Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Cancellation Reason - and SWTOR's Response

I want this game to succeed, and I want to play it when it is worthwhile. As such, I entered a detailed note on why I am canceling in my unsubscribe exmplanation box. I also received an immediate response which is pasted below.

Here is what I wrote them -

I have a 50 Powertech and a 43 Guardian. I have seen a lot of the single player. I have also beaten every boss on normal and every boss on hard mode except the new ones from yesterday, Bonetrasher and SOA.

It's safe to say I am well acquainted with what SWTOR has to offer.

The problems that have added up to my quitting are:

1. Lack of Hi Res Option. I am looking at this game for hours at a time, and lack of hi-res breaks immersion and reduces fun for me. At this point, WoW - a 7 yo game with a few updates over the past few years - has an edge on this newly created game. Not even having the OPTION to turn on hi-res due to potential frame rate slowdowns even though it worked fine in beta  really seems like a copout for deeper problems and is for me a game breaker. First off, I am betting 30% or more of your endgame clients (the subscribers) have solid enough computers/the knowhow to make it work, and there are many advanced options that could get it to happen - LOD seetings: like 7 full draws, 20 medium and the rest low. Players and NPCs within X yards at high, the rest at medium, etc. The official response seems just like a lie to hide a deeper problem. Promotional materials and a beta being sent out using a disabled feature is being termed by many as bait and switch. I may not go that far, but it is enough to finally turn me the corner and not sub.

2. End Game Content Bugs. I have bugged on Hard/Nightmare mode 3rd boss of EV over 10 times in 2 weeks. We ended a raid night early due to it. We then came into EV last night to see the 4th boss council was magically back up then SOA was unlootable. Last night, the new bosses had their normal mode loot broken so that pieces specific to one class were auto-looted to other classes. Sorcerer with a Marauder offhand - sure, why not. Those are just 3 of the bugs. There are several more, but these are the most recent.

3. PVP. Period. Nothing more to say there.

4. Account Problems. I activated my game months in advance in order to get my guild set up for early deployment (which ended up being a lie as well), but when it came time to activate the subscription, my already applied game code was deemed invalid. $60 was taken from me by Origin and it showed up as activated on Origin's desktop program, but Origin was still listing the game as "Unreleased". Battlefield 3 was sitting next to SWTOR working fine, but SWTOR, despite it being the 21st was showing unrleased. I got through to customer service and I appreciated the helpfulness of the staff on the phone. The problem is that their request for me to take a screenshot of the Origin problem and me trying to enter the same code online and it being rejected was not replied to in a timely manner. The next afternoon I decided to go ahead and buy another copy of SWTOR to make sure I could keep leveling. That problem with Origin was on the 21st. I JUST received a response on that - nearly a month later, and the response was that they see my account has been activated so they are closing the ticket. This is despite me sending an email to support explaining that I had bought another copy and needed a refund on the original. I have no answer to that refund request and am coordinating with Origin today to see what can be done.

This game was fun. The 1-50 was better than the leveling of any other game. BUT as a single player, it is KOTOR3 with 30 hours of gameplay and the rest as stuffing. As an mmo, it is not giving me enough positives to stay on and pay the monthly.

I did enjoy my time, but letting you hit my credit card will send the wrong message. I choose not to cast my dollar vote in this direction.

I will probably jump back into WoW for the 10 or so hours  a week it is fun to raid and am eagerly looking forward to your competitors GW2 and TERA - both of which may fail miserably but at least will have hi-res and TERA having been out so long in Korea already will most likely not have the bugs.

I will keep tabs on SWTOR and resub when the graphics, endgame and PVP are all fixed.

Thank you.

HERE IS THE RESPONSE -

SWTOR.com is temporarily unavailable as we are experiencing extremely high traffic. Please check back again soon!

Leider ist die Star Wars: The Old Republic-Website momentan nicht erreichbar. Versuchen Sie es später erneut.

Nous sommes désolés, mais le site web Star Wars: The Old Republic n'est pas disponible actuellement. Veuillez réessayer ultérieurement.

At least they had the decency to tell me in 3 languages.

Someone please make a good MMO.

Comments

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Tamanous

I'm not entirely sure what you want from this post.

You want me to hold your hand on the way out or something?

Are you bioware?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Not sure how you derived that from his post. He was posting that he submitted all that and the system kicked his cancellation out due to load on the system.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

OMG!? They purposely took the entire SWTOR.com website down just so you couldn't submit your cancellation reason!?!?

EA and Bioware are beyond evil. I can't believe this!!!

/sarcasm

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I wrote a similar piece. Just with other reasons; open worlds not playing a role at level 50, end game crafting non-existent for non-dungeon crawlers at max level, the poorly implemented world pvp, fleet stations instead of more immersive capitals and loading screens / performance issues.

Anyway, I echo your conclusions, it was a great game during leveling and I thanked them for that, but not worth my sub for the current state of end game content.

I wasn't expecting an answer though, just hoping someone, somewhere will keep tabs.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

I like the game......have fun in Wow, they are adding Panda's soon which ..will be fun to pvp with!!

• NotusingthisNotusingthis Member Posts: 8

Lesson learned. Write extrememly long posts in notepad or google docs BEFORE submitting them just in case an error occurs.

Oh, are you on Mandalora the Indomitable? If so, I would happily put your stuff to use.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

[mod edit]  All you needed to say was "Sorry to see you go, and I hope you eventually come back!".

OP's post was polite and well thought out, regardless of him being a WoW player :P!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I don't understand it. These asses run these games like it's still 2001 and it is acceptable and common practice to make the same mistakes and issues they were having back then.

1. Bugged/untested endgame content

2. Lack of endgame content

3. Complete server mismanagement

4. Complete faction mismanagement

...and so on and on and on.

It gets so old. It isn't just this game. They all do it.

...and then they wonder why so many leave and go back to the games they were playing before that aren't having those issues. This isn't the era of mmos where you can come out with a game having those issues and expect to have a high retention rate nor is this the era of second chances. There is too much competition out there and frankly after all this time there should be vast improvements in areas.

Don't get me wrong. This was actually one of the better game launches as of late.  Really was. But frankly, they could have done better and a lot of the issues some players are having now or complaints some have about the game BW could have taken care of.

Hell, a lot of these issues and concerns werer brought up in beta.

Far as bugged raid content? I don't know what to say. They all do this. Not defending it but seems it doesn't pay off much to be the first players to encounter that conent because 9 times out of ten you're basically the one that gets to help them fix their content for them by encountering asll the ways the battles go horribly wrong, one shotted, wiped, trapped, etc.

Then again you have those that will bring up for the billionth time how EQ or WoW was at launch like it just happened last week and should still be an acceptable practice for how a game launch should go.

/shakes head

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Not sure how you derived that from his post. He was posting that he submitted all that and the system kicked his cancellation out due to load on the system.

They didn't derive that from the post.    The response was simply a put down on the person they were replying to... as opposed to being any form of actual reponse to the post.

• Jonnas13Jonnas13 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Stop trolling because the game you're playing is having a mass exodus. All you needed to say was "Sorry to see you go, and I hope you eventually come back!".

OP's post was polite and well thought out, regardless of him being a WoW player :P!

Not caring that some random stanger is leaving a game is trolling now. Christ, wait till GW2 launches. The thousands of posts from swtor fanboys getting payback are going to make you cry if you think this guy is trolling.
  • evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

At least it's better then WoW..when on the exit interview after making remarks on things that were a problem with the game and saying you're going to another game because of it the response goes something like

"We'll see you in a few weeks or months when you come crawling back" (obviously not a direct quote..but anyone who's cancelled knows what I'm talking about..its annoying)

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Hopefully they do a better job at listening to cancellation reasons than Trion (lack of content at 50 was not a main reason for cancellations).  I didnt cancel but dropped my sub to one month recurring instead of 3 (3 is the max I do for any game).  Im a fantasy guy at heart and I dont now if SWG offers enough to keep me away from games like EQ2 which honestly is better in most ways.  SWTORs combat is fun, which earns it at least another month.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

If i was a dev and knew i could make $100M's just by Copy & pasting other peoples work and tweaking it, i probably would lol.

But at the end of the day, it is all economics:

- A product is worth whatever the maximum someone is willing to pay for it
    - You only provide a product/service of the minimum quality that is required to attract customers.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had a spreadsheet titled: Hours Testing Vs. Revenue, and plotted on a graph what was the bare minimum they could do to achieve the most profits. EA make SOE look like missionaries.

• baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

Other have already called you on the troll, but I will answer earnestly/respond to you and the other comments so far.

As a power player of this game. Yes. Call me a nerd. Whatever. I have played enough to tell them why I will or will not be keeping a sub.

As a forgiving and eager gamer who enjoys Star Wars enough to have a Lego Star Wars At-AT on my work desk, I am going to come back and play if they fix those things.

Yes, I did copy this before submitting it as any time you type into a text box you are at risk of errors - timing out , server load, etc. That made it easy to get over here onto MMORPG.

Why post this?

The reason for this post was twofold, to share with others my experience withing the game (albeit the negative side) and to make a mild joke about how many people must be cancelling today.

I am pretty sure the people who read and did respond without trolling and those who read and didn't respond at all recognize this last part.

• WellesWelles Member Posts: 66

Every day they ruin it a little more this game is doomed. There are alot of bad design firms and bioware is starting to make a nice rep for themselves as assholes and join them.

Originally posted by Jonnas13

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Stop trolling because the game you're playing is having a mass exodus. All you needed to say was "Sorry to see you go, and I hope you eventually come back!".

Not caring that some random stanger is leaving a game is trolling now. Christ, wait till GW2 launches. The thousands of posts from swtor fanboys getting payback are going to make you cry if you think this guy is trolling.

Not caring means not responding.

EDITED to adhere to bizarre forum rule.

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

You leave a game because of lack of hi-res graphics?

wow!

Do you know how lame that sounds?

And pvp, fix it enough said?

If I was reading that - I would only know that you were dis-satisfied with it. I would have no idea what you mean by "fix it".

As I can guarantee if you asked 100 players you would have 10 different responses.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Anther post about "What I want in a game!"

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Originally posted by zigmund

wow!

If I was reading that - I would only know that you were dis-satisfied with it. I would have no idea what you mean by "fix it".

As I can guarantee if you asked 100 players you would have 10 different responses.

I dunno its still more helpful than the majority of people who probably cancel and just slam their keyboard when giving a response. I guess k;shgkajsng is a good enough reason for most of us.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• TrustedxTrustedx Member UncommonPosts: 21

Originally posted by Slowdoves

Anther post about "What I want in a game!"

Another spelling mistake in a signature.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

Come join us in Rift, Byriel server.  That game will meet your expectaions.

wow!

You clicked on my thread and replied, but you aren't familiar with what they just did with their PVP?

I wonder why you have enough interest to engage this thread but don't know about the overwhlming response to their pvp bug.

The inundation of threads regarding that situation is unavoidable.

• SojhinSojhin Member UncommonPosts: 226

wow!

The op explained why hi-res is important and the evidence is that the game did not deliver; not having this option is more than getting "10 different responses" from different people--it is a flaw in product design--that alongside pvp and bugs I believe will see this game not succeed.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Originally posted by Ozivois

Come join us in Rift, Byriel server.  That game will meet your expectaions.

Played rift, even tho there is less bugs the combat in the game is mind numbingly boring

Sadly all these themepark  MMO's offer very little, there is no challenge to them, no imagination and none seem to learn , but nothing will change since so many of them are making huge profits with people hoping the next one is the ONE and they all buy into it hoping it will get better.

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336
    I always had low expectation for SWTOR so I wasnt terribly disappointed when it came out. I could tolerate bugs for another month if BW showed willingness to deal with them in a timely manner. This all very much reminds me on how SOE treated DCUO being more concerned about keeping players uninformed than to actually deal with bugs and exploits, and that didnt turn out well for players.

Unlike some of you, i didnt find leveling that much fun. In order to progress through story, which I liked,I still had to do bunch of tedious kill this bring that quests to keep my level high enough. Coop content was crippled for me by lack of players on republic side. But I would still stay to experience class stories if BW attitude towards players was more along the lines of TRION with Rift than SOE.