Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Walking in stations - ever?

cdude93cdude93 Member Posts: 31

Sorry, I just resubbed and even though I understand that few hardcore eve players want incarna's avatars to be the focus of the game (neither do I), I was still looking forward to some of the features and being able to walk around and mingle with other players face to face. 

Has this been completely scrapped, or is it on hold, will it ever be finished? Just curious as a returning player. Thanks!

Comments

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

Probably on hold until they tweak all the "little things" with flying in space since that is the meat of the game (aka where all the pwn happens). Looks like a lot of their energy is now being focused on faction warfare.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

They strayed too far from their bread and butter, and needed to get back to the space portion of the game.

Other than that, after many years, "Walking in Stations" was a complete catastrophe for CCP.  The "gameplay", if it can be called that, was essentially non-existent, and the performance was an absolute joke.  Not sure what they were thinking, other than it might have been a testbed for World of Darkness, which has coincidentally also been put on the back burner, perhaps permanently.

Honestly, I think they now realize how badly they screwed the pooch with it, and in my opinion, it'll be a long, long time before they address that topic again, if ever.  What an embarrassment!

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Avatars were and are needed for the future success of this game. What we have now sucks, I cannot deny that but it is a crucial first step to having Avatar based gameplay in EVE and hopefully to some story. My only problem is it feels like Dust and World of Darkness is/was getting too much attention and EVE is suffer via the space game. I really do not understand why CCP were trying to stretch their budget so much over three games, two of which aren't out and aren't making money.

Dust will fail in it's current form and CCP really need to bring it to the PC to make it a success. 

• orsonstfuorsonstfu Member Posts: 203

Avatars will be released in 2019.. give or take a century.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by orsonstfu

Avatars will be released in 2019.. give or take a century.

This.

Also, WiS was part of DUST and/or WoD developement.  It will be implimented into EvE at some point Soon(tm).

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

My guess is later this year (2012). 

DUST is released this summer, so there must be some way that Eve's pilots and ground-pounders can meet up.

Holding face-to-face meetings in orbital stations etc. 

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

Incarna was nearly the death of eve. CCP done the right thing by shelving it.

Eve is a space game all about space ships, and a awful lot of eve players don't want this to change, I don't want this to change.

There is a bucket load of MMO's out there were you can dress up your character and take them for a walk, and thank God, eve is not one of them.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Originally posted by Crosswire

Eve is a space game all about space ships, and a awful lot of eve players don't want this to change, I don't want this to change.

There is a bucket load of MMO's out there were you can dress up your character and take them for a walk, and thank God, eve is not one of them.

The implementation of Incarna was a disaster, not the idea of avatars or WIS itself. Had they not implemented the store, forced players into their avatars and actually introduced avatars as an actual functioning part of the game as opposed to the pointless gimmick it currently is, who knows, it may have been a hit.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830

Originally posted by Paradigm68

The implementation of Incarna was a disaster, not the idea of avatars or WIS itself. Had they not implemented the store, forced players into their avatars and actually introduced avatars as an actual functioning part of the game as opposed to the pointless gimmick it currently is, who knows, it may have been a hit.

I hope that they will release a lot of the content they planned for WiS such as the cantinas, corp offices,  and the Sec Wars. They should release bit by bit on their test server, get the feedback,and go from there. I also wanted the players to craft "everything" that has to do with the WiS.  Players should be able to craft and sell all these items for avatars. Just a thought.

Spaceships is the main focus but hell, a science game where you terraform a planet or even garden a bioshspere on an asteroid with an avatar game is every Eve Online.  I guess I still want to be Uncle Owen.

Eve still has the possibility to be even more amazing piece by piece. They certainly have the talent and technology. 

imagesec wars

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Still, many people love the space setting and everything about EVE, but they still like to play a  human-like avatar once in a while.

So I think EVE would attract more players if CCP expanded on the whole WIS thing, at least if they made it mean something - opened up social meeting places, markets, craftable interiors and clothes/vanity items, maybe even ship interiors (would be great to dock a friend's ship and see him face to face, for example). Needless to say this would not have to mean that those who prefer a strict ship game should be forced to leave their ships.

The current implementation sucks though, no question about it. Totally meaningless and, on top of that, not very smooth technically speaking.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

NOOOOO!

Walking on sunshine!

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109

I read somewhere that just before the launch of incarna the devs hadn't built the technology to have multiple players in an environment so it's unlikely that we will see it any time soon since they had difficulty getting the other CQs up and everyone seems to agree that space is once again the top priority.

No big loss in my eyes since there didn't seem to be any game in it anyway after they dropped in the item shop except buying over priced digital pants and walking around in them...

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

• FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

Originally posted by cdude93

Sorry, I just resubbed and even though I understand that few hardcore eve players want incarna's avatars to be the focus of the game (neither do I), I was still looking forward to some of the features and being able to walk around and mingle with other players face to face. 

Has this been completely scrapped, or is it on hold, will it ever be finished? Just curious as a returning player. Thanks!

It's on hold. CCP made the engine to walk in stations but for 90% of the players' PCs it caused severe overheating of their graphics cards. CCP's shareholders also decided that the game that engine was also meant for (World of Darkness) would be shelved for the time being with just a few devs still working on it.

While CCP had promised to bring actual bars and other means of interacting between player's avatars, this extreme strain on people's PCs made them - conveniently - shift attention from WiS to spaceships again, so called "because players were upset because CCP had introduced microtransactions". 

And yes, most veterans aren't interested in WiS, because those who did already left the game disappointed because CCP already announced it on a fanfest in 2006 (even with vids) - still without any tangible results thus far. The only thing they released was more captain's quarters but no content where players could actually interact. CCP also hasn't confirmed any suggestion that development on WiS will be taken up again in any nearby future.

So no, I wouldn't count on WiS/Ambulation in EVE the coming years. If at all.

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by Findariel
    Originally posted by cdude93

It's on hold. CCP made the engine to walk in stations but for 90% of the players' PCs it caused severe overheating of their graphics cards. CCP's shareholders also decided that the game that engine was also meant for (World of Darkness) would be shelved for the time being with just a few devs still working on it.

While CCP had promised to bring actual bars and other means of interacting between player's avatars, this extreme strain on people's PCs made them - conveniently - shift attention from WiS to spaceships again, so called "because players were upset because CCP had introduced microtransactions". 

And yes, most veterans aren't interested in WiS, because those who did already left the game disappointed because CCP already announced it on a fanfest in 2006 (even with vids) - still without any tangible results thus far. The only thing they released was more captain's quarters but no content where players could actually interact. CCP also hasn't confirmed any suggestion that development on WiS will be taken up again in any nearby future.

So no, I wouldn't count on WiS/Ambulation in EVE the coming years. If at all.

what people don't seem to realize is that there are more people who likes to see their avatar walking around and not just in a space ship. if one thinks that wis wont be beneficial to eve then that is where youre wrong. the wis soul purpose as ccp said was to enhance the social community of the game. and what does this mean to other mmo gamers out there or better yet console gamers. it would attract many people to playing the game because they can set up there shop while skills are being trained if they are done with mining or missioning for the day. the wis features had many positive influences in the social community of eve. that is why i fear that once star citizen is released it will also be the death of eve. just like gw2 is now the new it in themepark mmos. 

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    The "walking in stations" focus represents a tumultuous time in EVE history where the committed core players felt CCP had abandoned them and their concerns over features that might be more attractive to newer players.  It also came with the whole cash shop idea (which has been scrapped as far as I know).  It may be a long time if it's talked about, if it ever does get implemented.  According to the devs, it's 'not in full production right now'.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• BrotherDBrotherD Member Posts: 52
    My guess is never. if there comes more stuff along these lines it will most likely be building on Dust 514.

Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

Originally posted by Roxtarr
    The "walking in stations" focus represents a tumultuous time in EVE history where the committed core players felt CCP had abandoned them and their concerns over features that might be more attractive to newer players.  It also came with the whole cash shop idea (which has been scrapped as far as I know).  It may be a long time if it's talked about, if it ever does get implemented.  According to the devs, it's 'not in full production right now'.

really hope that they start working on it again cause it would work great with dust 514 as well. imagine a station and dust avatars interacting with other  eve captains. i mean i def think it would enhance the social economy of the game. it would attract different kinds of gamers. they still have plenty of time but each day that passes by is another donation earned by roberts fundraiser lol

Originally posted by Robokapp

I wouldn't mind it but space comes first.

I also wonder...how big is a station? what will my 0.0 station look like wih 20 people docked vs the jita 4-4 tation with 2,000 people docked?

its going to be big because 1 ccp fudged up on ship sizes and people sizes. so if u compare teh size of planet earth to planets in jita then it would def be smaller lol. so i think we need teleports like in star trek. ENERGIZE!!!

Originally posted by aligada87

I wouldn't mind it but space comes first.

I also wonder...how big is a station? what will my 0.0 station look like wih 20 people docked vs the jita 4-4 tation with 2,000 people docked?

its going to be big because 1 ccp fudged up on ship sizes and people sizes. so if u compare teh size of planet earth to planets in jita then it would def be smaller lol. so i think we need teleports like in star trek. ENERGIZE!!!

also 2000 people would appear small in a massive station like jita lol. probably even for your station it would still appear small

you know...the thing is even if they did screw up and might need to scrape it all...i'd rather have them screw up here than where it matters.

I FORGIVE THEM.

the rest of the game is running acceptably most of the time. If they want to try and fail in the RP/fluff department, as long as I can ship-spin if i want to, I say they can have at it. mistakes here are forgivable. their game was never really designed for this. make mistakes where it doesn't matter, Just don't make them in pvp or something like that.

if i have to fly my ship through a windshield in first person, we'll have a problem.

all im saying is i feel like im ina  jail cell in my capts quarter. and that door that has been closed for almost 2 fing yrs has freaking loud music playing in there. also i hear lots of moaning so i'm 100% positive ccp is having a party in there all times. they just dont wanna invite us

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Unfortunately, a good majority of the player base is 100% about space battles where the richest side wins which statios really do nothing but make in inconveinent to being able to amass gold and dominate space. Hopefully another space game comes along to put in those 'space ship walking' elements and really takes the space genre to a new more interesting level. Eve just is very unlikely to ever evolve that way due to its limited player base, the risk is far to great being how established it is as a 'Game Job' of sorts :)
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Unfortunately, a good majority of the player base is 100% about space battles where the richest side wins which statios really do nothing but make in inconveinent to being able to amass gold and dominate space. Hopefully another space game comes along to put in those 'space ship walking' elements and really takes the space genre to a new more interesting level. Eve just is very unlikely to ever evolve that way due to its limited player base, the risk is far to great being how established it is as a 'Game Job' of sorts :)

well if ccp doesn't have the full features of walking stations they promised us by time star citizen is released. so long eve for me and hello new space folks in star citizen. actually looking forward to that game. from what i read it's more hardcore then eve.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

My guess is later this year (2012). 

DUST is released this summer, so there must be some way that Eve's pilots and ground-pounders can meet up.

Holding face-to-face meetings in orbital stations etc. 

This would be the best optimistic guess.

The way I understood CQ is it was a pilot test for WoD avatar code and it failed. When Dust comes out the Dust engine will be used to make WiS an EVE feature.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Very optimistoc indeed.

Here is CCP's more or less official position:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2023395#post2023395

CCP Bayesian is the lead Dev for "Team Avatar" - the WiS project team

CCP Unifex is the Executive Producer for EVE (ie: he's literally the boss of EVE)

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I don't understand why they didn't put dust on PC. Also could have made it where eve players could access dust through the avatar room and could go back and forth if they wanted. Not against the ps3 release but it definitely should have been on PC.... PC shooters are IMO superior to consoles.