Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: New Video Looks to the Future

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Bioware and the Star Wars: The Old Republic team has produced a new trailer showing off features that are expected to be released in the next several months including new content, new warzones, part 2 of Rise of the Rakghouls, new flashpoints, new guild features (banks!) and a more customizeable UI. Check it out and let us know what you think!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

Looks nifty.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

"Please dont leave...look! We're almost done with the basics that shouldve been there from the start! Rest assured we are listening to you guys asking for more content and we have decided to give you guys even MORE Rakghouls! These wont be just any Rakghouls, they will be BIGGER Rakghouls with MORE hp! In future, We will add Rakghouls to ALL planets!" 

• InflixInflix Member Posts: 1

How about  Star Wars with ships - in space???

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Most of this should have been in at launch anyway......

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Man, you will be able to move stuff in your UI!  4th gen!

Pretty sad the amount of stuff they launched without.

I don't have a lot of hope of their newer content being all that great, but I will be giving it a shot and not unsubbing, as TSW/GW2 are not out....

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Rakghouls are the new murlocs.

Very glad to see the UI changes coming. I really hope they come quickly.

But I am just not getting the whole legacy family tree thing.

"Hello I would like you to meet my brother. yeah I know, Zabrak, but you know it can happen. And thats my sister. Yeah, she is Chiss. and there is my other Sister, yep, Twi'lek. Always been strangely attracted to her but I keep telling myself it is wrong, just wrong. Yeah, we all have the same dad, so what are you trying to say?"

"What do you mean I am in denial, you better stop saying that stuff about my Mom!"

*force choke*

All die, so die well.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I am truly glad they are finally adding key elements, that is awesome, it is a good start.  New planet is a plus.   New battlezone good!

What about being able to play alien race and how will that work in the Legacy System?  

What about faction imbalances?  What will Bioware do to address faction imbalances on servers?

What about the high res textures?  Will they ever be added to the game again?

When exploits appear in the future, will Bioware shut down the servers to stop the damage or just let people abuse the crap out of it and reward them for doing it?

When poorly implemented game mechanics are found and prove to be detrimental to the overall health of the game will Bioware be brave enough to find a fix fast, take the servers down, before it gets out of hand?

This game can still be a great game.  Bioware needs to bust their arse to fix it.   First impressions are everything and right now they have a pissed off player base and they are leaving.  Bioware knows this.  They have done everything short of locking peoples subscriptions in to keep them subbed.  

Can they pull it off or is it to late?

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i dont think u can do anything about faction inbalance, They tried to stay ahead of this a bit with guild placement and that didnt work to well.

if  2/3 of the players wanna play empire u cant force them to play republic so there isnt really anything they can do to fix this. 

unless they add a third faction which since they almost did it for launch they may do so in future, 

The legacy thing they have stated that u will be able to pick the relationship every character has to another in your legacy. 

how far this goes i dont know but if say u can pick to have zabrak as part of the legacy family and a human but they are part of the same legacy as best freinds or something i dont know how that will work as i dont work at bioware, I just know that they have stated they dont have to actualy be blood relatives.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

definitely gotta fix the ability lag and other bugs but i really am excited about the legacy system I am really really hoping for a good system like EQ1 AA.

• abyss404abyss404 Member UncommonPosts: 68

Heh, I love coming to this website from time to time to read the pathetic trolls looking for any excuse to bash this game.

My friends, family, and I are loving the game and see no reason we won't continue to for a long time to come.

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193

cool, I used a time card to activate my game so I have 3 months to play and make up my mind about this, the changes themselves look good, so can't want to see whats next

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

"Oh crap, they aren't buying  the founder medal title, what should we do?"

"Release the video and lets pray it works!"

"But sir, its too soon!"

"RELEASE IT!"

This is what I feel when I read this

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I really hope the legacy system, UI changes and guild bank are in 1.2.  Once those are in place then the rest can follow suit at whatever pace they want.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

I'm enjoying the game atm, but making a trailer about standard, expected MMO features and selling it as 'exciting' additions is pretty rookie.

You know what would really excite me? An announcement that Space is getting an overhaul. Or heck, keep the pew-pew rail shooter, but give me a better space sim on top of that.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by elocke
    I really hope the legacy system, UI changes and guild bank are in 1.2.  Once those are in place then the rest can follow suit at whatever pace they want.
    Pretty nice that you have to pay almost the cost of an expansion to get such nifty things.

BOOYAKA!

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by abyss404

Heh, I love coming to this website from time to time to read the pathetic trolls looking for any excuse to bash this game.

My friends, family, and I are loving the game and see no reason we won't continue to for a long time to come.

well said.

Funny they have this stuff to add, the stuff people [who dislike every mmo released] cried about, and now they whine..yeah but no but yeah but it should have been there at release.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by cyress8

Originally posted by elocke

Pretty nice that you have to pay almost the cost of an expansion to get such nifty things.

That makes no sense.  I'm paying to access the game for 2 months and get content at quite a nice pace.  That's far better than paying $100 a month for cable TV that I can't choose my channels "a la carte" and I'm spammed with inane commercials on 85% of them.  Your logic here only makes sense if you don't like the base game.  I LOVE it and am enjoying my second character story at the moment, and I've got 6 others yet to go through.  Plenty of base gameplay to take me into the next few months and content patches.

• darkbamydarkbamy Member UncommonPosts: 111

good, so if they are listening then why dont balance out the classes...>_<

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

"The community decides what kind of changes we need to make to the game."

There, he said it. SWTOR future is now sealed. Instant gratification, easy mode, and pet battles.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Going to save a bunch of people some time. HATE!!! Hatey hate hate hate hate haaaattttte!!!! lolz Hatety-ta-hate hate hate. HATE!!!.

HAAAAAATTTTTTTTEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

There..now maybe we can have room for the people who actually play the game and hear what they actually think about the features planned. Both negative and positive but not inundated with pure malice and hate.

All in all..I like what they are adding. Still need to smooth out the present bugs and unbalance PvP elements. keep trying to fix exploits as soon as they are found..etc.  I'm not one of those people that think everything should be included on release. There are no MMOs that had all the features they have currently when they released. Just because they have a model doesnt mean it wont take forever to implement. The game would have gone another year or more to have all the features of WOW or other MMos that have been established for 5-8 years. Which are the mmos people think of when they think of the features most MMOs have. If they had waited...the graphics would have definitely been outdated and the engine old hat. People already claim this now..so it would have only been worse in a year or two. It is a product...and they needed to capitalize on the hype. I think if they waited any more it wouldnot have had the financially successful release it did and imo..the relatively smooth launch it experienced. At least I experience a smooth launch .

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

let me know when they get a new warzone in. I might come back for that.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

Tsk. The standard for theme park mmos are to high because of the giant named WOW. And it dosent matter if that giant is old and dull. The standard is there and the new games must be able to make that standard or above it. 

No customized ui or guild bank at launch? Voice acting for some bucks...Ok, I know that this game is not for me.

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Notice they didn't have anything on moving the hotbars. Pretty much still going to fail on the UI and I don't think any of it will be in time to save the game.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Teala

I am truly glad they are finally adding key elements, that is awesome, it is a good start.  New planet is a plus.   New battlezone good!

What about being able to play alien race and how will that work in the Legacy System?  

What about faction imbalances?  What will Bioware do to address faction imbalances on servers?

What about the high res textures?  Will they ever be added to the game again?

When exploits appear in the future, will Bioware shut down the servers to stop the damage or just let people abuse the crap out of it and reward them for doing it?

When poorly implemented game mechanics are found and prove to be detrimental to the overall health of the game will Bioware be brave enough to find a fix fast, take the servers down, before it gets out of hand?

This game can still be a great game.  Bioware needs to bust their arse to fix it.   First impressions are everything and right now they have a pissed off player base and they are leaving.  Bioware knows this.  They have done everything short of locking peoples subscriptions in to keep them subbed.  

Can they pull it off or is it to late?

They have done a fairly good job of banning people and removing said advantages. They have already went through the damage from yesterday and wipped alot of valor from alot of accounts and also sent out alot of warnings.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

Customized UI is a NTH and not a game-breaker. Legacy system has some good ideas and will encourage my alt-itis even further. New planet/Warzone/content is a huge plus. Still loving the game even without these things.

They had me at hello.