the Bioware folks. :(

The video is from the march update. and u know? no other MMO at launch got the content that you can find in the game now, did you remember, rift, AoC, AIon, War, WoW, etc etc etc and more etc. BW and SWtor are far far far away from dying, thats only the hater point of view, and even you know how wrong it is

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Kuinn

Originally posted by Inflix

How about  Star Wars with ships - in space???

Havent you seen the movies? The space scenes are only short on-rails shooters while the main action and storylines happens on ground on different planets and locations. :P

It's astounding to me that people bitch about this.  Most of the best SW games ever made had no space gameplay AT ALL.  And the only stand out space games were X-wing, Tie Fighter, and X-wing alliance.

I want a more substantive space game too, but to treat the weak amount space gameplay like, "duh!  How could they have left that out!" is clearly a shifting of standards from a troll-in-waiting.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by hikaru77

Originally posted by fiontar

The video is from the march update. and u know? no other MMO at launch got the content that you can find in the game now, did you remember, rift, AoC, AIon, War, WoW, etc etc etc and more etc. BW and SWtor are far far far away from dying, thats only the hater point of view, and even you know how wrong it is

It's all about priorities.  I'll take a game with lots of content and fun gameplay AT LAUNCH over a game lacking in content but has guild banks and other Xtra's that no other game had at launch, save maybe Rift; a solid but inarguably small game.

It's clear BW focused more on the trip than the destination at launch, as they should have.  Most of their players have yet to touch lvl 50, myself included.  This was never a game I was interested in zerging. 

• RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212

Everyone on this site needs to just go post on Guild Wars 2's forums. Getting so old.

• StruggsStruggs Member Posts: 205

Originally posted by abyss404
    Heh, I love coming to this website from time to time to read the pathetic trolls looking for any excuse to bash this game. My friends, family, and I are loving the game and see no reason we won't continue to for a long time to come.

Well that can only mean two things: You are a biodrone and a fanboi. You aren't really enjoying the game ;)

I am having fun as well can't wait to see these changes, I am also excited about the part they stated about opening up your galaxy map and seeing possible random events happening.

imageimage

• peteski123peteski123 Member UncommonPosts: 447

I agree that this all should of been in release, its nothing new and should of been expected rather than look at us we are listening to you and adding what you asked for, did we need to really ask for this basic stuff?

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Awesome vid =-) Cant wait for the 6 month mark to see what BW does with polish. The seem to be right on track. Keep up the good work BW!

• zWolfzWolf Member Posts: 88

I'm really emjoying the Game, can't wait for more!  I think most folks harping on 'lack of features' must be youngsters, I've been playing MMO's since UO, and TOR has the 'most' at the start than any I can recall.  

Mosto of the comparisons, are being made to games that have been out for years.  I really think that Bioware is going to be quickly adding features over the next manny months, and years that will set ToR up as 'THE' defacto game.

That said... I'm really looking forward to GW2. :-)

Thank you,

zWolf -out.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Originally posted by zWolf

I'm really emjoying the Game, can't wait for more!  I think most folks harping on 'lack of features' must be youngsters, I've been playing MMO's since UO, and TOR has the 'most' at the start than any I can recall.  

Mosto of the comparisons, are being made to games that have been out for years.  I really think that Bioware is going to be quickly adding features over the next manny months, and years that will set ToR up as 'THE' defacto game.

That said... I'm really looking forward to GW2. :-)

Games do not get years or months to develop anymore.  People expect some features as being given in games.  Would you buy a car with no power windows, but they promise to maybe have them a few months in the future..or would you just buy a car with power windows now.  While power windows are not a hugh issue for some they are deal breaking for others.  If the game is talking about adding features other games have now later...the new game is already behind the ball.

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

Originally posted by kalinis

i dont think u can do anything about faction inbalance, They tried to stay ahead of this a bit with guild placement and that didnt work to well.

if  2/3 of the players wanna play empire u cant force them to play republic so there isnt really anything they can do to fix this. 

unless they add a third faction which since they almost did it for launch they may do so in future, 

The legacy thing they have stated that u will be able to pick the relationship every character has to another in your legacy. 

how far this goes i dont know but if say u can pick to have zabrak as part of the legacy family and a human but they are part of the same legacy as best freinds or something i dont know how that will work as i dont work at bioware, I just know that they have stated they dont have to actualy be blood relatives.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Adoption - fixed!

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

At the moment I can not talk on Pvp as I could not care less then I actually do on this topic, none of my 8 alts is at max at end game ... but in any other possible sense game really rocks! Can not remember when I had so much fun in long years. And being decades fan of sw series .... I really enjoy every  second I'm in game, questing or just wandering around. I feels just so "swish". :-)

So far for long years It looks all i will need to cover my gaming needs will be trio wow, rift and now swtor.

• ValecruizValecruiz Member UncommonPosts: 21

1.  Pretty sure we've seen enough volleys between the trolls and legitimate consumers to understand that, if you're too young to remember an MMO before World of Warcraft (plus Burning Crusade), then QQ and either STFU or GTFO.

2.  Of course the guy is probably under pressure, you work nearly 2-3 years on a beautiful new world full of amazing story and concepts...and then a large percentage of your fanbase treats it like garbage.  Pretty much sets up the whole "abusive relationship" dynamic as clear as day.

3.  QQ about spaceships and space battles.  If you wanted a game that spent a primary focus on being in outerspace (rather than on the planets actually doing shit), I hear Star Trek just went Free-to-Play.

4.  No game will ever appease everyone, that's not the point.  If you dislike what BW is doing, gracefully bow out instead of whining like a spoiled child (if you are actually a spoiled child, proceed to kick your mother in the cooter for spawning you).  In the words of the great Talahasse (Zombieland), "It's time to nut up or shut up" fellow players.

Balance Over All

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Anyone notice how this guy only blinks 3 times during his 32s of screen time, just doesn't look natural. Some say that the absence of blinking is an indicator of deceit. Then again excessive blinking is also known as a sign of deceit.

I must be sociopath to notice these things. Doesn't change the fact that everything in his last segment of screen time seems entirely fake, almost like he is forcing himself to say it.

On another note, does anyone else think that the sub-plot to the last episode of House has an extreme relevance towards TOR players?

• ZinderinZinderin Member Posts: 51

Yeah ... over my years of playing MMO's I've seen this over and over and over from these companies....

They have MAJOR problems they do not know how to fix, they simply refuse to listen to the customers, they are under the gun with not only the 30 days wonders canceling their subscriptions, but the people who should be staying but aren't because of the bugs .... so they start to early releases of content that is not done.

This is 2012 for God's sake ... this game should  have never been released without a Guild Bank, or without a GUI you can customize, and the graphic's asset management of the planets is the worse I'm seen in recent games .... and they make this sound like we're supposed to be impressed with this stuff.

This was  BioWare!!!!   Well, clearly it wasn't, it was Mythic with BioWar'es brand slapped on the team ... and they created a game that was less stable, less complete, that Warhammer Online was.

Totally pathetic, and I'm completely turned off.  

I am giving them this month to get their head around the graphics issues, address this lag they have (especially in the warzones), then I'm cancelling .... and not because of the money, and not really because of the gameplay, but because of the frustration of the textures dropping, the graphics eventually corrupting (over a period of an hour or so, causing you to have to relog), and the lag in the warzones.  

OMG, the lag in the warzones.