Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this girls laptop good enough? (^_^)

synaptycsynaptyc Member Posts: 35

Hey Gang!

Care to help a fellow girl gamer out? =)

I am wondering if my laptop will play GW2? (actually ex-boyfriend's laptop, but he ain't getting it back... the jerk!)

Here are the specs: (info from the onboard Dell app)

• Dell Inspiron 1720 (19" screen)

• Processor = T9300 2.5ghz Core2Duo

• Ram = 4GB

• HDD = 320GB

• Graphics card = nVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 265MB (it uses up to 1.7GB sared memory though)

• Audio = some Intel thing. It says SigmaTel?

• BR/DVD

• Network = Wifi 802.11n or ethernet

I realize this laptop is fairly old, but will it even play the game on the lowest settings?

I tried to look up Guild Wars 2 on www.canirunit.com but I didn't see it listed.

Is there another game I can select from the list at that website that should be close enough to GW2 so I can test it there?

Thanks guys, and I hope to see you online when GW2 releases! SAVE ME A SPOT!!

~Syn

PS: my ex-boyfriend used to play Battlefield 2142, Gears of War, & Crysis.

Comments

• KitynKityn Member UncommonPosts: 117

GW2 is designed to be able to run on older machines. At the very least you should be able to run GW2 on the lowest settings with that laptop.

BTW Anet has not released any computer requirements as of yet but they have stated what I posted above in bold.

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

It'll run, but not exceptionally well.

Also, the Nvidia 8xxx mobility series were some of the poorest quality made GPUs of all time.  It will eventually just up and die on you.  It's happened to several people I know.

• synaptycsynaptyc Member Posts: 35

Thanks for the help guys!

See you all online hopefully!

~Syn

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Kityn

GW2 is designed to be able to run on older machines. At the very least you should be able to run GW2 on the lowest settings with that laptop.

BTW Anet has not released any computer requirements as of yet but they have stated what I posted above in bold.

Jeff Strain made the engine. Other games he made the engine for is Diablo, Warcraft 3 and Guildwars. All those engines have in common that they run fine even on older machines so I am certain OP can run it. He is one of the best programmers that made MMOs and the engine have more or less been optimized for 3 years now.

I would guess that she even can turn up most of the settings to medium as long as the effects are on low.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

thanks for posting this, at least i know what pcs i need to upgrade inhome if i decide to purchase more then one copy.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

The FAQ say it will run on mid-range PCs. http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/game-faq/#thirteen

Can't hurt to try, right?

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by Dawnbr3aker
    its amazing this thread hasnt been spam by guy gamers knowing a "girl" just posted..

It's not amazing at all because girls playing games are commonplace these days. Honestly, I don't know why she even bothered to mention she was a girl at all.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

omg it an girl ...

What 2 do now gusy?

*runs around confused*

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

its amazing this thread hasnt been spam by guy gamers knowing a "girl" just posted..

It's not amazing at all because girls playing games are commonplace these days. Honestly, I don't know why she even bothered to mention she was a girl at all.

Fairly certain that I know why.  But I'm not one to derail or stir things.  Glad to hear she should be able to play, as she seems pretty excited about it. 

• KitynKityn Member UncommonPosts: 117

its amazing this thread hasnt been spam by guy gamers knowing a "girl" just posted.. but anyways, I dont believe this http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/941/gw2chart.jpg is the official chart but it might help you get an idea where you stand.

That is definitely not official. Those requirements appear to be too steep. Anet devs have stated that the game can play just fine on older machines that run Win XP and with video cards that run DX 9. For in house testing they run GW2 on older machines and you cannot buy the video cards that they use anymore.

DX 10 will be an option for people who can turn all of the nifty graphics up with faster and newer computers but will not be required. Most likely if you can run GW1 on highest settings then at the very least you can run GW2 on lowest and still able to play.

GW2 runs a highly modified version of the GW1 engine. One of the reasons that they are able to put more details in the game is because of their art team. Instead of a more realistic approach they went with a stylized art direction. Because of that they are able to make the game look great but able to run on older machines.

Originally posted by Kityn

its amazing this thread hasnt been spam by guy gamers knowing a "girl" just posted.. but anyways, I dont believe this http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/941/gw2chart.jpg is the official chart but it might help you get an idea where you stand.

That is definitely not official. Those requirements appear to be too steep. Anet devs have stated that the game can play just fine on older machines that run Win XP and with video cards that run DX 9. For in house testing they run GW2 on older machines and you cannot buy the video cards that they use anymore.

DX 10 will be an option for people who can turn all of the nifty graphics up with faster and newer computers but will not be required. Most likely if you can run GW1 on highest settings then at the very least you can run GW2 on lowest and still able to play.

GW2 runs a highly modified version of the GW1 engine. One of the reasons that they are able to put more details in the game is because of their art team. Instead of a more realistic approach they went with a stylized art direction. Because of that they are able to make the game look great but able to run on older machines.

EXCELLENT NEWS! My X-BF used to play GW1 on this laptop just fine. I'll see if I can find his disks and re-install the game then juice the settings to the highest!

Thank you once again! Really looking forward to playing GW2 =)  [also getting 2 of my girlfriends to play with me. This is going to be a blast!]

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by synaptyc

Hey Gang!

Care to help a fellow girl gamer out? =)

I am wondering if my laptop will play GW2? (actually ex-boyfriend's laptop, but he ain't getting it back... the jerk!)

Here are the specs: (info from the onboard Dell app)

• Dell Inspiron 1720 (19" screen)

• Processor = T9300 2.5ghz Core2Duo

• Ram = 4GB

• HDD = 320GB

• Graphics card = nVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 265MB (it uses up to 1.7GB sared memory though)

• Audio = some Intel thing. It says SigmaTel?

• BR/DVD

• Network = Wifi 802.11n or ethernet

I realize this laptop is fairly old, but will it even play the game on the lowest settings?

I tried to look up Guild Wars 2 on www.canirunit.com but I didn't see it listed.

Is there another game I can select from the list at that website that should be close enough to GW2 so I can test it there?

Thanks guys, and I hope to see you online when GW2 releases! SAVE ME A SPOT!!

~Syn

PS: my ex-boyfriend used to play Battlefield 2142, Gears of War, & Crysis.

I am going to be honest and give you my opinion having played the game two years running at GC.The machines that it was playing on were Alienware ALX 51-Area 51s and Aurora's R2-3s which are pretty top end PCs(yeah i know you can build for alot cheaper) by anyone standards.

I can say without a douht that the game will be far more graphical dependant than SWTOR and certantly WOW.Yeah the devs have said it is being designed to play on a varity of set-ups but anyone thinking they can do WvWvW and DE on a low end system that lets you play swtor and wow on high settings is in for a shock.

DE and WvWvW can have 100s of players on screen at the same time and in WvWvW far plane clip should be a must IMO.All i am saying is the graphics far exceed swtor and many other MMO of today.

I think many people will have problems running this game on low end PCs.I am not saying you need a beast but you will need a med range PC to actually play the game to it's fullest.

I might be wrong but seeing the game in the flesh tells me i am not.image

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269

yes its perfectly fine for low settingfs unless the game is unoptimized. take it from me as i am a nerd and a long time gamer. :)

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• CalvinAMiCalvinAMi Member Posts: 8

HOT GAMER CHICK FTW!

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Girls gaming nowadays is not nothing really exceptional anymore. That's why.  It is a good thing actually :)

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Being a gay gamer i have to say that this is the funniest thing i've encountered online, that str8 male gamers don't actually think girls play games as i've encountered and become friends with more girl gamers then guys in my time. In fact those are the ones i have had a lasting friendships with online is the girls, the guys usually just do their own thing and would rather step on you then help you unless you can help them meet the girls LOL

A little update.

I loaded Modern Warfare 3 and set the screen to 1440x900 (native size)

with the following detail level, and it SCREAMS! Very fast with no lag in video or audio.

I have no idea of the framerate, but it is just as smooth at the xbox360 version with excellent datail to boot!

I think i'll be fine for Guild Wars 2   (^_^)

PS: the funny thing is, www.canirunit.com says I should NOT be able to play MW3 at all =) it says i failed...

I THINK I WIN =)

~Syn

Originally posted by itgrowls
    Being a gay gamer i have to say that this is the funniest thing i've encountered online, that str8 male gamers don't actually think girls play games as i've encountered and become friends with more girl gamers then guys in my time. In fact those are the ones i have had a lasting friendships with online is the girls, the guys usually just do their own thing and would rather step on you then help you unless you can help them meet the girls LOL

One of my best friends (offline and on) is also a girl, and she hates it whenever other girls go around "bragging" and making a big deal about how they're "girl gamers". Heck, we hate being called "gamers" at all, and we play games more often than anyone else I know. Video games are my top pastime, but calling myself a "gamer" makes it sound more like some kind of weird lifestyle. ("vidja gaems r mai lyfe")

As anyone who reads my most of my posts might know, I play a lot of TF2. I hear girls on voice chat all the time, and it's extremely rare for anyone to even acknowledge that it's a girl talking. You don't even see the occasional ironic "omg r u a gurl?"

I don't know. Maybe it's still bad on Xbox Live or something, but I figure it's just a matter of time before people stop acting like "girl gamers" are unusual. Other than some of the girls themselves, I think it's mostly just tweens who do this, but they tend to act that way in real life anyway.

Originally posted by pwnasaurus
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198010799042

This sums it up pretty well.

Aaaaanyway, good to see you've got the info you need, OP. Can I Run It is a useful tool, but as you can see, it doesn't take a lot of things into account. My video card uses special drivers that aren't recognized by most things, so I'm constantly told my drivers aren't supported, but they've always worked just fine. (Except for Brink, which told me I didn't meet the requirements and wouldn't even let me run the game.) The best judge of your computer's performance should be yourself.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

i hate guy gamers. they are so uninteresting and bland, all they talk about is how awesome it will be to get the next tier armor set. theyre probably the reason why mmorpgs nowadays feel like going to work... not only do they take things way too seriously they forget that gaming should be fun and that there is a social/community aspect to mmorpgs as well. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

Bet it still beats virtually all of the Intel graphics, even the current ones.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

One of my best friends (offline and on) is also a girl, and she hates it whenever other girls go around "bragging" and making a big deal about how they're "girl gamers". Heck, we hate being called "gamers" at all, and we play games more often than anyone else I know. Video games are my top pastime, but calling myself a "gamer" makes it sound more like some kind of weird lifestyle. ("vidja gaems r mai lyfe")

As anyone who reads my most of my posts might know, I play a lot of TF2. I hear girls on voice chat all the time, and it's extremely rare for anyone to even acknowledge that it's a girl talking. You don't even see the occasional ironic "omg r u a gurl?"

I don't know. Maybe it's still bad on Xbox Live or something, but I figure it's just a matter of time before people stop acting like "girl gamers" are unusual. Other than some of the girls themselves, I think it's mostly just tweens who do this, but they tend to act that way in real life anyway.

its gotten worse over the years. Most of the time i had online friends that were girls were if i played asian games, free games, or games that had some sort of special crafting/player housing. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

And what does being a gay gamer have to do with it?

Originally posted by gessekai332
    i hate guy gamers. they are so uninteresting and bland, all they talk about is how awesome it will be to get the next tier armor set. theyre probably the reason why mmorpgs nowadays feel like going to work... not only do they take things way too seriously they forget that gaming should be fun and that there is a social/community aspect to mmorpgs as well.

This behavior isn't exclusive to males. I assume you're trying to make a point, but I can't tell what it is.

Originally posted by gessekai332
    its gotten worse over the years. Most of the time i had online friends that were girls were if i played asian games, free games, or games that had some sort of special crafting/player housing.

Huh?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don't see the point of comparing male or female gamers (and it have nothing to do with the OP).

Some of the best players I played with have been IRL females, and in many cases don't I know and don't really care either.

I like fun and nice players that at least are slightly competent or want to learn how to be competent (I have trained up a bunch of people myself, I rather recruit a nice person to a guild than a good player, I can learn an inexperienced player to be good but never a jerk to be nice).

The only ones I know that cares are even manchuvianists/feminists that dislike the other sex and horny 14 year old boys that try to pick up girls in the game. I am not sure what is sadest.