Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the EA hate?

xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Im a fairly experienced pc gamer but cant understand the hatred for EA. Other than nickel and diming Sims expansions(which I dont blame them for), why the hate for EA?

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Well for one they are now suing Textron and Bell for the right to use images of those companies aircraft without compensation before Textron and Bell can sue them for doing so. EA doesn't want to pay for the use of someone else's intellectual property but want everyone to pay them for their own intellectual property.

Front page news locally.  http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/01/16/3663746/electronic-arts-sues-to-use-images.html

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • kashiegamerkashiegamer Member Posts: 263

Back in the 80s, Bethesda (makers of Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout, Morrowind) was a small company specializing in sports games. They developed a good system for sports game.

Then EA contacted for partnership for a sports game they are developing, with an agreement that they will help publish Bethesda's games provided that they help EA finish the game they are developing first.

When Bethesda finished the game of EA, EA suddenly dropped the contract and never published Bethesda's game. The sad thing is, the game system that Bethesda made for EA became the foundation of almost all sports games of EA.

The game that Bethesda helped EA make was Madden, the best football game up to now.

I hate EA. >.<

And don't get me started with how they transformed Bioware.

NOTE:

This should be moved to the General Discussion Section, since EA also makes console games.

My Blog About Hellgate Global, an ARPG/FPS hybrid MMO:
    http://kashiewannaplay.wordpress.com/

Hellgate Global Official Fan Blog
    http://t3funhellgate.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hellgate Global, LoL, Skyrim, Morrowind
    Recently Played: Cardmon Hero, Cabal, Oblivion

• IstafeinIstafein Member UncommonPosts: 70

It seems like these guys have a video for everything. Watching this will explain, at least a little bit, why a lot of people  are more than a bit disgruntled with the way EA plays ball.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/an-open-letter-to-ea-marketing

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6-34

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Originally posted by xDayx

Im a fairly experienced pc gamer but cant understand the hatred for EA. Other than nickel and diming Sims expansions(which I dont blame them for), why the hate for EA?

EA has buy a lot of game studios, then run these studios into the ground.   I think is the base. Then theres old wounds about DRM,  but people like Ubisoft with Yet Worse DRM has made these faux steps seems trivial. 

Mostly is kiling lots and lots and lots of good game studios. 

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Yeah, EA and DRM in recent years has been an ugly combination.

Another nasty thing they've done years ago is buying exclusive rights to making licensed NFL football games for the US.  NFL 2K football games were their best competitor to the long-running Madden series of EA.  But the NFL saw EA's $$$'s and what he have are years and years worth of lackluster, apathetically developed football games.  Why try hard when there literally is no legal competition for your franchise?

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

they buy good games developers

then kill them

bullfrog, westwood, mythic, bioware??

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I Boycot EA

They don't test their multiplayer games good enough.

They release buggy multiplayer games.

They want money for multiplayer game maps.

They are lying thieves (BFheroes)

They don't support an open gaming experience (server deals)

They take over development studios and kill them.

They only care about short profit and don't care about the long run and customers.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

poor swtor fans late to the party. EA has been hated for almost 15 years now.

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

Just google EA spouse.  You'll get many of your answers.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• PancakeEffctPancakeEffct Member Posts: 42

Because they  crapped on all the PC gamers and what they were expecting for a sequal for BF2...not COD with vehicles.. Yeh I said it.

Compare all the features from 1942, then compare it to BF3..you would think that the list would be larger for BF3..nope..just better graphics and silencers so everyone can be James Bond.

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by PukeBucket

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts#Criticism

Then there's also..

That image applies to more than just EA. 

I hate EA because they've bought out so many awesome dev houses which magically turned to crud after being enveloped.  Although I hate Activision too, so.....

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by Cavod

Originally posted by PukeBucket
    ..pips..
    That image applies to more than just EA. 

I hate EA because they've bought out so many awesome dev houses which magically turned to crud after being enveloped.  Although I hate Activision too, so.....

Yeah, all companies have delved into it.

EA's made it a lifestyle choice.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Larry Probst.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Yea EA has been buying up good Dev studios since the 80s , then dismantlling them .. Its a business model for them ...

Bioware will be no different than the other 20+ devs they have devoured

Originally posted by Scorchien

Yea EA has been buying up good Dev studios since the 80s , then dismantlling them .. Its a business model for them ...

they already are. game quality has plummeted and "Bioware" is slapped on 9 different companies owned by EA.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Maybe their blatant attitude of trying to grab your money in any way possible sacrificing most of the times the quality of games?

Most companies are atleast more sublety but EA (and activision) make it very obvious

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Originally posted by fony

Originally posted by Scorchien

they already are. game quality has plummeted and "Bioware" is slapped on 9 different companies owned by EA.

Thank You for purchasing your EA product "You have been Bio-lated"

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I have a new reason. .  I download the Kingdoms of Amalur demo on steam.  I then have to log into EA to play a single player demo.  The first thing I am greeting with is a "card" I have unlocked for an item in the full version of the game. . then a card for an item in mass Effect 3.  Anytime I want to play this "offline" single player game. . I have to log in and keep a connection to EA. No thanks.  

Also I was going to go work for Origin on UO - I ended up making a different career choice at the last minute and then watched EA buy them and gut them.   I was glad I made the other choice.  Then I watch them do it to so many other great studios.  Then there was the Sims. . awesome. . now we have Sims Medieval.

I don't hate EA.   I just don't like a lot of what they have done.  I get it. . they are there to make money and they are great at it.  I actually admire them from a business perspective. . except I see them destroying the fields that there success was grown from.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• RaijukinRaijukin Member Posts: 63

this is from another post i wrote so i decided to just copy and paste haha

if you go to battlefield play4free forums you will see EA for who they truly are.. They actually sold people items that where advertised as "Last Forever" and with specific capabilities and then took those items away after purchase and gave them different items that did not match what was advertised and is of lesser value...without even the option for a refund.. They even lied to the players on the forum saying they wouldn’t lose the weapons they bought and then after they removed the weapons they removed their post on the forums.

EA is currently being sued for something similar… EA promised PS3 players a free copy of battlefield 1943 with purchase of the new battlefield 3… and then when it was time to pay up they went back on the deal…

EA is becoming well known for being thieves and liars…

After the people who spent money on Battlefield Play4Free got ripped off they made signatures with pics of the devs and the words “thieves and liars” on it and everyone started to use it…Well they didn’t like that and are now going on a banning spree on anyone who uses the sig..

EA will do anything they can to rip you off or mislead you to purchase their products xD

EA is becoming well known for being thieves and liars…

they have been well known thieves, liars and much worse for roughly 16 years. more if you just count the liar part.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Oh yeah I forgot. . I was a huge fan of BF2. . but have not bothered with BF3 yet.  SImply due to not wanting the hassle.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

EA has systematically taken individually great studios/companies and managed to have these former greats release sub-standard games due to time, lack of focus, etc.

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Think a question is 'does it matter'?

The truth is that gamers can 'hate' a company all they want, they still buy EA games when it comes out.

Mass Effect 2, BF3, FIFA are just some games that are selling millions and will continue to do so.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405

Its EA, whats not to hate?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.