Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I found it!

LukoooneLukooone Member UncommonPosts: 153

As a veteran mmorpg gamer (I tried almos all AAA and some indie in the last 15 yers) I was burned out of themepark on rails gameplay, easy games and carrots on a stick disguised as a new tier set of items so I started a "quest".

I was looking for a game with decent death penalties, a medium learning curve, no tab targeting, real immersion feeling, aiming, non instanced world and that sense of freedom that a game with no load screens offers.

I also wanted no easiness, no valor points just for stand there, kill and win or no reward for you!

I also wanted to see myself punching the keyboard when I die after a shock of adrenaline.

I was thinking that this game will have the correct matter on the gear you wear, no more better or worse gear,no, the correct gear for the correct situation.

And I found it in the last place I was thinking, its called WWII online battleground europe. Dated graphics, superb gameplay.

The more I play the more I like it man, I like to recognize what kinf of tank/vehicle is going by the sound of its engine, I like to have to figure where my enemies can be, I like do a smart camping or a suicide run depending on the situation, I like how its different troops are better or worse depending on the rest of the big picture, I like to hear enemy footsteps and hunt it down using more brain than a fotm, I like how I switch to a tank, an airplane or do a paradrop when im a little burned of infantry, man, I really like this game. 

If they somehow update the graphics engime, I think I will keep my subscription for ever...

But, but, but he attacked me when I was low life! 

Yes, HE DID, why you cant do the same to him? 

Uf that will take me a lot of time... 

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

See... the problem here is that the game you describe is basically Mortal Online, but most folk aren't willing to overlook it's flaws, regardless of what it does right.

~But I never bought it, just played it over OB and a free trial phase, still love it at the core - needs a lot of work. In my case, I can't justify paying that much monthly for a game whose community will get me that frustrated. Therapists can cost 100x more than the cost of that game in order to fix the emotional damage.

Seriously, to explain an MO player is to point to a guy that likes to slam the game harshly, but still plays it in order to ruin it for others, just to reinforce a backwards mindset that "others should stay away from the game so it won't be ruined for the likes of myself". Very, very strange people in the forums here.

Oh, and from what I hear, the WWIIOL community is cliquish in the same way, same as FoM, and other games that have a community that is left to stew in its own juices for long enough.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Gratz.

I honestly think that they should make a new game out of it though, it feels dated but the idea is great.

Maybe they could make a new and modern version set in WW1 instead? Lots of cool possibilities there as well (Ok, I admit it, I just want to fly a Albatross while strafing Tommies in the mud).

I think there will be more games like this soon, and maybe that "World of tanks" will turn into one as well eventually.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Have you even heard of Planetside?  It came out in 2003.  They are now working on a Planetside 2 with better graphics.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Im happy for you, "veteran mmorpg gamer"... image

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Originally posted by GTwander

See... the problem here is that the game you describe is basically Mortal Online, but most folk aren't willing to overlook it's flaws, regardless of what it does right.

~But I never bought it, just played it over OB and a free trial phase, still love it at the core - needs a lot of work. In my case, I can't justify paying that much monthly for a game whose community will get me that frustrated. Therapists can cost 100x more than the cost of that game in order to fix the emotional damage.

Seriously, to explain an MO player is to point to a guy that likes to slam the game harshly, but still plays it in order to ruin it for others, just to reinforce a backwards mindset that "others should stay away from the game so it won't be ruined for the likes of myself". Very, very strange people in the forums here.

Oh, and from what I hear, the WWIIOL community is cliquish in the same way, same as FoM, and other games that have a community that is left to stew in its own juices for long enough.

I am basicly in the same position as the Thread starter. Mortal Online: The animations mate... the animations and the overall grafic design. It hurts my eyes. And I am very "visual" person.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

I've got respect for the developers of Darkfall and Mortal Online.

I wish I could get into those games, but the forced first-person mode is too much for me to handle.

• LukoooneLukooone Member UncommonPosts: 153

I cannot talk for MO but I assure you in Darkfall you play in 3rd person view almost all the time

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Veteran MMORPG gamer, never heard of WW2 Online, the first MMOFPS?

Checkout PlanetSide 2 though, seriously.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• LluluienLluluien Member Posts: 54

I actually really loved Fantasy Earth Zero for most of the reasons stated by the OP here.  Unfortunately that game had such poor production quality that its North American release died fairly quickly, and the lag problems were so bad that even people that loved it like myself left because it was a serious problem since you had to aim the attacks yourself.

I do think there's a pretty serious market available for a game like Planetside 2 to come and take those of us interested in this kind of game by storm.  The previous implementations have just failed to live up to expectations of what kind of production value should be in place in a game nowadays.  Hopefully the upcoming ones will break that trend!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Originally posted by Lukooone

<snip>

And I found it in the last place I was thinking, its called WWII online battleground europe. Dated graphics, superb gameplay.

The more I play the more I like it man, I like to recognize what kinf of tank/vehicle is going by the sound of its engine, I like to have to figure where my enemies can be, I like do a smart camping or a suicide run depending on the situation, I like how its different troops are better or worse depending on the rest of the big picture, I like to hear enemy footsteps and hunt it down using more brain than a fotm, I like how I switch to a tank, an airplane or do a paradrop when im a little burned of infantry, man, I really like this game. 

If they somehow update the graphics engime, I think I will keep my subscription for ever...

Hehehehe...

WWII just had a MAJOR graphics overhaul last year, so I doubt that facet is going to change much in the near future....

It's a really enjoyable game though, and the combat physics are very realistic. They launched in 2001, so arguably the granddaddy of all MMOFPS games.

Originally posted by skyexile

Veteran MMORPG gamer, never heard of WW2 Online, the first MMOFPS?

Checkout PlanetSide 2 though, seriously.

Hahaha come on man, I was playing Delta Force when you were at school :)

Of course I did, thanks for the info, I played Planetside 1 long ago when it was promoted via Everquest1 expansions CD with a tank simulator maybe?

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

I used to be a Veteran Gamer, but in '03 i took an arrow to the knee.. ;)

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• GeroltGerolt Member Posts: 98

Hi OP, fellow Battleground Europe veteran here. (Well I only played it off and on for a year, almost always as infantry on axis side so I didn't even get to experience half the game in that year! - but the best part of it, hehe.)

I agree, it's great. I would be playing atm if I had the money. The paradrops are awesome, the gameplay is really about skill and tactics, about PLAYER skill, not a skillbar or any of that crap. There's TONS to learn, to do, a single man / group can significantly influence the outcome of battles and thus the war.

The players are sportsmen, tight friendly community, I could go on with the praise.

I haven't played since they introduced all those new units though. The population used to be so low when I quit, what's it like atm, OP? I read the patch made the game crash for many people? Are Americans in yet? (I'm not too keen on them tbh.) If you aren't subbed to the game you can't read the important parts of their forum, sadly. :(

Glad you're having fun! I might drop by next month too. It's really an (unpolished) gem. Btw, dunno what your problem with the graphics engine is. :D It is perfectly functional, you can see 12 (or 6?) kilometers far, and the leafage and grass stuff is awesome. The landscape is a little monotone though. Especially in England. ;D (Har har har.)

What you hear is wrong. The Battleground Europe community is helpful, patient, cooperative and social. The game itself cannot be played without those traits. I suppose if you played BGE for a month you could finally get a comparison between a real, playable game (game as in: a software product with actual gameplay) and the pile of crap that is MO (which doesn't even have a proper help channel - unlike BGE, which has a help channel and a newbie squad... talk about community. If you live in a glasshouse, don't throw with stones).

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by precious328

I wish I could get into those games, but the forced first-person mode is too much for me to handle.

I agree.

Originally posted by Gerolt

Hi OP, fellow Battleground Europe veteran here. (Well I only played it off and on for a year, almost always as infantry on axis side so I didn't even get to experience half the game in that year! - but the best part of it, hehe.)

I agree, it's great. I would be playing atm if I had the money. The paradrops are awesome, the gameplay is really about skill and tactics, about PLAYER skill, not a skillbar or any of that crap. There's TONS to learn, to do, a single man / group can significantly influence the outcome of battles and thus the war.

The players are sportsmen, tight friendly community, I could go on with the praise.

I haven't played since they introduced all those new units though. The population used to be so low when I quit, what's it like atm, OP? I read the patch made the game crash for many people? Are Americans in yet? (I'm not too keen on them tbh.) If you aren't subbed to the game you can't read the important parts of their forum, sadly. :(

People is fine to mantain 2 major attacks and 2 major defenses, atm thats what is going on usually xcept for a few cases like weekends.

Glad you're having fun! I might drop by next month too. It's really an (unpolished) gem. Btw, dunno what your problem with the graphics engine is. :D It is perfectly functional, you can see 12 (or 6?) kilometers far, and the leafage and grass stuff is awesome. The landscape is a little monotone though. Especially in England. ;D (Har har har.)

Oh, and from what I hear, the WWIIOL community is cliquish in the same way, same as FoM, and other games that have a community that is left to stew in its own juices for long enough

Never heard before such a wrong affirmation, every single question I asked in chat has been nicely answered by at least 3 players with a good explanation, always there are congratulations on a cap and lots of joy on a city cap. I think none of actual themeparks have a nice community like wwiiol.

What you hear is wrong. The Battleground Europe community is helpful, patient, cooperative and social. The game itself cannot be played without those traits. I suppose if you played BGE for a month you could finally get a comparison between a real, playable game (game as in: a software product with actual gameplay) and the pile of crap that is MO (which doesn't even have a proper help channel - unlike BGE, which has a help channel and a newbie squad... talk about community. If you live in a glasshouse, don't throw with stones).

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

Originally posted by Dranny

Originally posted by precious328

I agree.

You both never tried Darkfall, it is 3rd person view with 1st person for casting spells. I was always on 3rd person view like almost other players, it is not forced 1st person view.

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Originally posted by Lukooone

As a veteran mmorpg gamer (I tried almos all AAA and some indie in the last 15 yers) I was burned out of themepark on rails gameplay, easy games and carrots on a stick disguised as a new tier set of items so I started a "quest".

I was looking for a game with decent death penalties, a medium learning curve, no tab targeting, real immersion feeling, aiming, non instanced world and that sense of freedom that a game with no load screens offers.

I also wanted no easiness, no valor points just for stand there, kill and win or no reward for you!

I also wanted to see myself punching the keyboard when I die after a shock of adrenaline.

I was thinking that this game will have the correct matter on the gear you wear, no more better or worse gear,no, the correct gear for the correct situation.

I have been playing this game for over 10 years and I am still pretty much hooked. I think it is the only game I always go back to because of both the fun gameplay and the community has always been pretty damn good compared to most games. I got so many good times in this game I can see myself playing it for a long time to come too nothing just comes close to some of the epic battles I have had and seen in this game. But again this is a Sim you need to know what you are doing and has a steep lerning curve but once you get over that point it is an amazing game.

Originally posted by Gerolt

Population wise depends on your time zone. Early hours GMT can be quite low pop but primtimes EI 6pm GMT to 3am GMT I have seen up to 5 AO's active so yes the pops do rise and fall. But again I still see 60 70 man para drops on busy times while people are fighting at 3 towns.

Americans are in but for RA and events only. As for stability there was problems with the Mac client but they are testing a new client for that they did just change and rework the whole netcode and client a few weeks ago this had a few problems but they have worked pretty fast to fix the problem. Then again I never crash that often probably once per 12-24 hours of play.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

OP, if you are looking something like that with newer graphics then check out Heroes & Generals. I got my invite today.

Originally posted by paterah

OP, if you are looking something like that with newer graphics then check out Heroes & Generals. I got my invite today.

Great! I looked into it before but to know that was browser-based plugin instead of a real program instalation droped my interest (maybe im wrong on this, not much info).

Feel free to tell us how is it going on with H&G , if it is like wwiiol but with better graphics im very interested

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I played WWII Online at release for quite awhile and had a really good time while doing it. My biggest complaint though was my inability to figure out flying... Although being in a tank was really exciting.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Slampig

I played WWII Online at release for quite awhile and had a really good time while doing it. My biggest complaint though was my inability to figure out flying... Although being in a tank was really exciting.

Yes flying takes time to learn but best way is to ask for tips off the top pilots in game. Or lots of trial and errors.