Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited: Entering the Forgotten Realms

Comments

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

Originally posted by Orizontas

DDO gets boring after you become level 20. Because this ain't got no PVP (don't even mention tavern PVP, everybody knows it sucks)

This is 100% true. DDO has pretty much nothing to offer to serious PvP players. But for the avid D&D p&p player it feels VERY familiar and is a ton of fun.

The free model gives you some content to play, but if you really enjoy the game I advice to go for a monthly subscription since it opens up the game entirely.

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Still instanced based crap.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by aovannor

Everyone is saying they want a forgotten realms D&D MMO.. everyone forgetting about Neverwinter?

http://www.playneverwinter.com/frontpage

This news actually made me forget about it, this is intresting news on a decent mmo. DDO has some of the best dungeons in the mmo industry.

Cryptic on the other hand is cryptic so from there last two releases one can expect the game to lack content. Not to mention this is a perfect world f2p game now, its a given any type of pvp in cryptics gane will be pay2win.

I'm not saying this will be better for sure, but i'd rather take my chances with turbine, then the incompetance of cryptic paired with the asian cash shop mentality of pw.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

If they redesign the starting areas in a Forgotten Realms setting, then I'll start up an account and try to play again. I just can't get into Ebberon at all, and I think a lot of D&D fans are in the same boat.

I've seen it written in the comments above as well, but I'll reiterate that if they had started with a classic setting like Forgotten Realms, I likely would have been glued to this game from the beginning.

• Jaro420Jaro420 Member Posts: 13

would hv been better news if they left Eberron for Forgotten Realms. Heck even Dark Sun...

I think that they arent thinking big enough. D&D wasnt just about Eberron - Forgotten realms - Dark Sun - Ravenloft - ect. If they had done somthing like kingdom hearts, where they took u to all the worlds. Have each setting a vast world not just  instances. they would hv a real winner.

• X-PorterX-Porter Member Posts: 229

Hate to be the downer here, but I think you're all getting a little too excited.

The Underdark predates the Forgotten Realms campaign setting by quite a few years. Classic modules like "Vault of the Drow" and "Queen of the Demonweb pits" were set in the World of Greyhawk, yet take place in the Underdark. I believe Eberron even has an Underdark of it's own. Underdark =/= Forgotten Realms, it seems to be a term adopted by TSR across most of their campaign settings.

Also, let's not forget what a crap job DDO did of trying to cram the entire D&D IP into one lousy city in a world no one liked to begin with.

Just saying.

• cybrinsanitycybrinsanity Member Posts: 106

so will this only be for max leveled characters to play through?? or can we start new characters in this setting? anyone know?

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ya there are more then one underdark city of drow (had forgotten about it till youm mention it!cant recall how many but i believe so far as i know there are 3 or 4 undedark city with different name then underdark,but they couldnt include those one is very north and the other if memory isnt failing is close to the wood elfes but under

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Still skeptic of this.  So finally after years n years of players wanting a class they finally decide to do it after a class that prolly not much demanded, the artificer.  Archery is still gimped and not to mention the numerous PrCs that are still not yet released.  Druid coming in all it's woodland glory?  Just like the Ranger eh?  Yeah... whatever....

My money is more on Neverwinter because A.  4e, people say it's "WoWified" but I honesty think it's the best edition for a DnD MMO.  B. Foundry, players CREATING adventures the the core of DnD and that is something Cryptic will have and prolly destroy DDO with.  C. Gear level remains to be seen, a major turnoff with DDO was the overabundence to magical items to ridiculousness and with the latest crafting it was retarded, all it did was enforce more Zerg Zerg Zerging.  Hopefully Neverwinter there will be less magical items abundance which it should to fit the setting of the Spellplauge.

While there are things goind against Cryptic for sure like their MMO reputation, the reputation of PW, but since both are F2P there is nothing that is stopping me from trying both.

Turbine has turned DDO into a giant grind fest that I got fed up.  If the did a reboot of the game as in DDO2 then would be all for, but if they are keeping with the old engine and mechanics I don't see it doing all that great.

Conspiracy theory is that Turbine is scared shitless of Neverwinter and are trying to come up with ways to compete.  They are prolly worried that Neverwinter will take a large chunk of DDO players away from em.  In short Turbine really needs to step up the ball game if they are gonna compete against Neverwinter. 

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682
    Awesome news go turbine !!!!! Real rpgs live !!!!!!!
  • ValasAzuviirValasAzuviir Member Posts: 27

Just a small correction.

The Underdark isn't just confined to the Forgotten Realms setting, as it also exists in Greyhawk's Oerth (see Gygax's D and G gaming module series). As well as on Eberron, where it's known as Khyber.

Having said that, I checked the DDO site and was lead to the expansion page, where it does state that characters are transported to Eveningstar in Cormyr. Might want to work that into your article, to help avoid confusion.

In addition, it will be interesting to see how the game handles the Drow characters from the Eberron setting in the Forgotten Realms, as their backstories differ a lot. In the former Drow are accepted even if they're deemed somewhat suspicious by the other races. Whereas in the Realms it's generally a Kill on Sight attitude, considering the regular occurrence of Drow Raiders.

Also religion wise they're quite different, while Vulkoor does share some similarities with Lolth, he's also the Drow version of the Entity known as The Mockery, who is part of the Dark Six.

Plus the over all history of the Drow of Eberron and the Realms differs a great deal. One is a former slave race created by the Giants experimenting with regular Elves and the essence of Khyber, whereas the other became corrupted due to Lolth's machinications which lead to the Crown Wars.

There's also no real proof (least not that I've seen) that the Elves or Dwarves of Eberron were created by the regular Creator Deities, whether it be the Seldarine for the Elves or the Morndinsamman for the Dwarves. Looks like that just as on Krynn, they're a local aberration who simply resemble their otherworldly counterparts. As Paladine created the Elves on Krynn, just as Reorx is considered the father of the Dwarves.

So that too will have to be addressed. Not as if the Torillian Elves are particularly fond of undead, while the Eberronian Elves worship a bunch of them. etc etc.

Mmo-R P Gs. Live!!!! Go turbine!!!!
  • VicDonneganVicDonnegan Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by tkobo

Looks like empty hype to me........

Now if they had said "We are putting an enormous amount of content based on the underdark into ddo.Players will be able to start OUT IN, and play ENTIRELY from level 1 to max in the underdark,experiencing a truely dark and dangerous world as its been presented in years of pnp content"

I probably would have said  "Okay, thats at least a good sales pitch,now lets see what they actually deliver"

But instead,all theyve really said is "Visit  our railed themepark version of the underdark in a small series of  adventures at some point during your chars badly done trip thru d&d's worst setting (ebberon),and experience "darkness" the equavilant to hello kitty online,from the dangerous and thrilling seat of our 'your char cant reaaly die or even suffer any measureable Inconvenience'  tour, as you wander from knocking on this door to the next  "

See, what I have highlighted in green, is probably (I don't klnow for sure) how it's going to play out. I'm GLAD that Turbine is expanding into Forgotten Realms, but like a few others have mentioned, I wish that they had just started DDO there from the get-go. To me, Eberron is a "Crystal Pepsi" campaign setting. It's okay for awhile, but gets old fast (just mho). I'm too burned out on it, at this point, to even try to work my way into The Underdark to see what all the fuss is about. Don't get me wrong....I hope it's great and well-executed, but just too little too late for me.

• VicDonneganVicDonnegan Member Posts: 106

Everyone is saying they want a forgotten realms D&D MMO.. everyone forgetting about Neverwinter?

I'd bet a lot of these folks want to play a Forgotten Realms MMO with the 3.5 ed. ruleset. Perfect World's version with be 4th (maybe 5th) ed. rules and well...it's Perfect World, who's initial are PW, which means: Pay - Win.

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

I just can't get into instanced play like DDO. If they actually had an open world of Forgotten Realms with the Underdark, i'd be there in a second.

I wouldn't touch Neverwiinter, it looks way too cartoony. I wouldn't be able to take it seriously.

Archlinux ftw

• Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170

this sounds jawesome! i've totally read some Drizzt novels and shibby and forgotten realms is way more familiar to me as a setting. i think it is FINALLY time i gave DDO a shot!

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by Omnifish

I thought they weren't allowed to go anywhere near the Forgotten Realms setting due to the licensing agreement? Or is there a 'Underdark', in Eberron as well?

Must admit I'm a tad confused, intrigued, but confused, and by 'intrigued', I mean I third on the crapping pants stage.

The Underdark was in modules long before their was a Forgotten Realm. I played the series PnP in the early 80's. Even had city of Menzo-notgoingtolookupspelling. It strted with a 3 module set Against the Giants, leading into 3 module set of the Underdark. I don't know if thats why they can use the location and lore of Underdark, but very excited to play it as I play DDO now anyways.

I played at launch, but didn't last long as the setting, bugs, and other problems/dev choices didnt thrill me, but since trying the ftp version 10 months ago, they've reeled me in. Now I sub $10 a month and loving the game. The rules are very close to PnP (can be complex for new peeps not used to PnP) and they've added tons of content-you can't get a good feel for it in ftp, as they ftp quests are mostly the original ones from launch and only small amount really show the quality they've created since then. You can sub or just buy the adv packs you want to try.

The quests are (imo) the funnest leveling in any game i've played (not grindy to me), and I was an Evercrack addict for many years. Thw classes have meaning beyond dealing damage and healing-Rogues actually have to disable traps (on elite lev they can wipe whole party), find secret doors, open locks, etc-not just dps and stealth. Spells are varied, where you could have 5 wizzie toons all completely different play styles with the huge amt and variety of spells. Plus Prestige classes, feats, enhancements, fighting styles, multi-classing make the classes playable in many different ways. Gear is important to molding your style, but their is no really needed gear-build, as long as you have decent gear for your level and supports your playstyle. Not much cookie cutter toons, but there are builds you can follow set by choosing type for your style where you get auto-build at new levels or follow builds from PC's in forums. But most build their own with choices at each level-you'll learn early if you gimp toon. And people are mostly helpful, but in Harbor (low lev, noob area) you will see some trying the ftp that are idiots, but they don't last long or make it much past that area.

Sorry, I know i sound like I work for Turbine and the post got away from me, but I'd like to see a lot of people give DDO a try, as I've had a lot of fun with it. If you need help and are on Khyber server and you have question or group, I'm Peapodd, or Myrmidian (guild Slammin). Look me up.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by Meltdown

Wow, DDO is looking better and better. Although did everyone just read the part about Forgetten Realms, pitch a tent and stop reading? Cosmetic pets... wtf? This seems like a cash shop square peg being forced into a round hole... maybe I'm just too removed from the game now to see where it has gone since I left...

If you sub, you start with all content, all but one race and one class-which you can play toi get. Also, you get a lot of points each month for the store. I've never spent a dime more than the $10/mo sub. I don't like cash shops my self, but if someone buying a pirate hat means we get more content, then I can live with it.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Once it launches, I'm in.

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

Originally posted by VicDonnegan

I'd bet a lot of these folks want to play a Forgotten Realms MMO with the 3.5 ed. ruleset. Perfect World's version with be 4th (maybe 5th) ed. rules and well...it's Perfect World, who's initial are PW, which means: Pay - Win.

Precisely what you said! Sure, I would love a Forgotten Realms, or Greyhawk, or a Dragonlance DDO, but the fact is that I want either 3.0 or 3.5 e ruleset, not the 4th one which this new "neverwinter" game will be using.

I'm perfectly fine with instancing and all, I think that's even required for a D&D MMO, especially with the level of technology what we possess.

We?re all dead, just say it.

Please forgive me for double posting, but for some reason I can't edit my post above and add the following:

Imagine what a bold move it would be of a developer to make either a fully turn based online experience of D&D (Wizards of the coast did that online pen&paper adaptation for 4th ed, right?) instead of a real-time with the d20 mechanics in the background.

I see the reasoning why DDO was made realtime, and why the rules were heavily adapted to the game, but I find Neverwinter Nights series combat more "tactical" than DDO. Sure, DDO has unique things like manual blocking stance, manually dodging projectiles and so forth, but NWN had that something else. We are talking about multiplayer here of course.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Sweet!

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by Metanol

Originally posted by VicDonnegan

Precisely what you said! Sure, I would love a Forgotten Realms, or Greyhawk, or a Dragonlance DDO, but the fact is that I want either 3.0 or 3.5 e ruleset, not the 4th one which this new "neverwinter" game will be using.

I'm perfectly fine with instancing and all, I think that's even required for a D&D MMO, especially with the level of technology what we possess.

Hate to break it to you but what makes 3.5e great is not translated over to MMOs, hell just look at how Turbine butchered it.  It is an utter disgrace to call that crap 3.5e.

Go ahead and hate 4e all you want but the fact remains that it is the best set of rules for DnD in an MMO.  PnP rules simpely does not transition well to comp gaming which 4e might be the comp gaming edition ticket.

Also it remains to be seen how PW will affect Neverwinter, everyone is simpely speculating.  Go post in guildwarsguru that aNet GW2 will fail because it's producer or publisher is NCSoft and don't be suprised if you get flammed on.

DDO is fun because of the amazing character customization... unheard of in todays AAA MMOs.

Multiclassing and planning your character out is tons of fun. Good news also is they are fixing the UI for doing it ( its pretty bad now ) and that should be out with this or around this time.

DDO is one of my staples and a great game. Yeah it has mad instancing which does get closterphobic at times but the character customization part is pure WIN.

The dungeons rock as well, what happened to trapfinding in "modern mmos" ???? 

Originally posted by Ambros123

Hate to break it to you but what makes 3.5e great is not translated over to MMOs, hell just look at how Turbine butchered it.  It is an utter disgrace to call that crap 3.5e.

Go ahead and hate 4e all you want but the fact remains that it is the best set of rules for DnD in an MMO.  PnP rules simpely does not transition well to comp gaming which 4e might be the comp gaming edition ticket.

Also it remains to be seen how PW will affect Neverwinter, everyone is simpely speculating.  Go post in guildwarsguru that aNet GW2 will fail because it's producer or publisher is NCSoft and don't be suprised if you get flammed on.

Well, if we dive into this subject now, I must say that I don't think Turbine "butchered" it. In fact I enjoy DDO greatly, just like Allegria above me posted.

- No other AAA MMO offers equal character customization (talking gameplay wise here) - which is just divine in DDO.

- The instancing dosn't bother me either, I like it, just like I enjoy those hard quests and encounters what the game provides.

- And combat wise DDO is the best AAA MMO for me.

I despise and laugh at the 4th ed. Won't go into explaining why here, because for that I would need a few hours to write you a fully fledged report of it, and we don't want to crash MMORPG.com forums with talk of such either.

EDIT: You say P&P rules don't translate well to computer gaming? What the hell happened to Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Temple of Elemental Evil and Neverwinter Nights -series? They were all -Wonderful- in my opinion and no 4th ed crap can come even close to them. 4th ed would only work in an pure Everquest 2 (WOW) -clone.