Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think will happen to the Ilum exploiters?

SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

edit: post editted to add the accurate information, not the rumors going on in the forums

edit2: apparently the claims of turrets giving 500 valor were TRUE but was hot/stealth fixed ingame soon after it was found out. Spawncamping alts for valor is still valid and working as of now.

to bring up to speed those unaware: today's patch released with a gamebreaking problem in PvP

in all servers with large faction imbalances, a faction can get right inside an Ilum base and camp the spawnpoints for hours on end

Since there are no diminishing returns for player kills on top of the valor buff in Ilum, exploiters are getting up to 200 valor per kill, and net profits of well over 100k valor in short timeframes.

anyone from the opposing, outnumbered faction that tries to respawn in that point will be instagibbed by AOEs and unable to go anywhere else, hence their only choices are :

1) keep respawning and feeding the enemy,

2) be forced to log out their main to an alt/ the game.

more and more servers report that, even when the legit players stop respawning, people will just log alts in the enemy faction, travel to Ilum, and keep the respawning nonstop for ludicrous rewards.

as we speak this is still happening, despite the hundreds of threads about the issue plaguing the official forums. servers are still up and uncountable amounts of players keep abusing this freely.

now everyone is on the same page, what do you think that BioWare will do about it?

Comments

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

saw this coming for a long time, these guys got no clue how to do mmo.  Instead of taking the servers down right away they wait and wait and nothing will happen b/c too many ppl already exploited.  They already pissed off 50% players, they cant afford to piss off the other 50%.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Honestly I really liked this game, but the exploits are getting out of hand.

My brother and I are both losing interest fast.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

They need to lock off access to this planet until they get a hotfix and honestly need to do a rollback on valor.

Those truly exploiting? If it was me I would be handing out suspensions. Not sure if that is wise from a business sense though.

I would be putting out a letter too at the load page explaining the repurcussions of exploiting and what could be done if you are found doing so.

Along with some huge apologies about the issues brought about in this patch hehe

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

saw this coming for a long time, these guys got no clue how to do mmo.  Instead of taking the servers down right away they wait and wait and nothing will happen b/c too many ppl already exploited.  They already pissed off 50% players, they cant afford to piss off the other 50%.

Yea I have been very disappointed with their professionalism when it comes to stuff like this. Weekly patches show as having 2-3 fixes a week and then any "major" changes immediately backfire and they just sit on it. Seems like a very inexperienced team for a group which was praised as having some great experience in the MMO market. Of course I don't think BW cares half as much about the PvP as they do about the rest of the game. After watching the Rift release, this looks like garbage...

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

The sad thing is, that most likely a lot of players have not even a clue that they are exploiting.

They join the Imperial zerg and think they have a good time stomping the Republic side.

The servers have been up for far too long. This exploit has gone on for far too long, that too many people are now affected! Both obvious guilty ones as innocent ones joining the zerg.

I wouldn't be suprised a single bit that they are incapable of doing a rollback, most likely due to all the issues they already have with the crappy HeroEngine.

There is otherwise no logical explanation as to why they would not have taken the servers down immediately after the exploit was reported.  As pretty much every other MMO has done instant shutdowns and rollbacks when huge exploits were discovered.

If they go for the easy fix and start banning people. Then their only option will be a PERMA ban, to remove all unfair collected Valor of today and remove it from the game!  Which I hardly doubt they willing to do, as it will affect so many people.... it's not even funny... moreso will seriously hurt their subscription numbers !  As you can bet that a lot of people (most likely close friends) will cancel their subs along with their banned friends.

Conclusion: The servers have been up for too long and now Bioware created a classic CATCH22 situation for themselves!  I wish them luck fixing this mess!

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

If you give players an inch, they will take a mile. I'm surprised that common PvP mechanics like diminishing returns don't appear to be present. Maybe they have it implemented but it isn't working? Ah well. I can only guess.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

Originally posted by NaughtyP

If you give players an inch, they will take a mile. I'm surprised that common PvP mechanics like diminishing returns don't appear to be present. Maybe they have it implemented but it isn't working? Ah well. I can only guess.

Not only that.... Bioware appearently also never heard of a Safe zone, so people actually have a chance to respawn, heal up / buff up, before joining the fight... yet alone being able to get out if they want to.

As the most hilarious thing is, that republic players are now stuck on Ilum and can't even leave the planet, because their only spawnpoint is perma camped by Imperials.

Oh..... and this quote made my day:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aenoria

Guys, it's unfair to compare SW:TOR to the Titanic.? At least the Titanic left shore before it sank.

• StSynnerStSynner Member Posts: 123

what will they do?

nothing. lol. this will be the best way to get valor and the WZ's will empty. GG BW.

Originally posted by JeroKane

Originally posted by NaughtyP

Not only that.... Bioware appearently also never heard of a Safe zone, so people actually have a chance to respawn, heal up / buff up, before joining the fight... yet alone being able to get out if they want to.

As the most hilarious thing is, that republic players are now stuck on Ilum and can't even leave the planet, because their only spawnpoint is perma camped by Imperials.

Oh..... and this quote made my day:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aenoria

Guys, it's unfair to compare SW:TOR to the Titanic.? At least the Titanic left shore before it sank.

Actually you can get out by queueing for a WZ, then afking out of the WZ it puts you back in the fleet. Now what is ironic is the WZ queue for a free transport back to the fleet might be considered an exploit... so you have to exploit to get free of the exploits. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

I think they will be praised for adding some innovation :p

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

How is it an exploit if it is just part of thegames mechanics.  If Bioware made it so players gained X number of valor points for taking out a turret, aren't the players just earning that valor by playing the game?  

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

As a long time Bioware fan and MMO fanatic, I will admit that I am very disappointed thus far with how Bioware has handled the release and post release issues in this game.

Both on the technical side and the PR/community side.

I agree with others, they have to hotfix this as soon as possible and do rollbacks on the valor gains, and forewarn people to cease and desist because rollbacks are coming.

Bans or suspensions are too far IMO because it is the developers fault if such a terrible exploit exists in the first place.

Rollbacks on valor would be the only logical course of action.

I remember WoW in the beginning, very similar issues in the early game (not in terms of PvP but in patches breaking stuff) and Blizzard was TERRIBLE at responsiveness and community involvement/interaction.

Growing pains for a major companies first MMO.

Blizzard had just as many ex-EQ devs and such as Bioware has ex-MMO devs.

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=194213&page=176

They have closed the official thread on this topic.  Not a good sign for Bioware.

• pieholepiehole Member UncommonPosts: 47

And...there RIft kicked down TOR from the number 1

Originally posted by Teala

How is it an exploit if it is just part of thegames mechanics.  If Bioware made it so players gained X number of valor points for taking out a turret, aren't the players just earning that valor by playing the game?  

And that my friend... is exactly the CATCH22 situation Bioware has now created for themselves.

The servers have now been up too long, to shut them down and do a rollback. As this will piss off so many players, especially the PVE'ers that don't give a darn about PVP and see hours of progress being rolled back due to major screw up by Bioware!

So... that leaves them with two alternatives.... which ain't pretty in either case:

1. Perma Ban everyone that participated in the Imperal zerging today and gained massive amounts of Valor. This will mean that a lot of innocent people get their accounts perma banned too! Not pretty! Gonna cost them a hell lot of subs!

2. Shut down the servers and start the painstakingly process of scanning the database and find all players who participated on Ilum today and remove all unfair gained Valor!  This can take many many hours... maybe even a full day (seen it before in other MMO's).

Option 2 will also costs them a lot of subs, as we are at the end of the 30 days and people will be pissed off to see the servers going down so long, fed up with yet another major issue and cancel their sub.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Rollback valor, implement valor daily cap in ilum.  Boom done.

Really is a sad, sad state of affairs.

I was expecting a lot better management of the live game by Bioware.

So far I'd grade them a D or D- on this particular category.

Doesn't change my belief that the game, over all, is a solid B to B+ their post launch community interaction and management of issues/problems has been abysmal.

Woeful. Awful.

Very few "saving grace" points I could even make, and I've been labeled a "fan boi" before.

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265

Post-release game management was my biggest worry about TOR for the long run - and they aren't blowing anyone away with their skill so far.

As to what will happen to the exploiters - not much.  Exploit Early, Exploit Often.  At worst they'll all get rolled back, but there's a chance the gains made will stick in some form.  I don't think Bioware has the Little Giants to suspend or ban people, not when they are, by virtue of how the exploit is exploitable, the most popular side.  We'll see.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

This is not an exploit imo, it's the dev's fault. Once the issue get fixed, everything will go back to normal or until the next breakdown. Besides, people that actually like PvP won't touch the terribad PvP in this game. There are better games for PVP. So it's not that Bioware will lose many subs because of the PVPers.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Originally posted by BadSpock

Really is a sad, sad state of affairs.

I was expecting a lot better management of the live game by Bioware.

So far I'd grade them a D or D- on this particular category.

Doesn't change my belief that the game, over all, is a solid B to B+ their post launch community interaction and management of issues/problems has been abysmal.

Woeful. Awful.

Very few "saving grace" points I could even make, and I've been labeled a "fan boi" before.

Well...that says a lot coming from you. No insult intended but you've made it pretty clear how much you enjoy the game and haven't seen problems in other areas.

So if you're saying this then its pretty safe to say there's a major problem here.

...and like I said I mean no insult in my comment. People around here tend to take things I say bit too personal so just want to make sure that is clear. XD

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Well...that says a lot coming from you. No insult intended but you've made it pretty clear how much you enjoy the game and haven't seen problems in other areas.

So if you're saying this then its pretty safe to say there's a major problem here.

...and like I said I mean no insult in my comment. People around here tend to take things I say bit too personal so just want to make sure that is clear. XD

No worries mate, I understand your position and appreciate it.

I still stand by that TOR is a good game for what it is and what it is trying to be, no false illusions as to what Bioware was setting out to do -

but what it isn't is finished and what it isn't is professionally managed post-launch.

I still have hope Bioware will figure this shit out like Blizzard did after months of utterly awful service in the beginning, but the market is much different now than it was in 2004.

It may be too late already for many, many gamers.

At this rate TOR is a good 5-6 months away from living up the potential, but the real question is going to be whether or not people will stick around that long and whether or not those 5-6 months are "good" months of growth or more and more issues like today.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

I believe the reality of the situation, like life itself, will punish those who refrain from exploiting and taking advantage of the opportunity.  BioWare will prove that cheaters always prosper.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

They won't do anything about it, at least in terms of punishment.

I don't see it as an exploit, they released the patch this way, after careful testing I'm sure, image and players are just excercising the game as delivered.

No one is jumping up on a ledge, or using terrain to keep mobs away from them, not their fault if the towers instant respawn like that.

They'll fix the issue to be sure, but I'll bet they don't take anything away.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Bloody hell.

Well my account was going to re-sub tomororw, I cancelled to wait and see what their actions will be. In the explanation why, I said that if they rollback the Ilum valor then I will re-sub, if not I will not be. Anyone who plays republic already knows the uphill battle that is the warzones, just think of all the lvl 60 valor empire games you will be up against... yaaaaa