Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Tightening Up the Graphics

Comments

• blythegablythega Member UncommonPosts: 174

When a game is typically released it would have a system spec associated with it. (This would normally be on the website/box) of said game.  

When I purchase a game I always ensure that my system meets or exceeds these specs to ensure that I have a smooth gaming experience. 

How is it that this company showed a product in promotional videos with a set of high resolution graphics and released system specs that would handle those settings only to after release come out with this SPIN??

It is beyond belief! How can they on one hand release specs that handle the graphics then do a complete flip after the product ships and say NO it doesn't. 

NONE of this makes sense.

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154

All I know is that my rig was built to handle games with MUCH higher rez texures than this. If I can play AoC at all high settings with no problems then I should be able to have no problems running ToR at all high like all the other games I have. Hell, my old rig ran AoC at med using an old pentium 3, 2 gigs of ram and a 7800 GTS and then I would have almost no problems then as well so there has to be something with the game engine not peoples hardware.

• kayakus1969kayakus1969 Member Posts: 1

The false advertising has really got me slightly miffed to say the least..i am one of those people who forked out 700 pounds gbp because of all the warnings that systems would not be able to handle the stress put up on them.  What made this worse was releasing it just before christmas. many people i know forked out money when it wasnt needed, and deprived themselves and their families of a xmas that could of been a bit better.

Biowares tactics were to dupe the people into forking out money just to make the millions back they used making the game in the first week...now everything else made is profit. And we are are left with a game thats still buggy,lacking in graphics options and their response to the people is "ahh well never mind"

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

And then they ask 13€ a month for this, well they won't get mine !

Back to skyrim with (real) high rez texture mods till GW2's out. So long TOR.

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362

the hero engine is shit, everyone said that the minute bioware announced it was the engine they were using. it shows biowares being new to the mmo field. their desire to keep theri work in house at bioware hurt them, ea had the resources and financing to pull off a bigger game, the trade off would have been EA meddling and influence, which i would have settled for if it got me a better looking game with more features

so say we all

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I was quite possibly one of the loudest in this whole fiasco on the official forums.

I was fine with them as is I knew we had them in beta and I suspected we would get them back in time.

What I was adverse to was the outright blatant lie that a 3rd graphic option was never intended and that they played the community for fools by removing the medium option in a PTS patch but failing to add that to the patch notes whereas every other tiny little change was listed.

This stunk of Bioware treating the community like fools who didnt know any better.

This was further compounded by Mr Reids response on the issue,   I was in the beta during the summer when they where enabled this was the same beta that first unleashed PVP on the swtor world so as you can imagine a lot of PVP happened with some fairly large scale wars at times and not once did I read a forum post or in game chat stating these settings fundamentaly caused worse performance in fact the only problem at that time was Ati's latest drivers caused the game to blackscreen but with sound at char selection.

What further irked me was that within 2 days of this whole fiasco Bioware released the Rakghoul press pack with HIGH REZ textures outside of cutscenes showing in both the video trailer and the screenshots.  Poor poor damage limitation and a giant slap in the face to the community.

All I have to say on it really or I will wind myself up again in short theres a lot of corners been cut by Bioware rather than fixing some features that where in beta they just outright removed them to hit the December deadline.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

There absolutely were some high res textures in the early closed betas.  They were buggy... and yes the game was much laggier... whether or not it was because of the textures or other reasons... I have no idea.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

I can run Crysis 2 and Skyrim modded, Red Orchestra 2, and Battlefield 3, all with +60 fps.

But ever since the last 2 patches,  i drop to 5-10 fps everytime i go to the imperial/republic fleet.

WTF? the engine sucks i guess, why would they use a single player engine for an MMO?

And no, there is nothing wrong with my PC, don't even think about spitting that clitche fanboy BS.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• brutality123brutality123 Member Posts: 125

running at reasonable FPS on an 8600GT with everything on high and shadows switched off.  Did have some stutter but upgraded memory to 4g (DDR2) and stutter stopped.

Also running at reasonable FPS on 460 GTX with everything on high  16xAA   and lod turned up to 3..  Fleet looks amazing. I do get some stuttering in centre of fleet but that is with a lot of players nearby.. (perhaps 50  maybe more)

I have been reading that there are some driver issues at the moment.  Also anyone running with 2 gig of ram I urge you to upgrade to at least 4 gig right now and you will see an improvement if your game is stuttering regardless of what they say is minimum ram..

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by MattNe

Originally posted by Forumtalker

Originally posted by voltt

Got a high end computer game runs fine no fps issues.

The game looks great haveing a blast playing

Who F****** cares about the high res textures, enjoy the f****** game

Following your "point", ask yourself:

"Then why does Bioware use High Resolution to advertise the game"

Its marketing..I mean seriously, have you ever gotten a BigMac that looked as it did on TV?

lolz but SO true

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by oubers

Originally posted by MattNe

Originally posted by Forumtalker

Originally posted by voltt

Got a high end computer game runs fine no fps issues.

The game looks great haveing a blast playing

Who F****** cares about the high res textures, enjoy the f****** game

Following your "point", ask yourself:

"Then why does Bioware use High Resolution to advertise the game"

Its marketing..I mean seriously, have you ever gotten a BigMac that looked as it did on TV?

lolz but SO true

Then Bioware should put a discalimer stating not actual in game graphics.

The Big Mac analogy is a poor one,   sure it might look like shit in a box but it will taste the same as that one on the picture in fact probably better as that picture is no doubt cooked but cold products.

You can't use that in respect of a PC game people upgrade hardware etc to play these things many indeed do so over the last year preparing for the game that was advertised to them,  I had built a new machine recently for BF3 not TOR but jebus if BF3 had then launched without the advertised PC graphics I would have been absolutely fuming.#

It's not like you go buy a cybernetic stomach to eat the big mac in the picture over what you end up getting in the box.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

Isnt it the limitations of the Hero engine? as far as the low graphics issues?

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by thamighty213

The Big Mac analogy is a poor one,   sure it might look like shit in a box but it will taste the same as that one on the picture in fact probably better as that picture is no doubt cooked but cold products.

You can't use that in respect of a PC game people upgrade hardware etc to play these things many indeed do so over the last year preparing for the game that was advertised to them,  I had built a new machine recently for BF3 not TOR but jebus if BF3 had then launched without the advertised PC graphics I would have been absolutely fuming.#

It's not like you go buy a cybernetic stomach to eat the big mac in the picture over what you end up getting in the box.

There is nothing wrong with the analogy because we are talking in terms of 'visua advertisingl' AKA what they showed in advertisement is not same as in real life. Bigmac might taste the same but how can you judge taste from the advertised picture?  it is not unless you hold it in your hands, it is nothing like what you saw but tastes allright. Just how graphics are not the same in SWTOR but gameplay is still there.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• wiredknightswiredknights Member Posts: 56

I understand 100% and partially support Bioware's move with the graphics subject as for some old computers it would indeed cause problems. Now, this isn't a excuse not to devolope a better system to prevent this as many other MMO have.. in Aion you have the option to see everyone at HIGH or just yourself.. I think implementing something like this would be the best.. one thing is playing the game in MEDIUM which is just low for a game being released at this time, another is at least seeing my own character at HIGH and everyone else at MEDIUM, this would be more acceptable. Or for the imba computers.. all HIGH.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Most developers only address some issues when players DO go ballistic and I'm pretty sure a fix for this would never happen with out the outrage and I'm still not convinced a real solution will ever be offered.

Not really surprised at yet another EA smooch-smooch article. All the more sad because I'm pretty sure it's a completely one sided attraction.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

I dont see what the big deal is.  I've always had an updated top of teh line hhigh end PC and never in any MMO did I really get close to anything that would warrant even having high end detail.  I dont zoom in on anything, so for me no biggie.

In SWTOR the high resolution is only really needed in the cutscenes IMHO.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I wonder what "aesthetics" would have received in the official review if the high settings WAS available. 12/10 surely would have been in order.

/sarcasm off.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i understand that they advertised the game showing better visuals than what the game actualy launched with and tahts wrong. Now, keeping taht statement away, lets see something else here....people claims that graphics dont mean all in a game, but they hate swtor for its graphics.... it doesnt make sense. Swtor should have bein launched with high end graphics. Computer hardware gets easier and easier to acquire as days go by and technology advances....

Now i personally dont play games if they have great graphics but the gameplay is crap. But i dont play games with crap graphics even if the gameplay is fun either. if i dont like both aspects, im out. I do like gameplay and graphics in Swtor although i realise it should have had high end graphics.

I for one wont ever buy an mmo again unless it has top notch graphics ala AoC, FF14, TERA, Blade and Soul, GW2.

• OtohimeVOTFOtohimeVOTF Member UncommonPosts: 4

what can i say look at this

and is not promotional video it just show's how the game actes when u get more then 30 ppl in 1 place

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uT90g1-hJg&feature=player_embedded

is's on official swtor forum

• dorian1972dorian1972 Member Posts: 1

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by OtohimeVOTF

what can i say look at this

and is not promotional video it just show's how the game actes when u get more then 30 ppl in 1 place

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uT90g1-hJg&feature=player_embedded

is's on official swtor forum

lol.. gunslingers shield and the enemy crashes and burns.. sort of.. er.. game engine problems ? or something more drastic ?? image

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I actually think the "BigMac" anology is very interesting when applied to MMO advertising.

If you look at the advertising and official screenshots for "WoW-burgers", "Rift-burgers" and "Aion-burgers", then you will see many examples where the advertised product looks EXACTLY like the one you get when you buy it. The ingame footage on these game sites may be be created at very high gfx settings, but a player with a good gaming machine can match them easily enough.

But in the case of "SWTOR-burgers", you will NEVER see an accurate picture of the actual product in official advertising. Nor will you see any disclaimer warning you that what you're seeing is not the actual ingame reality. There is no way a SWTOR player can match the advertised gfx quality ever. Period.

Most people look at advertised screenshots, and draw their own conclusions. Those with low-end machines know they are not going to see those visuals in their games. Those with medium rigs know they will lose some of the quality, but they will have a reasonable shot at matching what's advertised by tweaking settings. Those with high-end rigs expect to match what is advertised.

It would have been fine if EA/BW had decided upfront to limit gfx quality, and been clear about it. Making a game that has undemanding gfx is not a sin. WoW were crystal clear about that decision, years before they launched.

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I actually think the "BigMac" anology is very interesting when applied to MMO advertising.

If you look at the advertising and official screenshots for "WoW-burgers", "Rift-burgers" and "Aion-burgers", then you will see many examples where the advertised product looks EXACTLY like the one you get when you buy it. The ingame footage on these game sites may be be created at very high gfx settings, but a player with a good gaming machine can match them easily enough.

But in the case of "SWTOR-burgers", you will NEVER see an accurate picture of the actual product in official advertising. Nor will you see any disclaimer warning you that what you're seeing is not the actual ingame reality. There is no way a SWTOR player can match the advertised gfx quality ever. Period.

Most people look at advertised screenshots, and draw their own conclusions. Those with low-end machines know they are not going to see those visuals in their games. Those with medium rigs know they will lose some of the quality, but they will have a reasonable shot at matching what's advertised by tweaking settings. Those with high-end rigs expect to match what is advertised.

It would have been fine if EA/BW had decided upfront to limit gfx quality, and been clear about it. Making a game that has undemanding gfx is not a sin. WoW were crystal clear about that decision, years before they launched.

There is a difference, often games advertised on Television etc, will use footage from a PC as they are the best graphically, even though in terms of sales,  more are sold on xbox version than any other, but, those game play vids are from actual in game footage that is achievable, which is not the case with SW:TOR, this is a clear case of false advertising. which under advertising law should require the addition of an 'not actual game footage' disclaimer be displayed during the advertisement image

• kingsatanaskingsatanas Member Posts: 31

idont have this game and not planning to get it cause im not a star war /star trek fan or nerd.i have read yu comment and they sound like some free to play game have better graphique then that.i think its stupid in 2012 to published a new game with a 1990 graphic. i enjoy eq2 until Tera online will release with good graphique and good stuff

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

There is a difference, often games advertised on Television etc, will use footage from a PC as they are the best graphically, even though in terms of sales,  more are sold on xbox version than any other, but, those game play vids are from actual in game footage that is achievable, which is not the case with SW:TOR, this is a clear case of false advertising. which under advertising law should require the addition of an 'not actual game footage' disclaimer be displayed during the advertisement image

The  FCC doesn't regulate internet video like it does TV commercials. It's a whole different set of standards. No disclamer is required. Also I don't think you know how limited false advertising laws are in the U.S. It doesn't look like that isn't a legal basis for a claim.

Oh and those TV Big Macs? You cant eat them. Some of the chemicals they use to enhance them are toxic.

so not entirely dissimilar to the actual big macs then image