Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game engine.

EmperorBeldEmperorBeld Michigan City, INPosts: 101Member

I am looking for a game engine.  That can be use for single rpg, and MMOrpg.  That is low in cost, or free.  I have been looking around, but would like some suggestions.  Any suggestion?  I have some progamming experience, but not an issue.  

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 19,169Member Rare

Why not use the same as Torchlight, the OGRE open source 3D graphics engine. 

It is free and is supposed to be easy to use. It might not be Cryoengine 2 but free is good and you have a good example of what you can make of it there.

• dronfwardronfwar Shitty, DEPosts: 316Member

There are so many. A quick google would help you out.

Then you have to compare the features with your needs.

I suggest

Unity3D ($1.500) MMO: Battlestar Galatica Online

UDK (30% royalty fees / free for non commercial) Many AAA Games

Blender Game Engine (open source)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNaW0NQDDRo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7RRaEvWqJc

• KarahandrasKarahandras Sible HedinghamPosts: 1,691Member Uncommon

I would suggest you google and research a few yourself to find the best one for your needs(have been doing this myself out of curiosity).  As a there are quite a few now with variations of 'free'.

Irrlicht is meant to be easy to get into and free

The 100% free mmorpg planeshift uses another free engine called crystal space

If you want a java based one(usually for browser mmo's) you can try unity it has a free version and a payed for version(I think is quite cheap)

Cryengine3 has a free version is you aren't going to charge for your product

SWTOR uses the hero engine(mmorpg specific mostly) which has a freeish method.  If i remember correct if you use for an mmo and don't want a flat rate they'll take 30% and host on their servers.

These are just the ones I can remember atm:)

I forgot Torque3D, might be worth a try for you.

http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d/overview

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,505Member Uncommon

The only option for a free MMORPG engine is The Hero Engine, as its totally free upfront but they take a 30% royalty free. Its a godo engine and if there are lot of you working on it its perfect. Its uses its own scripting language so you will need to learn that as well.

Unity is another good free engine but the problem with unity is that there is no in built network support for MMO games you would need to use some 3rd part network software like photon or ulink, and these cost money. Also unity is not the most up to date engine, i.e. no in build support for normal maps on terrain textures, no shadows in the free version, and pretty crap water in the free one. They have multicore support in the latest dev build of unity so thats at least a step forward.

Now for single player games i would highly recommend you get an idie License for Cyengine as its really nice to work with and very powerfull, or the unreal engine (UDK) both are very modern and would work well for a single player game, Again these do not come with network support for MMOs and there is no 3rd party software directly compitible tho im sure if your a good coder you could get somthing to work.

• EmperorBeldEmperorBeld Michigan City, INPosts: 101Member

Thanks for all the replies.

• MetentsoMetentso BarcelonaPosts: 1,436Member Uncommon

What about Esenthel engine? It has great reviews, features look great, but don't see any half serious game being developed with it.

• eye_meye_m Notta Chance, ABPosts: 3,313Member Uncommon

interesting. I didn't realize there was free options available for game engines.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

There is also Valve's Source Engine. It's very nice and people do good stuff with it but you have to contact them.

http://source.valvesoftware.com/licensing.php

And another one:

http://www.panda3d.org/ (open source)

Esenthel Website says Esenthel is the winner in MMORPG development:

http://www.esenthel.com/?id=compare

• CereberusCereberus Far AwayPosts: 139Member

I started a thread in general ideas about this , use the Doom engine ID tech 1 - DOOM rpg exist, easy to run, easy to mod, you can make it action based or large open ended world etc....plus high quality sprites....if you get the artists, if you can some how make it into an mmo game it would be awesome

• EmperorBeldEmperorBeld Michigan City, INPosts: 101Member

What are some good game engines that use 2d graphics?

• anemoanemo Posts: 978Member Uncommon

Going 2d is actually a pretty good idea.   The fact of the matter is that for each dimension you add to a project eligable candidates goes down by 10x or more,  this isn't just talking about art directions but other elements like persistant data, multiplayer, and the extent of all your goals.

This is one that I've seen Eclipse:  http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/eclipse/  

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 14,247Member Rare

Along with Eclipse, you also have VBGore and Xtreme Worlds

There's also a 2D top-down isometric engine created to scale from singleplayer to MMO - www.explore-rpg.com/

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FA_GiovanniFA_Giovanni Chicago, ILPosts: 5Member

If you are looking to build & develop a working MMORPG, you will NOT succeed in doing so without paying a little. Free engines can be useable, but are not recomended.

Keep in mind, when you want to develop an MMO, you need to think about the stuff that actually matters. Such as the servers and data. This can cost about $200, not to mention the upkeep. You need to pay for ALL this if you want to release an MMO.

Now that I have that part clear, my MMO project (Fantasy Age) is being developed with Hero Engine. It costs $100 a year and you give them 30% of your revenue when your game is released. But you don't really need to worry about the servers and data. They take care of that. 

So do research before you plan on making an MMO. It'll most likely fail if you don't look at the stuff that matters.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar drummondville, QCPosts: 7,854Member Uncommon
    Lol