Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Changing Systems to Get It Right

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Jay Wilson has penned a new developer diary entry over at the Diablo III site in which he discusses some of the crucial systems that the team is looking quite hard at and which will undergo some changes. Wilson's team has been criticized for spending too much time altering systems rather than just releasing the game 'as is'.

Wilson's contention, however is summed up nicely here:

Our job isn't just to put out a game, it's to release the next Diablo game. No one will remember if the game is late, only if it's great. We trust in our ability to put out a great game, but we're not quite there yet. In addition to finishing and polishing the content of the game we're continuing to iterate on some of the core game systems. So all that said, I'd like to provide everyone an update on some of the systems we're currently working on.

Some of the systems being reworked include:

• Identification Scrolls: Now axed from the game.

• Inclusion of a dedicated potion button.

• Mystic Artisan removed

• Nephalem Cube and Cauldron of Jordan removed. Originally thought to be a good move to sell/salvage items in remote locations, the need has been removed with the inclusion of the Stone of Recall.

• Blacksmith Artisan will take over salvaging duties.

• Common (white) items will no longer be salvageable.

Read the full dev diary on the Diablo III site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Identification Scrolls: Now axed from the game.

Best feature from Diablo 2...................... Why would you remove it.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Originally posted by psyknx

my first thought.

then i raged.

casual players?

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

even more stuff from the game removed?

WTG Blizz    oO

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• tomato_kwantomato_kwan Member Posts: 44
    The scroll was one of the most pointless and annoying feature for me........
    I'm rather glad that they removed it.
  • korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

Any news on removing the most annoying bu...er...feature?

Steam...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I like the idea of not having to identify things. I don't like the idea of lugging around tons of junk and not being able to compress it all down into crafting materials. I suppose I'll have to login again and get updated to see how this works out (at least through the first, tiny, itty bitty chapter).

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ShakesphereShakesphere Member Posts: 26

If you were to make out a list of the best feature from Diablo 2, I'm afraid identifications scrolls would be far down the list, if they would even make it.

Having to identify something was a pointless system.  All it dead was force you to carry ident scrolls, and town portal back to town when you ran out.  This type of feature breaks up the action of the game, and hence pointless.  Unless you feel it's good to cause a player to stop midway through a area?

-Shakesphere

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

Ummmm, Cain identified items for free in D2. No need to waste inventory space on a book for doing something that came free.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

lol no one used scrolls after quest 3 act 1, unless it was a rare or set item and you just had to know. 

But with the exception of a potion button, these are all things just being removed, I don't see how that improves the game.  I was hoping maybe they were going to say they were returning to the skill tree setup of D2, or mute the colors and make it a darker game like people wanted.  Oh well.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

identification scrolls is the best feature from Diablo 2?

trolling?

you still have to identify items.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

op:will there be diminishing return on potion and stone of recall (to prevent abuse)

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

The diablo wait never ends.It feels like hell

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I like the changes they're making, they make sense.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

um what? is this a real post?

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

feh and I was thinking they would remove they "cash market".

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • kimahriskimahris Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Zefire

Everything that been mention in the list can easily be fix in like a day ...lol.

• RustofersonRustoferson Member Posts: 2

Realse the game already plox!! I want to play.

• sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115

i love blizzard for taking their time with the games they make to make them truly awesome and get a slam dunk everytime they release a game.

but on the other side i also hate having to wait for diablo 3 for another month or two maybe:P

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Zekiah
    I like the changes they're making, they make sense.

If you read the article on the Diablo site, all the changes do make sense. The end result is the same, you're just going through a slightly different process to do the same things.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

ID scrolls heightened the excitement of finding items, I think it was a bad move to not include it in D3 but not a huge deal.  Removing the Cauldron of Jordan was really intelligent...  I thought it was a bad idea from the start.

"This type of feature breaks up the action of the game, and hence pointless."

Breaking up th e action of the game is incredibly important in all games, and you can bet that D3 will have a ton of features that break up the action.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Zefire

Well, to be fair, the game is called "Diablo".....what do you expect?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

I like the new changes but enough is enough already.

You can't continue to endlessly rework systems and expect to ever get a game to release. Their pusuit of perfection has gotten them to the point where they are second guessing every decision over and over again into infinity. Release it already! You can always patch it later when and if your paying customers (who have been waiting for a crazy amount of time) decide if they don't like a particular feature..

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185

diablo died when Blizzard North got the axe, the true developers of the series.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Right, just another thing to take up space in your inventory.  If you read the document you would realize all you have to do to id something now is right click on it, infinitely better.  Next time read the article before spouting something that does not make sense.

I am willing to wait until they are satisfied with it, otherwise we will be looking at multiple game changing patches.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

ID scrolls removed? For crying out loud.

For one second I had actually thought they had removed their cash-grab / PayPal RMT. But no... let's remove a FUN ASPECT OF THE GAME - the ID Scrolls.