Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Arrives

Comments

• pokrakpokrak Member UncommonPosts: 111

Yee its nice game,

There is about 1 h of game play in demo, good enought to see what this game is like... hoping for mmo like this http://blog.bigworldtech.com/bwblog/tag/copernicus/

and here it is ;)

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

SO MUCH FUN!

Hadn't preordered it before playing the demo, but after having played though it, I'm ~60 dollars poorer. Definitely going to be worth it.

Chakrams are freaking badass, nice to see a game use them.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by Zippy
    I palyed it for 10 minutes or so.  I got to the main scientist (not the guy who follows you around) who created the well of life.  His conversation was either bugged or it was the end of the Demo.  I could only pick one option in his dialogue and it kept repeating in a loop.I did not see a save button.  Was this the end of the Demo or was it more.Hard to judge a game ona  10 min demo.  it seemed like a very generic Diablo type hack and slash.  But hard to say if there is any depth to the game in such a short time.  The graphics and artwork seemed ok.  Not great but not terrible. I was expecting much better graphics and artwork.  But again there are much worse.   I did not leave with a good or bad feeling.  The UI I thought was a bit clunky and should be streamlined for dealing with items.

Seems your install is corrupt? I got out of the starting area and was told I had 45 minutes in which to explore. Exiting that story area got me in to a lovely area, beautiful colours, seems to have much more of the look and feel of an MMO rather than an SRPG like Skyrim. I'm gonna play the demo a few more times as different 'classes' before passing judgement, had to quit early as work tomorrow *curse you real life!*

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Zippy

Originally posted by smh_alot

Originally posted by Dony07

@Zippy It is more or should i say a lot more.

This game is awesome best graphics ever and the best combat system.

Very fun to play and i think by far Kingdoms of Amalur > SWTOR on all aspects.

BTW this is a definite pre-order for me

Isn't this a singleplayer RPG, and not an MMO? So, how does it relate to other singleplayer RPG's like The Witcher 2 and Skyrim when it comes down to graphics and combat system? And is it true what the other poster was saying, that it's only a 10 minute gameplay demo?

I did not say it was a 10 minute demo.  I was asking if it was only 10 mins.  When i got to scientest, Hughes, at the Well of Life which I am guessing is the end of the tutorial.  We had a conversation and it either bugged or it was the end of the demo.  The conversation only gave me one option and looped.  So I don't know.

Graphic wise its not good.  But its not bad.  I mainly play MMOs so it would be betetr than SWTOR but not as good as Rift.  It certainly would not be in the league of Skyrim in terms of graphics.  Floor textures are poor.  Artwork is pretty bland.   Charcter models are fair.  Graphics are much more like a MMO.  But considering they are makinga MMO out of the game it makes more sense.

I tried it again.  Got past Hughes.  Thewe was about 5 minutes more of gameplay.  One boss then the tutorial ended and I was sent tosee the Fteweaver.  After picking a class the tuturial said I had earned a helm if I purchased the game and that was it.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

wait kinbdom of amalur is a single player game yet it its on the front page of this very site? Oh wait it has EA slapped on it.... of course its on this site just like Dragon Age was. MMORPG.com gets kickbacks from EA....

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• DyrttDyrtt Member Posts: 422

Not kickbacks...  Advertising dollars.  You could advertise your garage sale here if you were willing to pay for it.  It's just a commercial for a video game so don't get bent out of shape over it.  geesh!

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by Dyrtt

Not kickbacks...  Advertising dollars.  You could advertise your garage sale here if you were willing to pay for it.  It's just a commercial for a video game so don't get bent out of shape over it.  geesh!

The problem is this leads to bias reviews which we have recently seen. Especially reviews that is for EA games.

Edit: not to mention this site claims to be netural, when obviously they are not.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by SBFord

All I can say is WOW! I am impressed beyond what I expected...and my expectations were very high already. It's worth the Origin install to enjoy this one. I can't WAIT for the full version!

So it's better than Ugly Butt, err Betty? image

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Its on Steam now guys.

go get it.

its a fun game i've played through the demo twice.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Looks nice, but also looks like too flashy of a game for my sandbox single player tastes..

Big giant cartoony weapons, and anime style flashy combos , skills and attacks..

Meh

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Well, I just played Kingdoms of Amalur and I was honestly not very enticed by it. Certainly, the game is well made, is artistically pleasing to the eye, and has a rather involving combat system, but it simply did not excite me. Character building definitely looks fun, with the ability to mix and match abilties to create a very personalized hero, but several aspects of the game seemed very reminiscent to Fable. With that said, I can most certainly assert that I will not be purchasing this game.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Clearly a console game, plays much better on pc with a 360 conroller.

They really need to sort the camera out or at least allow us to zoom out a bit more. The camera issues are actually game breaking.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Played the demo and I must say I really enjoyed playing the demo alot. It is going to be an awesome game! :)

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by aovannor

Clearly a console game, plays much better on pc with a 360 conroller.

They really need to sort the camera out or at least allow us to zoom out a bit more. The camera issues are actually game breaking.

I too felt that zooming out a bit more would be ideal, and my only true gripe is no real jumping... just irks me, but not necessary..  overall though its a solid game with great gameplay.  A nice blend of The Elder Scrolls and Fable.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

The game stops responding right after I equip the bow during the tutorial. The image and all effects stop running and my avatar and the gnome disappear. I can rotate the camera around but the image is static. The sound also seems to loop at this point. And since quick-save doesn't work then quick load doesn't either.

I've tried 3 times and the game stops responding at the samt ime. each time.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by stealthbr

Well, I just played Kingdoms of Amalur and I was honestly not very enticed by it. Certainly, the game is well made, is artistically pleasing to the eye, and has a rather involving combat system, but it simply did not excite me. Character building definitely looks fun, with the ability to mix and match abilties to create a very personalized hero, but several aspects of the game seemed very reminiscent to Fable. With that said, I can most certainly assert that I will not be purchasing this game.

I feel the same way.  The story also seems like it could be interesting, but like you said as well as several others its just too meh.  And then there is the matter of the suppossed open world ~ what total BS...its nothing but linear pathways between semi-open playfields.  Not being able to jump and being forced to runaround everything because you can't step or drop off even a 1ft step is annoying.

I mean in all honesty I would still like to play it someday, but even at the $47.99 pre-order from Newegg, I feel thats still too much.  I'll probably wait a year and get it for $20 or less from a Steam holiday sale or whatever...hehe

And yeah I did recently get back into Skyrim after having been waiting to play the last 2 months for mods to make certain things better ~ for example the UI and other minor features.  Skyrim is heavily influencing this decision for sure, cause man did Bethesda do it right again...the best RPG in the recent years I say and the creation kit is still not released so the modders can really make it shine ever more!  Can't wait, but I can for Amalur...

• OhMyGothOhMyGoth Member UncommonPosts: 56

Pretty fun game, originally wanted to play the demo for the free Mass Effect 3 stuff, but ended up enjoying the game. Reminded me a lot of Fable, which was a game i really enjoyed, will eventually pick this game up later on.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

the demo is fun, i really liked it. But i didnt find the Open world too open, it felt more like the good old linear God of War with some extra space to walk around. Also not being able to jump at all (just a sad attempt to jump off from some specific spots) made me sad. I decided to wait until some holyday deal that the price tag is reduced. Ill definitely get it, but not for 60$

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Khrymson

Well, I would like to play it, but fuck Origin and fuck EA...they're not getting their grimey little fingers inside my PC! 

Oh crap, does Amalur require Origin to play like Mass Effect 3 will?  As in the one time activation BS?  If it does then fuck you again EA...

Cry more.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

i only get a black screen, and a flickering menu when i hit esc.  I guess i'll screw with it tomorrow or something... to tired now.

• FugglyFuggly Member Posts: 141

meh, is there any good mmorpg out that isnt asian? gettin real tired of these things.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Originally posted by Fuggly

meh, is there any good mmorpg out that isnt asian? gettin real tired of these things.

this is far from Asian

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

So I played it.

First off since people seem to be comfused. This is not an MMORPG, and we aren't even sure they are using this engine for the Amalur MMORPG.

I didn't see it on Stream so I downloaded Origin, yuck.

The demo is time limited not area limited so that sucks.

The graphics look great, the gameplay is really fun, pretty standard RPG fare otherwise but it's hard to know because after the timer started I felt kind of rushed and didn't explore like I normally would have.

Somethings that stuck out that I didn't like besides Origin and the time limited demo. You can't control the zoom for the camera which in third person games really irritates the heck out of me.

Also there is no jumping. The space bar makes you "dodge" which is basically a rolling avoidance maneuver. I kind of get why they did it, but they are sure to catch flak for it, especially if this is the engine they are going to make the MMOG with...

There aren't nearly enough graphics options for the PC version.

Tthe menus were clearly designed to accommodate console controllers, which makes them awkward to navigate with mouse and keyboard. This somewhat translates into the mouse control for combat, but it reminds me a bit of DCUO in that regard.

It runs well on fairly low end PCs apparently because after I tried it on my regular gaming PC I tried it on my old PC and it played fine. It is a Core2 2.4, Windows XP3, 4GB RAM, and an overclocked 8800GTS at 1920x1080. 

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

Originally posted by tollbooth

i only get a black screen, and a flickering menu when i hit esc.  I guess i'll screw with it tomorrow or something... to tired now.

Disable Post Processing in the graphics options. This should do the tricks

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Aged graphics , no zoom , console style controls , constrained world

VS

Great story , kick ass combat , random loot , complex character development

Not as good as it could be. But surely a game well worth playing.

With this , Skyrim , FNV - i barely will have time for MMORPGs

I guess single player games win this year...

Well until GW2 that is...