Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: SOPA, Gamers & the ESA

13»

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

SOPA will definitely stop piracy altogether. Just like banning drugs has stopped their production, distribution and usage.

Right?

• KizzattaKizzatta Member Posts: 59

SOPA has helped me pick and choose what products I will and will not buy. I simply won't fund any SOPA supporters if I can manage to work around it. I wonder if this type of publicity will actually have a negative impact on Sony's revenue, or will the sheep continue to be tools?

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by Kizzatta

SOPA has helped me pick and choose what products I will and will not buy. I simply won't fund any SOPA supporters if I can manage to work around it. I wonder if this type of publicity will actually have a negative impact on Sony's revenue, or will the sheep continue to be tools?

I bet sheeps will still be sheeps waiting for a wolf or for someone else kill then, if most people of the world was smart and did the right thing, we wouldn't have half the problems we have today.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194

Originally posted by alkarionlog

Originally posted by Kizzatta

I bet sheeps will still be sheeps waiting for a wolf or for someone else kill then, if most people of the world was smart and did the right thing, we wouldn't have half the problems we have today.

The majority of people who use Sony products are kids who know nothing about the current legislature and the laws that are being passed.  And when I say kids I mean pretty much everybody under the age of 30.  Myself included.

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16590585

I saw the one post that got locked on here about sites doing a blackout in protest.  I figured it was just a few small no-name sites. Wikipedia is doing a 24 hour blackout in protest.  That's huge... 

I wonder if Sghndubn over at battleclinic will put his money where is mouth is and do the same?  He is always giving an opinion on these sorts of things.  For that matter I wonder if any of the outspoken people in the gaming community who run popular sites will do this.  Any gaming or high profile sites doing this?

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Originally posted by JayBirdz

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16590585

I saw the one post that got locked on here about sites doing a blackout in protest.  I figured it was just a few small no-name sites. Wikipedia is doing a 24 hour blackout in protest.  That's huge... 

I wonder if Sghndubn over at battleclinic will put his money where is mouth is and do the same?  He is always giving an opinion on these sorts of things.  For that matter I wonder if any of the outspoken people in the gaming community who run popular sites will do this.  Any gaming or high profile sites doing this?

It's brilliant if they do, best way to make people aware of this.

A lot of people don't know about this, and just go on their merry way until it hits, and then it's too late.

Every site with 100's of thousands of views everyday should make a blackout and make sure people know why when they try to use the sites.

But tbh, I don't think it will ever go through, people would go absolutely nuts if they removed the freedom on the internet, and Obama already said he would Veto it, if it goes through.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

as much as i hate SOPA and PIPA, even i have to admit that theres ONE good thing SOPA would have helped with. Gold Sellers and Bot makers.

Gold Sellers are making a profit by infringing on the rights of game developers. their sites could been been shut down one by one. although they would just move to a new site and continue, its alot harder to convince someone to buy your product from a new site then it is from an established site.

it could have helped keep the gold selling down.

but over all, that bill was bad for the us citizen in general. it would be no better then china censoring its citizens for political reasons. this one would mainly benefit large corporations by censoring anything that remotely looks like compeition off the internet.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

you cannot stop gold seller ,it is legal by law in korea to have a business that sell game currency!

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

sopa and pipa are bad for 2 reason ,the reason given are urban legend first and everything related to it was made avail by the same said industry,google it!they showed the web how to do all these stuff then come and say foul check what they do!why would they skeem like this ,to CONTROL  the web,LET ME PUT THIS BLUNTLY,whatever they do whatever they think they can muster to do what they want the only person that will be affected by unsecure web and unsecure everything will be common folk cause the rest that are techno savy will do like they did when satelite release paid per view on satelite ,they will hack the darn thing,why cause it wil be huge business.instead of hacking the satelite they ll hack the web for free web instead same difference.

all the various industry make more money since the web exist why ,cause take me i see harry potter in 240 quality wow i love it i go see it in theater

they want a law i will tel them how

1 sound lower free lagal quality to old am  quality radio (most will know what i talk about if they are 40+

2 videp lower quality to what we had without cable with rabbit ears (it was what 240  but looked like 128 or so

one problem with this idea same as before it means giving control of the web to someone and this is also a nono

so i say put these two mesure in place by law let them sue those that stream copyright meterial in higher quality as long as it is stuff they own ,not a obscur thing like the patent troll issue

and before all this copyright and patent agency need to change the way they work and revisit all exisiting patent and copyright

and remove all that are too similar!with the techno avail today this is very easy !

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Lol'd when i found this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swfXXT0QBeI&feature=related

C|Net owned by CBS, partnered w. Disney, Warner and many others actually distributed the sharing software along with DRM removal software, and made a ton doing it too, then turn around and cry to the politicians that there is too much piracy.

They are heavy supporters of SOPA, and pouring millions into it..... WTF.

Check it.