Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Tightening Up the Graphics

12346»

Comments

• DracillDracill Member UncommonPosts: 158
    And do not forget the pink boots. If people want to play with pink boots and low resolution cutscenes they should be allowed.

At least that should make the life easier to the haters. My vote for the return to the beta bugs.

POWER TO THE HATERS!!!
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I cranked up the loader this morning before work and downloaded the update for the game. Obviously the servers were not up, but the Settings screen was available. There's now an Anti-Alias option that I don't remember seeing before and also an Anistropic Filtering option I don't remember seeing before. Looking forward to seeing how this affects the game's appearance.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Ah so BioWare is channeling Starbucks, Medium resolution is now High resolution and High resolution is now Cutscene, gotcha...

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

That's what you get when you buy an engine, you don't know the ins and outs of it. And to be honest, the hero-engine is very badly optimized considering the quality of graphics it outlays...

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

To be honest have never compared medium to high .... With every game I immediately go to set effects to max. My computer is 2 years old aprox, when purchased was not top of the top but was good.

And I can only say I'm impressed with incredible Star wars(!) feeling and with great graphics and all effects. With smoth combat moves, etc etc. I do not care for effects that normal human eye can not even notice. I'm incredibly happy with what I see when i play. And how I feel.

Have been watching first SW movie when was released. And all rest also. Game is impressive. But is true ... who is fan of swtor have only one big reason more to be happy. But I do not think would be disappointed even if I had never watched any sw movie.

If I can play all maxed out wow, rift and swtor ... all lag free, bug free .... I will simply not play games that does not fit this criteria. Now of course. 10 years or more ago standards were pretty different, once was "normal" when major and really annoying bugs were fixed i.e. after 2 years. Rift and Swtor have set new standards here.

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

time to reroll back to rift, feel free to use the link in my signature

also remember, these guys are owned by ea, ea support sopa/pipa which will destroy alot of sites like this/similar to this so why even bother giving them your money.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Originally posted by Unshra

Ah so BioWare is channeling Starbucks, Medium resolution is now High resolution and High resolution is now Cutscene, gotcha...

Yup, "working as originally intended", they just forgot to tell anyone about that until the Dev statement last week :)

But, after some enouragement by the playerbase, they have promised to try to improve the ingame gfx in the next month or two, which will allow you to display characters "close to you" in high-res gfx.

Perhaps there'll be a new gfx setting added then, "High+" or "Ultra High" or some such...

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

SWTOR = meh

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by Alyvian

time to reroll back to rift, feel free to use the link in my signature

also remember, these guys are owned by ea, ea support sopa/pipa which will destroy alot of sites like this/similar to this so why even bother giving them your money.

cant help but agree with this.......i dont like EA either it seems.

I bought it because its bioware......their storytelling is epic imho.

That is why i love swtor so much, story.....once i hit max lvl with my 4 chars i will prolly lose the game to the bottom draw of my desk i guess.

• cybrinsanitycybrinsanity Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by Stephen Reid

“bring greater visual fidelity to your character and those around you, but will still allow for good performance in situations where a lot of characters are on-screen at once.”

Since when does this happen? theres never anymore than say 20 people on screen anyways at any given time... lol

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

My summary on the situation.

Good

- Game looks good on max settings (plus I messed around with 3d Nvidia settings, may have helped).

- Game, for me, runs amazing FPS even in high pop areas and warzones.  Its very fluid.

Bad

- If everyone gets high rez textures and it slows the FPS down and we all end up getting lag then I don't want it.  The minimal visual improvement is not worth game playability

Ugly

- Regardless EA should have come clean and stated up front to a mostly mature audience.  We can do this but based on numbers if we did it would ruin gameplay.  We will endeavour to introduce when we think it can be supported.

Job done and dusted but the lack of comms is the issue here.  I don't want textures if it stuffs up everything else.  I played some older MMO's last night when the patching was going on and they look very poor in comparison.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by chryses

Good

- Game looks good on max settings (plus I messed around with 3d Nvidia settings, may have helped).

- Game, for me, runs amazing FPS even in high pop areas and warzones.  Its very fluid.

Bad

- If everyone gets high rez textures and it slows the FPS down and we all end up getting lag then I don't want it.  The minimal visual improvement is not worth game playability

Ugly

- Regardless EA should have come clean and stated up front to a mostly mature audience.  We can do this but based on numbers if we did it would ruin gameplay.  We will endeavour to introduce when we think it can be supported.

Job done and dusted but the lack of comms is the issue here.  I don't want textures if it stuffs up everything else.  I played some older MMO's last night when the patching was going on and they look very poor in comparison.

How will hires textures on my box give -you- lag?

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Hm so much anger I sense. ^^

Well, I can live with it, but the med rez texture on the clothing/armour is the only thing that really bothers me. I wish they had the choice the activate those. In the end, why not give players the choice what setting works on their computer?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

All the others mmorpgs burger as the dude said, look the same on my pc than on their vids.

Besides, in Asia generally but more specifically in Singapore, the big mac u get in ur box looks exactly the same than the big mac u have on the picture above the cashier, it's just a matter of technique XD.

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• crAxxcrAxx Member UncommonPosts: 1

Originally posted by AdamTM

Originally posted by chryses

Good

Bad

Ugly

How will hires textures on my box give -you- lag?

hahaha exactly , i was like W T F ?? guys if you don't know shit, don't discuss with the "pro's"

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

Lol especially the "pros" : game runs smooth even on super high settings... There's no super high settings dude.

I think this game runs super smooth on a 1998 rig, just needs an IBM 486 SLC with 256MB of ram to run it.

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by voltt

Got a high end computer game runs fine no fps issues.

The game looks great haveing a blast playing

Who F****** cares about the high res textures, enjoy the f****** game

That's like saying who cares if you look good just leave the house as you are no one will care. Logical fallacy for the evening.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Game runs fine and looks good to me.  People saying the graphics are from 1990 are clueless drama queens.  Yes, I've seen MMOs with better graphics, but not many.  The sad truth is that those MMOs with better graphics didn't keep me playing anyway, and I'm assuming they didn't keep the complainers here playing either.  Otherwise, they would be happy with their shiney graphics and not bitching here about SWTOR.  Wierd, huh?

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by itgrowls

Originally posted by voltt

Got a high end computer game runs fine no fps issues.

The game looks great haveing a blast playing

Who F****** cares about the high res textures, enjoy the f****** game

That's like saying who cares if you look good just leave the house as you are no one will care. Logical fallacy for the evening.

Incorrect. He's saying that he's leaving the house and having a good time regardless of what others think. As long as he is liking what he sees in the mirror, to hell with others. 

The correct analogy would be him saying "Who cares about looking good, just go out and enjoy yourself". That's actually exactly what he said.  To which you could argue... "I care about looking good!" In whcih case, you would also have a valid argument. These issues are way to subjective to contain any fact. It's just personal opinion.

Did you know that you mention "logical Fallacy" in almost all your post...lol. 

As far as the OP - in the interest of staying on topic, I'm glad they are working on the tightening of the graphics. Makes me all fuzzy. 

• zDomzDom Member Posts: 1

I'm not a eye candy fanatic, but:

I saw TV commericals for BF3 and was blase because I figured it was marketing trickery.

On the day of release, I bought it on impulse and was blown away at how great it looked — and how it is so smooth while looking that incredible (on my machine, at least).

The can use actual gameplay graphics for cutscenes because their gameplay graphics are THAT GOOD.

When I logged in to SWTOR I was immediately disappointed by the graphics. It really didn't look any better to me than SWG looked, or LOTRO for that matter.

SWTOR to me looked like a game running on an engine from five years ago.

I shrugged, and play anyway because I am enjoying the experience despite disappointing graphics, so relax fanbois. No need to break out the "then don't play" flamethrowers.

But then watching TV with my GF, a SWTOR commercial comes up (with NO disclaimers, btw) and I find myself looking at GORGEOUS graphics. My girlfriend states "That game looks awesome — what is that?" knowing that I've been playing SWTOR and looking over my shoulder on occassion.

She doesn't even recognize it as being the same game until, coughing with embaressment, I explain that it IS the game I've been playing.

So go ahead and explain and make excuses and flame those who complain: it all comes down to "Blah Blah Blah." 

Nevermind what they did/said/promoted in the past,

TODAY they are advertising a product on TV that is NOT recognizable as the product that appears on my PC today.

I think it is a legitimate gripe.