Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR launched, what's the next big thing we waiting for now?

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

ArcheAge, Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3 (do you count this as MMORPG thu...) seem to be the most hyped atm, but that might be due to information we know and being very close to launch date.

Beside those 3 we also got the Secret World coming from Funcom, World of Darkness from CCP, PlanetSide 2 from SOE, Firefall, Wildstar, TERA, Blade & Soul and more....

So to sum it up:

Guild Wars 2         The Secret World            TERA                Blade & Soul

Arche Age              World of Darkness          Firefall             And more...

Diablo 3                 Planet Side 2                    Wildstar

The only thing I really like about all these upcoming MMORPG is they are trying to be finally more innovative and different than the WOW/SWTOR formula. It's really hard to predict if one of these games will be the next big thing, but that's at least the purpose of this thread.

So if you want to add up anything you know about any of these MMORPG's like important update, interesting formula/feature/endgame mechanic, beta/release info and more post it here.

I will save my vote for now, but I really look forward to a sandbox MMORPG like Arche Age, but there are other MMORPG's here with lots of sandbox features as well.

Comments

• SadOldGamerSadOldGamer Member Posts: 18

I voted ArcheAge, that game seems to have a huge open world that looks alive with all the mmorpg elements we should have in a mmorpg. The idea you can build your own ship and explore the waters gives the player alot of freedom and I even saw a video that you can climb trees and ladders, amazing. Since it's made by korean developers it will take a while before this game hit the west (if ever) but it looks great. A game worth to track imo.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

world of darkness and archage.

Although WoD doesnt even have a screenshot yet which means it will not be out for another 10 years. :)

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Originally posted by SadOldGamer

I voted ArcheAge, that game seems to have a huge open world that looks alive with all the mmorpg elements we should have in a mmorpg. The idea you can build your own ship and explore the waters gives the player alot of freedom and I even saw a video that you can climb trees and ladders, amazing. Since it's made by korean developers it will take a while before this game hit the west (if ever) but it looks great. A game worth to track imo.

yup.

and when you cut down a tree it actually falls and has to regrow! which is perfect.

thing is Xyson does that as well and that game was basically built with someones allowance money (I joke but not much). Although because of that it clearly has many other issues.

Oh it (Xyson) also has quests that clans can create which also is something that should be standard by now.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Guild Wars 2 is at the top of my list, The Secret World is a close second.

ArcheAge, I love a lot of things about it - not sold on combat and I do think it DOES need 'adventure content' so it would be a hybrid sandbox/themepark but from what I've read it isn't coming to NA anyway.

World of Darkness I can't wait for but .... sadly CCP is not focusing on it right now.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I've been anticipating PS2's arival for some time and doen't foresee any other games influencing it's enjoyment image

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

I didn't think it was even a question :) Guild wars 2.

Of course, we never know exactly when that's coming. So chronologically it may be TSW.

• Since we're talking MMOs, Guild Wars 2. Dablo 3 is fine and all, but it's not an MMO. I'm not sure why it's even on the games list.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Archeage and GW2

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196

Guild wars 2 and Tera for me.

Tera seems to have a hard time so i dont expect much from it, but the combat seems rather fun compared to many others games so will try it based on that if nothing else.

Guildwars2 just look awsome, they have everything i want from a mmorpg game. But we will see if its actualy as fun ingame as it looks on the interview and gameplay video.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Gonna have to go with GW2 but TSW and Planeside get close 2nd and 3rd status. I had to think a minute beforeI voted. Only because of the three, GW2 has shown to me by real life gameplay, that it has the parts to be great. The others, are just great concepts but nothing to back it up with yet.

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455

I would vote for all of those. Well, except for GW2.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I'm looking forward to Archeage, and a few other games not listed in the OP.

Tera looks neat and I think is next in line as far as release dates go. I probably won't buy it at release, but unless it turns out the game is horribly broken or something i'll be giving it a playthrough at some point.

I don't think any of them will be "the next big thing" really, they'll have their peak for a couple of months and then drop down to standard populations you see in most games.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Diablo 3 of course.

Blizz knows how to make a good game.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

It obviously has to be Guild Wars 2, not only because it will provide a fun, non-linear and lively PvE leveling experience but it will have some of the best PvP of any MMORPG, for the skilled players

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The secret world for me

Should be first out of the ones I'm interested in

Gw2 and planetside will be later in the year or even next year for gw2

Archeage might never end up in the west
  • Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

age of wushu

gw2

archeage

TSW=AoC epic fail

Tera<Aion why waste time when it already tanked in Korea.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I never saw SWTOR as a "big thing", only a game made by "big" companies.  It was more of a medium-sized...... thing.

As for your question, GW2 of course.  A few ot the games you listed I'm not that excited about are Diablo 3 (not even an MMO) and Blade and Soul, and I don't know what World of Darkness is.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Next up for me is TERA. I'm psyched.

Korean grinder? Suck on this, biatch.

• pieholepiehole Member UncommonPosts: 47

Was choosing between  SW and Archenage but finally chose SW.  The reason is that I not only need a new mmo, I need it to be in a different genre (nonfantasy).

Originally posted by Eir_S

I never saw SWTOR as a "big thing", only a game made by "big" companies.  It was more of a medium-sized...... thing.

As for your question, GW2 of course.  A few ot the games you listed I'm not that excited about are Diablo 3 (not even an MMO) and Blade and Soul, and I don't know what World of Darkness is.

Diablo 3: That will be the next big thing in the MMO world conversations. debates over if ALL multiplayer games should be considered MMOs even if its just hooked up on a LAN.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Ah prantside 2 prease.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

For me in order of importance.

Tera  -cool combat and sweet graphics

TSW  -new style, nice graphics, new lvling

ArcheAge  -killer crafting and giant worlds

Planetside2  -a friend tells me how much fun 1 was and that factions made a difference

GW2  -hype and the eng. class

I am different than most tho.  I still play AoC and love it. Never played WoW and cancelled SWTOR after my 1st beta.

edit. forgot D3 

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Gw2, I know I will enjoy that game very much.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

TSW - not interested especially after I learned about it's hideous douple dipping business model

TERA - no. Just no.

GW2 - good chance I will try. Unless A.net & NcSoft become greedy and will bring more things to CS than in GW1.

ArcheAge- Waiting for this one impatiently.  Will play  ONLY if it will be P2P in west (eu or na).

Planetside 2- nah not really.

Diablo 3- not even mmo. Still NOT buying it.

WoD - pointless to talk about it atm. It will be released in like 2015 or later.

Wildstar - meh.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

You forgot End of Nations by Trion