Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: CES 2012 – Hardware Roundup

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Consumer Electronics Show is one of the most popular shows devoted to all things gadget and we have an on-the-scene report about what struck us as the most significant things shown. Check it out!

The latest, the greatest, and the drool-worthy in hardware. The annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas is a showcase of the latest and the upcoming greatest in consumer electronics. Some years, there’s not so much great stuff for PC gamers, some years there is. This year, mobile gaming accessories remain big but the usual suspects like Razer had some interesting offerings.

Read more of Carolyn Koh's CES 2012 – Hardware Roundup.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

That new Razer tablet prototype is just fail IMO... who is ever gonna play a FPS like Firefall with console style controls? Talk about gimp yourself vs other PC players... And the price ><. It's a shame because they were showing, if I have it right and this is part of the same thing, a clam shell version that had a really neat gaming keyboard attached. It was far better IMO. I don't see them selling a console controller based system to the PC gamer hardcore any time soon.

I would just buy a gaming laptop if I wanted a serious portable PC gaming platform. If I just wanted casual games then a Vita or whatever is fine, and a lot more portable then this monstrosity. This thing falls into a really uncomfortable area between the two that I don't see a market for and seems just a desperate grasp at finding a niche for themselves in the current tablet hype zerg.

Can you really see yourself pulling that out on the bus to play?

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

lol at the Emperor workstations

You can buy a car and nice sound system for the price of.....a chair from Canada

and it only has a 250 lb max limit so they're cutting out a lot of their target audience with that

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Lol@ Project Fiona

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Hasn't that Zalman gun mouse been out forever? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing something like that years and years ago.

Otherwise, I think the Razer Hex might be cool for Diablo III. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

lol at the Emperor workstations

You can buy a car and nice sound system for the price of.....a chair from Canada

and it only has a 250 lb max limit so they're cutting out a lot of their target audience with that

and getting it down to the basement would be a real task.....

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I want the virtual reality stuff!  I have a room I could empty out.  I'd put that thing on, log onto SWTOR and run around in the game.  That would be same great real world exercise if I had to jog in place to run, or swing my arms to swing the saber.

And I drooled when I saw the Emperor chair. 

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168

Pretty booth babes can turn a man's software into hardware without much effort.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Originally posted by StormwindX

Pretty booth babes can turn a man's software into hardware without much effort.

Confucius say "girl who is six on street becomes ten at gaming convention"

• DjFc88DjFc88 Member Posts: 23

More interesting! :x

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

so this immersive motion device is supposed to be the equivalent of Kinect on Xbox360?

if so -> AWESOME! about time someone made one for PC

also, why so little visual commentary? I think pictures would do a lot more explaining for this sort of a report

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lalartu
    so this immersive motion device is supposed to be the equivalent of Kinect on Xbox360?
    if so -> AWESOME! about time someone made one for PC

also, why so little visual commentary? I think pictures would do a lot more explaining for this sort of a report

Why wouldn't you just use the Kinect on the PC, since Microsoft has released the dev kit and the drivers?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

I think those Cowgirls are lost. lol

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i'll keep the booth ladies, don't mind if i keep both

• HinchaHincha Member Posts: 38

A Rojo6934 Only roll for them if its for your main spec ;)

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Originally posted by vesavius

That new Razer tablet prototype is just fail IMO... who is ever gonna play a FPS like Firefall with console style controls? Talk about gimp yourself vs other PC players... And the price ><.

I sure hope they're packing ULV Trinity in there, as well as a beefy cooling system.  Of course, after the absurd $2800 "gaming" laptop that Razer came up with recently, they might decide to go for Cedar Trail Atom.

-----

No Pitcairn?  Cape Verde?  Kepler?  Cherryville?  Okay, so that stuff probably wasn't shown at CES, but Trinity was.  AMD had an amusing demo for it.

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

CES 2012 – Hardware Roundup Part One ?

more like payed razor PR and commercial. I dont like this shadowy commercials Its low

I guess that part two will be logitech roundup??

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Originally posted by Timacek

CES 2012 – Hardware Roundup Part One ?

more like payed razor PR and commercial. I dont like this shadowy commercials Its low

I guess that part two will be logitech roundup??

Nonsense.  The next one was paid for by Steelseries.  </ sarcasm>

-----

More seriously, the way that conventions like this are set up is that one company will have a booth with all their stuff there, and another company will have a different booth with all their stuff somewhere else, and so forth.  There's way too much out there to have a look at everything.  So if you're going to report on what you saw at CES, you spend some time at a relative handful of the booths, and then report on the interesting stuff that you saw there.  Presumably the author spent some time at Razer's booth.  There's nothing insidious about that, and most of the post wasn't about Razer.

Besides, if you're going to pay for an advertisement, you don't pay to advertise prototypes that may or may not ever make it to market.  You pay to advertise products that people can actually buy.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

The chair is sick, too bad it doesn't come with the monitors though.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Razer just as pathetic as always..

Stuff like their 6 button mouse seem like you should find somebody with a Razer product they payed 90.00+++++++ for and shake them while screaming "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!?!!"

Still, not a whole lot of things to be impressed with honestly..

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

"– a picture paints a thousand words" Yes and your article has two pics of the same keyboard. :)

"Finally… booth babes are hardware, right? Or are they software?" I don't know but fortunatly they are everyware. """           

Good hardware review, as I say every time, MMORPG.com should do more of them. 

• omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99

Razer Fiona is just a scheme to grab money from unware consumer, I hope people don't waste their time on that "product". Can't believe they'd even try to setup a product with that kind of price; the design is a WII U rip off.

• CripnoahCripnoah Member Posts: 128

Project Fiona is an abomination. Try not to even give it any attention.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Plate-mounted Cherry MX switches aren't anything new. You can have 6Gv2 with plate-mounted mechanical switches long time ago, and Steelkeys 6G even before that. Just normal marketing BS. Also, I would like to know if it does offer Full-NKRO over PS/2 and not just that crappy USB 6key, which isn't too rare nowdays...