Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why aren't the main characters of the Star Wars saga in the game? Vader, Yoda, Luke, etc...

I mean Lord of the rings has Frodo, Gimli and everyone else.

I just read in this forum they spent like 500mil in the game. but no main characters from the saga!

Was this some form of copyright issue? You think they will add the main characters in the future?

I'm just saying It would be nice to quest along side Vader.

Comments

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

its 4000 years before star wars episode 1.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

are you effing serious? Really?  {mod edit}

• madmikethegmmadmikethegm Member UncommonPosts: 43

This MMO is set so far back in the Star Wars timeline that Yoda is not even an itch in his daddy's pants yet.

I would suggest you research a little bit. ;)

• MagterMagter Member Posts: 289

Originally posted by Weretigar

its 4000 years before star wars episode 1.

Basicly this. It's set before all the little Anakin crap.

Purpose in life is not to gain things, but experience. - Rover64dd

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Because none of those characters are even sperm/eggs yet...heh

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

cause it is 3000 prior to the movie 10000 war happened before sw movie

• DekapitatorDekapitator Member UncommonPosts: 261

Well I didn't know it was set like 3000  years before or after. Im soooooooooooo Sorry

Calm down fellas.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

I don't play, don't know jack about the Old Republic, nor do I care but even I know none of the main SW guys were even glints in their Great-Great-Great ...... Grandpappy's eye's.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• Garland7GGarland7G Member Posts: 97

its set around the "old republic" era of star wars so like the guy above said, its about 4000 years before vader, luke and chewie.

it has nothing to do with copyrights or anything like that. since bioware made previous games set in this era (kotor) they decided to set the mmo there.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

and yet its amazing how the "look" of things  like starships, droids etc havent changed in all those years. like in the smuggler cutscenes at the very begining looks exactly like the Milenium Falcon etc

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Originally posted by Garland7G

its set around the "old republic" era of star wars so like the guy above said, its about 4000 years before vader, luke and chewie.

it has nothing to do with copyrights or anything like that. since bioware made previous games set in this era (kotor) they decided to set the mmo there.

It was actually a pretty smart idea on Biowares part.  One of the problems I always thought was with both Star Wars Galaxies and Matrix Online was the lore was mushed by trying to set them in the times of the movies.  Setting this far out of time to cannon lets them be like Star Wars without having to deal with all the BS that being set in the same time frame would.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

Originally posted by Garland7G

they had to if they wanted so many Jedi/Sith running around

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Originally posted by Kenze

and yet its amazing how the "look" of things  like starships, droids etc havent changed in all those years. like in the smuggler cutscenes at the very begining looks exactly like the Milenium Falcon etc

Yea well James Bond got a invisible car a few movies back and a watch laser that could burn though 6 inches of steel before that so sometimes suspension of disbelief is required to enjoy entertainment.

Or if you really need a reason maybe civilization has reached a technology peak that takes millennium to cross over so they are mostly stagnate?

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Dekapitator

I just read in this forum they spent like 500mil in the game. but no main characters from the saga!

HAH HAH!  That's your problem....reading this forum and thinking anything posted here is truth :D!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Kenze

There is a lot that's different within those same designs. Have you seen the astromech droids? They look archaic. ANd no the ship does not look exactly like the Falcon.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Was this some form of copyright issue? You think they will add the main characters in the future?

becuase it's a Asian grinfest like WoW

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Like others have mentioned the game is set long before them. Besides with all the complaints going on now would they really want to add complaints on how poorly they made vader?

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Because the Star Wars characters are all overly used. 

Honestly, if Bioware promised another Luke/Yoda/blabla gimmicky implementation in SWTOR, I wouldn't have touched the game. I'm just sick of these used & rehashed chars. We've been seeing them for 20+ years ... (and everytime in the same scenarios, same quotes, same costumes).

Idols do need a life cycle in order to avoid saturation, and Star Wars must be the franchise that had the longest of them all. So enough is enough.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Well I didn't know it was set like 3000  years before or after. Im soooooooooooo Sorry

Calm down fellas.

And it didn't cost 500 million, either.  Estimated to be about 100 mill.

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

{mod edit}

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by Hrica

becuase it's a Asian grinfest like WoW

Awesome! Smiling's my favorite.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

I imagine that one reason that Bioware picked this timeline is because it allows them to write their own EU stories without getting murdered by Lucas for screwing it up, lol.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

{mod edit}
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

That's the tradeoff when you want to have thousands of glow-stick wavers runnin' around.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Guys, please don't bait and pile on the OP, even if you have doubts about how authentic the question is.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.